Heart Hope

The Saltwater Room [HIATUS]

Daehyun swings his legs back and forth with a bright smile on his face as he eyes the Moon Child across from him. Unlike him, an Elf of the Summer, the Moon Child is cowering under the Sun whilst Daehyun glows.

"You see, this is a story my Mother told me a long time ago. Back when I was a child." he begins slowly and Zelo's eyes are wide, holding onto every word the Elf muttered at this point.

"He was a boy born from the darkness and so even the Sun repelled him. The boy could only live under the cover of night, within the shadows." Daehyun's voice carries around then and even Himchan and Yongguk are paying close attention.

"They called him an abomination and when he was discovered they chased him day and night, hunting him down." Zelo swallows hard and he unconsciously looks at the Sun lit ground beneath him.

"W-who hunted them?" he asks in a shaky tone, his hands gripping tighter on the cloak covering him. Daehyun glances at the Warrior and back to the Child, his smile never leaving.

"The Light species. The Elves, The Fairies and the Warriors." he replies and everything goes silent for a moment, all three of them waiting for Daehyun to continue but the Elf makes no efforts.

"H-how does the story end?" Zelo asks and Daehyun's smile slowly fades, he tilts his head to the side and the Child feels afraid under his deep green gaze. Yongguk unconsciously looks back at the teen.

"I'm not sure, the story tells of a boy who disappeared under the Sun. Some say he disappeared some say he was persecuted. My Mother however told me one thing." Daehyun says and Zelo's breath hitched.

"It never ended."

 

After Daehyun's story time the group fell into an uncomfortable silence. Of course the Elf wasn't effected and he simply sang whilst bathing under the warm rays of the Sun.

Himchan and Daehyun stray from Yongguk and Zelo due to the odd placement of the trees and the silence overwhelms them. Yongguk isn't dense and he can tell Daehyun's story was on the Child's mind.

It was on all of their minds. A story that had been unheard of till now, even Yongguk hadn't been aware and he was a Sun Warrior. He took a deep breath and looked up at the sky, seeing how the Sun was beginning to set.

"You know, I have a twin brother. His name is Yongnam and he's a school teacher." Yongguk begins and judging by the way Zelo's head lifts from his back he now has the younger's attention. 

"We're a species of stamina and agility so majority of us grow up to be a part of the army or part of the guard systems. My brother however went against my parents and became a teacher. He's a pacifist you see, he dislikes violence." Yongguk continues.

"What about you?" Zelo's small voice says from behind him and Yongguk raises an eyebrow, trying to contemplate the teen's question. Mostly he just wanted to make sure they were on the same page.

"Do you dislike violence?" Zelo asks in a clear manner despite his voice being muffled due to the cloak. Yongguk purses his lips and thinks about the teen's question.

"I am a General of the army am I not?" he replies with a question and things grow quiet. Yongguk watches as the Sun slowly sets and the whole world is dyed in a warm hue of orange.

"Being a General can mean a number of things. You like violence and you like fighting. Or, you like to serve, you want to protect. Which one is it, Yongguk?" the Warrior freezes upon hearing his name spoken with the Child's tongue and the skies darken above them.

As the Sun sets completely Zelo immediately takes flight. They reunite with Daehyun and Himchan who seem to have somehow grown less fond of one another. They reach a clearing that opens up to a river and Yongguk points to it.

"Let's set up camp here. We'll rest for the night. It'll be some time before we reach the next town." Yongguk suggests and no one protests. They'd been travelling all day after all.

Yongguk guided ShiShi towards the river first and Himchan followed on the horse he now called Tats. Daehyun however hopped off the creature first and he began to assess the water.

"There's fish in here, and it's safe to drink." he says and Himchan scoffs as he gets off of Tats, tying the horse to a tree beside ShiShi. Zelo lets his feet touch the floor and he tightens the ribbon keeping up his hair.

"And how can we trust that Elf?" Himchan rolls his eyes as he and Yongguk begin removing the tents from the bags hanging off of the saddles. Daehyun narrows his green eyes at Himchan and sighs.

"I know more about water and fish than you do Fairy. You sure your pretty little hands know how to set up an Elven tent?" Daehyun teases although his face reflects not even the slightest bit of his playful tone.

"Oh you little-!" Himchan looks at though he's about to reveal his wings and attack the Elf but Yongguk stops him. He runs his hand down his face and glares at Daehyun.

"You two need to get along if we're going to travel together. Daehyun stop snickering to yourself." Yongguk warns at the Elf who's body is twitching as he tries not to laugh aloud.

 

"And so there I was, working on my water tricks. And then BAM a dolphin comes out of nowhere and I break a rib." Daehyun howls loudly at how funny he finds his own story and the two elder's can only stare at him in disbelief.

