First date

“Indecorous” Affection

Two weeks passed, and Joonmyeon’s and Yixing’s busy routines had somewhat kept them apart. Neither texting nor calls could replace the feeling of spending time together physically. Their only alone time had been their rides to and back from Joonmyeon’s college. And back at home, it wasn’t possible for them to have much privacy, considering everyone still thought they were on employee-employer terms. They decided it would be wise if it remained that way, it would minimize the risk of getting caught. But today they finally found some time to spend together.

Even if Yixing had insisted on driving them, Joonmyeon had opposed. He knew how to drive and would often do so when he needed it. The reason Joonmyeon had not bought a car before was that he didn’t want to lose the only alone time he had with Yixing in the past. Luckily for him, Jongdae had agreed that he could borrow his car.

At nine in the morning, Joonmyeon went to pick up Yixing from Sehun’s house (it would be less suspicious). As he walked into the entrance, he was amazed by Yixing’s appearance. Skinny black jeans, a marine blue V-neck that accentuated his prominent collarbones and slender neck, his neatly styled bangs. Yixing looked incredibly stunning. It was an 180-degrees change from often seeing him in his uniform attire.

Yixing felt the same when he saw Joonmyeon. He was wearing gray pants and a white shirt that tightened around his muscular chest and arms. His brown and voluminous hair was up, and it showed his beautiful forehead. Yixing had always found Joonmyeon breathtaking, but there was something this time that made him look even more marvelous.

“Please get a room you two,” Sehun said after seeing how the couple was gazing at each other.

Yixing blushed, and Joonmyeon hit Sehun lightly on the arm.

“You’re just jealous because you’re still single,” Joonmyeon counter-attacked.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Whatever, get off my property and start your date.” He looked at Yixing and waved. “Bye Yixing, don’t feel pressed to laugh at his corny jokes,” he teased before going inside the house.

Yixing laughed at Sehun’s remark, while Joonmyeon shook his head. He grabbed Yixing hand as they walk to the car. “You still think I’m funny, don’t you?” Joonmyeon asked as he opened the car door for his boyfriend.

“The funniest,” Yixing replied.

Joonmyeon had been nervous about planning the date. He knew he didn’t want to do anything too fancy as Yixing might get uncomfortable. Neither did he want to take him to the movies as it would pretty much be like his last date. Instead, he chose for them to go to the amusement park.

It was a good choice. Joonmyeon saw Yixing laugh and have fun with him the whole day, a nice change from the gloomy expression he used to have. However, being in a public area had its disadvantages. He could not grab his hand, his waist, hug him nor kiss him. Public displays of affection between two men wouldn’t have been well received, but the biggest impediment was the risk of someone who knew him seeing them together like that. It was a pity as Joonmyeon often found himself brushing his palm against Yixing’s hand, wishing to intertwine them but withdrawing them in a second, realizing where they were.

After taking a ride in the many daunting attractions, they were hungry. They decided to grab a meal from one of the stalls in the food court. They sat in the corner of the dinner area, isolated enough for no one to notice them there. Immediately after taking a seat in front of each other, Joonmyeon grabbed Yixing’s hand underneath the table.

Yixing smiled. “Joonmyeon, I need my hand to eat.”

“I know but, do you know how much I’ve wanted to do that?” Joonmyeon said and beamed. “I could just feed you if you want. Here, take a bite!” he suggested as he held his fork in front of Yixing’s mouth. Yixing blushed, and Joonmyeon laughed tenderly at the other’s shyness.

Even if it was a bit childish, Yixing took a bite nonetheless. Joonmyeon grinned and let go of Yixing’s hand, took a napkin and cleaned his boyfriend’s mouth. When Yixing smiled at the action, Joonmyeon poked his right dimple.

Yixing laughed at Joonmyeon’s silly behavior. “Was that really necessary?”

“Not really but I needed to,” Joonmyeon replied smugly.

Once they had finished their meals, they took a walk in the game area. They didn’t want to have any accidents while riding the rest of the park’s attractions. Neither of them had much luck, but on their final stop, Joonmyeon had managed to win a small price from the crossbow shoot. It was a small stuffed animal of a white sheep. He gave it to Yixing saying he won it to his ‘little sheep.’ Yixing had a laugh at the weird pet name but accepted it gladly nonetheless.

When they were standing looking around for the next attraction they were going to ride, Joonmyeon felt someone back hugging him. Yixing looked mortified.

“Joonmyeoneee,” said the high-pitched yet familiar voice.

Joonmyeon turned around and, of course, he saw Hye. “Hye… Hi! How did you know it was me?”

Hye laughed. “Oh, Joonmyeon I could recognize you from anywhere.”

This wasn’t something Joonmyeon had expected, he didn’t know how to get out of it. “Who are you here with?”

“It’s just me, my sister, my brother in law and their children. The kids were bored at home. What about you? Are you with Dae and the others?” she asked as she caressed his arm. “You look really good by the way,” she added.

