Sick of Losing Soulmates

The Saltwater Room [HIATUS]

In the middle of the night, Zelo wakes. His body feels light but his heart feels oh so heavy, it pounds in his chest and his ears ring with heated blood. He doesn't feel so well all of a sudden. The Child sits up in the dark, careful not to disturb the Warrior sound asleep beside him. Zelo glances down at the sleeping man, they'd naturally moved closer whilst unconscious, seeking warmth in the Autumn Caverns.

Yongguk's arm was naturally resting over Zelo's lap, holding him close. Although Zelo wasn't sure whether the Warrior was seeking warmth or he'd merely moved closer without knowing why. After all, his body was not warm in the slightest. Zelo wonders why Yongguk did not stir upon him moving, normally the Warrior would open his eyes at the slightest sound, yet here he was sleeping like a child.

He must've been exhausted. 

Zelo eyes the sole stream of moonlight peeking through the curtains and he watches the way it changes across the plains of the blanket covering them. With a sigh he moves out of the bed, letting Yongguk's arm hold nothing as he makes his way towards the kitchen. Perhaps a drink was what he needed, his throat was parched and maybe that would help him escape from his thoughts for awhile.

As he enters the living room he notes how the planks beneath his feet moan under his weight, the sound resonates through the quiet house and when Zelo lifts his head he sees a silhouette on the front porch. Through the moonlit curtains he can recognize those fairy wings anywhere and he doesn't hesitate to step outside. He doesn't put on his shoes or any other outerwear, which allows the Autumn air to touch his skin.

"Himchan," Zelo says softly to announce his presence. The Fairy doesn't turn to look at him, instead he simply acknowledges him and sits still, his head tilted up towards the sky. Zelo walks towards him, wanting to see those silver eyes that usually reassured him. Himchan does look at him after some time and the skin around his eyes are rubbed raw, as though he's been crying.

"Fly with me?" Himchan asks with a sad smile and his wings flutter, fairy dust encasing the air around them. Zelo follows after the Fairy who leads the way, even though he has numerous questions he wishes to ask he knows that now is not the time. It was rare that Himchan ever had his wings exposed when he wasn't using them, unlike other Fairies he did not show his wings with pride. Shame Zelo thought, they were lovely.

The Autumn Caverns are eerily quiet in the night, it felt like those myths that was often told to children when they were young to keep them out of the woods. Zelo was thankful that Himchan didn't go too high, he didn't feel as secure flying as he did before. Everything felt too light all of a sudden when he was high up, he didn't want to burden anyone with whatever he was. 

"Talk to me?" Zelo calls out as they hover in the sky for a moment too long. Nothing but the sound of Himchan's fluttering wings runs through their heads, the occasional calls of crickets were heard as well but they were hidden in the long grass metres beneath. They both find purchase in a barren tree, sitting on the cold bark that only manages to support them slightly.

"You seem like you have something to say to me," Himchan says instead and there it is. That brotherly smile that always made Zelo feel so safe, the same smile that told him things would be alright whenever he woke from his nightmares. He feels so guilty, he can only rely on Himchan heavily, when the Fairy himself has no one of the same sort. Zelo cradles his knees up to his chest and he leans against the tree trunk,

"Everyone's wasting their time on me, it honestly doesn't matter that much that I return home or not. A Prince, a General, a Prophet, you, Youngjae hyung, it's all so unfair that you're spending your days on something so trivial," Zelo says honestly. There are a load of contradictions in his words, and although he's aware that they were all helping him for their own reasons, his mind wouldn't stop harrassing him.

"I especially feel sorry to..." Zelo trails off as he looks back longingly at the home of the Prophet, there is a little wisp of smoke escaping from the chimney and he can see the Prophet moving about through the windows. 

"Yongguk?" Himchan finishes for him and judging by how the Child curls more into himself it's not hard to tell that he was correct. Silence overcomes them as Himchan waits for Zelo to say the next words. The silence isn't overbearing however, instead it wraps them both in a blanket, a blanket of their years together in confinement. 

"I no longer have dreams. My nights are simply dark. I float in nothing when I sleep, everywhere I look it's black. I fear that'll happen if I ever vanish," he whispers quietly into his knees. He buries his face and hides himself, he slept during the day anyhow so why did his body insist on resting at night as well? Zelo stops his thought, it wasn't like he was ever in the light, ever since he was born, he was left in the dark.

"Don't worry so much Junhong, we're all working together to keep you safe. And even if the others are only curious about the Moon Kingdom, I promise I'll protect you," Himchan words only reach certain parts of his worries, easing them in an instant. Another part of them are left cut open, hanging for attention, something only the warmth from the Sun could give him. He hates himself for being so selfish.

 

The next morning is a rainy one and the atmosphere amongst all of them is slightly tense. Well, mostly between the Ghost and the Fairy as well as the Elf and Spirit. In the latter's case it wasn't all too unusual for Youngjae to be on guard, since Daehyun was a naturally affectionate and rambuntious person but unlike before, both of them seem solemn. Even Daehyun.

"Thank you for letting us stay in your home for the night, will it really be alright for you to leave it like this?" Yongguk asks as they all exit one by one, the Ghost exits last naturally however he doesn't even lock the door. He simply leaves it as it is and he follows the others towards their horses. Jongup smiles and he shakes his head,

"My house cannot be found unless I allow it to be," he says simply and Yongguk can't recall having known whether Ghosts were able to use any kind of magic. If anything he knew the Spirits could cast magic and maybe the Fairies. Magic wasn't unheard of in their lands, however it was very rare and almost impossible so rarely did anyone pay attention to it.

"Will you be riding with me then Jongup?" Youngjae asks as he approaches his horse, he gently her mane and reminds her that he's still around. Yongguk does the same with his own horse, and Zelo cautiously does the same. Since it's raining and the skies are heavily cloudy, he has no reason to hide himself and for once the others see him without any kind of glow or transparency.

"I suggest we walk through the Fields, it may take longer but after the rain passes we can ride," the Prophet states and surprisingly no one argues with him. They all set off on foot, unbothered by the misty rain falling down upon them. Zelo walks with Yongguk and Himchan while Daehyun and Youngjae trail behind, the Prophet silently flies beside them. His black cloak looks menacing as it curls around him.

"Junhong?" Himchan calls out worriedly as the Child hurries ahead, he squats down and he's completely enchanted by small flowers strewn through the dirt. Curious, he tilts his head side by side, examining them. Jongup gently lands beside him and he can tell by the way Zelo looks up at him that he wonders what they are. They appear to be small white flowers, 6 petals curl upwards while yellow pollen and a green bud sit in it's centre.

"These are known as skeleton flowers, the white petals become transparent when they're wet," Jongup explains with a smile and he appreciates how his black eyes don't exactly frighten the Child, only make him slightly uneasy then again that was a usual reaction. Zelo's eyes light up upon learning the identity of the flowers and he let's his fingertips brush across the transparent petals,

"They're kind of like me," he says quietly before he stands and continues on his way. Zelo returns to Himchan's side and he tells the Fairy and Warrior of his discovery, since they'd only been watching on the sidelines. Aside from Zelo's melodic chatter, they were all quite quiet. It was unusual for the Child to be talkative in the first place so they were all listening, except for Youngjae.

Youngjae's mind is empty, empty with nothing but a certain Elven Prince who won't leave his thoughts. His words from last night ring in his ears, reminding him of something he wasn't sure of at the moment. Daehyun remains distant and silent, like he has heavy thoughts on his mind as well, so much so that he hadn't bothered the Spirit once this morning. Not after they woke in each other's arms, lips inches apart.

After an hour of walking they reach the threshold Autumn Caverns, nothing but green grass stretches out in front of them and they cross the border, returning to the Spring Fields. It's raining here as well, heavier than in the Caverns now that there's no trees covering them. As they ease up a small hill, Youngjae's shoes slip on the wet grass and he falls back.

Daehyun is quick to catch him but Youngjae must've been startled because he unconsciously unleashes his power, causing the rain on Daehyun's skin to freeze. Shocked, the Elf staggers backward as his body is covered in a layer of extremely potent frost, he cries out as his skin burns and Youngjae watches in utter horror, unable to remove it. 

"Daehyun?!" Yongguk rushes over and he hurriedly pulls his friend towards him, warming him up with his natural body warmth. Daehyun shivers in his arms and white puffs of breath escape from his trembling lips. He looks down at the ground and Youngjae is absolutely stunned, looking down at his hands as though he couldn't believe he had done such a thing.

"I already didn't trust you Spirit, now I will never come to trust you," Yongguk seethes, eyes burning with rage as he looks over the damage done onto his friend's golden skin. Youngjae doesn't know what to say, he can't even defend himself. The frost on Daehyun's body is now gone, reduced to nothing but water but his arms are burned, not severely thankfully.

"If this is nothing but a trap-"

"No, I didn't mean to! Us going through the Fields has nothing to do with the Spring King, I only accepted that mission because I was in a desperate place!" His pleas fall upon deaf ears and no one says anything else. Daehyun grips Yongguk's sleeve and he says something that Youngjae can't hear. He stands back up on his feet and takes deep breaths.

"We continue on, I'll be watching you closely Spirit," Yongguk commands and he returns to the front of the group. Daehyun doesn't say a word and he lifelessly follows the others leaving Youngjae behind. The Spirit quickly regains his composure and he hurries after them, he reaches out to grab Daehyun's hand and his heart aches when the Elf pulls away violently.

"I-I'm sorry Daehyun, I didn't mean to hurt you, I-I was lost in thought and you surprised me," Youngjae tries his best to sound sincere, he feels horrible about the burns on the Elf's skin. Daehyun avoids his eyes and he never thought it'd hurt him this badly, ever since they met Daehyun had gone on and on about his eyes, now he wouldn't even look at them.

"It's alright Youngjae, don't worry about it. Don't worry about Yongguk hyung either, he just... he cares about me," and you don't, so please stop. The unsaid words linger between both of them. Daehyun regroups with the others and Zelo suddenly floats up in the sky, his body elegantly twists and glides as he collects rain water and he soothes the burns on Daehyun's skin.

Youngjae watches in awe and he looks down at his hands. Unlike Zelo, his kind did not heal, they only killed. He clenches his hands tight and he grits his teeth. He was Winter Spirit, a species of frost and murder, of the darkness. Daehyun on the other hand was a creature of the light, he was a Summer Elf who had grown to know love and warmth.

He was so far away.

 

Sick of Losing Soulmates - Dodie Clark

 

-----------------------------

A/N

I swear I didn't forget about this fic aha

Same old excuses, I've been busy ^^ thank you for being patient with me <3

I mean is the daejae drama a little sudden? Kind of, but at the same time, yesterday's scene struck something in both of them

Please comment~ lemme know what y'all think is going to happen now ^^

Thank you! Also, every time I write I refer to Zelo as Junhong now aha so it was really weird going back to Zelo

- Airi