Chapter 4 - Practice & Photoshoots

Introducing K-pop: Season 1

Chapter 4 - Practice & Photoshoots

 


“Ah, they did tell you which room right?” Suyun asks as they walk into a building. Keya nods. Greeting the woman behind the desk in the center of the lobby, Keya walks over. “Hello, you’re Ms. Rose and Ms. Choi correct?” the woman asks. Keya nods. “Yes, can you tell us where Rehearsal Room 3 is?” she asks.

The woman nods. “Sure. Just go down the hall on your right, take the staircase at the end down a floor. That’s where the room you need is at. It’s labeled.” she informs. Keya nods. “Thank you so much.” she says. With that the two make their way down the hall told to them. “I hope we don’t get in their way.” Keya says.

Suyun looks at her. “I don’t think you have to worry about that. I believe their schedule for the room ends in like two or three hours.” she says. “This is the last stretch of practice.” she adds. Keya sighs. “Yeah, but the last hours are the hardest during practice.” she states as they walk down the stairs.

“I don’t think we really have to look for the room label.” Suyun says as they walk down the hall. The only sound to be heard is the sound of feet hitting the floor. Keya tilts her head. “Oh, only because the door’s opened.” she says pointing down the hall. At the end of the hall, the last door on the left was opened.

Walking to the room, Keya stops in the doorway. She greets the manager who sat in the chair next to the door before turning to the boys who were in the middle of dancing. “Power.” Keya whispers to Suyun as they watch them practice. Once the song comes to an end, the guys all turn to each other making comments.

“Keya, Suyun, you’re finally here.” Himchan greets. Keya waves to them when the group turns to them. “Great, you can join the madness that is dance practice.” Daehyun asks. Keya tilts her head to the side as she sits her bag down next to the empty chair next to the manager. “Wait… I’m really joining?” she asks. “Is that why you guys told me to dress like I’m going to work out?” she asks motioning toward her clothes. She currently wore a black tee shirt and a pair of black sweatpants.

“You really like the color black don’t you?” Daehyun asks. Keya shrugs. “It’s one of my favorite colors.” she says. “In general, I wear a lot of dark colors.” she states. Himchan tilts his head. “But some light colors would look great on you.” he says. Keya shrugs again. “Yeah, people at work tell me that too. But I’m not really one who’s into fashion.” she says.

“We’re completely getting sidetracked right now.” Yongguk says. He then looks at Keya. “Yes, you’re joining us for dance practice.” he states.  Keya scrunches up her nose. “Oh, yes, I don’t know a lot of you guys dances. I mean I know them. But I don’t ‘know’ know them.” she states. “I don’t want to be in the way.”

“Well which dances do you know?” Zelo asks. Keya rubs her chin. “I know Power, One Shot, Warrior, and part of 1004 and Feel So Good.” she states. “I never got as far as the physical part of learning the last two. I got busy so I had to hold them off.” she adds pushing up her glasses.

The boys turn to each other and whisper for a minute or two. “Okay well, we can teach you the two dances.” Youngjae says. “Well Jongup and Zelo can teach you. But how good are you at the other three?” he asks. Keya shrugs. “I can’t really tell you that. I tried learning them the best that I could.” she states.

Yongguk looks toward the manager. “What’s the next song to practice?” he asks. The manager looks up at him. “Warrior.” he replies. Yongguk looks back at Keya. “Try Warrior with us.” he suggests motioning her over. “With that we can see.” he says. Keya nods. “That’s fine.” she says as she pulls her hair back, putting it into two small back pigtails.

“Should I just dance along?” she asks as she walks over to them. Jongup looks at her. “Take my place.” he suggests. “Then I can focus on seeing if everyone is doing it right.” he states. Keya nods. “Okay but you guys can’t laugh at me if I make a mistake or something.” she says. Daehyun pats her on the shoulder.

