Precious

Together

Her

Since I was free today, I thought to go to school for some improvements on my dancing. Just a good Sunday where it’d just be me, myself and I in the studio … is what I thought.

“HYOYEON-AR!” A twenty two, almost twenty three year old child speaks with his mouth full of sweet bread. It’s not a cute sight. “WAI AREN’T CHYU ITING? NYOM NYOM.”

For all who couldn’t understand, this old boy is asking me ‘Why aren’t you eating?’

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” I scolded. “You look like an idiot.”

He gulped down the last of his food and wiped the crumbs on his face with his hand. “Ah why~?” He pouts while looking at the uneaten heart-shaped waffle on my plate. “Since I’m paying, you should at least eat your food with courtesy.”

“Dude, you’re the one that’s eating like a pig.”

He ignores what I said and traded his empty plate with my waffle plate. “If you’re not going to eat, then allow me to demonstrate.”

I puffed out a sigh and let my head drop onto the table.

“Whash up witchyu?” He speaks again with his mouth stuffed with waffles.

For this reason must I translate the words again for viewers, he questions as to “what’s up with” me.

“I had a full, pumped out day planned today.” I complain. “And yet I was dragged all the way here from you. Now I lost my energy from talking to you, DongDong.”

“Well there was no one else to play with me,” He speaks with clarity this time, presuming that he swallowed the waffle down already. “Hyukkie has work. Hyorin said she’s busy with something important and so luck you! Today you won a free coupon and spend a Donghae day today!”

“Is this coupon refundable for any other prizes? Like spending the day with famous actor, Hyun Bin?”

He sadly pouts like the child he is and takes a sip of his chocolate milkshake.

“Mmmm,” He smiles satisfyingly as he now begins to play with the straw, stirring the drink in his cup “I wonder what Hyorin is doing now …”

His before cheerful, dorky character suddenly gloomed down, as his eyes seemed to be dazing off into blank space, as if they were longing to see Hyorin’s appearance. His mischievous grin was barely curving up and I almost felt bad for not being able to tell him that Hyorin’s heading down to Jeju Island to participate in the Youth Talent Competition.

Of course I like Donghae oppa,” She stated as she sat next to me. “But it’s a different like. I like him more as a best friend.”

“Why is it so hard?” I asked and he focused back to me now. “Why does there have to be such a restriction on being friends? I really don’t understand.”

“I honestly don’t know,” He answered while he looks down at his empty plate. “You know, at times I just want to yell at Eunhyuk to tell him how stupid he is for not being able to like Hyorin and I want to yell at Hyorin to tell her that he doesn’t like her. Then I start blaming myself for liking her in the first place and it’s all just so … frustrating.”

“Would it really be better if Eunhyuk and Hyorin was a couple?”

The thought of them two being together just didn’t feel right for me, as this curiosity of Donghae’s answer slightly worries me. However, he lets out a chuckle and stares at me directly.

“Would it be bad if they were a couple, Hyoyeon-ah?”

“Well it wouldn’t be fair for you.” I reasoned.

“Just for me?”

“Well … yeah …”

He seems to be hiding some knowledge behind his sudden smile, as if he was reading my mind.

“Life is unfair Hyoyeon,” He continues. “Nothing can always be the happy and chappy all the time, but we have to live with it. I’d rather move on from an experienced pain than to make it the subject of my life. Use it as an opportunity to start anew, to gain strength.”

There were no words able to flow from my opened mouth as I was filled with surprise that this twenty two year old child said such profound words.

“Haha!” He stands up from his seat and poses with a victory sign with his two fingers. “Don’t I seem like one of those main wise old men in dramas who is admired by all of his followers?” He his invisible long beard.

“Why do I know you?” I question to myself as I forget his one minute cool image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donghae sits back down on his seat and lets Hyoyeon drink her cup of coffee. ‘You don’t know it yet, do you Hyoyeon?’ He thinks to himself. ‘That the unfairness you speak of isn’t for me … but for you, and how you feel about Eunhyuk. The time will come soon when the trio may have to break out friendship, but I’ll be ready for it, I guess.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Him

“Eunhyuk-ah!” Ahjussi calls from the cash register after I served the ordered food to the customers.

