Eighteenth

Single Portrait

Ella looked at him with a bewildered surprised expression making Jiro laugh a little then he cleared his throat.

“He was angry that I invited you along…because I didn’t tell him beforehand that you were going to be there,” Jiro lied. “Also…Selina and I have just started going out…we haven’t gone on any dates yet…maybe that’s why she seemed surprised…but I really like her.”

Ella felt a little surprised that Jiro would like a girl like her, and that he was so straightforward, but on the other hand it was also a relief. She thought it over for a bit and bought his lies. They seemed to go along with what had happened…in a way.

“Have you seen Chun?” Ella asked.

“Chun and I talked a little,” Jiro replied. “Selina’s grandpa just passed away so she’s staying with Chun.”

Ella had a questioning look on her face that showed a mixture of feelings. Jiro was speaking a lot even though she hadn’t asked anything much. Did she sense him panicking or was she just imagining it?  

“Why?” was all she managed.

Jiro stuttered over his words at first then paused.

“Well it’s impossible for her to be able to stay at my house…I mean think of my dad what’ll he think right?” Jiro said unsure if what he said sounded right or convincing.

“Yea that’s right,” Ella agreed. “What about Chun’s mother? What’ll she think?”

“Uh…well Chun will definitely explain to her that…she’s just a friend,” Jiro said hoping Ella would stop.

He, also at the same time, wondered if Ella was questioning him on purpose to see if he would spill out the truth. Luckily Ella grabbed her fork and knife and started to cut up her steak quietly. Jiro also wondered why he had pulled himself into this stupid game. Now he would have to play boyfriend to Selina. He felt like whacking himself on the head.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina felt hungered after all her crying and her head throbbed from too much sleep. As she followed Chun down the stairs she kept a grip on the sleeve of his shirt. It was strange to her, but she felt that if she let someone distance themselves from her she’d lose them. Probably it was just because her mind was still in a shock that her grandpa had gone so soon. Selina agreed with herself she was just afraid of losing someone else. Even though she didn’t know Chun well he was there to comfort her…maybe that was all she needed. Him to comfort her.

Selina met his mother’s gaze as she sat down. Mrs. Wu smiled warmly and invited her to take a seat next to her. Selina did as told and couldn’t help, but feel as if she was put in an awkward position on purpose. Mrs. Wu chatted a little with her and put some rice and other appetizers onto her plate for her. Chun watched quietly as he ate.

“Eat this so you’ll become stronger,” Mrs. Wu told. “You should just rest these couple of days and go back to work when you’re really reenergized.”

Selina nodded thankful for her support, but couldn’t bring herself to say anything such as thank you.

“Have you decided what to do?” Mrs. Wu questioned.

Selina stopped after mixing her food up. To do after what? Now that she was alone? She knew Mrs. Wu wasn’t looking down on her or anything. Selina pressed her lips together and looked up trying to look confident.

“I can stay by myself,” Selina told.

“Why don’t you stay here with us?” Mrs. Wu asked.

Selina’s sad face became grave with surprise, shock, and disbelief. She also looked as if she had been offended.

“I don’t mean anything bad,” Mrs. Wu reassured, “since you’re Chun’s girlfriend it doesn’t sound right to just leave you out there by yourself. It isn’t safe for girls to stay by themselves nowadays.”

Selina let her words sink into her. She was also desperate to be around people instead of being surrounded by silence. She wanted company and someone to talk to. She felt like crying again, but strained herself.

“Can I?” Selina questioned.

Chun felt surprised that Selina had actually agreed without going further into the conversation. He’d expected her to reject their offer.

Mrs. Wu turned to look at Chun with a happy smile of victory then turned back to Selina.

“That’s great!” Mrs. Wu said clapping her hands together. “I’m so happy you agreed! This is going to be such a fun environment from now on!”

Selina smiled weakly and turned to look down at the table cloth.  

After dinner Chun walked Selina up the stairs quietly with his hands stuck in his pockets. He glanced at her every few steps he took. Selina kept her eyes glued toward the texture of the stairs as if she was studying them real hard. They stopped at the top and Selina turned to Chun.

“Then I’ll go tomorrow to go get my things,” Selina told.

Chun nodded.

“Then…good night,” Selina said.

Chun nodded again, “Good night.”

Selina turned around pausing then turned back to see Chun’s back to her as he began to walk away.

“Wait,” Selina called.

Chun stopped in his tracks and turned around. Selina looked at him urging herself to move forward. She knew she wanted a hug. It didn’t matter if it was him giving her one or her giving him one. She just wanted to be assured and didn’t bother to ask herself why.

After a few seconds Selina put her arms around Chun as if in slow motion. Chun felt surprised by her hug.

“You won’t ever leave me alone will you?” Selina asked. When Chun didn’t reply she went on, “I feel so scared. I feel so lonely…so don’t leave me behind. I have no one else now.”

Chun sort of understood her. He just figured that the mental state she was in now made her like that, yet he didn’t know she was building an illusion for herself. An illusion that she had feelings for him because truthfully she was just confused.

“Ok,” Chun said patting her back. “I won’t.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina walked up the stairs with her wobbly legs clutching onto the railings afraid that if she let go she’d go tumbling down. Chun kept an eye on her back to make sure Selina wouldn’t do anything silly. The hallway seemed narrower and emptier. Selina stopped at the top of the stairs and took a long breath urging herself not to cry. Stopping at the door Selina searched through her purse and with her shaking hand she pushed the key into the doorknob. She struggled a bit before finally opening the door. As it flung open Selina found herself frozen on the spot. She couldn’t bring herself to move forward. It was so quiet, so empty inside. She heard Chun begin to move behind her and slightly turned to see him start to put his hand on her shoulder to comfort her. Before he could Selina started forward and walked quickly pass the living room and toward her bedroom.

Pushing away all thoughts she stuffed her clothes messily into a suitcase she found in the closet. As the suitcase overflowed Selina struggled to buckle it shut. Seeing that Selina was having problems Chun walked over and put a hand on her shoulder. Selina turned to look at him letting Chun take a chance to close the suitcase successfully. Selina looked away with her feelings overflowing on her face. As Chun was about to start talking Selina turned and headed out stopping outside of her grandpa’s room. She wanted to turn to Chun and tell him she just wanted to stay a little longer and look at the place before she’d really leave it behind, but she didn’t. Everything remained with silence.

Memories of her tucking her grandfather in bed and turning the lights off then saying good night…it hurt to realize that it would never happen again. Selina let out a little cry and stepped forward looking into the living room where the old TV sat. She would never be able to cook for him again in her life. She’d never get to see him watching his favorite TV series which he wasn’t able to complete. Tears purged out of her eyes and she put a hand around trying not to cry loudly. She would miss the place where she’d grown up, the place where most of her childhood memories took place. The place where her grandparents had brought her to. The two most important people to her were now gone. Her words of thank you she couldn’t even say to them anymore.

Chun rubbed her arm bringing her back to reality. It would just be an empty room from now on.

“Everyone’s gone Chun…” Selina said through her muffled sobs.

Selina turned around and put her head against his shoulder.