Different

Together

Her

It’s been a week since that incident where Monkey-boy told me his personal issues. Although I’m in the same class as the trio (Hyorin, Donghae and Eunhyuk), I’ve been trying to avoid him as much as possible by hanging around with Donghae most of the time. It was too awkward to be with Monkey-boy, but he doesn’t seem to notice my distance from him. I felt partly empty though, the fact that I couldn’t talk to him for some time. I couldn’t figure the reason as to why I was feeling this way—this slight emptiness.

“I want to talk to my dad so much, but I can’t. You can, but you refuse to. I’d be lying to say that it’ll be okay without your parents.”

Was I too harsh when I said that? He didn’t respond to it well since he just walked to his room and ignored me.

“Are you okay Hyoyeon?”

I blinked my eyes back to reality when Donghae appeared spontaneously beside me. I was sitting at the bench in front of the school garden that Hyorin introduced me to (Well, rather than introducing, it was more like the first time she declared war with me). 

“I’m fine,” I answered. “What’s up?”

“Did something happen between you and Hyukkie?”

“N-no, w-why would you think that?”

Damn my stuttering!

Donghae took out his heart shaped lollipop and started it like the child he was. “You guys haven’t been fighting ever since the annual performance ended. It’s as if you guys act invisible to each other.”

I laughed at his reasoning. “Isn’t that better than fighting with each other?”

“No!” He objected immediately. “Fighting is just another way of communication isn’t it? To express feelings to each other is better than not saying anything at all!”

Him

We haven’t been conversing with each other for a week now, her and me. I assume that she felt uncomfortable around me ever since that night. It’s not that I’m bothered by it anyway. Even if we were to communicate, I wouldn’t know what to say.  

“I think that’s a great dream.” She finally spoke. “I hope you can achieve it.”

Every time I see her, I’m being reminded of what she said and I turn cold to her to cover up my nervousness. I don’t know why though. Ever since she said those words, I couldn’t get it out of my head—her gentle smile and how her eyes lit up. What … was going on in that moment?

“Oppa!”

“Yeah?”

Hyorin scrunched her face and pushed my chest lightly. “Did you listen to what I said?”

“Uh …”

“Aish … I said I wish you the best in the future!”

“Why?”

She then giggled. “Did you forget that today was your birthday Oppa?”

“Oh … right.”

Well that actually makes sense now since I found a present everywhere I’ve been today. There was one at my desk during theory lessons, one in the dance studio, one in the changing room, even one in the toilet cubicle that I entered—I kind of left the present there since … it’s gross. How they got the present in there I’ll never know.  

Hyorin then hooked back onto my arm and we continued walking and talking. Well, rather, she was talking most of the time when my peripheral vision caught a glimpse of Donghae and Hyoyeon sitting next to each other.

Her

I was done with my classes for the day and as I exited out in the front gates, I saw Donghae talking to an old woman. She almost looked familiar—her features reminded me of a certain someone.

When the woman had left, I pounced on him with a surprise “BOO” and he jumped in cowardice.

“Aiyah!” He gasped and patted his chest, trying to control his near-heart attack experience. “It’s only you Hyoyeon-ah! You scared me.”

“What’s there to be scared of?” I chuckled. “Ghosts?”

“That, and also zombies, monsters, black crows, black cats, vegetables—“

“Yeah, I get the point.”

I get the point that you’re a child trapped in a man’s body.

“Was that your mom before?”

His eyes then dropped to the ground and his expression turned sullen. “That … that was Eunhyuk’s mom.”

“My parents despise me dancing.”

My immediate response was to quickly chase her but a force pulled my arm back. I attempted to break away but stupid DongDong had me locked in his tight grasp.

And to think that I thought this guy was weak.

“What’re you doing?” He questioned with a stern expression.  

“What do you think I’m doing?!” I replied impatiently. “Eunhyuk has to see her!”

“See her and do what?!” He retorted in a serious manner. I was flabbergasted by his sudden frustration and stood frozen. “What’s going to happen then Hyoyeon? The mother and son haven’t seen each other for two years. Do you think they’d hug each other and accept each other? Of course not! The reason Eunhyuk left was because they wanted different things! For that duration … what makes you think it’s going to be that easy?!”

“But you said it yourself!” I spoke back. “To express feelings to each other is better than not saying anything at all!”

We then stared at each other in silence and he slowly dropped my arm. I almost feared him in that time frame though. I was talking to a completely different Donghae.

