Thirthyseventh

Single Portrait

***

Chun gazed out the window in Selina’s bedroom. He wished she hadn’t gone. The house felt boring and empty without her. Even if they argued it was better listening to her voice than the silence that now surrounded him. Was she doing well? Was she adapting to her new environment?

“So you’re in here,” his mother said walking into the room.

Chun didn’t reply and didn’t turn around as his mother walked over.

“Do you miss Selina?” his mother asked. “I wished she could have told us where she was staying.”

Chun silently agreed with his mother.

“But I’m sure when she feels ready she’ll contact you again,” his mother said, “do you want something to eat?”

“I don’t have an appetite right now,” Chun replied.

“If you get hungry later there’s some leftovers in the fridge,” his mother said.

With one more glance at Chun his mother walked out of the room closing the door after her.

***

Ella seemed to look all over the ceiling as if there were any bugs around. Selina hurried into the living room with a bowl of rice and set it down on the small table.

“Sorry if it’s not comfy. I just got in so I haven’t gotten everything yet,” Selina said.

“It seems great,” Ella said, “compared to the big place I live at it doesn’t seem to get so lonely here.”

“Really?” Selina asked.

Ella nodded.

“So you actually moved out,” Ella said.

Selina nodded, “It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I feel a lot less burden being here and it feels freer. I’m also glad I came out.”

Ella smiled. She had a lot of things on her mind she had wanted to ask.

“So…how are you and Chun?” Ella asked.

Selina looked up from her plate of food surprised by Ella’s sudden question.

Ella smiled then said, “Actually I was at the banquet with Jiro. Congrats on the engagement.”

“But that…” Selina began.

“I’m happy for you and if Chun is happy I’m happy,” Ella said.

“I called it off,” Selina finished. “I already talked to them…that’s why I moved out.”

“You what?” Ella asked.

“Chun knows and I’m sure he understands,” Selina said, “his heart isn’t something I want.”

Ella became silent. She didn’t know whether to be shocked, surprised, or glad.

“I guess we’re all stubborn people then,” Ella commented, “Chun, Jiro, and I. We can’t accept the truth for what it is.”

Selina stared at Ella blankly and half pondering about whether she should touch the food.

“Ella,” Selina said, “please don’t tell anyone where I am. I don’t want them to know because I want to be alone right now. You can help keep this place a secret right?”

Ella stared back at Selina and nodded.

After Ella had left Selina sat in her empty living room spacing out.

***

Ella walked into the small café to find Jiro sitting alone at the window.

“Are you drunk for calling me out this late?” asked Ella sitting down.

Jiro turned to look at her and smiled.

“I feel bored these days,” Jiro replied.

“You do don’t you?” Ella said.

“What was up with you yesterday? Were you dead or what?” Jiro said.

“Sleep made me drunk,” Ella told.

Jiro frowned.

“No I actually got my confession from Chun,” Ella said with a carefree smile Jiro hadn’t seen for quite some time.

“Are you two back together now?” asked Jiro hoping for a yes.

“He finally said it to my face and I’m glad he did,” Ella replied, “if he didn’t I would still be wishing for the past. We have to get over it sometime.”

“I’m glad for you then,” Jiro said.

“But Chun must still be having a hard time,” Ella told. “Their engagement isn’t going as planned?”

“What? Why?” Jiro asked his attention suddenly turned to Ella.

Ella smiled at his quick reaction.

“Selina left,” Ella replied.

A smile suddenly popped on Jiro’s face which made Ella laugh.

“You’re funny,” Ella commented, “anyway I should be off now. I have things to do tomorrow.”

With that Ella got up from her seat and walked out of the café leaving Jiro to sink into his thoughts. As Ella entered her apartment she smiled to herself for the first time in a long time. It was nice to be alone. Ella stared at the walls locking her within her apartment. At least she was somewhere safe even if she wasn’t with the person she loved. She finally felt better as if she was relieved from the pain that had been pushing her down for three straight years. She was finally able to freely breathe. Ella walked over to her large window and smiled out at the streets of Taipei. Now all she needed was to get her career soaring.

***

 Days passed by and whenever Jiro tried calling he couldn’t reach Selina. Busy with work and conferences Jiro couldn’t find much time for himself.

Selina on the other hand had decided to start working at the restaurant the old woman had offered. Life was finally beginning to brighten up for her. She felt less stress and became more happy with herself.

Chun continued with work and returning back to his empty home. He thought of Selina everyday but understood the fact that Selina didn’t want him to bother her at the moment. He waited for her to contact him, but there wasn’t a day when she did contact him. There were certain days where he rushed from home to work to ask his supervisor if anyone had called only to get the answer that he’d received calls from advertisers.

Ella had began to feel the bright side of the world and once more became content with herself. She didn’t want her happiness to die away and promised herself to work hard at keeping it. She didn’t want anymore depressing days where she only dreamt of flying away from everybody else.

***

Chun roamed the halls bored. He had tagged along with his mother who had come to visit Jiro’s father in the company. He wasn’t sure why he had agreed to come along, usually whenever his mother suggested a visit Chun would rather stay behind in the company than risk a chance of running into Jiro. However it was Chun still couldn’t accept the fact the reason why Selina had left. Even if she hadn’t made herself clear Chun had wondered many times and landed on the only answer, Jiro.

As Chun turned the hall Jiro walked right passed him. With two more steps the two of them stopped in their tracks and slowly turned around to look at each other. Chun stared at the silent welcoming that came from Jiro’s expression. Jiro smiled then turned around to continue on.