“Yes?”

“Someone left a present for you.”

He handed the bag of items towards me and as I opened it, there revealed a large amount of herbal medicines, teas and my favorite snacks.

 “Wah!” He laughs at the shocking gift and pats my back. “How lucky are you to have your mom drop this off for you!” 

I felt as though time stopped for a second as I repeat the word. “Mom?”

“Oh, was it not your mom? Maybe it was your aunty then … well she looked like a relative of yours! It was almost like watching an older woman version of you. Haha!”

Without his permission, I rush out of the restaurant immediately, but was lost as to where to go. I stood in the middle of the streets, looking both left and right to see if her presence was nearby, but only strangers were filling up the environment.

 I tighten the grip onto the bag full of items as I stare down at the ground, in both frustration and confusion.

“I’m sorry, mom.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknowing to the boy’s eyes, his mother was hiding at a corner close by to him where she heard him say ‘mom’ again. She covered with her hand to force a silence to her hiccups as tears were running down her face.  She hasn’t heard her son say that in a long time but her heart ached especially when she heard him apologize.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her

After a long, tiring, exhausting, insanely wanting-to-kill-self day with Donghae, I was finally able to attend my sanctuary of movement that I haven’t been to for a while. Since I’ve been in the dancing studios all the time now, I miss the warmth of the sunset glazing on my face when I danced.

My lips curve into a smile and I instantly drop my sports bag on the ground. I fiddled through my pocket to locate my mp3 and placed the earphones into my ears when I found them. Switching onto any random music, I took a whiff of the fresh air.

When the song had begun, my shoulder joints popped outwards and push my arms into various directions. My torso surged into a smooth wave as my feet controlled the length of it. The fastened beats of the music urged my heart to pound harder as I instinctively lashed my hair in the atmosphere where my body rotated in a 360 degree, connecting my steps to the speed of the song. When the song finally concluded, I posed with my feet apart in line with my shoulder width and one of my arms in the air, as a feeling of accomplishment just swept right through me.

I returned back to the original world when I took off my earphones and was welcomed back with a spontaneous applause coming from behind.

 “That’s my child right there!”

I spun around to see mom, sitting on the park bench with a beaming facial expression. 

“Mom?!”

As I went over to her, I had seen a plateful of homemade kimbap accompanied with some orange juice on the side.

“What is this mom?” I asked suspiciously, slightly frowning at her. “Are you drunk today?”

I regretted saying so when she gave a whacking to my head.

“Aigoo!” She lectures as I shove the small piece into my mouth. Donghae ate most of the sweets at the café before and I refused to eat with such a pig. 

“Takeaway food is good, but homemade food is even better.”

I shake my head out of thinking about him again. How’d that get into my mind? It’s just these past days where I’ve always questioned my random wonderments about him.

When I dance, I imagine how he would overcome an obstacle.

When I talk with Donghae, I imagine on how he would talk to him.

When I talk with Hyorin, I curiously wonder what charms he has for her to like him.

He’s manipulating my mind somehow.

 “Yah!”

Totally forgot that mom was yelling at me—maybe that’s a good thing actually.

“Were you listening to me?”

“Yes mom.”

“Were you really?”

“Of course—“

“—that’s good.”

“—not.” 

She threw me another bruise on my body now, this time on my arm which made me wince in pain.

“Aish …” She sighs as she begins to massage my arm muscles. “You shouldn’t work too hard like this. You might even break your arms.”

She takes out a tissue from her handbag and began wiping the sweat from my forehead. As she did so, she cupped my face in her hands and smiled at me again.

“You’re growing up so fast now Hyoyeon-ah,” Her voice softened. She then caressed my cheeks with her fragile fingers—the wrinkly fingers that looked after me from birth, the woman who gave me life is right in front of me.