“I’m sorry Hyoyeon.” He apologized. “I understand your feelings … but please try to understand Eunhyuk and his mother’s feelings. It’s just … not the right time now.”

His eyes were now pleading me, and although I would’ve still wanted to chase her, I just couldn’t. I placed my hands on his shoulders and exhaled a deep breath.

“You and Eunhyuk,” I began. “Must be really close. So I’ll listen to the words of his best friend and not do anything rash.”

He then returned back to his usual self as a cute smile was spread across his face and I was thankfully relieved.  

“What’s that box you’re holding?” I asked as I glance at the object in his hands.

“It’s Eunhyuk’s birthday present that his mother told me to pass onto him.”

“Birthday?”

“Oh right!” He exclaimed. “I need you to help me Hyoyeon!”

Him

“So what you’re saying is …” I clarified as I sat down in the waiting room with Hyorin. “Your dog is having severe constipation so we have to take it to the vet?”

I then scanned the room as there were all sorts of pets, big and small. Parrots were squawking, cats were hissing, goldfishes … were bubbling? I don’t know.

“Yeah,” She nodded as she patted the small Chihuahua in her lap. “Poor Cha-Cha has probably been in so much pain.”

“Wow, what a birthday.” I sighed.

“Sorry Oppa, for asking you to come with me.”

“It’s all right,” I then paused and took a sniff from my nose. “What’s that smell?”

“Omo!”

I regretted the moment that she looked down at my shoe because I did the same.

Ah, crap. Literally.

Her

As I was heading to Eunhyuk’s apartment which is where Donghae asked to meet, I passed by a small stationary shop which had an item hanging in the front window that captured my attention. I went in to buy the item and shoved it in the side pockets of my jacket.

When I finally reached the place, Donghae opened the door for me.

“How did you …”

“Hyukkie gave me his spare key,” He grinned stupidly. “I love his trust for me~” He began to dance around in circles while I rolled my eyes and entered, ignoring his idiotic queer behavior.

We then started decorating the apartment with colorful streamers and balloons.

“So this is going to be a surprise birthday party?”

“Yepp!” He said as he was placing a banner up on the wall. “Hyorin’s gone to distract him. Usually, we three would go to Hyorin’s restaurant to eat but this year, we thought to make it different.”

“It just used to be us three, NOW YOU’VE RUINED EVERYTHING!”

“The three of you huh …” I repeated in a tone that made me seem tired from hearing those words, or anything related to the number three. “Then I guess I shouldn’t be here … that’ll make Hyorin happy.”

He then chuckled softly. “Did Hyorin tell you off about us?”

I nodded.

“Don’t worry about it,” He stated. “Sure, we three are close but that’s not always a good thing.”

“What do you mean?”

“Some people say that people of opposite genders can’t always be friends, because eventually, love can intrude and tear the whole friendship.”

His voice was starting to get shaky now, along with a bitter grin. “Hyorin likes Eunhyuk. She always had and she might even end up being Eunhyuk’s girlfriend. When they become a couple, I’ll be the third wheel so eventually, I’ll be left behind … I’ll be all by myself.”

His facial expression was turning gloomy as he continued on, talking about how Hyorin liked Monkey boy.

“But I don’t think that’s what you’re worried about.” I remarked. “Donghae … do you … like Hyorin?”

He then looked back up at me and his face was flushing red. Looks like I’ve got my answer.

“O-Of c-course n-not!” He squeaked back. “I-I … d-don’t … i-it!”

“Yeah, I totally understand what you’re saying now.”

He then sighed and slumped onto the couch while I hopped beside him.

“I thought it was a feeling of admiration first.” He began to explain. “The first time I heard her sing was at our high school competition and it was so beautiful … then gradually, these feelings grew differently. I wanted to hug her when she was happy. I wanted to hug her when she was sad. I … just wanted her.”

“And you feel like you can’t have her just because she likes Eunhyuk?” I spoke. “Eunhyuk might not even like her back.”

“That’ll be even worse though,” He continued. “If Hyukkie doesn’t like Hyorin, then our friendship will break. It’ll be too awkward to hang around with each other and confessing to her will make it even more horrible.”

I then pinched his cheeks to wake him up from his misery. I couldn’t stand looking at him speaking so sadly, and I just wanted to lighten up the mood.

“Sorry, I’m not really good with advice.” I stretched his baby fat even wider now, ejecting pain on his facial muscles.

