Chapter 1 - First Meeting

Introducing K-pop: Season 1

Chapter 1- First Meeting

 


“Hey Mom.”

“Hey, have you finally land?”

“Yeah, not too long ago. I just wanted to call and inform you that I’ve made it here.”

“Okay, are you feeling well?”

“Yeah, I’m okay.”

“That’s good. Have they contacted you yet?”

“Yeah, actually. While I was getting my luggage, they called me.”

“Telling you that they’re on their way?”

“Yeah, but I don’t know who’s coming.”

“Why not?”

“Well, they just said one of the members from the show.”

“Maybe someone else is also being picked up there. It’s most likely the host who’s coming to greet you.”

“I don’t think so. I mean there are eight of us. I don’t think she’ll be able to come greet all of us.”

“Oh, well, you’ll just have to see then.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll let you go. It’s night time there.”

“Okay, Keya, just call me later before it’s time for you to settle down and go to sleep.”

“Will do. Love you.”

“Love you too. Bye.”

“Bye.”

 

Hanging up her phone, Keya looks at it for a moment. She then raises her head and looks around. Not seeing anyone coming her way or holding a sign with her name on it, she pushes her blue framed glasses up on her face as she looks back at her phone. Taking an I-pod out her pocket, Keya unravels the earpieces connected to it. Putting one of them into her ear, she tucks the other one inside her shirt. Pressing play on the device, she places it back into her pocket.

Silently singing along, Keya sits the plaid-printed bag that she held in her other hand, down on the chair in front of her, letting it join another bag that was sitting here. Next to the chair sat two larger suitcases that matched the smaller bags. Looking around, she tries to spot anyone who could be from the show she was to appear on.

Almost half a year ago, she applied to become a cast member on one of MNet’s new upcoming shows, Introducing K-pop. It was a show to let fans interact with different artists and groups. After apply to many contests and failing, she didn’t except to actually win. Especially since it was a global event. But then like 4 months ago, they called and emailed her to inform her that she was chosen as a cast member.

What’s better then getting a free ticket to South Korea with all expense paid? Six months of getting close up, in-the-same-city, learning about her favorite music. And after months of hard-core restudying her Korean and preparing everything, she’s finally here in Seoul, soon to be filming her first episode of the show. To say she’s excited was an understatement.

“Excuse me, by any chance, are you Keya Rose?” A voice behind her asks. ‘Familiar’ was the first word to cross her mind. “Yes, I…” she answers turning around. But her next words trails off as her eyes land on the person standing behind her. Her eyes widen as she takes in his shaggy black hair, brown eyes, and gummy smile.

“Oh, my Siwon.” Keya whispers, her hand moving to cover , hitting her glasses in the process. The man lets out a small laugh. “Is it really that surprising seeing me?” he asks. Keya nods, not moving her hand. “Y-you’re Bang Yongguk.” she states in English without realizing it. Smiling, he nods. “Yes, yes I am.” he says with another small laugh. “Just relax, but I’m guessing they didn’t tell you actually who was coming to pick you up.” he says, motioning his head to the side.

Keya looks to their left to finally realize the camera crew that was there, standing not too far from them. The small group of four waves to her. After giving a small wave back, Keya looks back at Yongguk. “They j-just said that someone f-from the show will be c-coming to pick me up.” she explains. “Ah, I feel so e-embarrassed now.” she whispers.

“Trust me, I’m sure they did this so the others as well.” Yongguk says. Keya sighs taking the earpiece out. “I hope so.” she says. Yongguk smiles. “If it’ll make you feel better, how about we restart and do a proper introduction?” he asks.

“I’m Bang Yongguk; it’s nice to meet you.” he greets, extending out his hand toward her. Keya smiles. “I’m Keya Rose. It’s n-nice to meet y-you too.” she says moving to shake his hand. As their hands touch, Keya feels a small shock go through her arm. As they let go of each other’s hand, the two look at each other.

“Did you f-feel that s-shock too?” Keya asks. Yongguk nods, letting out a small laugh. “Yeah, sorry about that. It’s probably from when I was in the car, it has carpet.” he states. Keya shrugs. “Or from me w-walking through the passage. I have a h-habit of really dragging my feet when I’m on c-carpet.” she says. “But to be f-fair, we can s-split the fault.” she says laughing.

