"Final"

How Could I Be So Blind?

It's been one month since Baekhyun's accident. He healed quickly and was discharged from the hospital. Taeyeon helped him through it all. She would come to his house almost every day and bring food for him. They would spend the rest of the day together, hanging out. Taeyeon didn't break her promise until she realized that what she was doing was wrong. She slowly stopped visiting him.

Baekhyun thought it was strange how she wasn't coming over anymore, but he distracted himself with his own thoughts. He thought after all that had happened, he should just tell Taeyeon how he felt about her. She deserved to know the truth after all these years, and more importantly, after their kiss. He planned out exactly what to say and even planned how he would cope with the situation if she didn't feel the same way. 'I'll just nicely accept the rejection and move on.. Sigh, easier said than done isn't it?' he asked himself while he was planning everything out. 'How could I just pretend that my feelings were never there?'

Even so, Baekhyun gathered up all his courage and asked Taeyeon if he could meet her on the rooftop. He waited for her to arrive and was trying to calm his nervousness.

"Baek?" she called when she made it there. Baekhyun turned around and smiled when he saw her.

"Hey.." he said softly.

"Was there something you wanted to tell me?" she asked.

He took a big breath in and out. "A-hem Okay.. This is really important to me and it's going to be difficult to tell you this.."

"What's wrong?"

"Sigh.. Here we go." Baekhyun breathed in and out trying his best to stay calm. Taeyeon looked at him worriedly and waited for him to talk.

"Um.. Ever since we were kids.. I've kinda developed.. Feelings for you." Baekhyun had finally said it. He finally confessed to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon wasn't expecting this confession so soon. Her eyes widen, she was so surprised.

"For all these years, you were the only one I've had eyes for." he smiled nervously. "I hope you can accept me."

He had finished his confession and Taeyeon was analyzing what Baekhyun had just said. She knew before hand that Baekhyun was going to talk to her, so she had also done some thinking on her own.

Although it pained her to say it, she thought it was the right thing to do. "I can't." she rejected him.

She bowed to Baekhyun and apologized. When she looked back at Baekhyun, she was agonized by his ill-natured expression. She tried her best to keep her expression straight. Before he could say anything else, she went down the stairs leaving him there, alone.

"Why didn't you give me a reason?" he whispered as he stared at the door where she left.

 

The two stopped seeing each other altogether. They didn't speak to each other and stopped meeting with their other friends for lunch. Tiffany, Chanyeol, Seohyun and Sehun were worried about their friends, but they couldn't do much about it. It was between Baekhyun and Taeyeon.

When they would see each other in the halls, they couldn't even share eye contact. Taeyeon would look to the ground while Baekhyun kept his face straight. It pained the both of them to ignore each other like this. They've been friends for so long and now fear is keeping them apart. Baekhyun knew that what he was doing wasn't right, but what could he do? 'Maybe I shouldn't have told her. I'm sorry Taeyeon. I can't be your knight..'

Taeyeon was in pain. She rejected her best friend. She did the thing that she was afraid of him doing to her that day. Rejection. 'I'm doing the right thing.. I'm doing the right thing..' She kept repeating to herself. 'Things will turn up. Things will be back to the way it was.' She thought, lying to herself.

One day after school, Taeyeon was at her locker putting her stuff away. She heard Baekhyun's voice in the distance and pretended to be distracted by something while he walks past. When he passed her, Taeyeon turned to look at his back. Beside him was a girl. They were talking happily. Taeyeon felt like her heart had cracked when she saw Baekhyun show his precious smile to that girl.

'Did you get over me that quickly?' She thought. She slammed her locker loudly out of frustration and walked the opposite direction. Baekhyun turned his head to where Taeyeon was and sighed.

Taeyeon went to the rooftop to calm herself down. "Did he really get over me that fast? I thought he liked me since we were kids?" She asked herself. She sulked.

"Ahh, Kim Taeyeon, you shouldn't be worrying over this. I rejected him. He has the right to date other people. I shouldn't be jealous about this.." She scolded herself. She turned her head to look at the view from the roof. "Then why do I still care?" She sighed and leant against the sides. She admired the beautiful spring cherry blossoms. She woke up from her daydreams when she heard footsteps coming from the stairs. She turned around to see who was there and was shocked to see who it was.

"Baekhyun?" She said. Baekhyun walked towards her and Taeyeon slowly stepped back.

"Why are you here by yourself?" He asked her. 'Why are you caring?' She thought.

"Uh.. Nothing, just getting some air. I'll be leaving now." She walked past him.

"Wait." He grabbed her arm to make her face him again. She looked at him. Baekhyun went to his pockets and brought out a small box.

"Here. For you." He said and handed it to her. She took the box, cautiously. 

