- In The Dark or Light

The White Pearl

The clouds were forming as Taeyang and Byul were on their way home. During the drive, both were quiet until Byul remembered about Suho's grandpa's notebook. "Oppa, I was going to ask you yesterday... did you find something in the notebook and it caused you to change?" Taeyang fell quiet, "You said you want the truth, I'll tell you everything once we get home."

It started to pour outside when the two crossed the bridge before entering the community where they lived. When they reached their house, the two sprinted inside but still couldn't avoid getting wet. Neither of them went to dry up and decided to talk right away. Taeyang told Byul to enter his workroom; this room is usually off limits to her when her dad, grandpa and brother had a serious discussion inside.

Byul's dad and grandpa knew what was going on the moment the two entered the workroom. The two stood outside the room listening and began preparing themselves to storm in and calm Byul down if needed.

Byul sat down as Taeyang went to grab the notebook as well as the two entries. He held the entries in his hand and really didn't want to tell Byul about what her path may end up to be but he also felt that if he told her, she might be selfish enough to turn away and leave EXO. He closed his eyes and breathed in and out; opened his eyes and headed to hand it to Byul.

Byul sat on the couch and took the notebook and the entries and was shocked, this was the paper she had seen in her dream. "Oppa, where did you find this?" Byul asked and examined the notebook and the entries. The ripped pages fit with the notebook and she was amazed at how her brother managed to find it. "When I looked at the notebook the day Suho showed it to us, I had a feeling I had seen similar pages in this workroom that's why I rushed home that night" Taeyang answered.

"But why are you giving it to me? Does it have to do with EXO?" Byul asked. Tayang nodded and replied, "it also has to do with the both of us. We always wanted to know where our powers came from even when we are not related to Exodus; the answers are in the ripped pages. Also what we have been searching for over the past couple of months are also written. You better prepare yourself though." He said calmly because he knew if he was to waver just a bit, it will cause Byul to feel even worse.

Byul placed the notebok down onto the coffee table and unfolded the first entry carefully scared she might rip the paper as it has been worn out over the years. She read it carefully and her eyes began to widen. Taeyang was observing her expressions to try to read what she was currently feeling. Thunder could be heard from the inside and it was raining really hard. Byul raised her head and looked at her brother, "w-we have the powers of the White Pearl?" Taeyang nodded. Byul placed the first entry down and thought about it; "That explains why...the stones that EXO oppas have would shine when we fight Chaos and when I was around. I thought it was a coincidence, but it was because of me." Byul thought to herself. She now knew the reason why they had been only getting signals of getting close to the White Pearl's power yet it would disappear after awhile because she would not be using her powers.

Byul unfolded the second entry and before she could unfold it completely Taeyang grabbed her hand, "Do you really want to keep reading?" Byul nodded, "Something is telling me I must know everything." Taeyang let go of her hand when she said that.

She read it and at a point she kept reading a sentence over and over, "Byul who gained 70% of the White Pearl's powers will die once the powers are removed regardless if she is injured or not. The White Pearl will need to be used in order to save EXO planet and I feel guilty that it may have to end with a sacrifice." Her eyes began forming tears, the thought of her may having to face death was something she was not expecting. Taeyang looked at her with a worried expression, this wasn't something anyone can take when they read that they might die in the future. Byul finished reading and her tears had now overflowed and was rolling down her cheeks.

"What is this?" Byul asked not wanting to believe what she just read. "This can't be true right oppa?" She wept. Taeyang walked over and sat beside her and placed his arm around her shoulder trying to comfort her. "This is why I didn't want to show it to you. I didn't want you to know and so I decided to pull you far from EXO." Taeyang replied. Byul closed her eyes for a moment with tears continuing to stream down her cheeks. "Why me? why did the White Pearl choose me? There's so many other people out there stronger than I am and smarter than I am, why did it happen to be me?!" Byul yelled in frustration breaking free from her brother's embrace. "I knew you would act this way thus I didn't want to tell you but you insisted." Taeyang replied.

"You can leave EXO right now, don't tell them who you truly are and we'll just live our lives normally again." Taeyang suggested to keep everything burried. Byul shook her head and was in a dilemma; leave EXO, leave the person she has developed feelings for, leave tens and thousands of people who may be in danger at the end of this year and save herself; or do what the entry has said and use her powers to save the planet.

Byul couldn't think properly and wanted to be alone; she pushed the workroom door opened and ran past her dad and grandpa. "Byul ah." They said but Byul had ran out of the house and into the pouring rain.

"Byul ah!" The three yelled, Taeyang quickly went to grab an umbrella and ran after Byul. When he ran outside, Byul was already out of sight; he got worried and went after her.

"Was it better to be hidden in the dark or be out in the light? better to know or not to know?" Byul thought as she ran through the rain.