Yongguk smiles. “You had a long flight. I hope you’re not too tired.” he says. Keya shakes her head as she picks up the bag that she sat down earlier. “I’ll help.” Yongguk offers, picking up the other small bag from the seat. They both then each take the handle of one of the bigger suitcases. “Are we going to meet up with the others?” Keya asks as she follows Yongguk through the airport. The camera crew, around them.

Yongguk nods. “Yep. I don’t think you’ll be able to meet the other groups just yet, but the other cast members you’ll meet.” he states. Leading her out the Airport, they walk until they reach a dark silver van. Unlocking the car, one of the members of the camera crew opens the trunk. After fitting the suitcases in the back, the group piles into the van, Yongguk and Keya in the middle row while two of the crew sat behind them, the other two in front, one driving.

After fastening their seat beats, the van pulls off. “So, ummm, where exactly are we going?” Keya asks. Yongguk turns to her. “Oh, we’re on our way to the CJ E&M building.” he states. “They should be doing the last few rehearsals when we arrive.” he adds. Keya nods. “Oh the M Countdown building. Their ‘Beginning of Summer’ special, right?”

“Yep. Sorry if I was a little late when coming to get you. My group’s solo rehearsal actually ended right before the time that I had to come and get you.” Yongguk says. Keya nods. “I didn’t wait long; before you came I had actually just finished calling my Mom to make sure she knew that I got here safely. Sorry if you had to rush.”

Yongguk smiles. “I think we’re good.” he says. “Let me inform the others that we’re on our way back.” he says taking his phone out his pocket. As silence falls in the car, Keya looks out the window. She then looks at Yongguk before pushing up her glasses and looking around to see out the other windows before looking out hers again.

“It’s okay to relax. Talk if it’ll help you become comfortable. No need to be shy.” Yongguk says. Keya feels her face flush. Even though it probably won’t be seen over her light brown skin tone, her hand still goes to cover her cheeks. “S-sorry, I just don’t know h-how to feel right now.” she says. “I’m so e-excited to be here. A bit t-terrified too because this is all so new; but I’ll never admit that a-again so you should be happy you’re the one who heard it.”

Yongguk lets out a small laugh as he puts away his phone. “I’ll treasure it in my mind.” he says. “But it’s okay to be a bit afraid. I’m sure for most of the crew this is the first time that they’re been out their home country. Do you travel? Even between states?” he asks. Keya shakes her head. “Not really. The f-farthest places I’ve been in are New York, California and Mississippi.”

“How about out of the US? Any place you ever wanted to travel?” Yongguk asks. Keya nods. “Oh yeah, nearly my whole life I’ve wanted to travel to Japan. Then here, of course. China and Iceland are also on my list.” she says. Yongguk tilts his head. “Iceland seems to stick out on the list.” he states. Keya shrugs. “Oh, well one of my high school friends, is from there and is currently back living there. Just listening to her stories makes me want to go there."

“So why haven’t you tried traveling out until now?” Yongguk asks. Keya sighs. “Because it’s pricey. And I don’t have anyone to go with Me.” she states. “Oh, and I don’t like heights. It’s a miracle I actually got on the plane to come here without going into a panic attack or something.” she says. Yongguk blinks. “That was your first time on a plane?” he asks. “To come here?"

Keya nods. “Is it even weirder that I wanted a window seat?” she asks. Yongguk lets out a small laugh. “For someone who’s afraid of heights? Yes.” he says. “But if you weren’t going to do plane, how were you going to go overseas? By boat?” he asks. Keya shakes her head furiously. “Oh no, I don’t like boats. And I don’t think I will be getting on one any time soon.”

“And why is that?” Yongguk asks.

“Titanic.” Keya simply answer.

“Titanic?”

“Yep, I love the movie, but it left an impression and slight phobia of boats on me when I was younger.”

“So you won’t go on boats at all?”

“Oh, I’ll go on a docked, securely locked, one. Just not one that’s sailing.”

“Okay, so explain how, if you weren’t going to go overseas by plane, or boat, what were you going to do? Swim?”

“Yeah, that’s a no too. Because I don’t know how to swim. Another reason I wouldn’t go by boat and was terrified to go by plane. That’s a lot of water to go over, and as my mom told me and my siblings when we were younger, you can’t drink all that water.”

