Chapter 7 - Judgement

Introducing K-pop: Season 1

Chapter 7- Judgement

 


“This is going to be fun.” Zelo states as the group walks down the hall. The others nod in agreement. “We work out, but most of the funniest variety shows are always the interactive ones.” Daehyun says. Youngjae looks at him. “True but isn’t it great that we got invited. We’ve been watching this show since it started airing.” he states. “It’s new but a lot of people are watching it.”

“So anyone know who the other special guests are?” Suyun asks. Himchan looks at her. “If I’m correct, there are the members of Twice, JJCC, and Monsta X. Oh Hana, Hyosung, Jieun, and Sunhwa are going to be here too.” he says.

Keya looks up from her phone. “What? Hyosung?” she asks. “Really? Yay that means I get to hang out with her more.” she says. Yongguk looks at her. “You really like her.” he says. Keya looks back at him. “Because she’s a great person. Hey, if I was a bit more into her and I had a chance, I would try to date her.”

“So she’s your girl crush.” Jongup says. Keya shrugs. “One of them, yeah.” she says. Himchan looks at her. “So exactly what is your type?” he asks. “Because I remember Stacy saying Yongguk was your ideal type. But I believe I’ve heard Amber and Henry mentioned once before too. I’m not saying they’re not good looking because they are. But pair them up by gender and they’re like opposites.”

Keya shrugs. “Well I really don’t take appearances into account when judging people. Especially when it comes to dating or ideals.” she states. “For example, with you guys, all of you are good looking. And for me, Yongguk is the most handsome and Daehyun is the most gorgeous. But I would only date Yongguk.” she says. “Why? Because it’s his personality that I’m comfortable with when it comes to something like dating. I’m not saying I don’t like Daehyun’s personality, but he has one of the personalities of those I tend to friend-zone.”

“Looks don’t determine how someone will act.” Zelo states. Keya nods. “Exactly. I mean, all of you guys are different then what some excepted you guys to be like.” she says. “Best example is once again, Daehyun. When you guys debuted, everyone thought he was the quiet one, but as all know now, he’s the one who talks the most.”

The others nod in agreement as they stop in front of a door labeled ‘LP Team B’. “They said to just go in right?” Youngjae asks. When the others nod, he knocks on the door before opening it. “Oh, hey guys and girls.” The groups walk into the room to find the girls of Secret, sitting around. “Our team leaders went to discuss something with the other team leaders, so they’ll be back soon.” Jieun informs.

As the group move to find places to sit, Keya hops over to the couch, sitting down next to Hyosung. “Good afternoon Miss Hyosung.” she greets. “How are you today?” she asks. Hyosung turns to her and smiles. “Hi Keya, I’m doing good.” she greets back. “And how are you? How’s the practice going? You all only have a few more days until the competition right?” she asks.

Keya nods as she looks over at Yongguk who was currently talking with Jieun and Himchan. “Yeah, we’re getting there. With so little time, we’re practicing as much as we can. But as to be expected, there’s parts that’s giving us trouble.” she states looking back at Hyosung. “And I don’t even know how Himchan and Suyun are doing since we can’t discuss the dances.”

“One of the rules?” Hyosung asks. Keya nods. “Yeah, but I think they’re fine.” she says. Hyosung nods. “The competition is on Monday right?” she asks. “We were discussing that if we’re done with our schedules for that day, that we’ll come to root for you all.” she informs. Smiling, Keya adjusts her glasses. “Really? That’ll be great.”

“So, how are you getting along while staying here?” Hyosung asks. Keya lightly shrugs. “I’ve been doing okay. Suyun and her sister are a big help. So are the boys. Daehyun’s even been helping me with my writing.” she says. Hyosung tilts her head. “You don’t know how to write in Hangul yet?” she asks.

Keya sighs. “I’m still learning it. It confuses me sometimes.” she says. Hyosung nods. “Well maybe I can help out too.” she says. Turning to the table not far from them, Hyosung takes one of the pieces of paper that sat on top. As she turns back around, Keya pulls a pencil out her pocket. “I’m still coping with the fact that there’s not an equivalent letter in the Korean alphabet for every letter in the English alphabet. That and the systems are different too.”

Hyosung nods as she takes the pencil from Keya and begins writing the Korean alphabet on the paper. “One of the hardest parts about being bilingual is trying to connect the two languages correctly.” she says. She then hands the pencil back to Keya. “What all has he gone over with you? You know most of the basic words correct?” she asks.

Keya nods as she takes the pencil. “Yeah, I’m good with numbers and all. But it’s more of when trying to write out sentences.” she says. Hyosung nods slightly. “Well, how good is your reading?” she asks. Keya tilts her head to the side. “Way better than my writing.” she says with a small laugh. “Daehyun said my reading level is around middle school level.”

“Then have you tried just writing what you read? You already recognize the words. So that’s good.” Hyosung says. “Just try writing what you remember seeing.” she says. Keya nods as she slowly begins writing on the paper. “That’s what Daehyun’s having me do. Write down things I remember seeing or write something he had me read earlier.”