"Yeah don't believe what anyone says about how Elves can talk to sea creatures just cause we morph. It's a complete lie." Daehyun shakes his head and Yongguk looks over to Zelo who's sitting by the river.

"So Daehyun why don't you tell Himchan about the time you drowned?" Yongguk offers and Himchan sends him the dirtiest glare he'd ever seen. Daehyun blinks in surprise and laughs,

"So my Mother told me there's no chance I'd drown because I can breathe underwater so I decided to test that theory." just as Daehyun begins his story Yongguk makes a gesture to go get some water and he leaves.

Zelo is sitting with his knees up to his chest, his head tilted upward as his white hair glows softly. Unlike the other nights when the Moon was bright, tonight there were clouds covering it.

Yongguk doesn't do anything to inform the teen of his presence and he simply sits beside him. Zelo instantly turns to look at him and Yongguk looks into those blue eyes with curiosity.

Zelo slowly positions his body so that he's facing the Warrior and he hesitantly reaches forward, silently asking Yongguk for some kind of permission that the Warrior does not understand. Nonetheless he nods.

Zelo slowly begins to let his fingertips hover over the man's face. He feels lost in those golden eyes and he likes the way Yongguk's face has a beauty mark here and there.

He lets his fingers run through the Warrior's short brown locks and he gently cups Yongguk's cheek.

His skin is warm. Golden. Unlike his own.

Even with clothing on Zelo can tell that Yongguk's body is thin yet muscular. He carries himself differently than Zelo does, he's brave and bold, it looks at though he doesn't fear a single thing.

Zelo grins at the elder and his eyes widen at how the teen's face scrunches up adorably. His eyes disappearing whilst a small dimple forms in his cheek, he looks absolutely beautiful.

Yongguk can't help but smile back and Zelo is delighted at the sight of a heart felt gummy grin. It changes Yongguk's serious expression almost completely but barely.

"I'd like to thank you for saving me Yongguk. Honestly, thank you so much." Zelo's voice dances with the steady flow of the river and Yongguk's breath hitches. He clenches his fist unconsciously and Zelo pulls his cold hand away from the elder's cheek.

"We should rest." the Child says quietly before he kicks off of the ground, floating towards Himchan and Daehyun without looking back at the Warrior he left behind.

 

"Good morning starshine, the earth says hello!" Daehyun's loud voice is what wakes them a few hours later. The Sun was going to rise in an hour or so and it was the prime time to get back on the road.

"Daehyun, did you wake up last night?" Yongguk asks as he and the Elf work on folding up their tent. Himchan folds the tent he shared with Zelo on his own since the teen was forced to sit beneath the shade, even though the Sun was nowhere in sight.

"I had a strange dream, it startled me that's all." Daehyun waves off the elder's concerned tone nonchalantly and Yongguk furrows his brows. They settle the folded tents back into their bags and Daehyun chews on his lower lip.

"It's always the same purple eyes. If only I knew what it meant." Daehyun says to himself mostly and Yongguk knows not to continue the conversation. It was clear that was all Daehyun was going to share with him.

"I know we said we'd travel mostly at night but the forest is dangerous when the Sun isn't up." Yongguk looks at the Child who's bundled up under the cloak once more and he sighs.

"We'll be at the next town soon enough. Let's go." Himchan sighs as they all get on the horses and continue through the forest path. Everyone remains oddly quiet and even Daehyun has nothing to say.

The Sun rises much quicker than anticipated and Zelo watches from beneath the safety of his cloak as the world is enveloped by light. It looks like the flowers tilt upwards to the Sun's warmth and Zelo can even see small animals coming out from their trees.

Why couldn't he live under the Sun?

Suddenly a rough impact knocks Zelo off of the horse and his body rolls onto the ground harshly. He cries out in pain as his cloak flies from his grip and he's lying on the grass under the Sunlight.

"Junhong!" Himchan cries out for the teen and before he can fly towards him they see someone walking out from beneath the shadows. The person has a smirk on their pink lips and their left hand is curled upwards, their fingertips are a whitish blue.

Zelo reaches out to touch his right arm that's gone numb from the impact and he's shocked to see it covered in a thin layer of frost. He wants to reach for the cloak but he can't move. He feels his body growing lighter beneath the Sun and he takes a deep breath.

Daehyun purses his lips and he knows he's met with that same pair of purple eyes that haunt his dreams.

 

Heart Hope - Oh Wonder

 

-----------------------------

A/N

Not my best chapter but oh well xD

Daehyun ranges from strange to loud and rambunctious, he's weird LOL

Thank you to all of my commenters, readers, voters and subscribers~

I'm gonna focus on drabbles and my one shots for a lil bit

Also please check out Le Noir, my angsty angst story that involves twisted topics like , drugs and :D (psst it's at 199 subs >.<) also check out Monologue, I barely update this story but it's at 199 too LOL

- Airi