; christmas special {jookyun version}

caffeine ↠ hyungwonho

christmas special ; jookyun version
word count : 3 269 words

Changkyun fell into bed with Minhyuk and Hyungwon, already dressed in their Christmas themed pyjamas as they slipped beneath the warm covers. The youngest didn't mind sleeping with the other two, it felt almost natural to him now since they had been doing it for the past four years. They'd known each other for eighteen years, however only being good friends for twelve. Huddling into each other, the three of them shivered slightly as they tried to keep warm. Since their eyelids were already drooping from the long day at the patisserie, Minhyuk kissed both his and Hyungwon's forehead like he always did every night before he fell asleep, cuddling into one side of the tallest male. He didn't want to go to sleep yet but Changkyun acted sleepy, curling up on Hyungwon's other side and closing his eyes, although refusing to fall into the comfortable dreamland. Hyungwon moved around a bit after he thought the other two were asleep and Changkyun could feel his arm snaking around his waist under the covers, being pulled tighter into the older boy's side. He didn't mind, making a snuffling noise as he grabbed a fistful of the other boy's shirt and slowly breathing in his relaxing scent.

His mind had been haywire since last week, Hyungwon's question making him relive the past all over again, making his poor heart clench painfully the more he thought about it. He was so in love, so desperately in love with Jooheon who knew about Changkyun's feelings, but mostly likely didn't even remember who he was. All those years ago, he'd fallen so hard and was shunned by his parents who didn't accept him, beginning the long verbal abuse stemming from how a male liking another male was wrong. He used to cry out Jooheon's name into his pillow every night as he wept, using it to muffle his tears as he begging for the male to save him. Five years of it, then Jooheon moved away and Changkyun never saw him at his school again.

At only twelve, he experienced his first heartbreak but he refused to show weakness in front of Minhyuk and Hyungwon, who'd barely been his friends for two years so he'd kept it secret about the dimpled male, until last week. Letting tears fall down his cheeks, he let out quiet sobs as not to wake the other males. "Jooheon-hic- why didn't y-you sav-ve me?" he whispered brokenly, a hiccup of unshed tears bubbling in his throat mid-sentence. After six years, Changkyun cried himself to sleep. But he hadn't opened his eyes to realise that Minhyuk was awake and listening to his broken confession.

•❄️•

Changkyun woke up with a slightly sticky face, pressed tightly against Hyungwon's chest as the older had pulled him even closer whilst both of them had been asleep. He knew his eyes would be puffy, his nose and cheeks probably red as he experienced something he had been without for a long time that he'd forgotten how it felt like. A small shake to his shoulder made his eyes focus on Minhyuk who was above him, gesturing to go downstairs to grab the presents heaped beneath their tree and surprise Hyungwon. "That's a bad idea, you know how he gets when we leave him alone whilst he's asleep" Changkyun pointed out but the blonde male waved it away "Kkukkungie, we will be very quick. I want to have a perfect Christmas with Hyungwonnie" He pleaded and Changkyun groaned, pulling his sticky face away from Hyungwon's clothed chest to get out of the bed.

The moment his warmth left the bed, Hyungwon moved around, his nose scrunching up cutely as his hands roamed in his sleep to find the two sources of warmth known as his best-friends. "We've got about a minute before he wakes up. Go, Go, Go!" Changkyun rushed Minhyuk and the two of them sprinted down the stairs, collecting the presents hastily. Hearing Hyungwon desperately call their names mid-way, the two shared a panicked glance before gathering the rest and sprinting back upstairs. Minhyuk entered their room first, his motherly cuddles always doing the best to calm down the male when he had his panic attacks. Changkyun heard Minhyuk sooth Hyungwon, and the creaking of the bed suggesting that the two of them were rocking back and forth, something that also worked well to calm Hyungwon down. Changkyun entered and copied what Minhyuk had done, dropping e presents on the bed and pulling the older male into a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't panic this much but I was so scared" Hyungwon sobbed into their shirts, clenching the fabric as he failed to calm himself down. The two boys shared a look across Hyungwon's shoulders, almost grateful that this was only a minor panic attack. His major ones usually had the patisserie closed for the day because Hyungwon wouldn't let them go anywhere, and Changkyun meant anywhere. Rubbing his back softly, it was the youngest males turn to soothe him "It's not your fault you have severe separation anxiety disorder". Minhyuk gathered the presents whilst he did so, creating a looming like in front of the three of them.

