Hard to be a DJ

Monster Radio

 

 

“Today I went to a park. As expected, autumn is here! I´m not exaggerating when I say that leaves were falling on me like a snow. It was really pretty, you should go out sometimes too, everyone. Everything was yellow and gleaming in the sunlight. Your silver DJ also likes gold! Let´s listen to Kyuhyun´s ´At Gwanghwamun´.”

The song began playing and I leaned comfortably into my spinning chair. I began playing with my blonde hair when on the display of the monitor if front of me popped up a message from the director: ´Why so romantic today? Kkkkk´ I looked up through the glass and saw the staff giggling. I stuck my tongue at them and straightened up. The song finished.

“For everyone who was wondering about my sentimental mood, yes I´m trying to appeal. You are listening to the DJ that was trending for being too obnoxious, Eunhyuk!”

After that the staff room burst out laughing and most of the listeners´ messages had laughing smileys included. I felt that if nothing else, I was still a good DJ. I smoothly continued with the programme, introducing guests that would come after the commercial break and checking instinctively the time on the red clock.

We were in the middle of the programme, I was just asking the guests about their upcoming projects, when on the display appeared another message from the director: ´We´re going to connect you with a surprise caller.´ I didn´t like stuff like that but it was an order so I had no choice.

“It looks like somebody is calling, do you expect a call?” I joked looking at my guests, I believed it was somebody they knew. “Hello?”

“Oh, hello!” The surprise caller greeted.

“Hello, this is Kiss the Radio, who´s there?” I asked since the other person still didn´t introduce himself. I was looking for this tone of voice in my memory but I couldn´t think of anyone.

“Ah, I´m Lee Donghae, nice to hear you,” finally the mystery was solved. Well, only half of it actually.

“We have Lee Donghae calling into the studio, what´s the occasion?” Even my guests were looking at me quizzically. I signalled them that I didn´t know.

“About that, I was listening to the radio and heard your romantic comments,” Donghae said.

“Yes, yes,” I reacted but still had no clue what was on his mind. Apparently Donghae himself was kind of lost. Why would he call if he didn´t know what to say?

“I thought I would call and share some of my good mood,” he was already quite flustered. I had to come to the rescue or else he would ruin the show.

“That´s really nice of you, Donghae,” I smiled and the staff room suddenly looked much calmer. I hope they will know better than to accept these surprise calls again. “The truth is, Lee Donghae is the freest celebrity from ten to twelve, right?”

“Hahahaha,” only laugh came from the other side of the line. Fortunately, I didn´t expect anything better.

“Please, do something useful, Donghae,” I scolded him jokingly.

“Ah, yeah, I´m sorry,” Donghae apologized in the middle of his laugh.

“Thank you for calling, Donghae!” I quickly tried to end the call, the celebrity understood.

“Everyone, good night!” He greeted and the very end of his speech sounded a little cut off. If he shut it off himself or if it was the staff I didn´t know but I was glad it was over. I glanced at the clock and it was the commercial break already.

“Let´s listen to Lee Donghae´s ´Growing pains´,” I shook my head, “and then we will continue with the quiz.” Smooth, I collapsed into the chair once the familiar song began playing. I realised that I should start taking Lee Donghae more seriously as this person was now going to pop up unexpectedly in my daily life.

The night was chilly, I realised it when I walked out of the warm studio. I met some fans in front of the building, they weren´t my fans of course, but they also asked me about Lee Donghae. I threw them a senseless joke and then walked away. I buried most of my face into the scarf and pushed my hands into my pockets to protect them from the winter wind. Why was the wind so cold when it was still autumn? Why was winter already knocking on the door? I wasn´t t usually the one to complain about weather but my ears were seriously red now!

“Huhuhuhu,” Drop-Face was pointing to the tips of my ears and laughing. I rolled my eyes. Monsters weren´t cold, I knew by now. They weren´t hot either, I tried to cook my monster once but he only laughed. Yes, I was able to touch them but it wasn´t something I would do often. First, it wasn´t anything comfortable, especially Drop-Face felt like a bundle of slime. But most importantly, they had to let me touch them or it could happen by accident. Those were things I found out through the years of my life. But there was one thing I´ve never seen. A person not owning a monster.

“Kakakakakaka,” the shadow following me was now acting as if he was also cold. Imitating my posture and chattering teeth.

“I wish you felt cold too,” I mumbled only for him to hear.

“Kakakakaka,” was only what I heard back.

At the entrance to the club I met Lee Sangmin, he was talking to a staff member in the doors. When I wanted to pass through them, he gestured me to stay and wait. I clenched my teeth and waited, hiding my frown from my boss. Lee Sangmin was a friendly person, he used to be in debts but once he paid those off, he hurried to start a business again. He opened ´LTE´ and the club was doing quite well. When the new club was opening, I went to ask for a job. At that time, I worked only as a radio DJ and wanted to find one more place to fill up my night. I risked it with the businessman and the risk paid off.

“Great, Hyukjae,” he turned to the frozen me standing by the door. I seriously need to start paying attention to the weather forecast.

“Kakakakakaka!”

“Is something the matter?” I asked while grinning into my scarf.

“Do you have the morning show today?” He asked me with hope written all over his tanned face. Some party people walked out of the club, staggering away. Some other people got inside instead. It was always busy in front of the club.

“No, I don´t, why?” I asked although I pretty much knew.

“I want you to stay at least until five or six in the morning,” he was looking into my eyes. “Of course I will give you a bonus for it.”

“No problem,” I shrugged. It wasn´t a big deal. I knew I would be dead tired and cry later but doing favours for Lee Sangmin paid off, not even talking about the bonus. “Is there going to be a VIP?”

“Yes!” Suddenly his face brightened. “The cast and staff of the hit drama Skip Beat is having a party to conclude the successful filming. Do you understand what it means?”

I nodded but Sangmin continued talking. How much prestige our club will gain, many people will come only because the actors are going to be there. Success and everything he was hoping for. I couldn´t hear him because all it meant to me was that I would have to see Lee Donghae again. He was the main character in the drama.

“Kakakakaka!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Regular update as always. I saw in the comments lots of interest in Donghae´s nonexistent monster. You will have to wait for the revelation a little longer. Also if you are interested, I started with cold weather themed oneshots again, so check them out. And in case you love supernatural, I sorted out my fics into categories for you to easily find your favourite monster. Thank you for reading and commenting and have a nice day! - PandaHero