Twelfth

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

First to arrive after Jiro was Ella. After Jiro had unlocked the doors and walked through the house a little he could hear Ella’s car stop outside then her footsteps enter the cottage.

“Wow is it clean,” she remarked.

Jiro turned around not surprised as he had stopped into the dining room.

“I had someone clean it yesterday,” he admitted. “I wouldn’t clean. You know that.”

“Of course,” Ella told. “I remember we used to drink outside at night for the fun of it.”

Jiro smiled, “Yea that was fun back then. We’d have Chun grill the food for us too.”

“By the way where’s your girlfriend?” Ella asked.

Jiro placed his hands on the long dining room table feeling that it was cold. He didn’t mean to lie, but he guessed it couldn’t be helped.

“She’s with Chun right now,” Jiro replied.

“With Chun?” Ella asked.

“Uh…they’re friends,” Jiro lied turning around quickly.

As soon as their eyes met a car stopped outside.

“They must be here,” Jiro said quickly walking away to avoid any further questions.

Ella with a small frown followed him.

Outside next to Ella’s car was Chun’s. Ella watched as a girl got out of the car with a smile plastered onto her face as well as Chun’s. It made her wonder what they had been talking about and why they looked so happy. Jiro walked over to them making sure he was standing by Selina.

“You guys made it,” Jiro told.

“What, you think we’d go back on our words?” Chun asked.

“You guys aren’t that bad,” Jiro said trying to smile.

It would be the first time the three of them had gotten together in 3 rotten years.

“Hi,” Ella said shyly stepping up to them then she turned her eyes to Selina.

Selina smiled back looking nervous.

“You’re Selina, Jiro’s girlfriend, right?” Ella questioned.

Selina’s smile dropped and she looked at Chun who glanced back at her then to Jiro.

“Yea,” Jiro lied as he slipped his hand into Selina’s and was surprised that she refused to hold his.

Jiro took a quick glance at Chun to see that he looked unhappy when he noticed Jiro take hold of Selina’s hand.

“Selina, this is Ella,” Jiro introduced.

Selina recognized Ella right away. At the same time she wanted an explanation for what was going on and how did she suddenly go from being Chun’s girlfriend to Jiro’s girlfriend? For all she knew she’d never done anything personal with Jiro. She’d never held onto him like how she’d held onto Chun. What was going on?

“What are you doing?” Chun asked.

“How about we go inside first?” Jiro asked changing the subject quickly.

He pulled a confused Selina after him leaving Chun to stare after them. Chun felt confused himself. He knew Jiro was up to something after he had given him that call. Jiro hadn’t invited him to the cottage in years so why now all of a sudden? Why was he taking Selina? It wasn’t what he was thinking was it? He hoped not. Jiro couldn’t have any liking toward Selina when Chun was already starting to get closer to her. Chun felt a bit angry at how idiotic Jiro was being. He walked passed Ella without greeting her and hurried after Selina and Jiro.

Ella watched as Chun hurried by. She had wanted to talk to him. It had been a while since she had talked to him and she missed him. Feeling a bit sad she slowly followed the rest.

“Sorry,” Jiro said letting go of Selina’s hand.

Selina frowned at him, “What sorry? You think that’ll make me feel better?”

Jiro couldn’t bring himself to say anything.

“Why are you lying to me again?” Selina wanted to know. “I don’t want to be angry, but I’m feeling angry now.”

“Jiro!” Chun’s voice came.

Selina and Jiro turned to see Chun walk toward them. He stopped between Selina and Jiro.

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked Chun.

“I…” Jiro began.

“Chun!” Ella soon followed.

They all turned to look at her and Selina suddenly felt that everything was messed up. She realized this was their problem and not hers, but why was she there? Ella paused and glanced at Selina first. Selina looked away avoiding her gaze and they all stood in complete silence wanting to question the other, but not being able to do it.

“Chun lets go get some wood outside,” Jiro said then walked out to the back.

Chun glared at him and followed without saying anything. Selina stood still then turned to glance at Ella.

“I heard you and Chun are friends,” Ella told.

Selina didn’t know how to feel.

“Yea,” Selina replied.

“Do you know much about him?” Ella questioned.

“Hmm?” Selina asked.

Ella smiled as if embarrassed, “I mean do you know how he’s been doing the past few days? And what he’s been up to?”

“Oh…” was all Selina was able to manage. “Work…I think.”

This time Ella smiled warmly, “How close are you two?”

Selina looked at her eyes then away. What should she say? That everyone thought they were going out, especially his mother?

“We…we’re just friends,” Selina told.

Ella turned to look out the window that led to the backyard.

“This is the first time the three of us are together in three years,” Ella told. “I hope Chun and I can get back together.”

Selina felt crushed. Between Chun and Jiro she would only take Chun. No wonder Jiro felt disappointed. What about herself? How did she become acquainted with the two of them so suddenly? Wasn’t she and Chun supposed to be together? Why was this bothering her? Didn’t she like Jiro?

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stopped by a stack of chopped woods and could feel Chun standing behind him.

“Tell me now,” Chun told. “What’s with Selina being your girlfriend?”

“She’s not,” Jiro told. “You know it better than me. I have nothing to do with her.”

“Then why’d you lie,” Chun asked with harshness in his tone of voice. “You’re completely confusing her. You’re confusing me, too, Jiro. What’s up with you? Whatever it is that’s between us or Ella don’t bring Selina into it, got it?”

“You need to get back with Ella,” Jiro said without turning around. “So I lied, Ella believes it so you can’t tell her you and Selina are dating.”

“What?” Chun asked almost feeling as if he was going crazy. “Is something wrong with you?”

Jiro didn’t respond.

“So what if I’m dating Selina?” Chun asked. “You have no right to steal her from me this time!”

Jiro felt hurt, disappointed in himself and Chun. Nothing could be helped.

“We’re going back,” Chun told.

“Don’t you love her?” Jiro questioned turning around. “Ella…don’t you love her?”

“That’s way in the past Jiro,” Chun said. “Just accept it. So what if I move on ahead? What’s wrong with that?”

Jiro kept a hard stare on Chun.

“What’s going on out here?” Ella asked walking out with a tray of two cups of water.

Chun turned to see Selina slowly coming out behind Ella. How was he supposed to get away in this situation? Selina must be feeling strange he thought.

“Why don’t we have a barbeque?” asked Ella. “Selina and I can prepare the food. Why don’t you guys grill the meat?”

Chun looked at Selina feeling as if he wanted to hug her. Selina slowly looked away turning her gaze to the grass.

To Selina’s surprise the refrigerator was packed with food. She and Ella took almost the whole day preparing everything. Jiro and Chun stood outside silently grilling steak and fish. Chun refused to talk to Jiro and Jiro couldn’t bring himself to talk.

The sky had almost darkened when Selina and Ella brought out water and two bowls full of rice. They set it on the covered table and soon they were all sitting. They ate silently with Ella exchanging some jokes with Jiro. Selina didn’t know what to say so she laughed in reply. Chun, however, kept to himself the whole time even when Ella tried to speak to him.

“We’re almost out of rice. I’ll go get some more,” Ella offered. Taking the bowl with her she went inside.

Chun got up from his chair and stared ahead of him.

“I’m going back. I don’t want to keep lying like an idiot,” Chun told then took Selina’s hand, “lets go back Selina.”

As Selina got up without objection Jiro who had been sitting to her right took her hand stopping her. Selina turned to look at Jiro wondering what in the world he was thinking.

“Stay with me,” Jiro told.

Chun frowned, “Let go of her hand Jiro.”