“We’ll stay professional for this song.” Daehyun says. “We’ll just try to act like your Jongup for the dance, okay?” he asks. Keya nods and follows them as they move and positions themselves in their beginning poses. Cracking her knuckles, Keya lets out a breath. “Brings back memories.” she whispers. Once everyone is in position, the group nods as a signal to begin.

~Once the music completely fades, Keya takes a few steps back and folds her arms above her head, taking in a deep breath. “Ah, jeez, I really need to work out.” she says with a laugh. Turning to look at the others, she finds them all staring at her. “What?” she asks as she lowers her arms. Sitting up, Zelo looks at her. “Okay, you did way better than we thought you would.”

“But I did make mistakes.” Keya points out. Jongup walks over and stands next to her. “You know what amazes me, while she did make mistakes, she didn’t make any mistakes during the stomping.” he says to the others. “I thought that was going to be the part she would really mess up on.” he states. Keya shakes her head. “No, I would be in trouble if I did.”

“Why would you be in trouble?” Daehyun asks. Keya looks at him. “Oh, when I was younger, I was on a stomping team.” she says. The boys look at her with raised brows. “Really?” Zelo asks. Keya nods. “Yeah, it was like a community sport. I was on the team with my sisters, two of my cousins, and like three other girls. We did a few small competitions too. Did we win? No, but it was still fun.” she explains.

“Well she did tell us she does choreographed dancing.” Youngjae says. “So I don’t know why we’re so surprised.” he says. The others shrug. “Anyways, we need to go over what points everyone did wrong.” Jongup says. “Then we’ll try ‘Warrior’ again before moving onto ‘One Shot’ next. Everyone okay with that?” he asks. The others nod. “Okay, go ahead Dance Teacher Jongup.” Daehyun says.

 

~~~

“Okay, you guys and other idols are just crazy amazing.” Keya says. She was currently sitting on the floor, her arms folded above her head. Daehyun, who sat next to her, turns and looks at her. “Huh? Why do you say that?” he asks. Keya looks back at him. “Because you all are.” she says. “That and groups usually practice like 8 to 10 hours a day. I just joined like two hours ago and I feel like I’m about to pass out.”

“That’s because you really need to work out.” Yongguk says from his spot not far from them. Keya turns and stares at him. “Come at me bro.” Keya says spreading her arms out next to her, making the others laugh. “But I know all the training is worth it and it does pay off.” she says adjusting her glasses.

A moment later, a ringing goes off in the. Automatically singing along with it, Keya raises her hand in the air. “Oh yeah, that’s my phone. It’s Haneul.” she says after a moment. “Wanna get that Suyun?” she asks. Suyun nods as she moves to Keya’s bag and pulls her phone out the side pocket. “It’s a video message.” she informs looking at the screen. “I’m sure it’s a mission.” she says walking over to Keya.

As Suyun hands Keya the phone, Daehyun leans to the side to look at the phone. As Keya unlocks the phone, Suyun moves behind her so that she could also film the phone. Going to her messages, Keya clicks on the video icon.

Good Afternoon Keya, Suyun, and boys of B.A.P.” Haneul greets as the video starts. “I have a fun mission for you all today. As we all know, the Premiere episode of our show will air in five days.” she informs. “Along with the airing, we’ve came up with the idea of releasing official group photos. Your mission for the day is to go do the shoot. So get freshened up, your shoot time starts at 4pm. Have fun.” With that the video goes black.

Sitting down the phone, Keya looks up at the others. “That would explain why after this our schedule just said filming.” Himchan states. “So, have you done any type of photo shoot before, Keya?” he asks. Keya shakes her head. “I’ve done family photos. And that’s It.” she states. “But Yay to new experiences I guess.”

As everyone stands up, Keya walks over to her bag. “Okay, everyone do what you need to. We have less than two hours to get ready.” Yongguk says. “We’ll round up in the lobby, okay?” he asks. The others nod in agreement before filing out the room.

 

