Third

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Hey good looking!” Jiro shouted as he walked toward Chun’s table.

They were meeting at their usual spot in the café where they had lunch together on Wednesdays. Chun first glanced at his watch then up to Jiro.

“Took you 45 minutes just to make it here?” Chun asked. “Did you sleep in or something again?”

Jiro took a seat and stretched.

“Nah…my dad forced me to stay behind,” Jiro told.

“Then lets order,” Chun suggested.

After they ordered and were halfway through their meals Jiro finally remembered what he wanted to say.

“My father hired some new people to work under my department,” Jiro began, “I’m short on trainers tomorrow so I was wondering if you’d come and help out.”

“Is this what you use your friend for?” Chun asked concentrating on his sandwich.

“Family Chun, family.” Jiro corrected since they were cousins after all. “It’s just for one day then maybe we can also eat lunch tomorrow. How about that? Don’t you miss your old buddy? We should hang out more nowadays like friends do.”

“Maybe you’ve just been lazy in finding trainers,” Chun said.

“Oh come on!” Jiro moaned. “Old Liz won’t do it and you know how short tempered the other guys are with newbies.”

“Let me have the other half of your pizza then I’ll be good,” Chun told.

“All right!” Jiro shouted in triumph. “I’ve been meaning to lose weight too. I think I’m getting fat.”

“Only girls worry about that,” Chun pointed out slapping Jiro’s stomach.

Jiro gasped then reached forward and tickled Chun who quickly pushed him off.

“We’ve been girls since we were little,” Jiro commented with a smile.

Chun made a disgusted face then took a bite out of his pizza.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina was gladly thrilled after receiving a call from the company. At last she was accepted. She knew this day would come! That same evening and night Selina hurried off to the store to announce to everyone that she would be gladly quitting. That evening Selina also hurried home and gathered her most professional looking outfits. Lying them out on the bed to look at Selina nodded satisfied.

“When I get my first paycheck I’ll buy something for grandpa,” Selina said, “then I’ll go and buy some more clothes!”

Selina took her grandpa’s old car and headed for that business building the next day. She stopped in front of the elevator with a happy smile. Finally what she’d dreamt of…being able to ride the elevator up everyday and sitting at her office desk. Just imagining herself walking around in business attire made her feel so happy. Selina met up with some of the newbies upstairs and they chatted for a bit. They were all crowded around in a circle until the boss stepped out of his office. They were first ordered to get their name tags then directed into small groups.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun rushed down the hallway and pushed open the glass doors looking for Jiro inside. He found Jiro standing by his office door flipping through some binders looking as if he was already zoned out.

“Looks like you already have everyone grouped out,” Chun said standing by him.

Jiro looked up at him then at the people standing around.

“Uh…yes…” Jiro replied, “looks like I don’t need your help after all.”

“Then I guess I’ll leave,” Chun told.

“Wait!” Jiro said before Chun could even take a step forward. “I never said you could leave. Lets have lunch.”

As soon as Jiro and Chun left for lunch the trainees were also allowed to go eat. Though Jiro and Chun had left first the trainees had somehow reached the cafeteria first.

“Wow is it packed,” Chun commented upon looking at the large dining room with counters and counters of food with servers standing behind them.

“We’re quite popular,” Jiro joked. “Bunch of new people…the line’s going to get longer.”

Chun glanced around for a bit his eyebrows shot up as he recognized someone.

"Is she a newbie too?” Chun asked nodding toward the woman glancing out the window.

Jiro looked around everywhere as he followed Chun’s gaze.

“Who?” Jiro said.

“Her,” Chun pointed toward the table by the window.

“Yea…I guess so,” Jiro told. “You know her?”

Chun smiled, “Not quite…”

Jiro watched as Chun walked forward and into the line.

“Hey wait! We’re supposed to get lunch together! Chun!” Jiro shouted after him.

When Chun had filled his tray Jiro followed him toward the girl at the table by the window.

“Hi honey!” Chun said loudly as he set his tray down.

The girl quickly looked up and immediately frowned at Chun.

“Do…I know…” Selina began.

“The oranges the other night tasted really good right?” Chun asked. “I loved them!”

Selina’s face went blank as she recalled that stranger she’d grabbed the other night. Her jaw dropped and she was quickly filled with embarrassment. She could literally feel her face become red hot.

“What’s that? You really know her?” Jiro asked taking a seat next to Chun.

Chun smiled, “Honey this is my friend and your boss, Jiro.”

“Hi,” Jiro said as he looked at her.

Selina wanted to sink into the ground and disappear. What was this guy doing? Didn’t he understand that it was just a joke from what she did the other night? She wanted to yell at him, but all she could do to save herself was laugh.

Selina rushed out of the building after work. Feeling the cool wind whip her face felt nice as she ran toward her car.

“How embarrassing!” Selina exclaimed as she got into her car. “How could he do that to me?! I don’t even know him? What ‘Honey?’!”

Selina covered her face and stared at the car in front o fher.

“How humiliating…and the boss was there…” Selina moaned.

She had actually found her own boss cute. Well at least he would be put in the cute category for her. Selina threw her head back and started the engine calming down.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“You’ve started dating again?” asked Chun’s mother as he walked into the kitchen where the table was set with dishes and dishes of food.

It was evening now about time to have dinner.

“What are you talking about?” Chun asked as he took a seat grabbing his eating utensils.

“Were you aware the president was also in the cafeteria during lunch break today?” asked Mrs. Wu.

Chun raised an eyebrow as he anxiously scooped up some food with his spoon, “So? Everyone goes to the cafeteria.”

“You called someone honey?” Mrs. Wu asked.

The word ‘Honey’ sent the food in Chun’s mouth quickly down his throat making him cough loudly. He pounded on his chest and gurgled down his cup of water.

“Mom!” he scolded.

“What?” Mrs. Wu questioned. “Don’t worry I won’t judge her. I’ve always been nice to your girlfriends.”

“Are you crazy? Why are you talking about this?” asked Chun.

“So tell me about her,” Mrs. Wu insistently ordered leaning forward as if straining to hear a secret Chun would tell.

“She’s nobody,” Chun told. “It’s just a joke.”

“Dating is not a joke,” Mrs. Wu told leaning back into her chair, “what if you get her pregnant?”

“Mom!” Chun shouted.

Mrs. Wu laughed, “I was just kidding about that part, of course you’ve never done that.”

“Mom!” Chun shouted again jumping in his chair.

“So are you going to start speaking? Or should I go over there and visit her tomorrow?” asked Mrs. Wu.

Chun’s eyes went wide, “You’re not taking this seriously are you? She’s not my girlfriend, I don’t have a girlfriend. I’m pure and straight!”

“Well that settles it. She’s working under Jiro am I correct?” Mrs. Wu asked. “I’m planning to pay the president a visit tomorrow anyway.”