I see you I hear you

Monster Radio

 

 

All I remember is the scream. Awful never-ending scream echoing and ringing in my ears. I was trying to put bits and pieces of memories together but all I heard was the screaming. The sole conclusion the loud sound was evoking me was Hell.

“Do you know your name?”

“Lee Hyukjae.” Eunhyuk or sometimes Eun DJ. And, I think Hyuk could go too.

“What is your job?”

“Radio DJ.” From eight PM to ten PM and sometimes also in the morning. I work in a club too, in LTE for Lee Sangmin.

“What colour is your hair and eyes?”

“Blonde and brown.” I bleached it again recently, it´s originally black. I used to wear glasses but I underwent operation.

“What is the last activity you remember doing?”

“I had a date.” We kind of screwed, I hope he won´t ask about that. We had a takeout and cuddled on the sofa. I don´t remember anything else.

“The last person you saw was your lover then?”

“Yes.” No. It was Drop-Face. “I´m tired.”

“It´s alright, you should rest. When you wake up, press the button and I will come again,” the doctor smiled, “it´s important to understand the damage as soon as possible.”

I didn´t react anyhow, my face was so swollen that even if I tried to show some mimics on my face, it wouldn´t work. I was in hospital, having a room all for myself for some reason, perhaps Donghae´s doing. They told me I had an accident and that there´s a huge possibility that my brain was damaged. But for now it seems like everything is working fine, except that I can´t seem to remember the most recent memories from the accident. But that´s considered as a part of the shock.

My left arm is fractured and my left shoulder was dislocated. The rest of the injuries on my body are minor, bruises, cuts and bumps. If it wasn´t for my patched-up head, I would have been freed from this white prison. I hate the smell and I hate the ringing in my head. But I´m sure there´s something wrong with me, I can feel it. Something is off.

“Knock, knock!” The voice said instead of actually knocking on the door. “Hey, Sleeping Beauty.” It was Sungmin.

“I hope you brought me something decent to eat,” I told him before even greeting him.

“They said I shouldn´t bring you food,” he smirked and I knew, “but a small cake won´t kill you.”

“If anything, it will bring me back to life,” I took the spoon he handed me and naturally asked, “you´re alone?”

“Seeun is at work and people from the radio said they would visit tomorrow,” Sungmin told me and served me the cake. But I didn´t mean those people. Someone else. Isn´t there someone else? The short and weak one, he used to sit in the corner-

“Monsters,” I stopped almost breathing. Where are monsters? I looked around and in the white room they were supposed to be obvious. And not only Sungmin´s little freak wasn´t here, Drop-Face was gone too! “I don´t see monsters,” I whispered.

Did they disappear? Or is it that I can´t see them anymore? Maybe they weren´t real after all, maybe I made them up and when I hit the wall, they disappeared from my head? Wall, I hit the wall when I was driving to the radio. Donghae left earlier because he had schedule, it was raining so he left with his manager and lent me his car so I could safely travel to work and back. Drop-Face was pissed, he screamed. Drop-Face was screaming for an hour and then coughed up a bloody scream. The road was frozen, it rained and then the temperature dropped, and I slipped on it when he terrified me. I hit the wall and Drop-Face is gone.

“He made himself perish.” His stunt turned against him. There´s nothing wrong with my brain, the only that are missing are monsters. Drop-Face is still somewhere in the room, probably on the ceiling and making weird noises. I looked up but didn´t see anything, a tear then slid down my cheek.

“Hyukjae? Why are you crying? What monsters? There aren´t any monsters,” Sungmin was confused and worried. My memories were coming back, the puzzles weren´t perfected but I was already crying crocodile tears. I knew what happened.

“No, there aren´t,” I whispered, “but I will just make sure, help me out.”

Then I put away the plate with the cake and began climbing down from the bed. Sungmin wanted to stop me but I was being stubborn and he was too kind. He gave me a gown to wear and slippers. Then he was slowly holding me by my arm because I felt dizzy. I only wanted to go out on the hallway to see but I didn´t see anything. The hallway was noisy and there were many people. About twenty people in total but zero monsters. Zero. Gone. Amazing.

“If you come back, I will tell you something, okay?” Sungmin tried to lure me back to the bed. I was sure now, though, that´s why I returned voluntarily.

“You don´t have to be afraid, Hyukjae,” he sat me on the bed and himself next to me. “We are all being protected. I see them. I´m sure you won´t believe me and you will think that I´m crazy but I see them. They shine warmly, I call them souls but they can be spirits or angels. Every single person has one, even bad people, even children and old people.”

“But you, Hyukjae,” he smiled embarrassed, “you have the most dazzling soul I have ever seen in my life. When I met you for the first time, I immediately befriended you and I don´t regret. So don´t be afraid, Hyukjae. It watches over you, it wouldn´t let any accident or monster harm you.” Sungmin cleared his throat and my chest tightened. So it´s like that?

“I believe you,” I told him. Out of anyone in this world I have to understand.

Sungmin was incredibly happy, he said that people used to mock him when he had a slip of tongue. He told me that after all, I had to understand when I have such a bright soul. Sungmin was so excited and teary eyed when he left the ward that I decided to never ever tell him. That there are monsters too.

“Hyukjae!” I didn´t have any time to absorb what I had just heard from Sungmin and I had already another visitor. This time around I did my very best to show an expression on my face. I did my best for a wide smile. I ended up grimacing but Donghae understood.

When Donghae heard about the accident he panicked. I heard he was the first to arrive to the hospital and that he also made sure I had the best care. He would text me all the time and I would answer only when I was conscious. Every message ended with ´I love you, Hyuk´ and I simply settled on the heart emoticon. Donghae was sweet to me and I was doing my best to keep up. Now when he was in the room, I didn´t feel frustrated anymore that Drop-Face was gone.

“My fans sent flowers for you,” Donghae chirped and searched for a vase. He gave up soon and put the bouquet on the windowpane. “Since you are my non-celebrity best friend.”

“Just that?” I teased, still sitting awkwardly on the high bed with my legs dangling as Sungmin left me.

“How is it again?” Donghae pretended to be looking for the precise words in his memory. He walked to me and very lightly and carefully kissed me on my swollen cheek. Then his arm embraced me and comfortingly rubbed my sore body. “Ah!” He then acted as if he suddenly remembered and put his lips to my ear.

“Hyuk, you are honey for my ears.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finally! The ending! Aaaah, this story felt so long but it´s only 24 chaps. Strange. I had a little different idea about this but somehow in the middle came exams and I ended up twisting it and finishing differently. Still, the response was wild so I believe you enjoyed yourself :). The real idea of the story was actually Sungmin´s unexpected secret.I´m sure you haven´t thought of that one kkkkkkk. For those who are interested, let´s meet at my new chaptered story or the slowly finishing one shot compilation. Thank you very much for reading and your active participation, I hope that everyone who feels they have their own Drop-Face making it a hell for them, can realize that there is a good spirit in the game too. Take care, everyone!!!! - PandaHero