Eighth

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun was doodling on a blank piece of paper as the sun made its way through the window into the office. The bookshelf full of thick books made the room even more boring. All Chun felt like doing was sleeping. The door suddenly flung open and Chun crumbled up his piece of paper tossing it into the garbage bin sitting straight up in his chair as his mother walked in. She looked at him suspiciously, but didn’t walk any farther into the room.

“Lets go,” she announced.

Chun frowned, “Where are we going?”

Without answering Mrs. Wu already walked down the hallway making Chun chase after her.

A few minutes later Chun found himself frowning with regret as he recognized the building of the Wang’s business. He didn’t feel well enough to speak if he ran into Selina. Actually he hadn’t wanted to meet her though he felt guilty that he hadn’t gone to eat dinner with her especially when Jiro had already told him her address.

“I know you haven’t seen her for a week,” Mrs. Wu told. “Why don’t you two have a good talk or something? You must be dying from not seeing her.”

“Mom!” Chun scolded.

Mrs. Wu smiled, “On the other hand don’t worry I have a business meeting with your uncle.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina sighed and blew out her cheeks as she stared at her cell phone. She’d already added Chun onto her contact list, but couldn’t decide if she should really make a call to him or not. Why was it so hard? She’d been so content with calling him earlier, but now she couldn’t even make a dumb decision.

There was a tap on her shoulder shattering her thoughts. Selina turned around to see a man with thick glasses.

“The boss would like to meet with you,” he told.

Selina wondered what he wanted this time. He wasn’t going to set her up for something again would he? Selina hoped not. She swallowed hard knowing she’d drown in his handsomeness once more. After knocking she heard Jiro’s voice telling her to go in. Selina closed the door after her and made her way over to his desk.

“You wanted something?” asked Selina.

Jiro smiled calmly, “I recall saying I owe you right?”

Selina thought back, “I think so.”

“You want to go out for lunch?” asked Jiro.

Selina felt as if a tsunami had washed over the world turning everything around. He asked her for lunch? Couldn’t be…what about the raise she needed?

“Um…well…” Selina started, but the door opened and Chun poked his head in surprising both of them.

Seeing them Chun’s eyes widened in surprise. He hadn’t thought he would ever see the two of them together.

“Oh…” was all he muttered out.

Selina felt strange seeing Chun stand there and the other fact that stuck out in her mind was that Jiro was there.

“Why are you here?” Jiro asked sounding more offensive then curious.

“My mom brought me here,” Chun told. “I was thinking if you had time on your hands we could have lunch.”

Jiro turned to look at Selina and Selina looked back at him. She didn’t know what to say if Jiro expected an answer from her. Chun glance at Jiro as he glanced at Selina then turned to look at Selina. Chun felt a sick feeling surge inside of him. It was a feeling he recognized.

“I’ll talk with you later,” Jiro told. “Sorry for wasting your time.”

“It’s ok,” Selina told and stole a glance in Chun’s direction before making her exit.

As the door closed Jiro turned to Chun.

“You look like you’re starving,” Jiro told.

Instead of going to the cafeteria Jiro and Chun went to their usual café to have their usual sandwiches and pizzas.

“Are you two actually dating?” Jiro questioned.

Chun glanced up at Jiro, “I don’t know.”

Jiro laughed, “What kind of an answer is that?”

“I don’t know really…” Chun admitted, “she is really cute.”

“So you do like her,” Jiro told.

“I’ve only seen her three times,” Chun pointed out, “but if she is my girlfriend you better not touch her.”

Jiro turned his attention to his sandwich. The way Chun had said it sounded as if he meant it as a joke, but in another way he sounded dead serious.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

After work Selina hadn’t felt like going home. Finding her way to the staircases Selina sat down on the stairs and stared at her cell phone. She’d already used the rest of her money for her grandpa’s medication and the rest she had used to pay the bills. She should have just asked for a raise quickly before Chun had interrupted. Selina sighed and leaned her face against her hand.

As minutes of encouraging herself went by Selina flipped her cell phone open and pressed the call button. In a second the sound of the phone ringing came on.

“Hello?” Chun’s thick low voice answered.

“Um…hey,” Selina began.

“Who’s this?” Chun asked. “Do I know you?”

Selina couldn’t help, but feel like an idiot. Of course he didn’t know her number so he wouldn’t know who she was.

“It’s Selina,” Selina told.

“Oh…” Chun went dead silent feeling embarrassed and lost.

Selina quickly thought up of a way to kill the silence.

“About um…uh…you know dinner,” Selina told.

“I don’t quite have time tonight…” Chun answered really quickly.

Selina wanted to laugh at his nervousness, but she was also feeling nervous herself.

“It doesn’t have to be tonight,” Selina told. “When are you free?”

Chun went silent for a while and finally answered, “To tell you the truth I actually didn’t want to have dinner…”

It was Selina’s turn to go silent.   

Feeling as if he’d hurt her Chun spoke quickly, “Well I have nothing to do next week Wednesday.”

Selina smiled, “Ok. How about at 7? You don’t know where I live do you?”

Chun seemed hesitant to answer but answered anyway, “Well…I got it from Jiro.”

Selina felt her body burn up. From Jiro? Had they been trading information? She felt embarrassed.

“Oh…ok,” was all she said.

“Well…I’ll be sure to come,” Chun promised. “Bye bye.”

Selina closed her phone breathing a sigh of relief that she’d gotten it over with. A second later her phone started to ring. She didn’t recognize the number on the screen.

“Hello?” Selina answered.

“Can I treat you to dinner?” surprisingly it was Jiro.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Did I scare you?” asked Jiro.

Selina felt uncomfortable as the waiter helped scoot her chair in as she took a seat. She wasn’t used to person doing something like that because she’d never been to a restaurant like the one she was sitting in with Jiro.

Noticing her lost expression he asked, “Are you ok?”

Selina turned to Jiro raising her eyebrows, “What?”

Jiro laughed and smiled casually, “Never mind. Lets order.”

The waiter passed them two menus and Selina gasped as she glanced at the prices. It was obviously overly expensive for her, but of course Jiro would be able to manage. It wouldn’t matter to a rich man like him.

“Are you ready yet?” the waiter asked 20 minutes later.

Jiro set down his menu patiently and glanced at Selina who looked at him embarrassingly.

“Sorry,” Selina told.

“Two steaks please,” Jiro answered and handed the waiter their menus.

Selina pressed her lips together as she stared at the table cloth. Even the table cloth seemed highly expensive. She glanced around to find that everyone else eating there seemed so formally dressed. Maybe they were all rich.

“Is something wrong?” asked Jiro.