 

Yongguk nods. “Okay… so then how were you going to get to the designated places?” he asks. “Teleport?” he suggests. Keya slightly shrugs. “That’s one of my ideas, only thing I need to do is gather up the greatest minds around the world to get the ball rolling.” she says. Yongguk lets his head drop into his hand as he and the camera crew lets out small laughs. “Don’t you find that a little impossible?” he asks.

Keya scoffs. “Yeah well, riding in a car, surrounded by a camera crew, in Seoul, Korea, with Bang Yongguk of B.A.P. next to me, was also on my previous impossible list. But look at me now. Living the life.” she says with a laugh. “I think I’m going to start drawing up those layout plans for the transportation ports soon.”

Yongguk lets out a laugh. “You are a very weird one.” he says. Keya smiles. “Oh, thank you so much for notice. I try my best.” she says moving her hands to form a V under her chin and tilting her head to the side to lie slightly against her right hand. The car bursts out into another round of laughs that didn’t die down until they come to a stop in the back lot of the CJ E&M’s building that was used for M Countdown.

Stepping out the van, Yongguk and Keya grabs the luggage from the truck before following the crew to the back door. After sliding a card over a pad next to the door, one of the crew members opens the door and holding it for the others to get into the building. Walking down the hall, the two are lead through the building.

After a few minutes of walking the group stops in front of a door with  the label ‘ITK Room 2’ on it. “This is where the cast members are sitting their luggage at until we leave out to the dorms.” one of the crew members informs as he opens the door. Walking into the room, Keya spots seven different piles of suitcases sitting around the room.

“Oh, I guess I’m the last to arrive.” she says. “I hope it’s not awkward.” she says as she finds an empty spot and sits down the bags. Following her, Yongguk sits down the suitcases that he held. “I’m sure you’ll be fine.” he says. “The other cast members are also from overseas so don’t worry about feeling out of place.”

Keya nods before turning to the crew. “So there’s a different room to go to?” she asks. The crew nods. “It’s the room next door.” one of them reply. The group walks out the room, shutting the door behind them. A few steps further down the hall brings them to another door, this one labeled ‘ITK Room 1’.

Stopping in front of the door, Yongguk turns to Keya. “And this is where we part.” he says. Keya looks at him and frowns. “What? Really?” she asks. Yongguk nods. “Yeah, I have to go back and join rehearsal. But we’ll see each other in a few when they bring the cast members down.” he says.

Keya sighs. “Ah, my first friend in Seoul and he’s already leaving me alone to hang out with others.” she says. Yongguk lets out a small laugh. “As I said, you’ll be fine. And we’ll see each other again before you all head out to the dorms.” he states. Keya nods. “Okie dokie then. I guess I’ll see ya later.” she says. Yongguk smiles. “See ya later.” he says before turning and walking down the hall, two of the crew following him.

“So do I just walk in?” Keya asks, turning to the two crew members that were still with her. The two nods. “Yeah, just go right ahead. They’re expecting you to arrive soon.” one of them says. Keya nods as she turns to the door. She then takes a deep breath. “This is nerve-racking.” she says pushing her glasses up on her face.

Turning the knob, Keya knocks on the door as she slowly pushes it open. “Excuse me.” she says as she steps into the room. At the sound of her voice, the five people in the room turn toward her. Three sat together off to the side and two others stood close by.

“You must be Keya Rose.” one of them says. Stepping away from the group, a woman with light brown long hair and brown eyes walk toward her. “I’m the host, Kim Haneul.” she introduces herself. “It’s nice to meet you.” she says holding out her hand. Shaking her hand, Keya smiles. “It’s nice to meet you too.”

“Come on over here and I can introduce you to some of you fellow cast members” Haneul suggests. Keya nods, following her as she walks back over to the group. “Guys, this is Keya Rose, our last cast member.” Haneul informs as she stops in front of the group. “Keya, this is Yasmin Lima, Xiong Tao, Charles Rios, and Victor Rodrigues.”

“Nice to meet you all.” Keya says with a slight bow. She then looks around before turning to Haneul. “I thought there was eight of us.” she says. Haneul nods. “Oh, the other three wanted to run and get some more snacks. They should be back in a moment.” she informs. “When they get back, we’ll begin the first group talk filming.”