“Ow, Ow, Ow!” He squealed and then I let go.

“But let pain fight with pain.”

He let out a small chuckle while we returned back to the decoration again. I could tell that he wasn’t over it, and it even made me confused. Since when were there such rules in friendship? These limitations will just push people over the edge in the end and hurt someone anyway. Why does it have to be so complicated?

Him

It was getting late now and Hyorin’s dog is finally treated after a long wait. She refused for me to walk home by myself and decided to join me.

“You know, it’s usually the guy who takes the girl home.”

“Yeah well, take this as my birthday present for you Oppa.” She giggles as she holds the leash of her dog. “Too bad Donghae had to help his parents at home that we couldn’t celebrate your birthday this year.”

“Meh, we can’t always have the same birthday each year.”

We were walking to my apartment door now and she grins brightly.

“You’re right Oppa.”

I looked at her suspiciously as I opened the door and out popped Donghae and Hyoyeon out of nowhere.

“SURPRISE!” They yelled in unison, including Hyorin, as they clapped and laughed. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

“Hehe, were you surprised Oppa?”

“Guess who planned this for you?” Donghae beamed stupidly while holding a cake.

Twenty three candles. Another year has gone by so quickly with these guys.

They started singing happy birthday and I blew all the candles out. Stupid Donghae then just had to smudge some of the cake’s cream onto my face. I then avenged him by doing the same and soon Hyorin was involved. Hyorin then splattered some on Hyoyeon’s face and so began the cake war between the four of us.  

Laughter, joy and happiness took place in the room as we danced, sung and ate. Again, I was ignoring Hyoyeon for the most part but I didn’t have much care for it.

I walked out to the balcony later on when they were busy singing karaoke. I looked out to the city view in the starry night sky as I opened both of Donghae’s gifts. He always gets me two gifts nowadays.

One of them had a heart shaped biscuit and the other one was a pair of new sneakers. Just in time too since my shoes were getting worn out.

“H-happy birthday,”

I turned around to see her standing there.

“Thanks …” I reply as I stared back at my shoes.

I was hoping for her to say goodbye but instead, she walked closer and stood next to me as we focused our eyes towards the city view.

Silence fell upon us as only the police sirens and cars driving could be heard. The city lights were flickering from afar and the stars were standing out more brightly now.

“Do you like your presents?” She asked, slicing the silent air between us.

“Yeah, Donghae always knows what to buy for me, despite his stupidity.”

She let out a small laugh and took out something from her pocket.

“H-Here.” She said as her eyes continued to avoid mine and held a tiny box in her hand.

I took it out of her hand and opened it to see, a monkey key chain. My face immediately dropped into pessimism.

“What is this?” I posed in dissatisfaction. “Did this cost you two bucks?”

“It was three dollars you idiot!”

“I’d rather you just give me the three dollars.” I spoke as I shook the little key chain in my hand.

She suddenly chortled. “The monkey is swinging on Monkey-boy’s finger.”

“Yah!” I scorned. “Respect the birthday boy!”

“Oh that’s right … you’re a monkey-grandpa now, aren’t you?”

I then let out a heavy sigh and leaned forward on the balcony bench.

“It’s the thought that counts you know.”

I looked back at the key chain where the monkey looked like king kong, with a banana in his hand. I looked at the item in amusement. “What type of present is this? Hahahahaha~”

“Fine, if you don’t want it—“ She tried to grab it out of my hands but pulled it away from her quickly.

“—No! A present is a present after all.”

She then smiled and looked back up at the stars again. My eyes unknowingly took the sight of her figure now. The glaze of the crescent moon was reflecting her face at this time and made it seem like she was glowing brighter than the city lights. I never knew how fair her skin was and how big her eyes were until now.

 I quickly glanced elsewhere because I had that unknown weird feeling again—this nervous feeling I want to reject but can’t.

What is this …?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n:And so chapter 8 came out~ Okay, I know you all don’t ship Donghae and Hyorin—neither do I. The reason I chose Hyorin and Donghae as the supporting characters towards this story is because they fitted the roles perfectly in my opinion. Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk were selected because they are honestly my bias but not only that, they suit the characters greatly as well. I hope you won’t be put off by Donghae and Hyorin as this is just a story.

Thank you readers, commenters and subscribers <3 You’ve all been awesome people and give me strength in writing even more (:

*her-reality