They cuddled for a long time, the second youngest finding comfort in the two people he had rejected becoming his friends for the longest time. Hyungwon didn't want to let go, and neither did they.

"Let's open these" Hyungwon finally stated when the sobs had left his voice, eager to turn this Christmas into a truely perfect one. Minhyuk and Changkyun seperated the large pile of presents into three groups, with different types of wrapping paper to tell which present belonged to who. With a quick glance at each other, they tore into their presents and the patisserie was filled with excited squeals as they all received what they had wished for, a perk reserved for best-friends who knew you like the back of their hand.

However, when all the presents were finished, the pair of them pulled out another present which had Hyungwon's wrapping over it, which confused the male as he clearly tried to think of anything else he had wished for and came up blank. "Now this one can only be used today. We know you didn't ask for it- but um.." Changkyun started but trailed off, looking desperately towards Minhyuk for help. "You didn't ask or wish for this present, but it will help you. Trust us" Minhyuk continued on and sent a warm smile that had the taller male smiling back, trusting him. Slowly opening the present, Hyungwon got more confused however when he was met with green leaves, white berries and red ribbon.

"It's mistletoe, so you can get that kiss your heart is longing for" Changkyun said teasingly, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively which made both Minhyuk and Hyungwon hit him, although the second youngest' face was bright red. "S-Shut u-u-up" He stuttered, trying to regain his composure as he held the festive plant in his hands. Changkyun rubbed his shoulders, no doubt both of them red as the boys unknowingly put a lot of power into their hits.

"It's ten a.m now, the patisserie doesn't open until eleven since the customers will probably want to spend time with their families so your break will be at twelve. What Changkyun and I were thinking was that you—" Minhyuk explained before telling Hyungwon the very detailed plan on how to use the mistletoe to kiss Hoseok, and to be honest, Changkyun was nodding along like he had helped make this plan when in reality, Minhyuk had structured the entire thing on his own, it was like he had inside information on Hyungwon's crush, it was slightly frightening. "Okay, I'll do it" Hyungwon smiled brightly, gently playing with the fake white berries of the plant.

"That's great! Now we have to choose our Christmas outfits" Minhyuk announced suddenly and went to stand up, but his foot got tangled in the sheets and he ended up going sprawling to the floor which caused the other two to burst out laughing. "That's great, what great friends you are" The blonde said loudly from the floor, struggling to release himself from the cocoon of sheets. He wriggled around, pulling the sheets completely off the bed and almost bringing Hyungwon and Changkyun with them. He finally freed himself when the two youngest had finally stopped their laughter and got off the bed to help him.

"Let's just go pick our outfits" Minhyuk sulked, stalking over to their combined closet although smiling when the two engulfed him in a group hug. Changkyun murmured his sorry into one shoulder, Hyungwon doing the same with the opposite shoulder.

•❄️•

Eleven a.m came and went, midday slowly creeping up and Changkyun could see the anxiety and what-ifs that were slowly building as the time ticked closer. Playing with the bell on the end of his elf's hat, he watched as Hyungwon cleaned down the tables in his Oh Deer! shirt with adorable Christmas antlers on his head. "Hyungwonnie, it's twelve now. Time for your break, good luck" Minhyuk called out and the both of them winked at him before laughing, Hyungwon just shaking his head at them and grabbing his jacket to slip on as he left the patisserie.

Changkyun moved to take over Hyungwon's place of cleaning the tables but Minhyuk grasped his wrist firmly and gestured towards the back-room. "Sorry ladies, we will be back in a few minutes" The blonde said cooly and tugged the youngest away from the customers. The moment the door was closed, Minhyuk turned to him with the saddest expression, it was an expression Changkyun knew well after staring at himself in the mirror for so many years.