Joonmyeon was feeling annoyed already but still managed to answer. “Thanks, you look cute as well,” he said and smiled forcefully. “I was, but I kind of lost them… Then I encountered Yixing, and we started talking just now.”

Hye gazed at Yixing. She leaned in to whisper in Joonmyeon ears, “Oh, that explains it. I thought it was rather odd to see you with the chauffeur.” She looked back at Yixing and smiled at him. “Hi,” she greeted.

Yixing returned the smiled awkwardly. “Hello Miss Lee,” he muttered.

“Joonmyeon! You should join my family and me. The kids will be happy to see you. You’re like their big brother, well you will be soon,” Hye suggested excitedly.

Joonmyeon felt his heart ache. Today was his date with Yixing, he shouldn’t be spending it with this annoying woman. He looked at Yixing and saw a saddened expression, but Yixing subtlety nodded at him. They were both aware that it would be weird if he said he rather stay with Yixing, but Joonmyeon didn’t want to give in. “I don’t want to leave the guys alone Hye. Maybe some other time?” he asked hoping she’ll accept it.

“Oh come on! I don’t think they would mind. Besides we could call Jongdae and ask them to come and hang out with us,” she said as she grabbed her phone.

Joonmyeon stopped her from dialing, “There’s no need for that... I guess you’re right and they won’t care. I’ll text them and say I’ll be with you.”

Hye smiled widely, grabbed his hand and started leading him towards her family. Joonmyeon turned around quickly and said to Yixing, “See you later Yixing!” while showing an apologetic expression.

As they were walking hand in hand, he excused himself and said to Hye he needed to text the others. He quickly wrote a rueful text: “Yixing I’m so so sorry. It wasn’t supposed to turn this way… Please wait for me here. I’ll try to get rid of her somehow. I’m sorry :( ”

In a short while, Yixing texted him back: “Joonmyeon don’t apologize, it’s not your fault. I’ll wait for you ^^”

Joonmyeon sighed and felt angered at the unexpected turn of events. This was the worst thing that could have gone wrong with their date. After greeting Hye’s family, he hoped for everything to end soon. He didn’t know how long he could put off with the show.

Three hours later one of Hye’s nephews had gotten motion sick, liberating Joonmyeon from staying with them until the late-night fireworks display. Hye had asked him to join them for dinner at their house, but Joonmyeon had declined because he was tired and wanted to rest.

Once free, he met with Yixing at the same spot they were separated. Joonmyeon apologized once again, but Yixing kept telling him he wasn’t upset. It had hurt him a bit. However, Yixing knew things like this were bound to happen. It was unavoidable, and it wasn’t anyone's fault.

Neither of them felt they wanted to continue being in the amusement park, so they decided to call it a day. But before going back home, Joonmyeon asked if they could stop by the river to watch the sunset. The day wasn’t over yet, and he wanted to spend it together with the other. Yixing accepted gladly.

They found a secluded spot. Now they were sitting beside each other, watching the river flow, Yixing leaning on Joonmyeon’s shoulder and Joonmyeon hugging Yixing sideways. For a while, they didn’t talk and only immersed themselves in the scenery. The sky’s warm color, the sound of the small waves, the crispy breeze from the summer wind, and the warmness they felt from being together. For a moment, they wished everything could stay this way, worry free and in each other’s company.

But Joonmyeon still felt uneasy about the whole day and hated the fact he had left Yixing midways to go with Hye. “I’m sorry, I truly am,” he apologized once again.

Yixing held Joonmyeon’s free hand. “Myeon, it’s sad that we didn’t spend as much time together as we hoped to, but I still had a good time. Every moment I’ll get to be with you, be it long or short, I’m thankful. I love you.”

His uneasiness dissipated with Yixing’s reassuring words. And Joonmyeon felt butterflies at the mention of that nickname. Yixing had never called him that before, actually no one had, so coming from Yixing made him feel joyful as if it was something special, it was only reserved for him. “Thanks for not blaming me Xing, I love you too,” he said as he gazed away from the setting sun and looked at Yixing, who was already staring at him. When their eyes met, Yixing leaned in slowly to close the gap between them. Joonmyeon did the same, and in an instant, they were sharing a kiss under the sunset.

Later it was night time, and Joonmyeon parked the car near Sehun’s house once again. They were sitting and saying their goodbyes.

“I guess this is it,” Yixing said with a slightly disappointed tone.

Joonmyeon sighed. “Yeah… But we’ll definitively have more opportunities! And I’ll make sure it won’t be in a place she interrupts us again.”

“That’s inevitable,” Yixing responded as he smiled. “Really, don’t worry about it. And how will you come back from Jongdae’s place? Do you want me to grab the car and pick you up?”

“There’s no need for that, I can take a cab home. You must be tired from today. I’ll call you when I get back,” Joonmyeon replied.

Before Yixing got off the car, they hugged and kissed one more time.