~~~

 “Are you excited to be doing a photo shoot?” Youngjae asks. The group was now sitting on a coach bus, on their way toward the place for the shoot. Keya shrugs. “Kind of.” she says. “I don’t really take a lot of pictures. At least not of myself. So I don’t know how to go about it all.” she states. Jongup looks at her. “Don’t worry. You’ll be fine. There will be someone there to tell you what to do and help you out.”

A few minutes later, the bus stops. Filing off the bus, the group makes their way to the building. Walking inside, the group is greeted by a woman who stood in the middle of the lobby. “Good evening, I’m Yuma.” she greets. “I’ll be taking you all to your location for the shoot.” she states. “Please follow me.”

The group nods and follows her across the lobby. Stopping in front of the elevator, Yuma presses the call button for it. Keya takes a step back. “Ahh haa” she sounds out with a nervous laugh, making the others look at her. “Do we have to take an elevator?” she asks taking another step back. Yuma turns to her. “It’s the quickest way to where the shoot it. I wouldn’t want you all to walk too much right before a shoot.” she states.

A ding sounds out and the elevator doors open. Keya lets out a groan as Yuma steps into the elevator and motions for the others to join. As the others walk in, Yongguk stands to the side, keeping his hand over the sensor to keep the door opened. He then looks at Keya. “If you really don’t want to get on, I can take the stairs with you.”

Keya looks at him. “I’m sorry.” she whispers. Yongguk gives her a small smile. “Don’t worry about it.” he says before turning to the others inside the elevator. “We’ll take the stairs and meet you up there.” he states. “Which floor do we go to?” he asks Yuma.

“You’ll go to the 8th floor.” Yuma states. “The staircase is just to your right.” she says. Yongguk nods before letting his arm drop, unblocking the sensor. “See you guys there.” he says before turning to Keya and Suyun. “Shall we?” he asks. The two nod before following him to where the stairs are.

“Thank you.” Keya says as they begin walking up the stairs. Yongguk looks at her. “As I said, don’t worry about it.” he says. “No need for you to do something you don’t like. Especially since there’s an alternative.” he states. Keya smiles. “Still, thank you.”

After a few minutes of walking, the three makes it to the 8th floor. Walking through the door, the three find the others standing in front of the elevator, talking as they wait. “We’re here.” Yongguk says as they walk over to them. Yuma motions for them to follow her to the door not too far from them. “This is your locate for your shoot.” she states as she twists the knob and pushes open the door.

“No way.” Youngjae says as they step through the door. Their location was a small rooftop patio with a garden. “Outdoors shoot.” Jongup states. “Sounds fun.” he says. Keya narrows her eyes. “Yeah, as long as I don’t have to go near the edge, I’m good.” she says as she walks around. The center was clear but different types of flowers circled the edge.

Keya walks up to the camera that sat in front of the patio. Not far behind it sat a table with a laptop on it. Keya looks around. “So, umm, where’s the shoot crew at?” she asks turning to Yuma. Yuma looks at her. “There isn’t one.” she states. The eight stop exploring and turn to her. “What do you mean there isn’t one?” Suyun asks. Yuma looks around at them. “We were told that the groups will be doing the shoots themselves.” she explains. “But Haneul did provide different clothing and costumes for you all.” she says pointing to the side.

Looking to where she was pointing, the group spots four rakes of clothes lined against the far wall. “One, she’s crazy.” Keya says. “Two, new experience for all of us now.” she adds. The others nod in agreement. “Okay, if you need anything, there’s a pager button on the wall. Just press it and I’ll come.” she states.

The group watches Yuma walk out the room before turning to each other. “So…” Keya asks. “Should we do costumes or regular outfits?” she asks walking toward the clothing. Suyun follows her. “I say you guys should do both.” she says. Joining her, the boys look over the clothes. “Oh, hey, I think these are a set of outfits for us.” Jongup says.