It was heartbreak.

"I-I hea-ard you" He said quietly, his voice cracking as the blonde tried to keep his tears at bay so he could get answers to the questions in his mind. Changkyun's blood ran cold, and he thought back to what he could have possibly heard that could make the happiest ball of sunshine to be on the edge of tears. He came up with nothing. "I heard you. Last night. Crying out Jooheon's name in your sleep. Asking him to save you" Minhyuk spoke in small sentences, to make sure that his voice didn't break again while he was trying to talk to the younger. Changkyun swallowed harshly, his throat suddenly parched as last nights emotions rewashed themselves over him, making him feel like he was suffocating by an invisible force around his throat.

"It's been so long, I thought I got rid of them for good" He whispered, his own hand reaching up to fist itself in his hair, tugging at the dark-brown strands painfully. "Ah ah, no. Don't hurt yourself, please don't" Minhyuk pleaded, his soft paler hands reaching down to untangle the mass of hair and skin. "Until I moved out when I was sixteen, I was verbally abused by both my parents and the rest of my family. They are extremely homophobic and didn't agree to a seven-year old being in love with another boy" Changkyun started, his fingers entangling with Minhyuk's as he tried to calm himself down slightly so he could continue. "I was seven, I didn't understand the words they were throwing at me, only that Jooheon made me happy and that I wanted to stay by his side forever" he continued and absentmindedly brushed over a scar that had been carved into his skin for thirteen years, it was distorted and ugly. "I got this when my father saw me kiss Jooheon on the cheek" he whispered, remembering the angered look in his fathers eyes when he had entered the car all those years ago. Changkyun lifted up his shirt to show the strange mottling on his skin that the other males had noticed but never questioned "I got this when my father became abusive for the second time, seeing me kiss Jooheon on the cheek for the last time as he moved away" Changkyun brushed his fingers over the marks, flinching as if they still hurt even after ten years.

"I was beaten so badly, I almost died but he refused to take me to the hospital. A family doctor was brought in to make sure my bones healed, but some of my ribs were so close to piercing the skin that they left permanent marks on my skin" Changkyun had finished and he saw a tear slip out of Minhyuk's eye, staring at the younger with a look of pure disgust and shock as it was the first time he'd ever heard something like this.

"I used to cry myself to sleep, usually mumbling his name through my sobs until I turned sixteen and moved out of that house, and into our first flat with you guys. From the first night we all slept in bed together, the memories didn't haunt me anymore and I didn't need to cry" Changkyun finished, his voice lightening up as he calmed down, mentioning his two rocks of support. "We helped you?" Minhyuk questioned brokenly and Changkyun began to worry, thinking that he should have kept the secret to himself for just a little longer but it was out in the open now and he couldn't take it back. "Yes, I love you, both of you for helping me. I couldn't ask for better bestfriends, because I got the best of the best and I'm so lucky" He brushed the hair away from Minhyuk's forehead and kissing it softly before bringing the sobbing male into his arms, the blonde having a hard time dealing with all the new information.

"It's okay now. Shush sunshine" Changkyun rocked them, murmuring Minhyuk's nickname that usually made him smile. "I'm fine now, they can't hurt me anymore"

"I love you too Changkyun, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you" He sobbed out and Changkyun rubbed his back.

"I didn't need protecting, I needed someone to save me. And you did, you both did"

•❄️•

After their intense heart-to-heart, Changkyun went back to man the store alone as Hyungwon hadn't come back yet, Minhyuk having to head upstairs to wash his face and redo his smudged and running makeup. He cleaned down the new messy tables and gave out orders to the customers that seemed worried that it was only the youngest out by himself. Smiling brightly, Changkyun eased everyone's worries as he jumped around, making the bell on the end of his Christmas hat tinkle.

