Fortythird

Single Portrait

The funeral was held the next two days. It was sunny and pollen were flying through the sweet air. As the coffin was lowered to the ground Selina let out her loud cries. Ella and Chun stood on either side of her tears wet in their eyes. Chun’s mother had attended the funeral in a wheel chair. A few other guests Selina didn’t know had come. Jiro and his father stood on the other side. Jiro’s head was down the whole time, but it was clear to Selina that he had been crying all day. When the ground was filled up Mr. Wang made his way over to Selina.

“I’m very sorry,” he apologized, “your mother did come look for you, but there were no trace of you. She only left with a picture.”

Mr. Wang handed Selina the portrait her mother had taken from their home. Selina put her hand over as not to sob in front of Jiro’s father. She nodded her head and watched as he walked away. She turned to watch Jiro from afar and turned away as their eyes met.

“I’m sorry Selina,” Chun’s mother said, “you only had her for such a short time.”

Selina couldn’t smile and she couldn’t thank Chun’s mother. She let out a loud cry as she clutched onto the portrait she had received. Ella turned to look at Selina and gave her a hug which Selina found herself sinking into.

Selina felt weak when she returned back to her apartment. She thanked Chun and watched him go. As she made her way through the rooms she sat on the ground. Why had it turned out like that? Selina had no clue. Maybe it was God’s choice to return her mother to her like that. Selina was clear on the fact that it wasn’t Jiro’s fault, but it hurt to know the truth that he’d taken her mother’s love away from her. He had received the warmth and the hugs of a mother. Selina had yearned for the love from her mother the most. In her life the only thing she ever wanted was a hug from her mother which she’d never received.

That night before Selina made plans to go to bed her phone rang. Selina was unsure about whether she should take Jiro’s call or not. Huddling in the corner on the cold ground Selina answered her phone.

“There was a song your mother used to sing for me,” Jiro said from the other line.

His voice was dry.

“I’m sure your mother must have sung it for you more than once,” Jiro said, “when I slept over at a friend’s I was afraid I wouldn’t hear her sing anymore so I recorded her song.”

Selina felt tears slip from her eyes as she heard the song her mother used to sing to her as she tucked her in bed. Selina was sure she could hear Jiro’s voice choking in sobs in the background. The pain he was feeling…and the pain she was feeling…was it the same? Her mother had belonged to them both. The only difference was Jiro had two mothers.

When the song finished Selina started with her shaky voice, “I need to go away…I want to be alone…it might be a long time, but will you wait for me?”

She could hear Jiro crying and with that she hung up.

***

2 yeas passed by. Not just one life, but all their lives changed. From the same routine everyday to variations in their schedules. Chun and his mother ran the business successfully together. Ella became well known for her designs. Jiro and his father became famous through their business.

***

With sunglasses on and a white collar shirt with tan pants and black shoes Chun wheeled a suitcase after him. He had been invited for a tour of Italy and a free stay at a cabin. As he left the airport he found a taxi waiting for him. He felt excited as he felt the breeze whip against his face through the open window. What did Selina have in store for him after 2 whole years?

After the ride Chun stepped out of the taxi with his suitcase and found himself staring up the many thousand stone steps that led up to the hill. Taking a sigh he started up the steps and after what seemed like many thousand minutes he finally reached the top of the hill. In front of him stood a large built cabin. Beyond the cabin stood the city where Seina had stayed. He looked around then walked toward the front door. Wondering if anyone was home Chun knocked on the door.

“Anyone there?” Chun asked loudly. “Hello?”

“The owner’s not home yet,” Selina said from behind.

Chun spun around holding his hand to his chest.

“You scared me,” he said with a joking smile.

Selina smiled and hurried over jumping into his hug.

“I missed you,” he said. “It’s good to see you again.”

“Me too,” Selina replied.

“You two better not do that in front of me,” Ella said from behind.

They both turned to see Ella dressed neatly in her usual casual attire. Selina smiled and hurried over to her friend giving her a tight hug. As night came Selina brought out meat and sweet potatoes to cook outside.

“I’ll be right back,” Selina said hurrying back into the cabin.

Ella and Chun turned to look at each other.

“Did she invite Jiro?” Chun asked.

“I thought you were supposed to,” Ella told.

“I didn’t know…then Jiro isn’t coming?” Chun asked.

Ella quickly turned as Selina stepped back outside with a bottle of wine in her hand.

“We should enjoy ourselves tonight,” Selina told with a smile that didn’t show the sadness they last saw her with.

“Selina…” Ella began.

Selina turned around then turned back, “Seems I forgot something again.”

Selina hurried inside the house and headed toward the front door. She was anticipating him. How much had they both changed? Would he look different? Selina opened the door to see a panting figure standing by the stair steps. A large suitcase stood beside him.

“Those stairs…can kill somebody someday,” he said.

Selina smiled as she saw him.

“You’re late,” Selina said. “Did you wait long?”

Jiro smiled from within the shadows. Selina slowly made her way over to him and pulled him down by the collar of his shirt.

“I forgot,” Jiro said looking down at her, “there was something I never said. I love you.”

He moved closer to give her a kiss on the lips.

Selina smiled as she gazed back at the eyes she hadn’t seen for along time, “I feel better now and I also want to say I love you too.”

With that Selina pulled him toward her and gave him a long kiss that would mean eternity for them. She would be happy and Jiro would be happy. Their parents would be content and her mother would always be watching her…because she would live on in their hearts.