Looking for a guest

Monster Radio

 

 

It was so cold that the tips of my hair were white. I blinked away the tears that poured out because of the cold wind. I was holding a paper cup of coffee and shaking. I dressed warmly but I have been sitting in the outdoor studio for an hour already. And when I finally had a short break to do something about my body temperature, he had to come. I didn´t know how to react to the uninvited guest.

“What?” I asked.

“I heard you are broadcasting from here tonight so I stopped by to say hello,” Lee Donghae grinned at me.

“Aren´t you busy? Why would you come here in this cold?” I shook my head, I couldn´t believe it.

“My schedule is empty tonight,” Donghae chuckled, “there are many people that came to see you, why can´t I also come?” It felt weird, I didn´t want to jump into conclusions but Donghae sometimes really seemed gay. Or maybe he´s just the cheesy type? I don´t know him that well.

“Well, have fun then,” I tapped his shoulder and gave him my coffee. I had to go back to the outdoor studio, my guests should be there soon. I turned around and walked to the PD.

“It looks like they won´t make it,” the woman in orange jacket told me.

“What? But we are about to start? What should I do now?” I asked her. I knew it wasn´t her fault that the guest didn´t arrive but I wasn´t ready for one full hour of improvisation.

“Woohooo!” Only Drop-Face could find the whole situation funny. His face was on his black belly and was sticking his tongue. Bastard.

“I´m sorry. You will have to start alone but we will try to invite a comedian or somebody who could arrive quickly,” she looked at me apologetically. I nodded my head and squeezed her hand for a second as an apology for my outburst.

I jogged into the half-opened tent. Fans of our radio cheered for me and I waved at them. The commercial was about to end and I put on my headphones. I sat down on a chair, I had a table next to me with the monitor and useless script. I took a microphone in my hand and waited for the small red light on portable digital clock blink.

“Good evening, everyone!” The crowd cheered. “The sweet voice coming from our outdoor station belongs to your favourite Eunhyuk DJ. You are listening to the Kiss the Radio, 89,1 cool FM!” The melody played for a few seconds.

“Actually, today we were supposed to invite Nine Muses but I thought that in this cold it wouldn´t be appropriate,” some people frowned. Of course there were many fans of the group, I advertised their coming in yesterday´s show. “Which gentleman would let the girls freeze, right?” I chuckled.

“But you don´t have to feel disappointed, I have a guest that doesn´t have any less power to warm up your heart in a cold day like today.”

The display in front of me was filling with commentaries from the staff. Like what the hell I was thinking. That they didn´t find a substitute yet and so on. I suddenly felt like pranking more people, not only my PD. I grinned and looked at the crowd excited.

“Everyone, please welcome the talented singer, songwriter and passionate actor,” at this point the PD seemed to be about to faint. Where could she find a person like that at this point?

“Lee Donghae!” I stood up and prayed to heavens that the fellow hasn´t left yet.

He hasn´t and before the applause finished, the man came running. He entered the tent and I shook his hand, with my eyes pleading him to save me. Donghae chuckled and awkwardly sat down next to me, I handed him his headphones. Now, I have a guest, although he´s not funny at all. But Donghae has something else, fame. The man is on top of the search list at all websites, his advertisements are practically everywhere and also he rarely shows in variety shows or popular radio shows. It was a little treasure that would for sure bring in more people. And as expected, only after the basic talk, the crowd in front of the broadcast station doubled in size.

“I see,” I smiled after hearing out Donghae´s upcoming plans for this month. I had to make this a little entertaining. I glanced at the comments on my display. “Listener 9059 asked if you could play us the guitar. Is it possible? We do have the instrument here.”

“I like to accompany myself on the guitar when I sing my ballads,” Donghae explained, staff meanwhile brought the instrument and handed it to Donghae. “But my fingers are a little frozen so I apologize.”

“Don´t worry about it, we made you play so suddenly, after all,” I smiled. It was going well.

Actually it was going much better than just well. Strangely Donghae managed to help me until the end of the radio show. He played the guitar twice and sang live, he even asked me to fill the rap part in his song. I was lucky to have his album and listened to it many times, the cover came out well. The whole show was a big success. When the red light turned off, I sighed in relief. We bowed to the crowd and walked back behind the tent. I had my belongings there.

“Thank you, Donghae,” I told him sincerely, “you saved me today.”

“No problem, I came by myself,” he pointed out. I chuckled. “Are you busy now?”

“It´s Sunday so no, I´m free,” I shrugged. I couldn´t shake off the feeling that Donghae came here knowing that. “Should I invite you for a drink? As thanks?” I offered. I wasn´t really in for it but I did owe Donghae for helping me out tonight.

“That would be great, I´m really cold already,” Donghae grinned.

“Tell me about it,” I sighed, rubbing my hands.

Donghae´s manager dropped us at a less known bar, we didn´t want to walk right from the broadcast station or else fans would follow Donghae around. The manager left, though, I hoped he would stay with us. Donghae said we could take a taxi back. I felt uncomfortable. We ordered soju and some snacks to go with it, Donghae was in a good mood and began talking.

“That´s why I like seafood,” Donghae explained. It was around two in the morning and he was quite tipsy already, I couldn´t let him pass out this time.

“I don´t eat seafood, my stomach can´t process it well,” I added to the topic. I enjoyed talking to Donghae, even now when we were speaking about food. It was good that I invited him, we could talk to each other normally here. I stopped feeling so endangered, but I shouldn´t have let my guard down.

“You really are a charming person,” Donghae suddenly said. Because I can´t process seafood I´m charming?

He was smiling and looking at the small glass he had in his hands. He was playing with it; his voice was deep. Brown hair was falling over his forehead, even at two in the morning he had to look dashing. I was pondering if my genes were that bad or if I failed to sell my face better. Or maybe he just uses expensive cosmetics.

“At first I thought you were a rude person,” he continued talking in that sultry tone, “but I had to get to know you better to find out that you are only somehow mischievous.”

“Hm, I wonder,” I finally registered what Donghae was talking about. “People say I´m weird but I don´t really care.”

“You are special,” he then looked me in my eyes and I felt it. Fear filled my heart, I could see it coming. Please, tell me he´s not going to confess. “I´ve never met anyone like you. I was wondering if you would want to go out with me some other time again.”

I didn´t want to break his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I´m sorry for the late update and for not proof-reading but I have my exam period now. I´m not sure about the next week update either but I have some prewritten stories you could check in the meantime. About Hitchhiking or about Jazz. Thank you for your patience and messages, don´t catch a cold and have a nice day! - PandaHero