Pushing the other clothes away from the set, Jongup steps to the side to show the others the black garment covers. “Of course they planned this all.” Himchan says. “But I say we do the outfits first, then we can go crazy and do the costumes.” he suggests as he walks up to the rack. “Oh, they have name tags on the hangers.”

As the others walk over, Himchan hands them all the outfits that had their names on them. After handing Keya hers, Himchan holds one out to Suyun. “Huh? Me too?” she asks. Keya looks at her. “I told you, you’re part of the group too. We did have Suyun Day.” she says. “So of course you’re joining the photos with us.”

“But how will I be able to film?” Suyun asks. Youngjae turns to her. “Just set up the camera somewhere.” he states. Keya nods. “You have a tripod with you right?” she asks. “Just use that. We can set it up so that it can view the garden and the laptop.” she states. “Plus don’t you have an extra small camera right?”

Suyun nods. “Yeah, I guess I can use that too. Set it up in a different spot to cover another side.” she states. Keya looks around. “And we’ll move the rack over too that way they can be in one of the camera’s view.” she states. “Okay, let’s move stuff around then we can go get changed.” she suggests.

The group nods in agreement. Sitting their outfits down, they begin to move around. Suyun and Youngjae set up the cameras while the other six moves the racks. After checking to make sure everyone was in the view of at least one of the cameras, the group picks back up their outfits. “Change then gather in the garden.” Yongguk states. With that the group walks out the room and to the bathrooms that were down the hall.

~“I hope Haneul knows that I might not return this outfit.” Keya says as she and Suyun exits the bathroom. She now wore a white t-shirt with the word ‘YAY’ across the top, a black and white plaid over shirt and a pair of black leggings. Suyun now wore a black t-shirt with the word ‘JAM!’ on it three times with a pair of blue jeans that had a hole on the left thigh and a covered hole on the right.

Walking into the shoot room, the two sits their clothes down next to their bags by the table before walking out and moving to the garden. “Lookin’ awesome.” Keya says to Daehyun who already stood in the garden. He now wore an orange shirt with a black design that went across the top and right side and a pair of washed out jeans. “I try, I try.” he says with a smile.

“I think we should move that table and chair set to the middle and use it as a prop. Also the lawn chairs too.” The three turn to see Yongguk walking in followed by Himchan and Youngjae. Yongguk now wore a black t-shirt that had white symbols diagonally covering the left half of the shirt. Himchan now wore a white long sleeve shirt that had different pictures of places in London. And Youngjae now wore a burgundy long sleeve shirt that had gold Fleur-de-lis symbol on it along with matching symbols going around the upper sleeve.

“I don’t know where the crew went, but these shirts are awesome.” Keya says. “I want these shirts. Especially yours.” she says pointing at Yongguk. Yongguk looks at her. “But it’s mine.” he says. Keya shrugs. “That’s okay. It can be mine now.” she says with a laugh. “Come on. Give me your shirt. Take it off.” she says. Yongguk shakes his head. “I think that’s okay. I need it now. I’ll decide if I want to give it to you later.” he says making the others laugh.

“Yep, we’re last.” The group turns to see Zelo and Jongup walking over. Zelo now wore a tan/blue/gray/black camouflage shirt. And Jongup now wore a black and white dashed shirt. “Are we deciding what to do?” Jongup asks. Daehyun looks at him. “No, your wife is trying to get Yongguk to take off his shirt.” he says causing laughter again.

Jongup walks over to Keya and throws an arm over her shoulder. “If you wanted to see abs, only thing you had to do was tell me. I’m pretty sure mine are better. No need to turn to cheating.” he says only raising the laughter more.

“Okay, okay. Let’s get this shoot done.” Yongguk says. “I suggest for some of the pictures, that some of us sit at the table, someone could also use the lawn chairs too.” he states. The others nod before moving around. Jongup, Yongguk, and Daehyun group together to move the table as Keya and Youngjae moves the table chairs.

