Beat of the Heart

Together

Her

“Mom, I’m going to my audition now!” 

“WAIT, WAIT, WAIT NOW!” Mom yelled as she came closer towards me. “Here’s a good luck charm.” And she kissed me on the forehead while cupping my face in her hands. “Aigoo …”

“Mom, I’m not leaving forever.” I chuckled. “Why are you so dramatic?”

“Aish!” She pinched my cheeks. “I wish you would leave! You keep looking after me as if I’m a grandma. Now go!”

I smiled at her one more time and was ready to go. For the past few days, I’ve been practising his dance consistently until my legs felt like they were dying. The feeling of so much effort put into work was fun and I even added my own style to the dance.

It felt as though I was flying into another dimension.

The auditions were over and I passed. As I was packing my things into my bag I was met with Ahjussi, Eunhyuk (YOU DIE) and two other strangers.

“So you came,” Ahjussi grinned from ear to ear. “YOU WERE AWESOME!”

He pulled me up and thanked me whole heartedly.

“Sem,” The girl next to Eunhyuk spoke. I think she was the same person who sang majestically last time. “Do you know this person?”

“Ah that’s right!” He exclaimed. “I’d like you all to meet Kim Hyoyeon. She’s going to be part of the team.”

“Say again?” I question with my eyebrow cocked up.

“That’s fine with me,” The guy next to the girl agreed. “She’s good. THE MORE THE MERRIER! HOHOHOHO!”

What is he, Santa Claus?

“Nice to meet you,” He came out. “I’m Lee Donghae.”

Oh wow, when he danced with Monkey boy last time, he had a totally different aura.

“WAIT.” The girl shouted. “What is this? All of a sudden, we’re adding a stranger to join our class and we have to prepare for the upcoming performance and—“

“—About that.” Sem laughed nervously.

As he explained my reasoning for being here, I smiled at each compliment he gave me.

OH HOW PROUD I WAS.

“But she wouldn’t know where we’re at and the annual performance is next week Sem!” The girl complained.

Wow, she really must not like me.

“That’s why,” He looked at Eunhyuk. “I need you to help her catch up.”

“WHAT?! WAIT, EUNHYUK OPPA DOESN’T HAVE THE TIME TO—“

“—Kay,” He finally spoke. “I’ll teach her.”

“WAIT.” I shouted. “I don’t really need him to teach me, because I can learn from uh … Donghae-ssi?”

He then giggled and slapped me playfully. “You can call me Donghae if you want, or oppa!”

Is he gay?

“But I’m sorry,” He pouted. “I can’t teach you as well as Eunhyuk can.”

“Then it’s settled!”

“W-Wait!” Both I and the girl tried to intrude but he just left the four of us backstage.

I shrugged my shoulders and sighed.

“Hi,” I introduced. “I’m Kim Hyoyeon.”

She didn’t bother shaking hands with me and rolled her eyes. “Ah, yeah, Kim Hyorin.”

Did I do anything wrong to her?

“OMO.” Donghae suddenly gasped. “HYORIN, YOU HAVE YOUR MUSIC LESSON NOW!”

“Ah! That’s right!”

She quickly exited while it was now Monkey-Boy, Donghae and I, all awkward and silent.

“Ehh … HYORIN, WAIT FOR ME!” Donghae called as he chased after her.

Him

Now that it was just her and I, I decided to begin the conversation.

“How long did it take for you to remember my movements?”

She smirked. “Although I couldn’t remember the whole dance, I had to add some of my own.” She paused. “It took a long time … but it was worth it.”

I stared down at her and leaned in closer to look into her eyes. We were no more than an inch away from each other’s face. Her eyes widened with shock.

“Could it be,” I whispered. “That you’re interested in me? Stealing my dance movements?”

She then pushed me away and stomped hard on my foot. I grunted in pain.

“Yah!” I scolded. “I’m going to be your dance teacher you know?!”