"Why are you giving this to me?" She asked.

"I was supposed to give this to you on that.. day, but somehow I forgot it at home. I actually had this big thing planned out, but." He cut himself off before finishing his sentence for the sake of making things awkward again. But Taeyeon knew what he was going to say.

"I was going to surprise you with it but now I have no purpose for it.. Might as well give it to you now." He said.

Taeyeon felt guilty that he bought her a present and still gave it to her even though she rejected him. She opened the box and inside was a necklace. "Oh! You got me this.."

"You said you liked it before, so I got it for you."

Taeyeon remembered that day.

FLASHBACK

Baekhyun and Taeyeon were at a jewelry a couple months ago. He asked her to accompany him to buy a present for his mom's birthday since he didn't know anything about jewelry. They were looking around the store for something she would like when something in particular caught Taeyeon's eye.

"Wahh.. Baekhyun-ah look at this~" She exclaimed and motioned for Baekhyun to look. "What a beautiful necklace.. It would look good with all of my clothes!" Her face lit up with excitement just imagining it.

"Yahh.. Are you shopping for you or my mom?" He mocked her.

"Right, right.." She said as she walked away from the necklace, but she still kept her eyes on it. Baekhyun chuckled at her cuteness and also looked at the necklace.

END OF FLASHBACK

She couldn't believe Baekhyun got this for her. Thinking about it made her even more guilty. She felt a lump in and started to tear up.

"Noona? Are you crying?" He asked her when he noticed.

"Ah.. No, no I'm not." She turned away from him so he couldn't see her cry.

"Don't cry."

"I'm not!"

"Look at me." He grabbed her shoulders so she could fully face him. She stopped squirming and looked back.

"You are crying.." He wiped away her tears. Baekhyun saw that Taeyeon seemed bothered. "You saw me earlier talking to that girl, right?" He asked, bluntly. "Were you jealous of her?"

"What? O-of course I wasn't jealous. What nonsense are you saying." She protested.

"The why did you slam your locker and leave?"

Taeyeon tried to best to contain her expression but that didn't work. It was very obvious to Baekhyun that she was jealous.

"Let me ask you one more time. Am I really not the one?"

Taeyeon tried to avoid eye contact with Baekhyun, being too reluctant to answer his question. "I-I just want us to stay friends for-" Before she could finish her sentence Baekhyun finished it for her.

"You want us to stay friends forever. So Noona, can I date other girls?" He asked.

Taeyeon's expression saddened by the thought of that happening. Her eyes watered.

"If we are just friends.. That would mean I would date girls who are not you.. And you would date guys who aren't me." He stared deeply in Taeyeon's eyes. "Is that really what you want?"

Taeyeon slowly looked down without answering Baekhyun's question. Baekhyun knew what this meant. Taeyeon was sticking to her first answer that day. He slowly let go of Taeyeon's shoulders and walked away. Taeyeon watched Baekhyun walk away and couldn't hold in her feelings anymore.

"I don't want to break up with you!!" She yelled out. Baekhyun stopped in his tracks and turned around.

"I don't want you to date other girls. I don't want you to leave me to grow up by myself. But.. I would hate it the most if we broke up!" Tears streamed down Taeyeon's face as she confessed everything she's been holding in. "That's why I couldn't date you, pabo.. I don't know what I'm supposed to do!!"

Baekhyun looked at Taeyeon. He didn't know she felt this way. "So what you're saying is.. You like me?" He tried his best not to smile as he asked her.

Taeyeon slowly nodded. Baekhyun walked towards Taeyeon and lifted her head up and held her hands.

"I won't date other girls. I won't leave you by yourself, ever. I won't even die without your permission. I promise we will never break up. I love you and I won't love anyone else but you, Taeyeon." He said.

Taeyeon formed a smile while Baekhyun was telling her all of those amazing things.

"I love you too, Baekhyun." She said. Baekhyun's face lit up and she showed a genuine smile. He pulled her in for a hug and sighed in relief. Taeyeon hugged back and sniffed as she felt happy tears coming.

"Stop crying~" He told her, swaying their hug.

He pulled away from their hug. Baekhyun eyed Taeyeon's lips and bent down to reach them. Taeyeon's eyes slowly closed as he approached her. Their bodies melted into an embrace in their kiss.

Baekhyun took her by the hand. They walked home together, hands intertwined, while cherry blossoms fell around them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhh.. So this is the end of my fanfiction.

BUT it's not entirely over yet.. I will be posting a special chapter sometime this week. (hopefully before the MAMA awards..)

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED AND SUBSCRIBED TO THIS STORY <3

Maybe I can write another we'll see 

Don't forget to follow my instagram account: @taenghyunee

<3

-Taenghyunee