Second

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun ate hungrily and quickly. Ella didn’t mind because she knew this was how he always was. Ever since their breakup Chun had been avoiding her in many ways, but since she kept on coming back to bug him he just apparently let his uncomfortable feelings go. And now they here...at this standpoint in their lives...

“So how was work today?” Ella asked.

It didn’t feel so strange to her anymore that she was always the one to initiate the conversations. Since Chun wouldn’t do it then she would.

She was never able to bring herself to push the pain away that Chun had broken up with her so she could be with someone else. It was a truth that never left her heart.

“It’s the usual,” Chun replied, “aren’t you hungry? Why don’t you eat?”

Ella smiled, “I’m eating.”

“I heard you accompanied Jiro to the usual place last night,” Chun poked at a piece of steak, “what’s there to worry about that you had to drink?”

Ella set her fork down and looked up at the handsome man who once used to be her lover.

“Jiro’s just moping about his father,” Ella told, “anyway I didn’t drink. He enjoyed himself and I just sat there. You know…if you came along…”

“I had papers to sign, a thousand of them,” Chun cut her off.

He didn’t mind accompanying her during dinner, but the only thing that bugged him was why have dinner together when she wasn’t even touching her food? Though he knew clearly she just missed him and just wanted to spend some time alone together. He was pretty clear about the fact that she’d been hanging on the line…for 2 years now and it was hurting her badly. Still he couldn’t help it. How could he date a girl and be happy with her when realizing the fact that your other friend was watching longingly? What a mess he was in.

“Look, I’m very tired tonight, if you have time I’ll treat you tomorrow,” Chun suggested.

Ella looked down at her plate sadly. She felt so empty inside.

“I’m sorry for wasting your time,” Ella apologized.

“I’ll take you home,” Chun offered.

Chun stopped his car in front of Ella’s glamorous house. It wasn’t too big nor too small. Ella lived alone, but she had a housekeeper that came daily to clean. Ella turned toward Chun she didn't to let him go yet and leave the music of silence to accompany her throughout the night. She wished she could think of some other way to make him come inside and stay, but she knew better than that. A month after the breakup he always found good excuses to not go in and since then he's never visisted, never even stopped by to say hi. Still Ella tried anyway.

“Would you like to come in for some tea?” Ella asked. “Or maybe some coffee? Or we can just hang out for a bit. It’s really quiet and I…”

“Just go in. You’re starting to have panda eyes,” Chun told in a caring soft tone that made Ella’s heart flutter.

Ella pressed her lips together, “Then…we’ll have dinner together tomorrow night?”

Chun looked at her patiently keeping silent.

“Please?” Ella asked. “I…it’s just one of those times that I’m not feeling too well…I don’t want to be alone. Besides even if you’re quiet I’d prefer your silence over Jiro’s.”

“Ok, enough go in,” Chun said quickly.

Ella bit her bottom lip knowing she’d blown it. It was a bad thing to compare him and Jiro especially when talking to him. The thing Chun hated most was when she bashed Jiro.

“I’m sorry,” Ella apologized hurt.

Chun repressed his oncoming sigh, “We’ll go out tomorrow, but don’t wait for me at work. I’ll come pick you up.”

Ella’s face lit up with a smile, “Then…I’m going in now.”

Chun nodded.

“Good night,” Ella said and got out of the car.

Chun watched as Ella unlocked her door and went in. He started the engine and drove off.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina had rushed home right after the interview, but had quickly rushed out to buy some oranges for her grandpa. There was a convenient store not too far from her apartment. As soon as she went in she quickly regretted doing so. Standing inside was that same old man who was in his thirties glancing at some gossip magazines. Selina bit her lip and quickly walked pass him hoping with all her might that he wouldn’t notice her.

“Selina! You finally came!” he said loudly.

Selina scrunched up her face and turned around with a fake friendly smile.

“Hey there,” Selina greeted, “I didn’t see you.”

There she was again in the same situation she'd been finding herself in for the past few weeks. It seemed as if there were no other woman out in the world that interested this man except for her. He was always looking for her trying to get her to go out on dates with him, which, Selina had refused all of them.

“I thought you said we had a date yesterday. I waited for you all night but you didn’t come,” the man said sullenly.

Selina gulped feeling sick and annoyed. Why must he always bug her?

“Well…you see…” Selina began as she quickly tried to think of an explanation. “My boyfriend! Yes! My boyfriend took me out yesterday.”

“Boyfriend?” asked the man. “Ever since I’ve known you I never knew you had a boyfriend.”

“Well…that is…I was afraid to hurt your feelings so I never spoke about it,” Selina lied.

The man seemed to ponder from thought to thought and Selina quickly entered another aisle where she grabbed a bag of oranges and headed for the counter.

“Who is he?” asked the man. “I won’t believe you unless I see him.”

Selina made a face as she handed the cashier the oranges. Why must this old man be so insistent upon dating? Doesn’t he have a life or something? Selina handed the cashier cash and quickly walked out. To her luck that old man followed and he was quick.

“You’re lying aren’t you?” the old man asked.

“I’m not. I do have a boyfriend,” Selina kept on with her lie hoping anyway that it sounded real then she came to a quick pause.

“Who else is better than me? I’ve got loads of money, cars, a nice house….” the old man trailed off, but Selina wasn’t listening anymore.

Before her was a man walking alone. He seemed just like the kind of guy who would be her boyfriend. Though she knew what she was going to do would be embarrassing, but at least it’d get this old geezer off her back.  

“Honey! Wait honey!” Selina shouted rushing forward.

She jumped at him and grabbed his arm. As she looked at him she realized that he was bigger than she’d thought. From faraway his built body seemed smaller. He looked down at her with a confused expression.

“How could you?” the old man asked walking up to Selina. “He’s not your boyfriend!”

Selina bit her bottom lip again, “Honey! I told you to wait outside for me, why did you hurry off like that?”

The man seemed confused. Selina quickly turned to the old geezer before the stranger could say anything afraid that if he spoke her play would be ruined.

“Don’t you think we match? I’ll send you a wedding invitation,” Selina said with a cheery smile.

The old man stared at her then moved his eyes over to the stranger. Narrowing his eyes the old man turned around. Watching his car until he disappeared around the corner Selina finally let go of the man’s arm and sighed a sigh of relief. She looked up at the man feeling her face become hot. He was really good looking. Selina laughed nervously and quickly rushed off leaving him to stare after her.