The precious things in life can be the tiniest, but because of all the negative aspects that influence our lives, we tend to forget about these cherishing moments.

“Ah mom!” I exclaim. “How’d you know I was here?”

She released her hands and rested them on her lap as she looked out at the pastel-pink sky.

“You always went here to relinquish your anger at me when you were a kid, didn’t you?” She chuckled as she saw my surprised face that read: ‘How’d you know that?!’

“A good mother knows everything about their child. Whenever you came here, your dad would follow you and bribe you with some junk food to come back. Aigoo, even though I told him that he shouldn’t spoil you …”

She isn’t sad, and I can tell that we’re both reminiscing over the times when dad was alive. He was the best father a child could ask for and ever since he left to the heavens, I felt as though the park was the only place where I could be with him. We always played in this area, never forgetting to take a glimpse at the sunset.

I held my mother’s hand into mine as we both look out to the sky now.

“I love you mom.”

“You’re just saying that because I made you kimbap today.”

“No, I really do! I only love you and dad~”

“If you love me, then buy a mansion for me to live in.”

I then exhaled a sigh and pushed her hand away. “Forget it. I don’t love you that much.”

“Yah!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two women began bickering to each other but it was how their relationship worked, as a mother and daughter. The older woman in particular enjoyed the bond with her daughter the most, because now that her husband had left her, she only had her child to treasure. However, she knows that in the future, there’ll be another person in the girl’s heart as well. ‘Any man would be lucky to have you Hyoyeon-ah.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to school that following Monday and as I walked through the dancing department halls, I saw the famous school trio conversing to each other.

I shouldn’t interfere, or else Hyorin will yell at me again and—“YAH!”

Too late—did I even do anything wrong yet?

“What took you so long?! Come here~!”

Her gesture perplexed me as I went over.

“Look, look!”

She then showed all three of us her performance at the Youth Competition in Jeju Island.

“Wow, you killed the moves!” I commented, proud that my training did something.

“How’d you get so good Hyorin-ah?!” Donghae complimented, proud that his love did well in dancing.

“Mmm,” Monkey-boy nodded. “You’re getting better at dancing now.”

Expect this guy to be useless when it comes to praises.

Hyorin giggled in confidence as she placed a ‘V’ shaped finger pose. “I did good right? Ha! I was even able to get third place! They’re going to air this next weekend or something, so I’m going to be on television as well!”

Donghae jumped in joy as he high fived her while Eunhyuk patted her head, making her gulp in shyness.

“So your mom recorded your performance?” I asked, glancing at the video camera in her hands.

“Of course!” She replied. “She wants her own filming of her beautiful daughter on stage~”

She then battered her eyelashes at me while I zone out of the conversation.

“A good mother knows everything about their child.”

“Truth is, my parents despise me dancing”

“It’s Eunhyuk’s birthday present that his mother told me to pass onto him.”

If that’s true then … I stared back at the video-camera in Hyorin’s hand and looked back at Monkey-boy.

Video-camera.

Monkey-boy.

Video-camera.

Monkey-boy.

I think I may have a very childish idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n:Whoosh~! Felt like I needed some time off from stress of work and everything so I just updated another chapter for myself, and for you all. Do you guys know that feeling? As if when you’re writing, or just daydreaming, you find yourself in a whole new world. So yeah, chapter 12 is here and done.

What inspired me to write this chapter was my mother, and all mothers. Not all people get along with their moms, but for me, she’s the greatest person alive in this world and without her, I wouldn’t exist.

What is wrong with me today? LOL. Let’s just move on from that topic and continue.

Hope you all enjoyed this chappie, maybe, no? Not at all?

Cool.

D:

So like, watched snippets of Invincible Youth 2 ep 20, ft. Shinhwa. And whenever Junjin was holding Hyoyeon, I was like: “WHY CAN’T THAT BE EUNHYUK?!”

D:

Anyways, enough with my random thoughts and words. Thanks for reading, commenting and subscribing. You guys are the best. THE BEST. THE BOMB. WOO.

:D

Okay, bye for now. (: