Twentyeighth

Single Portrait

Selina moaned to herself. Lying flat on her stomach in her room on her bed Selina stared out of the closed window. She was imagining seeing the moon through the blinds. What was she going to do? She’d never planned on quitting her job at all. Selina bit her lip recalling Chun’s only given options to her. How could she let him talk to Jiro? Even if Chun was taking it the wrong way…Chun talking to Jiro would only end up in an argument. Selina dropped her head into her pillow going over her decision once more.

The next morning at work Selina did not find a chance to find Jiro at all. For once she was piled up with work. She’d thought of staying after in hopes of seeing him, but Chun had insisted on going out for dinner. The next morning Selina tried chasing Jiro down, but his secretary had stopped her asking her to return to work. It hadn’t occurred to her that he would try to ignore het, she’d only thought of the possibility that Jiro was very busy. Returning to her desk Selina questioned herself what was it exactly that she was doing? By the end of the day a strange idea popped into her head.

Pressing her lips together Selina walked toward Jiro’s secretary’s desk.

“You again?” he asked.

“Could you please put this on Jiro’s desk for me?” asked Selina.

“His desk? Do you have a crush on him or something? Miss this is not high school…” he began.

“We’re friends!” Selina suddenly shouted.

Looking at Selina the secretary gave in and grabbed the post it note from her, “Ok…now if you may.”

Selina smiled and walked off satisfied.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Chun sat in his car waiting for Selina wondering if he was doing the right thing. It felt like he was…but why wasn’t Selina smiling now? Thinking more about it he also didn’t want to allow her to work with Jiro. Was he mean in forcing her to quit? Was he pushing her? Something about it didn’t make him feel right, yet he disliked it when Selina smiled at Jiro. Before proceeding on with his thoughts the passenger door opened and Selina got in.

“Are we eating out or at your house?” Selina asked.

Chun always paid attention to it for some reason. That Selina never called his house her house.

*_*_*_*_*_*

The next morning when Jiro arrived at work the first thing he noticed was a post it note stuck on the top of his desk. Jiro felt curious about the strange request, but glad that the note was from Selina. Being busy with re-launching the project and the thoughts of Chun misunderstanding him and Selina he had been working on avoiding her during the past few days. Jiro took a deep breath and grabbed a blank note.

*_*_*_*_*_*

When Selina got to work the first thing she found on her desk was a note from Jiro. Written in the middle was Ella’s phone number. Though she wasn’t sure what she was going to use it for yet she knew it would come in handy sometime soon.

During lunch Chun had called to tell her he’d be late to pick her up. Glad with that fact Selina stuck around a little after work in hopes of getting a glimpse at Jiro, but it seemed like he was succeeding in ignoring her. Selina felt a bit disappointed, but knew it couldn’t be helped. She smiled silently to herself trying her best to accept the fact that she probably would have to quit by the end of the week. What was she going to tell Jiro anyway? That Chun was forcing her to quit and ask Jiro for help? Besides wasn’t it kind enough of Chun to give her a week’s time?  

By the end of the day Selina sat in her room with the shades drawn, her shadow looming out before her. Selina played with her cell phone a bit before opening it up. What was it she was going to do? Even though her mind was at a blank something inside her felt like she was doing the right thing. That there was still hope she’d be able to stay in Jiro’s company. Was she being foolish? It wasn’t the last day yet…it wasn’t the end of everything yet…what was she going to tell him?

Going to her contacts list Selina stared at Jiro’s name. If Jiro didn’t pick up she’d resign tomorrow, but if he did then she’d try her best to get Chun to let her stay there. Nodding to herself with a gulp Selina pressed the talk button.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Jiro rubbed his forehead from the headache that was suddenly growing. His cell phone suddenly began to rang and he leaned forward curious to who was calling. When he saw Selina’s name he wasn’t sure whether to pick up or leave it.

*_*_*_*_*_*

“Please leave a message after the tone…” the voicemail box went on.

Selina slowly removed the phone from her ear and let it fall to the carpet. Was she an idiot to be calling him in the first place? Hadn’t Jiro been extremely busy at the beginning of the week? Why would she call in him when she wasn’t sure he’d pick up?

Selina stared at the ground recalling current memories. She recalled the first time she’d run into Chun.

-Flashback-

“I’m not. I do have a boyfriend,” Selina kept on with her lie hoping anyway that it sounded real then she came to a quick pause.

“Who else is better than me? I’ve got loads of money, cars, a nice house….” the old man trailed off, but Selina wasn’t listening anymore.

Before her was a man walking alone. He seemed just like the kind of guy who would be her boyfriend. Though she knew what she was going to do would be embarrassing, but at least it’d get this old geezer off her back.

“Honey! Wait honey!” Selina shouted rushing forward.

She jumped at him and grabbed his arm. As she looked at him she realized that he was bigger than she’d thought. From faraway his built body seemed smaller. He looked down at her with a confused expression.

“How could you?” the old man asked walking up to Selina. “He’s not your boyfriend!”

Selina bit her bottom lip again, “Honey! I told you to wait outside for me, why did you hurry off like that?”

The man seemed confused. Selina quickly turned to the old geezer before the stranger could say anything.

“Don’t you think we match? I’ll send you a wedding invitation,” Selina said with a cheery smile.

The old man stared at her then moved his eyes over to the stranger. Narrowing his eyes the old man turned around. Watching his car until he disappeared around the corner Selina finally let go of the man’s arm and sighed a sigh of relief. She looked up at the man feeling her face become hot. He was really good looking. Selina laughed nervously and quickly rushed off leaving him to stare after her.

-End of Flashback-

How funny that a lie could get her into that mess. Who knew she’d run into him again? Who knew that everything that had happened would happen? Had Chun fallen too deep into the illusion? Was he able to pull himself out like how she had?

“After all I did get myself into this,” Selina told herself, “I started all this with a lie.”

*_*_*_*_*_*

Chun looked up from his cup of coffee as Selina loudly made her way down. He first noticed that she wasn’t smiling.

“I’ll quit,” Selina told, “today will be my last day.”

Chun stared back at Selina as if she was asking him permission to quit. They were silent before Selina turned to walk away.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Selina enjoyed the little ride to her last day of work.

Before getting out of the car she turned to Chun, “Don’t pick me up today. You can do that right?”

Chun seemed to think to himself then nodded, “Ok.”

As Chun’s car disappeared Selina turned around to stare at the building she’d been working for the past few months. Biting her lip and taking a last she entered the building. Quick memories brushed passed her as she headed toward the elevator. She couldn’t help, but remember that Jiro had told her he’d rather take the staircase than the elevator. Selina found herself heading up the stairs slowly passing the steps where she had received her first kiss. Was she going to be sad? Why?

Selina opened Jiro’s father’s office. Finding that no one was there Selina decided just to leave her resignation letter on the desk. Before Selina left the office she glanced around the room slowly noticing that a picture of Mr. Wang and a little boy sitting on his lap sat on his desk. Where was his mother? Wasn’t there a picture? Deciding not to be nosy Selina walked out closing the door after her.

Making her way down the hallway Selina pressed her lips together as she walked into her department office.

“Good morning guys,” Selina greeted.

“Hi Selina!” a few people shouted.

Without saying anything she went to her desk to collect a few personal items. Before putting her pen holder into her box Selina turned with one last glance at Jiro’s door.

“Selina are you going somewhere?” asked the girl sitting next to her.

Selina smiled, “Just a little vacation.”

“Vacation? You’re so lucky, I’ve been working three years and I’ve only gotten three moths of vacation, yet you’re new and you already get one. I’m jealous,” the girl said with a playful smile.

“I’ll see you soon,” Selina said and walked off.

Actually she hadn’t wanted to say goodbye. She wanted to come back…sometime soon.

Edging away her sad feelings Selina stepped outside of the building. Holding her box tightly Selina took her phone and searched through her contacts list. Would it be weird? Would it seem strange that she’d be calling? Without anymore thinking Selina pressed the talk button.