After a few minutes, the door opens and a man wearing a red vest walks in followed by two younger boys who Keya recognized as members from Monsta X. Kihyun and Jooheon if she was correct. “Hello all.” he greets. “Welcome newcomers, I’m Jungsuk. Thanks for joining us.” he says. Moving around the room, the three greet the boys of B.A.P., Keya and Suyun.

“Okay now, as you all know, we’re a sports variety show.” Jungsuk starts. “I’ll be one of the team leaders for Team B. Our other leader will be joining us soon. So until then, I’ll go over the different challenges that we’ll be doing in today’s race, and we can discuss and plan who will participate in which challenge.” he states. The other fourteen listen attentively as Jungsuk begins to explain the game.

After done explaining, Jungsuk looks around at the group to make sure that they understood. “So, at each challenge, there are two parts. First part is the quiz. You have to answer all the questions correctly before moving onto the second part. And the second part is the sport.” he explains. “They haven’t told us which order the challenges will be though.” he says. Picking up a marker from the table, Jungsuk moves over to the board that was pinned up on the wall.

“Today is outdoor track. We think there will be about four people for each event. We’ll be doing sprinting relay, so we’ll have to think of who’s the fastest; hurdles, of the four who do this at least three have to clear them; a lifting relay, which has to be done with two pairs of two people, you’ll be lifting each other, switching at a half mark” Jungsuk explains writing on the board. “And also a four person relay race.” he states.

As Sunhwa asks a question, Hyosung turns to Keya. “You can read what he just wrote correct?” she asks. Keya nods. “Yeah, but even if I couldn’t he just told us what it says.” she says with a small laugh. Hyosung looks at the board then back at Keya. “How about copying it? Try writing the words a few times.” she says.

Keya nods and does as told. Tilting her head, Hyosung watches as she writes. “I think one of the things that get you is that when you start to write, you instinctively move to write in English. So that makes you hesitant when you try writing in a different language. Which is understandable.” she says. Keya nods. “Yeah, it’s something that would have to be worked on. But practice makes perfect.” she says. Hyosung nods before looking back to the others.

 

“Okay, who would like to do what? Any suggests?” Jungsuk asks. The group looks around at each other and shrugs. “I could do the hurdles or the relay.” Zelo states.

“Yeah, the tall people should do the hurdles; it’ll probably be less effort for them.” Jieun says making the others laugh.

“But wouldn’t it be good to have them in the relay or sprints too?” Kihyun asks.

“That’s true. We’ll have to try to divide the team right.” Youngjae says.

“It’ll also depend on which order the challenges happen.” Hana says.

“Right because even if we can’t assign everyone to their best ability, if we can manage a strong beginning and a strong ending, we’ll have a chance of winning.” Himchan states.

“Can the teams be changed once the games start?” Jongup asks.

“Yes, but once they participate in one event; they can’t do another unless the PD says it’s required.” Jungsuk explains.

“Well then how about we choice just our basic teams for now, and once we get out there, if needed, we’ll switch.” Yongguk states.

The group nods in agreement. “Then, let’s just go in order with the board.” Jungsuk says. “Sprint; which of you four wouldn’t mind doing that?” he asks. The group looks around at each other before some raises their hands. “Okay Youngjae, Hana, Jooheon, and Jieun. Hurdle?” Jungsuk asks next.

Hands rise again. “Okay, Zelo, Sunhwa, and Kihyun.” Jungsuk says. “I’ll also join this team to make four.” he adds. “Next, the lifting relay, this one we’re going to want our strongest people.” he explains.

 

“Well Yongguk and Jongup are the strongest in our group.” Youngjae states.

“Okay, now who should we use for the other two?” Jungsuk asks, writing on the board.

“What about Keya?” Daehyun asks.

“Huh? No, Himchan can you do it?” Jungsuk asks.

“Sure, but why can’t Keya do it?” Himchan asks.

“Yeah, I mean she’s strong.” Sunhwa says.

“I’ll say. I’ve been watching IKP and in one of the last episodes that were aired, she lifted Daehyun.” Jooheon states.

“Yeah and she did that without hesitating.” Jongup adds.

“No, it’ll be okay if we used a different person. If we add a different person to hurdle, Kihyun could do it.” Jungsuk states writing on the board.

“Wait…” Zelo starts when he looks around and sees similar expressions go across the older idol members’ faces around the room. As if they were realizing something. “I do not understand why Keya can’t do it.”

“Keya’s a girl.” Jungsuk says. “Plus she’s a young foreigner; she probably didn’t even fully understand this. We’ll just use her as backup in whatever the last race will be, if we actually have to use all sixteen people.”

At this the room goes silent. The group looks at Jungsuk with widen eyes. A second later a snapping sound cuts through the silence. “Keya?” Hyosung calls out softly to the girl next to her. Easily heard in the silence, this makes the others turn toward the two girls. Hyosung had her hand on Keya’s shoulder, who was staring at the paper on the table in front of her. Her hand paused in the mist of writing, though the pencil that she was holding was now bent in an off way. “Keya?” Hyosung calls softly again.