“Want to get some air?” Chun asked.

A few minutes later Jiro found himself following Chun along a bridge that rose over the lake. They overlooked the water silently standing next to one another. Many thoughts ran through Chun’s mind and he became unsure of whether he should share them with Jiro.

“You…have you heard from Selina?” Chun asked rubbing the palm of his hands together.

“I tried, but she isn’t answering my calls,” Jiro replied.

Jiro was sure of the fact that Selina had left Chun, but he had no clue that Selina wasn’t contacting any one of them.

“I heard Selina left,” Jiro said.

Chun didn’t reply.

“She wants to be alone right now,” Chun told. “If she hasn’t contacted you she won’t call me either.”

Jiro turned to look at Chun realizing that Selina had been ignoring them both.

“I think we changed from friends to being burdens to her,” Chun stated.

They remained silent for another moment.

“You once said that when Selina left the company her decisions would not have anything to do with either of us,” Jiro said, “do those words still count now?”

The wind whipped passed them in a flurry.

“Sure, why not,” Chun replied. “I still haven’t given up on my wait.”

“Should we make this fair then?” Jiro asked. “I still have some things I need to tell her.”

Chun turned to look at Jiro.

“I’ve realized Selina’s not Ella. However it is and whatever choice Selina makes we both have to accept it,” Jiro told. “We’ll still be friends.”

Jiro extended his hand out to Chun who seemed to stare at it for a long time debating on whether he should agree. Jiro felt surprised, yet happy when Chun slapped his hand against his.

“Deal.” Chun said and they smiled at one another.

It had been a long while since they had felt glad toward each other. On the way back Chun and Jiro jumped against each other as they joked around. Chun’s mother and father who had seen them from the doorway turned to each other with huge smiles plastered on their face. Once again life seemed carefree.

“It’s nice to see that look on your face again,” Chun’s mother said as they got into their car.

“What look?” Chun asked turning to look at his mother.

“The smile. You’ve been depressed for so long I thought I’ll never see you smile again,” his mother told. “I’m glad you and Jiro can get along again.”

***

“And where did you go? You’re not on something are you?” Jiro’s father asked as they walked back into the company together.

“You only wish I was,” Jiro said then thought of something, “dad I have to go! I’ll see you later!”

“But! Hey! We still have things to do!” his father shouted after him.

Before he could stop Jiro he’d already made his way toward his car. As Jiro got in he texted Ella. If Chun didn’t know the whereabouts of Selina and no one else did then Ella might. Jiro just needed to know because he felt like he couldn’t wait any longer. A week had almost gone by and he was dying of the wait. If Selina wanted to be alone she’d have to find some other time to do so.

A while later Ella came rushing through the restaurant looking everywhere for Jiro.

“Are you ok? Was the accident big? Are you hurt? Why didn’t you report to the hospital you dummy!” shouted Ella as she stared down at Jiro who was drinking some iced tea.

Jiro smiled up at her, “I’m alright see?”

Ella frowned at him and grabbed his shoulder and looked all over him.

“You jerk!” Ella shouted as she found out she’d been fooled.

“Well I needed some excuse getting you out,” Jiro told. “But it is urgent.”

Ella stared back at Jiro as she slumped down on her chair.

“What?” Ella asked coldly.

“You know where Selina is don’t you?” Jiro asked.

Ella stared back at Jiro for a long time then frowned.

“Why would you ask me?” Ella asked. “Go ask Chun. He should know.”

“Wait, come on,” Jiro said. “I know Selina hasn’t been contacting Chun.”

Ella raised her eyebrow.

“You two aren’t mad at each other anymore?” asked Ella.

“Please Ella. I need to know. There are stuff I need to clear off,” Jiro persuaded, “I know Selina wants to be alone, but I can’t wait anymore. “

Ella stared back at Jiro.

“I don’t know why you’re asking me,” Ella told refusing. “I told you I don’t know anything.”

“You’re lying.”

“No I am not.”

“You’re lying.”

“No.”

“Lying.”

Ella stared back at Jiro.

“You’re still lying,” Jiro said.

Ella felt like screaming.

“Why do you have to bother me at such an unnecessary time!” Ella shouted. “I’m going to kill you if you ask me one more time.”

Jiro smiled, “I’m ready.”

Ella puffed out her cheeks as she revealed Selina’s new home.

By the time Jiro had arrived in Selina’s neighborhood the sky was beginning to darken.

***

Ella moaned and sighed to herself as she made her way down the street to her car.

“Oh my…I can’t believe I just gave it away. You’ve to forgive me Selina,” Ella said looking up to the sky. “It’s not my fault really.”

Just then her phone started to ring.

Ella frowned as she picked up.

“I have a favor to ask,” it was Chun.

A minute later Ella found herself walking into a small café. Chun smiled at her as she walked over to him. His smile almost made her sad again, but Ella ignored the feeling. Reality was reality. They were friends now and it was better than passing each other on the street and pretending they didn’t know each other.

“I was just wondering,” Chun began, “if you might know where Selina is.”

Ella found herself frowning.

“Why is everyone asking me today?” Ella asked rubbing her face. “Jiro didn’t tell you did he?”

“Jiro?” Chun repeated.

Ella slapped her face again.

“You know don’t you?” Chun asked sounding as if he were accusing her of some matter.

Ella stared back at Chun.

“Can you take me to her?”