Hyungwon ended up returned before Minhyuk came down, however he wasn't alone, Hoseok was with him. A pink blush covered both of their faces as their entwined fingers were kept warm in Hyungwon's jacket as they took refuge from the onsleet of snow outside. Hoseok pressed a kiss to the side of Hyungwon's temple, although having to push himself up on his toes a little before going to sit down at one of the tables, the customers now gawking at their barista's gorgeous shorter boyfriend.

"I see my mistletoe did more than just get you your kiss" Changkyun joked, wiggling his eyebrows like he had done this morning before he got hit. "Yeah it did. Where's Minhyuk?" Hyungwon replied dreamily, glancing at Hoseok and smiling when he realised the shorter was already looking, his voice changing however when he noticed the absence of the bright male. "I told him some things that he thought he was ready for, he is redoing his makeup upstairs" Changkyun said and Hyungwon headed upstairs, obviously worried on what could have upset Minhyuk so easily. Out of the three of them, Minhyuk was the one who cried the least so when he did, it was a big deal.

Noticing that everything was done and no more orders needed to be filled, Changkyun slid into the seat across from Jooheon's best friend who was looking at the staircase Hyungwon had just gone up. "He's just gone upstairs to check on Minhyuk, don't worry lover boy" Changkyun remarked and Hoseok turned to look at him, a smile painted on his lips as he reached into one of the pockets of his jumper. "Thank you by the way, I heard the mistletoe was yours and Minhyuk's idea" he thanked Changkyun before pressing the folded blue note into the younger's open palm.

"Read it, someone wants to meet you" Hoseok said mysteriously before standing up and moving to Hyungwon, being engulfed into a warm hug as the new lovers enjoyed their blossoming love. Changkyun played with the blue note, crinkling it slightly before opening it.

Come find me at the place where you first kissed my cheek
- Your Bumblebee 🐝

Changkyun laughed, fingers trading lightly over Jooheon's drawn little bee. He might have underrated how close the two of them, Changkyun and Jooheon, were to Hyungwon but he hadn't been sure at the time that he was ready to open that wound.

"Hyungwon. Hoseok. Man the patisserie, I have to go meet someone" Changkyun spoke up and grabbed his coat hanging by the door, lifting the hood to obscure his face as he opened the door to brave against the fast falling snow that was easily compacting beneath his shoes. He headed quickly to his lower school's playground, being ten blocks away from where he worked, walking quickly because he was excited to talk to Jooheon but also to lessen the white onslaught.

A puffy black figure waited for him in the playground, standing next to the swing-set in the same position he had all those years ago. Changkyun slowly approached, playing with the blue note in his pocket until he stood in front of the figure, his brown eyes connecting with Jooheon's.

"Almost two weeks ago, Hyungwon told me that you liked me. It got me thinking to when we were little" Jooheon started before giving the swing closest to him, the smallest push to get it started. "You actually remember me?" Changkyun questioned softly, his voice almost carried off with the wind if Jooheon's ears weren't so focused on his voice. "Of course I remember you, I loved every moment I spent with you back then" Jooheon stated "I don't think it was ever possible to forget you, you gave me some of the best memories that I still cherish, not to mention you are the only one who had kissed me" The dimpled male continued and Changkyun's has almost fell open in shock.

"I loved you when we were little, and I love you now. Will you go out with me?" Jooheon said boldly and brought out a small box, when opened, held a promise ring. It was a thick band of silver, engraved with a little bumblebee and a fox, Changkyun's favourite animal.

Changkyun wrapped his arms around Jooheon's neck, letting his lips meeting his to be his answer.

•••

hey sweethearts,

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!! I AM REALLY SORRY

I know there is a lot of angst for a Christmas chapter, and I really apologise for it but I thought it might be best if you guys understood Changkyun's past. Other than that.... DID YOU GUYS LOVE THE LITTLE HYUNGWONHO (I know I did xD). So yes, now both Hyungwonho and Jookyun are official. All that's left are Showhyuk which should either be posted today or at worst tomorrow, I really should have pre-written these chapters but oh well. Enjoy xx

bye,

bailee