“Ella?” Selina asked. “If you aren’t busy would you like to have lunch with me? I was thinking since you treated me to dinner the other day I’d like to treat you today.”

*_*_*_*_*_*

Ella hung up her phone feeling surprised. How in the world had Selina gotten her number? But then after all couldn’t Jiro have given it to her? Why would Selina ask her out for lunch? Was there something going on? Ella got up grabbing her purse and walking out to her car. As she started the car she told herself not to think too much.

As Ella drove into the parking lot she could spot Selina standing in front of the building holding a box. Ella stopped the car and waited for Selina to get in.

“What’s the box for?” Ella asked staring at the back seat where the box sat.

“It’s nothing much.” Selina replied getting into the passenger’s seat and putting her seatbelt on.

“Did you quit?” Ella questioned.

Selina didn’t answer at first, but smiled turning to Ella, “It’s something I decided to do.”

“Did something happen?” asked Ella.

Selina shook her head, “Well should we get going now?”

“Oh yes…” Ella replied putting her car into drive.

*_*_*_*_*_*

At first lunch seemed awkward. The atmosphere was silent and their awkwardness toward each other was very obvious. Selina dug at her food not sure of what to say. After what seemed like five minutes passed Selina looked up.

“Thanks for coming out,” Selina thanked.

“How are things going for you?” Ella asked.

“It’s fine…I guess,” Selina replied. “What about you? You’ve been well?”

“Well I can’t lie. Things are bad here and there, but I’m trying my best,” Ella replied. “Being alone in Taipei is hard at times.”

“You live alone?” Selina questioned.

“My family is in the states,” Ella replied.

“You must miss them,” Selina said.

Ella was silent then said, “Sometimes I think it’s for the better of things. I miss them, but I don’t want to miss them. You get it?”

Selina watched Ella’s face expression change from blank to weary. Figuring that something must have happened between them, Selina didn’t say anymore.

“I happened to hear about your grandpa. Sorry for the loss,” Ella said.

“Oh…yea,” Selina replied meekly.

Selina stared at her plate for a while.

“Selina,” Ella called, “I hope we can be good friends.”

Selina looked up at Ella and smiled.


*_*_*_*_*_*

Jiro stared at the screen at the front of the meeting room. After renewing his project and going over his mistakes for hours every night finally they were complete with the animations. After the clip finished the lights .

“Send it to my father to take a look at it,” Jiro ordered, “after he approves we’ll send it to the company. If they agree to it then make an appointment for a meeting where we can sign the contract.”

“Yes sir,” Jiro’s secretary said and walked out of the room.

Taking a deep breath Jiro got up from the chair and got out of the room. Stretching in the middle of the hallway Jiro looked down to the left and right wondering if anyone was staying behind work. Jiro wandered down the dim hallways and looked inside the department. All the lights were off darkening the room. Stepping back in disappointment Jiro turned around to go home. What was he expecting anyway? It was way past midnight it was obvious Selina wouldn’t still be there.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Chun spun around on his chair biting his thumbnail. He hadn’t had a word with Selina after she returned. Chun remembered seeing her carry a box with a blunt expression on her face. What did he feel then? Guilty? But he also didn’t want to give into those feelings. He feared that if he was too nice Selina would slip away too. However, Chun didn’t want to seem mean to her.

*_*_*_*_*_*

Selina sat on the couch flipping through the channels and getting bored she turned the TV off. She wondered if she seemed mean toward Chun. She’d only given him a slight glare after she returned. Did she seem too selfish about what she wanted and what she didn’t want? After all she was living in Chun’s house and eating off his money. What was wrong about that picture? Selina was a freeloader. She guessed working at Chun’s could be considered as repaying her debt to him, but Selina also didn’t feel like going to work with Chun. She’d already spent so much time at Jiro’s company and she was already adapting to the environment then she had to quit.

Quickly hearing Chun’s soft footsteps Selina quickly turned the TV back on and pretended to be concentrated on what was going on in the show.

“You can turn it off, I know you weren’t watching TV,” Chun said.

Giving up at being caught Selina turned off the TV and set the remote beside her. Chun on the cushion next to her and they were quiet for a bit.