Twentysecond

Single Portrait

Selina sat quietly sat on a bench as Jiro went to buy some croissants. Her cell phone rang. Seeing that it was Chun calling Selina ignored it sticking it back into her purse and just as she did so Jiro hurried over handing a croissant to her.

“Thanks,” Selina said and took a bite out of it to warm herself.

Jiro took off his jacket and put it around Selina.

“Next time don’t wear a dress,” Jiro told, “though it’s pretty, but it’s getting colder.”

Selina nodded as she tried her best to concentrate her feelings on the warm croissant. Maybe what she wanted was time not someone to be with. However she wasn’t so sure about that. A part of her kept insisting that she stick with Chun, but the other part of her just wanted to be alone. She thought she liked Jiro, but maybe her imagination was only playing games with her. Now it felt as if they were really only friends.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun paced back and forth feeling worried to death. Why wasn’t Selina picking up? She was supposed to call him after work. What if something happened? As he rushed down the stairs the door opened and Selina walked in looking lost.

“Selina! Where were you?” Chun questioned.

Selina gave him a slight glare and pushed pass him.

“Selina!” Chun said spinning her around.

Selina didn’t pull away, but kept her eyes glued to the ground.

“Lets talk upstairs,” Chun suggested then led her up the stairs to his office where he closed the door.

Chun turned around to face Selina.

“What happened?” Chun questioned wiping the wet spots under her eyes which hadn’t yet dried.

“You…I saw you and Ella,” Selina told.

Chun looked at her surprised, “Is that why you cried?”

Selina turned away feeling quite embarrassed, yet also wondered why she was being so nice.

“I…miss my grandpa,” Selina told which was half the truth. “You won’t leave me alone will you?”

Chun smiled, “Silly girl. Why would I? Ella only came to talk because some bad things happened.”

Selina smiled a little bit which made Chun smile become even bigger.

“Do…do you like me?” Chun questioned.

There it was again. Selina’s mind went blank, but her heart beat fast. Should she take that as a yes? Selina smiled and nodded her head.

“I like you too,” Chun told.

They smiled at each other in silence and Chun reached his hand down to touch her cheek. Hesitantly he moved forward and hesitated a bit more. Selina couldn’t help, but want to laugh however her laugh just turned into a big smile as their lips slowly touched. Her body went warm and Chun felt as if an electric current had gone through his body. He ran his lips across hers and felt Selina put her arms around him. Selina finally felt relaxed feeling as if the whole world contained only them. On the other hand she felt her phone vibrating inside her purse yet ignored it. She couldn’t miss this moment with Chun. They stopped for a moment and Chun placed a peck on her cheek. Selina tilted her head up as they returned to their passionate kiss. Chun’s feet led him over to the couch in the room and soon enough they were sitting on it with Chun leaning over her. Before they were given the chance to go deeper there was a knock on the door and Mrs. Wu opened the door. Selina and Chun turned to look at her. Their eyes met and froze. Selina quickly turned away hiding her face into Chun’s chest. Mrs. Wu smiled gladly amused.

“Buck up Chun!” she said. “Return to what you were doing. Sorry for the interruption.”

As the door closed Chun and Selina turned to look at each other laughing.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro put down his phone and sighed. Selina wasn’t picking up his call. He wondered what she could be doing now. Would she be having an argument with Chun? No, that was impossible. He was feeling restless and he hated the feeling. He put his phone on the bedside table and stared up at the ceiling. All he could really picture was Selina’s pained face.

Jiro hurried of to work unusually early in the morning. He greeted everyone cheerily and stood around walking back and forth waiting for Selina to arrive. When she finally did the first thing he noticed was the big smile plastered onto her face.

“Selina! Morning!” Jiro called before Selina would walk pass.

“Morning,” Selina said and walked to her desk.

Jiro didn’t know why he felt a little disappointed. What had he expected from her? Did she forget about yesterday night’s kiss? After watching her take a seat at her desk Jiro turned around and forced himself into his office.

At lunch Jiro rushed down the staircase and before getting in line to get his food he searched the entire cafeteria for Selina. A small smile creased on his lips as he saw her sitting by the window on the phone.

Selina turned to look at Jiro as he took a seat by her.

“I’ll talk to you later,” Selina told with a smile and hung up.

“Who were you talking to?” Jiro questioned.

Selina set her phone down on the table, “With Chun.”

Jiro felt his heart slow down.

“What were you two talking about?” asked Jiro trying not to let his disappointment of hearing his name show.

“Well…just about where to go for dinner tonight,” Selina told.

“Did something big happen? You’re smiling a lot.” Jiro stated.

Selina couldn’t help, but smile again.

“Well Chun and I…we’re official now,” Selina said shyly.

Jiro’s face became agitated, but cleared his throat and drank some of his water first.

“I didn’t expect that,” Jiro said truthfully then congratulated her.