“Are you very excited?” Charles asks. Keya nods. “And a little worried. I don’t think I’m the easiest to get along with. Sorry to whoever ends up as my roommate.” she says with a small laugh. Yasmin smiles. “I think you’ll be fine. I hope we will become a great group of friends by the time this show ends.” she says.

A loud noise from the hall makes the groups turn to the door. “And that should be the other three cast members.” Haneul says. Keya raises a brow. “So, we got some real energetic people it seems.” Keya says. Haneul smiles as she walks to the door. Opening it, she sticks her head out into the hall.

Keya lets out a breath as she straightens her clothes. “Hey, don’t be too noisy now. And our last cast member here, so we’ll be starting filming soon.” Haneul informs to the group in the hall. There was a mumble of words before a loud screech was heard from the hall. While everyone else jumps at the sound and Haneul moves to the side and out the doorway, Keya freezes.

“No, that’s sound…” she whispers taking a few steps toward the doorway. “It can’t be…”  Hurrying up her steps, Keya moves to the door. Before she could take a step out, she finds the air being knocked out of her as someone tackles her, almost knocking off her glasses. Keya blinks a few times to refocus before looking down to see a head full of dark brown hair.

Keya eyes widen as she stares at the head of the person bear hugging her. “What the?! Stacy!” she shouts. The girl lets go of her and smiles. “Bestest friend, look who’s here for you.” she says with a cheerful laugh as she hugs Keya again.

I can’t believe you’re actually here.” Keya says hugging Stacy back. She then lets go of her. “Wait…” she starts. “Why are you here? What did you do?” Keya asks. Stacy laughs. “What are you talking about, I’m one of the cast members.” she states. Keya eyes widen again. “Really?” she asks. She looks at Haneul who nods.

See, we get to do this show together.” Stacy says. Keya narrows her eyes at Stacy. “What are you up to?” she asks. “And why didn’t you tell me you applied.” she says hitting Stacy on the arm. Stacy let out a laugh. “Because I wanted it to be a surprise. And who better to go explore new places and things with than your favorite Bestest friend?” she asks looping an arm with one of Keya’s.

“So you two really do know each other.” Keya looks toward the group. Two others had entered the room behind Stacy. “Keya, these two are Sai Meshizuka and Carine Patry. Sai and Carine, this is Keya Rose.” Haneul introduces. After they say their greetings, Haneul looks over the group. “Okay, now that everyone is here, how about we move to the seats and we can start our first group chat.” she suggests.

The group moves over to the set up seats that were on the other side of the room. Xiong, Carine, Yasmin, and Charles sits down in the front four seats as Stacy, Keya, Victor, and Sai sits down in the raised back four seats. As they settle into their seats, Haneul sits down in a solo chair that was placed to the side.

After a cue from one of the crew members, Haneul nods. “Welcome all, this is M-Net’s ‘Introducing K-Pop’. I am the host, Kim Haneul.” she starts. “As this is the first episode, how about our cast introduce themselves to those who will be watching the show.” she says motioning to the group. “Please tell us your name, age, and where you’re from.”

“Hello, I’m Xiong Tao. I’m 21 and I’m from Nonthaburi Province, Thailand.”

“Hello, I’m Carine Patry. I’m 20 and I’m from Nice, France.”

“Hello, I’m Yasmin Lima. I’m 19 and I’m from Amazonas, Brazil.”

“Hello, I’m Charles Rios. I’m 23 and I’m from Queensland, Australia.”

“Hello, I’m Stacy Richardson. I’m 25 and I’m from Alberta, Canada.”

“Hello, I’m Keya Rose. I’m 25 and I’m from Illinois, USA.”

“Hello, I’m Victor Rodrigues. I’m 21 and I’m from Cordoba Province, Argentina.”

“Hello, I’m Sai Meshizuka. I’m 18 and I’m from Toyama Prefecture, Japan.”

 

“Through our UCC contest, these eight have been chosen by our team for our first season of ‘Introducing K-Pop’.” Haneul states. “For the next six months these eight will be staying in our dorm rooms in pairs of two. We’ll be following them as they join their designated idol groups on their schedules and explore different places of South Korea.”

 


There's Chapter 1. Thanks to everyone who has decided to stop and check out my story. 

If you spotted any typo, just inform me.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy it.