Breaking

Monster Radio

 

 

“You !” I burst out at Drop-Face this one late February afternoon. I was having a dinner with Donghae before Kiss the Radio but I was unable to come out of my house due to the monster´s sabotages.

“Uhuhuhuhuhu! Pft!”

Drop-Face went to great lengths to bother me. He even brought back a game he used to play with me when I was at university. It was hide and seek but the purpose of the game was to startle me. There were many ways how to indirectly bother me and I think that Drop-Face has tried them all. Right now he was jumping at me every ten minutes and I would always get startled. I ruined two shirts already, one with coffee I was holding and the other with toothpaste that I spat when Drop-Face appeared in the bathroom mirror. In shock I also tore my earphones apart and that´s when I exploded. My favourite earphones!

“You know, I´m starting to think that you have problems with Donghae,” I remarked quietly when I was putting on the shoes.

“Aaaaaaaaaak!” Drop-Face screamed and his black eyes widened. I hang my head down, suddenly terrified. Even after all those years, I was still pretty scared of Drop-Face. I didn´t understand why I could see monsters and I couldn´t get why I had to keep being punished for it. I didn´t want to see monsters. I wish I was like Donghae, monster-less.

When I finally managed to get out of the house, my shoes landed in a thin layer of snow. It was still there, the temperature didn´t rise above zero since the huge snowstorm two weeks ago. The dirty city snow was crunching beneath my soles and I awkwardly made my way to the foreign car parked in front of the house. The door opened and I slipped into the comfortable warmth.

“You´re late,” Donghae complained, he was driving by himself today.

“Sorry,” I simply said, deciding not to mention Drop-Face this time around. Partially because I didn´t want to worry Donghae and partially because the monster was in bad mood and I didn´t want to provoke him.

We arrived to a grill restaurant that was owned by Donghae’s co-actor. They gave us a table in private and I was looking forward to the meat. Donghae said we should have a feast, although I reminded him that he had a schedule overseas later and that he shouldn´t overdo it. But my friend was in a very good mood and so I shrugged it off. I thought that I should focus on Donghae who was shining and not on Drop-Face that was scaring me today.

“Try the sauce, it´s delicious,” Donghae said and pushed a piece of grilled meat into his mouth.

“This place is really good,” I nodded my head. I liked the sauce too.

“Pays off,” Donghae awkwardly tried to wink, “to go on a date with me,” he joked. But somehow, when he said that, I felt enlightened. I smiled widely and maybe even blushed, I don´t know.

“Yeah, it´s a good date,” I told him. It was a brave move and I felt suddenly very nervous. Was this a good idea?

“Don´t say it with a smile like that, Hyukjae,” Donghae rolled his eyes, “you´re leading me in again.”

“Maybe I´m doing it on purpose?” I bit my lip. I was in a strange mood, completely shaken by my own daring thoughts. I used to think about my relationship with Donghae a lot but I always to a conclusion that I liked him as a friend. On the other hand I couldn´t deny that my conclusion was kind of forced. Were these my true feelings? Was Donghae a little more than a friend to me then?

“You are a bad guy, Hyukjae,” Donghae then sighed exasperatedly, “playing with my heart like that.” He still didn´t catch that I was serious, I couldn´t blame him, though. I have hurt him before.

“I could say the same,” I murmured, clearing my throat. Donghae suddenly looked up at me curiously and I hurried to push a big piece of meat into my mouth. Maybe I was talking too much. I was getting led by my senses instead of my right mind, I shouldn´t say something I don´t mean. But somehow my words to me sounded sincere. Donghae was the first ever person to believe in my monsters and before I knew it I was having some unidentified feelings towards him. I called them ´like´ but they called themselves differently.

“Hey, hey,” Donghae chuckled and when I looked into his amused eyes, I ended up blushing deep red. This is bad. “Is it possible that you fell for me, Lee Hyukjae?”

“That!” I choked on the mouthful I took. “That´s taking it too far, I mean, I am just, I don´t know.”

“I see,” Donghae was smiling mischievously and I had to drink some water to cool down. What did I get myself into? “I´m just too much to chew, right?”

“You are not making it easy on me,” I said and put down the chopsticks.

“And you are making it hard on me,” Donghae sighted but the smile refused to leave his lips. “But I won´t let this chance slip.”

“What do you mean?” I asked naively and Donghae smirked. Then he stood up and walked around the table. He leaned over me and kissed me on the lips without any prior warning. At first I was startled but I thought that I shouldn´t push him away. All I could think of was that we are doomed if anyone comes inside the room. I closed my eyes, squeezing my sweater with my fists. And suddenly it was over.

“So, does it feel bad to kiss a man?” Donghae asked me smiling. He tried to look cool but he was obviously nervous, it gave me confidence.

“Nope,” I chuckled, “it´s okay, I guess.”

“Okay?” Donghae laughed. “Just okay?” And then he leaned in again and kissed me deeply, this time I closed my eyes quickly and responded right away. It felt good, really good. I trusted him, I trusted Donghae with everything. He knew about my monsters and he was fine with it. The trust and intimacy we shared between us overgrew into something big and I decided to be brave and embrace the new feeling. My fists loosened and Donghae slowly pulled out.

“We are going out, Lee Hyukjae,” he then told me and returned to his seat. He crossed his arms over his chest to seem serious, yet he was shaking in his boots. What if I said: we aren´t?

“But take it easy,” I chuckled and wiped my wet lips with my thumb. “Your boyfriend is a beginner,” I said and stuck my tongue at him. Donghae blushed deep red and cleared his throat.

“No wonder,” he was then back in that joking mood, “with your personality no doubt you would be a .”

“What? I´m not!” I widened my eyes and pretended to be mad. “Come here!” I jumped from my seat and grabbed Donghae´s collar. I was going to squeeze his nose or something annoying like that to punish him but at that moment came the waiter and I quickly returned to my seat. It was embarrassing.

When the waiter left, I glanced at Donghae and he looked back at me. We smiled at each other meaningfully, it was exciting. Our relationship has been always full of secrets but this one we were sharing together. And I didn´t regret anything. At least not until four more hours later, when the news broke out. Social media are a scary thing.

´BREAKING: Lee strikes again! What happened in the restaurant?´

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OMG! So fast! Another disaster is coming, though and Hyukjae is still not sure about this whole thing. Only being his usual unorthodox self. Thank you for reading and my, my... some of the comments are getting close to the big secret (revealed very soon!). Also, check this super short oneshot too if you have time! Have a nice day and thank you! - PandaHero