Ultralife

The Saltwater Room [HIATUS]

"You mean, you don't know what's going on?"

 

Daehyun watches Youngjae with confused and weary eyes, he waits for an explanation that clearly isn't going to be provided. He waits and waits but his expression grows sour when the Spirit doesn't even acknowledge him.

Just as he's about to speak they're both frozen at the sight of Zelo floating out from the tent. His eyes are closed as though he's sleeping but his body is glowing strongly and Himchan appears from the tent soonafter.

The fairy tiredly rubs his eyes and releases his wings before fluttering up after the Child. Within the moonlight Daehyun can see the thin fibres of Himchan's fairy dust polluting the air. He hadn't noticed it before.

"He's called to the Moon you see, she calls for her Children to return to her every night when the tides are high." Youngjae states as he stares at the Child and Fairy flying above him. 

"Isn't it impossible though? The oxygen disappears when the atmosphere is breached." Daehyun says as he looks up at the moon, as an Elf of the Summer he always felt offended by the glowing orb. It seemed as though the Moon did not shine brightly upon his sun-kissed skin.

"Who says the Children need oxygen? Zelo defies gravity does he not? He floats and he pushes water with his gravational pull that the Moon grants him." Youngjae explains.

"Unlike us creatures of Season, the Sun and the Moon species are much greater. But unlike us, they cannot co-exist." the Spirit rubs his hands together and freezes the ground once more, refurnishing his icy bed.

"What do you mean? The species have been co-existing just fine, aside from the few quirks here and there." the Elven Prince reasons, he furrows his brows and grits his teeth.

"The Sun Civilization is planning to rid the planet of the creatures of Dark. According to them, only things that exist in the Sun deserve to live, the Spirits, Ghosts and Children that survive in the shadows should disappear." he spits with venom is his voice.

"... but we've never been told of this? Unless they plan on doing this with the Fairies, us Elves are too peaceful... and we don't pay much attention to the land." Daehyun frowns, they often kept to themselves on the Islands.

"Junhong!" the scream from above alarms them both and they look up to see Zelo falling rapidly from the sky. Daehyun and Youngjae scramble to their feet but before they could even move Yongguk was already dashing out of his tent at an inhumane speed.

Zelo falls lifelessly into Yongguk's arms, the glow from his body is gone and the clouds slowly begin to move over the Moon, shading them all in a purple shadow. The Warrior looks down at the Child who slowly opens his eyes.

Zelo's left eye has faded from it's brilliant sapphire to a wintery grey. The contrast is striking and he looks into Yongguk's eyes with an expression that no one can place.

"We need to bring him back to his Kingdom soon." Youngjae says and Himchan clenches his fists, to be honest he isn't sure what that could possibly do. Zelo had been taken from his home for two years now, so why was he being effected by something now?

"I feel that we'll get some answers if we do." the Spirit pushes on and Yongguk looks reluctant. Zelo's gaze hadn't wavered from his face, the Child was blatantly staring at him with his miscoloured eyes and quivering lips as though he wants to say something.

"I also suggest that we stop by the Caverns. I know of a Prophet who can help us." Yongguk doesn't look at Youngjae but the Spirit can tell he isn't trusted. The Warrior glares at him,

"We go through the Civilization, it's been finalized. We'll be able to get proper supplies to last the trip. Then we'll head through the Gallows where the entrance to the Moon Kingdom is rumoured to be." his voice is stern and full of authourity, Youngjae frowns and his eyes glow a soft purple.

"We can't go through the Civilization, there isn't enough time dammit! Zelo and I are both wanted in the Spring Fields so there's no way around." Youngjae curses, slamming his foot on the ground which erupts a small bed of ice around his shoe. Yongguk opens his mouth to argue but Zelo gently touches his arm.

"We should find the Prophet." his voice is light and airy as though it's one with the wind. Yongguk furrows his brows as he looks into Zelo's beautiful eyes, the Child feels so faint in his arms, as though he'll disappear at any moment.

"... Fine. We head to the Autumn Caverns tomorrow."

 

Ultralife - Oh Wonder