He felt a bit of jealousy as Selina turned and smiled once more. What was up with him? Why was he thinking he was the one who deserved everything? He felt a little angry at himself, but those feelings quickly dissolved as he thought of Ella. How would Ella take it? Jiro shook his head once more. He’d already told her Selina and he was dating…he would have to turn the situation around somehow…but how would he do it to his friend and Selina? He felt so messed up.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina and Chun sat at their isolated table as the waiter waited to take their orders. Selina searched through the menu wondering what would taste good. She’d never been to such a place before. The only fancy restaurant she’d ever stepped in was the one Jiro had taken her to.

“How about a plate of pasta,” Chun told.

The waiter took the menu from Chun.

“What about you?” questioned Chun.

Selina nibbled her bottom lip, “Pasta for me too.”

Selina handed the waiter her menu and watched as he left with the kitchen doors flapping behind him.

“I didn’t know what to choose,” Selina admitted.

Chun smiled, “Everything here tastes good.”

“We won’t eat here every night will we?” Selina questioned.

Chun laughed, “Of course not.”

Selina leaned back, “How about we invite Jiro next time? He seems tired lately maybe he needs more food.”

“Jiro?” Chun repeated.

“He seems a little lonely doesn’t he?” asked Selina

“I guess,” Chun told taking a sip of his wine as if telling Selina non-verbally that he didn’t want to go on talking about Jiro.

However it seemed as if Selina didn’t get it, “He’s done a lot of wrong things hasn’t he? He just does things without even thinking or considering other people’s feelings first. He’s foolish don’t you think?”

Chun nodded his head in agreement silently.

“What’s wrong?” asked Selina.

“You do understand I like you a lot. I really, really like you,” Chun told.

Selina nodded with a smile, “I know.”

Chun reached his hand over and grabbed a hold of hers, “Lets not pay any attention to anything else tonight ok?”

“Ok,” Selina agreed.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat behind his desk trying to concentrate on the papers he was working on, yet nothing seemed to be transmitting through his eyes to his brain. Thoughts of Selina kept flying back. When she had shyly told him she and Chun were dating that sting of pain he’d felt was still throbbing lightly. She and Chun would be eating dinner right this moment while he hadn’t eaten anything. Jiro shook his head away from the thoughts and tried once more to read.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina glanced at her watch as Chun picked up his ringing phone. A minute later Chun hung up with a heavy sigh.

“I have to go back to the company. Do you want me to drop you off at home?” asked Chun.

Another idea popped up at the back of her mind as she decided, “I’ll walk. I think I want some fresh air.”

Chun nodded, “When you get back home call me.”

Selina nodded and watched as Chun entered his car. After Chun drove off around the bend Selina hurried down the steps and down the sidewalk. Passing a small food stand she purchased some food and hurried toward the company.

Selina hurried down the hallway as quietly as she could. Down the hall she could still see that the lights were on. Slowing down to a walk she stopped by Jiro’s half closed door and she knocked. Without waiting for his reply she pushed the door open.

A smile crept onto her face, “Hey.”

Jiro looked up surprised.

“What are you doing here?” asked Jiro.

“I knew you’d still be here.” Selina told as she walked in then set the food on the table. “Something was nagging at me so I came here.”

Jiro glanced at the food, “You brought food?”

“You didn’t eat yet, did you?” Selina asked.

Jiro smiled, “What’d you get?”

A minute later Selina nibbled on a bun as Jiro gobbled up the food she’d gotten for him. They didn’t talk at all. That was the first thing Jiro realized. Usually Selina’s mouth would always be moving non-stop, but tonight she hadn’t said a word. He felt happy and a little touched that she’d brought him food. He felt glad and cheerful just being able to sit next to her and eat comfortably. He turned to look at her and Selina returned his glance with a smile.

“Do you need help?” Selina asked looking at the stacks of binders on his desk. “You can’t finish them all tonight.”

“You want to help?” Jiro questioned wiping his lips.

“What do I do?” Selina asked.

Jiro thought for a moment, “Read the papers and tell me what they’re about…in a short summary.”

Selina got up from her seat and walked over to his desk flipping through a few binders.

“Whoa! So much,” Selina exclaimed.

Jiro smiled at her and Selina saw how tired he was. She felt sorry. Slowly she opened the binder and skimmed through the papers.

“It’s about some transactions,” Selina told returning to Jiro after a few minutes.

“What about the next?” Jiro questioned.

For almost the rest of the night Selina spent hours reading and telling Jiro her summaries of them. By dawn Selina was sitting on the chair with bags under her eyes. Jiro sat at the desk going through each binder and signing his signature. Selina began to doze off when her cell phone started to ring.

“Hello?” it was Chun.

“Where are you?” Chun asked with worry in his voice.

Selina sat up in her chair and glanced at Jiro. She got up and walked out of the room so Jiro wouldn’t have to hear what she was going to say.

“I fell asleep in the subway,” Selina lied.

Jiro looked up from his desk and toward the door. He felt disappointed that he hadn’t actually told Chun she was with him, but at the same time he understood the reason to it.

“I’m on my way,” Selina told then hung up.

Jiro returned to his binders quickly as Selina headed back in. He was sure she didn’t want to know he’d eavesdropped.

“I’m gonna go now,” Selina told. “I’ll see you later.”

“Thanks for staying…” Jiro thanked and before Selina headed out he added, “if you’re tired you can come a little later.”

Selina smiled and headed out.