She scoffed at my comment and walked off. “I’ll see you tomorrow then, Sem.”

I smile. I guess she’s not the coward I thought she was.

Her

My first day attending Gae In Arts University felt very strange. It was as if everywhere I go, people were staring at me and conversing about me.

“Did you hear?” One person began. “Apparently she performed a girl version of Eunhyuk’s dance.”

“She was really powerful in her movements.”

“Her body was moving like a beast.”

I don’t know whether I should feel happy that people are talking about me or annoyed that everyone keeps looking at me as if I’m some freaky creature.

Walking through the wide halls of the dancing department, I saw the favourite school’s trio. Hyorin was standing in the middle of Donghae and Monkey-boy.

“They look good together.” A girl whispered. “Almost like a couple.”

“Didn’t you hear?” The other responded. “They are a couple, that’s why Eunhyuk oppa rejected so many girls.”

I continued looking at the duo. Hyorin and Monkey-boy. So they’re dating huh? To tell you the truth, I really can’t see their compatibility with each other. She’s too good for him.

“Hyoyeon-ah!” Donghae jumped as he hugged me. WHOAH, TOO MUCH SKINSHIP BOY. “Do you want a heart shaped brownie?”

I could almost vomit. “Uh … no thanks …” I rejected.

“Let’s go.” Monkey-boy spoke as he grabbed my arm, dragging me to an unknown place—WHERE AM I GOING MAN.

“Oppa!” Hyorin cried.

Yeah, she’s going to hate me now. Great.

“Omo!” A guy yelped. “Look at that! Eunhyuk just broke up with Hyorin to date Hyoyeon.”

“Maybe he has a for people with a ‘hyo’.”

“Or girls that have ‘Kim’ as their last names?”

I kept slapping his hand off but it wouldn’t budge.

“Yah!” I exclaimed. “If you hold onto me like this, your girlfriend is going to mistake us. Oh wait, EVERYONE IS MISTAKING US.”

“She’s not my girlfriend you idiot.” He remarked.

“Really?” I asked again. “Good for her! I knew she can do better than you!”

He then threw me in a dance studio and scratched his head.

“Yah!” He scorned. “What do you mean by that?!”

“Well a monkey wouldn’t really suit a pretty girl like her, would it now?”

“M-Monkey?!”

“Aigoo, aigoo.” I sniggered. “Look at you angry monkey, want a banana?”

He then sighed, and smirked as he drew himself closer towards me. Every step he made towards me, I stepped backwards. The mirror stopped my feet.

“Are you …” He paused for a second as he continued staring into my eyes. “Relieved that she’s not my girlfriend because you want to be mine?”

When I was about to push him in the chest with my hands, he took a strong hold of them and maintained his gaze on me. Quickly, he let go of one hand and spun me around. My body was now facing the mirror and he was standing behind me, his hand in mine. It was almost as if he was hugging me from the back with one arm. He rested his chin on my shoulder and grazed his face against mine.

I couldn’t move. All I felt was the heat from his body against mine.

“Dance,” He said as looked into the mirror. My eyes followed. “Needs feeling.”

He pushed me outwards, still our hands did not separate. “Dancing tells a story.” He pulls me back into a drop where he caught me with his other arm. He stared into my eyes again. “The body moves to not the beat of the music,” He spins me back up. “But to the beat of the heart.”

He grinned as he saw me stood there. Maybe my face showed it all, but I was astonished.

My heart ... during that time, kept drumming—not because of him, but because each movement danced with each beat.

“That’s the one rule I want you to remember.”

I could only nod in silence as I tried to avoid his eyes.

“Now get ready for some intense training,” He warned as he the music from the speakers. “And let’s see how good you are.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY NEW YEAR! May you all have a great twenty twelve and succeed in your resolutions.

*cough* and may there be more hyohyuk skinship in reality *cough :D

Chapter 3 is up! Thank you for subsribing and commenting <3 Readers make my day.

*her-reality