Run

The Saltwater Room [HIATUS]

Zelo tip toes towards the window sill when the evening comes upon them. He gently pulls the large red curtains back revealing the Spring Fields and he gingerly removes the screw holding one of the glass panels.

As he's done many times before, Zelo takes out one of the panels and places it by his feet, resting it against the door to keep it from toppling over and shattering. He then kicks off of the ground and fits himself through the opening.

Zelo stretches his limbs when he's outside and he spins around, revelling under the moonlight. He sits himself down on the rooftop and raises his arms, looking over his shimmering skin with interest.

To be honest, Zelo could take off right now. He could've flown away years ago, but he chose not to for fear of what would happen to him without the protection of shelter. 

The thought of vanishing without a trace was absolutely terrifying. He had early memories of moments when he looked at his arm that was no longer there and it was scary. A memory he repressed to keep himself sane.

Zelo reached up towards the moon and his eyes lidded as he wondered what the Warrior's golden skin would look like under the gentle glow of the Moon. He'd only ever met Fairies and Children before so the appearance of a Warrior was unexpected.

Yongguk had an overall feel of warmth. He seemed like someone that could protect and someone that would be a great ally, loyalty never swaying. Unlike Zelo himself, who had an unapproachable aura.

Himchan had told him once that at the beginning he'd been afraid to talk to him because he was the type that got lost in his own activities easily and bothering him did not seem like an option.

Zelo sighed and dove head first off of the roof, he fell for a moment before he caught himself in the air, right in front of his window. His empty eyes looked up at the sky and he couldn't get Yongguk's words out of his head.

"Junhong-ah, mind joining me for a fly?" Zelo turned around and he saw Himchan smiling at him through the window pane. He smiled and nodded, watching as Himchan stepped into the sky, he released his wings and hummed as he lead the way.

"I think you know what I want to talk to you about." Himchan says as they sit in one of the trees above the rose maze in the outer court area of the Castle. Zelo's eyes linger on Himchan's pearl coloured wings that he seldom sees, they resembled that of a dragonfly rather than the normal butterfly look.

"The Sun Warrior?" Zelo guesses and Himchan hums in response, sitting on a thick branch comfortably before he hides his wings. He never said anything about it but Zelo knew he was self conscious about them.

"I took a moment to speak with him after he left your room earlier today. He's an easy going man so I couldn't decipher his intentions, so I spoke to his soldiers." Himchan begins and Zelo can only remember the Warrior being very distant with him.

"They all told me he was a great man and although he may be impulsive, everything works out for him in the end. They call him a symbol of luck it seems and he's known for his heart of gold." he explains whilst watching the Child's expression closely.

"Do you think we can trust him Junhong?" Himchan asks the dreaded question and Zelo simply lowers himself onto a branch, holding onto the tree trunk protectively as though he would fall.

"I'm not sure whether he can be trusted but I do believe he's worth taking a risk for." Zelo replies and his words echo in the space around them. Himchan purses his lips and stands on his feet.

"I agree with you. Let us return before you catch a cold." before you're taken away from me. Zelo doesn't say anything and he simply jumps off of the tree, soaring in the sky before he fits himself through the opening to his room, returning to his prison cell for a little while longer.

 

The next day news travelled throughout the Castle that the Sun Warriors were departing and the thought of being left behind made Zelo wary and paranoid. He hated how he was depending so much on a man he had absolutely no reason to depend on.

He hopes and prays that he'll return.

"Junhong we should leave now, before we lose our chance." Himchan says to him as their sitting in his room. Zelo looks at him skeptically mostly because he's worried about what could happen if they were caught.

"We'll go out through the window. The night is still young, everyone is preparing for dinner, we'll have time." Himchan reasons and Zelo can tell he's getting anxious. It goes against his better judgment but he decides to follow Himchan's plan.

"Is there anything we need to take with us?" Zelo asks as Himchan hands him some Spring garments, the Fairy shakes his head and they get dressed. Himchan made sure to take all of his pocket money with him as well as a cloth to cover Zelo from the Sun when it rose.

"And where do you think you're going?" a familiar voice calls from behind them and Zelo looks at the door in alarm, his eyes running over the King and numerous soldiers stood by his side.

"Seriously? We haven't even done anything yet." Zelo blurts out and Himchan sends him a glare, the King scoffs and tilts his head before his soldiers move towards the two.

"Take them away, punishment will be delivered in the morning." the King orders and Zelo inwardly rolls his eyes at what's occuring. Maybe he and Himchan were never meant to escape after all.

 

"Guards in the sky heard of your little scheme with the General of the Sun Civilization. We sent them off the next day and were hoping that you two wouldn't attempt an escape anyways, I was wrong." The King sighs as though he's deeply regretful.

He looks at the Child who is locked in the cage, eyes wide as he watches the thin line where the shadows end and the sunlight begins. His breath is heavy and he looks absolutely beautiful in the King's twisted eyes.

Himchan on the other hand is being held back by soldiers, he's unable to do anything but helplessly watch. The King approaches Zelo's cage and the Child can only cower from him.

Suddenly he whips a gust of wind against the cage and Zelo cries out as the cage carries him into the sunlight, his body aching from where the metal had hit his limbs. 

He completely freezes and he looks up at the sky, seeing the Sun bleeding down on him. Zelo begisn to whimper and he can feel his body getting lighter, he attempts to move but for some reason he can't.

"Stop! He'll disappear if you don't stop!" Himchan yells and the King scoffs at him for trying to give orders to the highest authority in the Spring Fields. Zelo's breath grows short and he hypervenilates as his skin begins to grow translucent.

"Zelo!" Himchan screams and suddenly the soldiers holding him back fall to the ground lifelessly one by one. He turns his head and sees Yongguk standing behind him with an angered expression on his face. 

"Soldiers!" the King gestures to the Sun Warrior and they begin to advance towards Yongguk. Zelo regains himself at the sight of the Warrior and he takes a deep breath before he holds his hands out to the large fountain beside him.

Zelo slowly begins to push and pull the water and his vision grows bleary with tears when he notices the fingertips on his hands beginning to disappear. Zelo grits his teeth and cries out before he submerges the courtyard in water.

The soldiers are swept away by the water and the King follows them, Yongguk and Himchan however hold onto a pillar with dear life as the water level begins to lower.

Yongguk immediately runs over to Zelo and kicks the latch of the cage violently before he pries it open. The Warrior pulls out the Child and he's confused at how light Zelo feels.

They throw themselves into the shade and Yongguk covers Zelo in a drenched cloth hoping that it'd increase the protection from the Sun somehow. Yongguk wipes his face of water and looks at Zelo,

"Can you walk? We need to get out of here." Yongguk asks and Zelo nods shakily, holding onto Yongguk's hand as they make they way towards the stable, Yongguk hauled Himchan to his feet along the way.

"Zelo you're riding with me." Yongguk says as he reaches ShiShi, Zelo is gently lifted onto the horse and Yongguk makes sure not an inch of his skin is hit by the sunlight.

"Let's go." Himchan calls out to them as he appears on his own horse. Zelo blinks at the creature and Yongguk doesn't protest before they begin running from the Castle.

"Why don't you just fly?" Yongguk asks and Himchan shrugs,

"It's too tiring and it's easier to get caught in the air." he explains and considering how quiet it is Zelo wonders if his and Himchan's escape wasn't too important to the King after all.

Zelo wraps his arms around the Warrior sitting in front of him and he lets out a sigh of relief, his body still shivering at what had occured. His skin was beginning to revert to it's usual state and his fingers were whole once again.

"I thought you left me." Zelo whispers and Yongguk almost misses it if it weren't for him payng close attention to the Child. He takes a deep breath and looks up at the Sun.

"I didn't know you could control water." he replies instead and Zelo feels slightly hurt at the intimate moment being ruined but he doesn't dwell on it for too long. He holds onto Yongguk tighter when they reach an uneven road.

"The Moon is responsible for the ocean's waves, we as her Children inherited this gift as well." Zelo explains and he's hit with exhaustion. Yongguk nods at his answer and looks over to Himchan.

"Sleep for now Zelo. I'll wake you when we reach the Summer Islands."

 

Run - Epik High

 

-----------------------------------

A/N

This chapter wasn't that good but I'm just happy they're free so I can start the actual story LOL

Make sure y'all check out my new banglo that I'm focusing on alongside this one ^^

Le Noir

Thank you to my commenters, readers, voters and subscribers!

Please comment, it'd mean a lot :D

- Airi