Raising her head, Keya tilts it to the side. “Excuse me?” she asks looking directly at Jungsuk. Jungsuk opens his mouth to say something but Keya raises her empty hand to stop him. When he closes his mouth, Keya lowers her hand back down. “No, please, let me inform you on a few things.” she says.

“First off, this foreigner is very much fluent when it comes to speaking in this language.” Keya starts. “Second, this young foreigner is older than you by four years. Your guests are invited onto this show, and they choose to accept, so you need to learn to respect them. No matter what age they are. And third, foreign or not, younger or not, this girl can bench-press you anytime.” she says opening her hand, letting the broken pencil fall to the table. “So please, if you really want to go down this road and try me, go ahead. Just know I don’t have that thing called patience when dealing with those who are not only ist, but also racist and disrespectful.”

The room falls into silence again as if waiting for Jungsuk to some up with some response. The only response that comes is the door opening. “Hello all.” A man wearing the same vest as Jungsuk walks in. “I’m Minsoo, it’s nice to meet you all. I’ll be your other team leader today alongside Jungsuk.” he explains before greeting everyone in the room personally.

Himchan pats Yongguk on the shoulder. “I think you should get your partner, she’s going to injury someone.” he says. Yongguk looks at Keya to see her glaring at Jungsuk. “Oh, today might not end well.” he whispers. Standing up, he moves over to Keya. Taking her hand, he pulls her up from the couch.

Excusing them, Yongguk pulls Keya out the room. He leads her down the hall until they come across an empty hall. Only then does he let go of her hand before turning to her. “Okay, breathe and calm down.” he says. Keya looks at him. “I am calm.” she says. Yongguk raises a brow. “Yeah, deathly calm.” he says. “I need you to be normal calm.”

Keya sighs. Leaning back against the wall, she takes off her glasses and pinches her nose. “Well, that’s easier said than done.” she says. Yongguk moves to lean against the wall next to her. “I could just say that things like that wouldn’t happen a lot during your stay here, but it will. MNet can probably shield you from a lot of it, but sometimes they won’t be able to. No matter where you go in this world, there will be people like that.”

“I know. But I hate people like that. I can’t stand it.” Keya says. Yongguk nods. “We all do. But it’s something that we all just have to deal with.” he says. “Sometimes you can, but most of the time, you can’t change someone’s mind just by talking to them. Some are just too ignorant to think about others. So the best thing to do is to keep you head high, and don’t let them get to you.” he says.

“So I should have just ignored him. Is that what you’re saying?” Keya asks. Yongguk shakes his head. “No, because if you did, he wouldn’t have realized what he said was rude. I say you handled the situation well. You did sort of threaten him, but you didn’t raise your voice nor swear at him. Like some people would have if they were offended like that.” he states.  “But as I said, I don’t think this will be the only time that you’ll experience this. Just remember to stay in control. If you step down to their level, then you lose. But you need to stay calm and show them that they’re the ones that need to step up a level, not you.”

After a moment Keya takes a deep breath before putting back on her glasses. “Yeah, you’re right.” she says. “Thanks.” she adds. Yongguk smiles. “This is what I’m here for.” he says. “As your first friend here, I can’t just let you wallow in anger.” he says. Keya lets out a small laugh. “Ah ha, it took a minute, but you finally called yourself my first friend. I shall now proceed to call you Gukkie.” she says. “So thanks Gukkie.” she says making Yongguk laugh.

“Oh good you’re laughing.” The two turn to see Suyun walking toward them. “We’re about to start heading toward the field to meet the others, so I volunteered to come get you two.” Suyun explains. “And I don’t know if you’ll still be angry. But you’re laughing, that’s at least a good sign.” she says.

“First friend here talked me into being calm. So we’re good.” Keya says patting Yongguk on the shoulder as they follow Suyun back to the room. The three makes it back to the room just as the others are filing out. “Oh, welcome back, just in time. We’re heading out to meet the other team.” Minsoo says.

“Jungsuk and one of the leaders from the other team were sent on a mission by the PD to start the beginning of the challenges. So in the mean time, we’ll meet the others.” Minsoo explains leading the group down the hall. Walking through double doors at the end of the hall, the group is welcomed by a track field. “Hello Team A.” Minsoo calls out to the group that was already standing in the middle of the field.

~~

“Can I at least hit him?” Yongguk looks at Keya and shakes his head. He then takes Keya’s hand into his; pulling her closer to make sure she stays in place. The games were now over with Team A being the victors. Now the MCs were currently wrapping up and closing the show. “I’m just saying…” Kihyun starts. “We would have probably won if Jungsuk wouldn’t have came back and messed up the teams.” he states.

“Um, did something happen during your meeting?” E.co asks. The others of Team A nod. “Yeah, there seem to be a lot of tension going on.” Momo states. “At least it did when Jungsuk appeared.” she adds. The members of Team B all sigh and shake their heads. “Don’t worry too much about it.” Sunhwa says.

 

 

And there's Chapter 7. Hope you all enjoy my story. ^-^