Himchan and Zelo grab the two lawn chairs as Suyun moves to setup the photo camera. “I think there’s an umbrella for that table.” Suyun states after she finishes setting up the camera and moves to help with the chairs. “Should we use that too?” she asks. Youngjae looks around. “I think we should do a few pictures with and without it. Just to see how it turns out.”

“Okay, so how to start?” Jongup asks. Youngjae looks around the newly reorganized field. “I think we should get some drinks and books to make it look a little more natural.” he states. Suyun nods and moves to her bag. “Got it.” she says. Youngjae looks at her. “Just bring the bag. It’ll also help.” he states.

Youngjae then turns to the others. “Okay as for who should go where…” he starts going over the area again. “At the table let’s put Suyun, Yongguk, Keya, and Jongup. I and Daehyun will organize ourselves around with the chair on the left. Himchan, you take the chair on the right. Zelo, you stand in the space a little back behind the table by Himchan’s chair.”

As everyone moves to where they were told, Suyun moves to the camera and sets up a timer. Afterwards she walks toward the others and hands them the items out her bag. She then sits down in the empty chair at the table. “What did you set the camera on?” Youngjae asks. Suyun looks at him.

“The timer is on 5 minutes. So that everyone can get themselves settled.” Suyun states. “And I also have it set on multi-take with 20 second intervals.” she adds. Keya turns and looks at Youngjae. “You like playing director, don’t you?” she asks. Youngjae smiles. “Of course. And I think I do a good job too.” he says. Keya nods in agreement.

“Hey Keya, Suyun, we should take a picture over here too.” The group turns to see Zelo standing near the wall by the buildings edge, overlooking the city. Keya scrunches up her nose. “Ah, of course not.” she says. Zelo turns and walks back toward them. “Aw, why not? The view is perfect.” he states.

“She’s afraid of heights.” Yongguk informs. Jongup looks at Keya. “But you got on an airplane.” he states. Yongguk looks at Jongup. “Yeah and she got a window seat.” he adds. Himchan shakes his head. “That makes no sense.” he says. Keya shrugs. “A lot of the things I do don’t make sense right away. But just to get here, I had to take a plane, so I had to brave up. Plus I like views so why not take a seat where I can have one.”

“How about this?” Zelo asks as he spreads his arms out to the side. “I can pretend to be an airplane, you follow me and we go near the edge.” he states making everyone laugh. Daehyun looks at him. “Yeah and to make it more believable, two of us can form a window with their arms for you.” he states and the laughter rises.

A flash and a clicking sound soon goes off, catching the group off guard. The group turns toward the camera just as another flash goes off. “Poses everyone.” Youngjae calls out a few seconds before the flash goes off again. After two more flashes, Suyun stands up and moves to the camera. “Should we go onto the next set and wait to review them all?” she asks.

“I think we’ll be okay to just do it like that.” Himchan says. “It’ll take less time with each set if we do it that way.” he adds. Suyun nods as she resets the camera. “Okay, I changed to the timer to 10 minutes.” she states before walking back other. “Shall we all change spot?”

 

~~

“Don’t mean to brag, but I think we took some great pictures today.” Himchan says. After the first set, the group moved to do solo shoots, group shoots, and various pairing shoots before moving on to the costumes and doing it all over again. Now, they had just finished looking over the photos and saving them onto the laptop.

Keya looks at Suyun. “You are such a pro with the camera. Those candid shots you took are amazing. Have you ever thought about doing and releasing a photo book?” she asks. Suyun smiles as she turns off and takes down her second camera. “Thank you. And I’ve thought about it. But I like being a VJ more. Maybe sometime in the far future.” she states moving to pick up her main one.

After straightening things up, the group gathers their bags. “Okay, I suggest we go eat. Because I’m super hungry right now.” Daehyun says. The group nods in agreement. “If I’m correct there’s a restaurant down the street.” Youngjae says. “We can walk there and just inform them to pick us up there.” he states as they make their way out the room.

 


 

Here's Chapter 4. Thanks for stopping by and reading my story. ^_^