Twentyfirst

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina sat at her desk bored as most of her colleagues were already leaving.

“Bye Selina. I’ll see you tomorrow,” a girl said.

Selina waved toward her and turned back to stare at her desktop screen. Jiro was late. It was already 6:30. Was he standing her up? Deciding to give up Selina got up and grabbed her purse turning around just as Jiro came in panting for air.

“If you don’t believe me I’ve ran all the way up the stairs,” Jiro told.

Selina found herself walking beside Jiro at the night market taking in the nice scent of food.

“I wanted to come back earlier, but I felt shy coming alone,” Jiro confessed. “I really miss those noodles.”

“So childish,” Selina told. “You can’t even come to eat a bowl of noodles alone.”

Selina and Jiro headed toward the food stall they’d been to the first night he’d taken her out for dinner. They found a table and sat down with their soon served bowls of noodles. Jiro ate quickly and got another bowl.

“Wait, wait!” Selina said as Jiro began to eat his second bowl. “Get me a bowl too.”

With two new bowls in front of them Selina began to explain the game. Whoever finished eating first would have to give be given a piggyback ride by the loser.

“Ready, set go!” Selina declared and the two quickly dug into their bowls.

A few seconds later Jiro shouted, “Done!”

Selina slurped the last noodles into and took a breath of air giving a quiet burp.

“You cheated!” Selina declared.

“How? I ate just like you did,” Jiro pointed out.

“Cause…your mouth is bigger,” Selina declared.

“Being a sore loser huh?” Jiro asked.

“I am not. Lets do it again,” Selina said.

“No!” Jiro refused. “My stomach’s going to burst.”

Selina turned away to ignore his eyes. She didn’t want to give him a piggyback ride. She’d figured he would go easy on her and let her win on purpose.

Jiro felt like smiling as he stared at her pouty face. He knew his limits, but couldn’t resist thinking of her as cute. Maybe he’d really played a game on himself by telling everyone that she was his girlfriend. Was he taking the game as real?

Jiro got up from his seat and pulled Selina’s hand bending before her. Selina stared at his back with surprise. She hadn’t expected him to do that.

“Hey hurry up,” Jiro said turning his head slightly back. “It’s embarrassing.”

“But…” Selina started then stopped, “I’ll take this ride to my advantage then. We’ll go as far as I want.”

Jiro rolled his eyes amused, “Alright.”

Jiro felt his heart beat faster as Selina put her arms around his neck.

“Where to Captain Selina?” he asked.

“Chun’s house,” Selina said.

Jiro turned to look at her, “Are you serious?”

Selina nodded.

“But…” Jiro began.

“Hurry up! You’re wasting time,” Selina whined sounding like a little girl.

Jiro gave in and walked out of the night market.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun got out of his car and started toward the steps of his house only to find a small figure sitting the stair steps. To find out who it was he stopped at the bottom of the steps and even without asking he already knew. Ella was hugging herself and unusually she wasn’t wearing her jacket.

“Ella?” Chun questioned.

She hadn’t taken a step onto his property since they’d broken up. Ella rose her head up to look at him.

“Chun,” she said sounding quite relieved yet there was something else with her voice he couldn’t really tell.

“What are you doing here?” Chun asked thanking God that his mother was attending 3 late meetings that night.

Ella looked around at the ground with blurred words coming out of .

“I’m sorry. Couldn’t help it…I…feel…it’s so bad,” Ella told.

Chun stared at her realizing that she was going to cry soon. He took her by the shoulders.

“Ella what’s wrong? It’s not like you to be like this,” Chun told.

“Chun…they don’t even care!” Ella said before the tears had already fallen and she buried her face into his chest holding him tight.

That was the only thing she wanted. To hold him…again.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stopped in front of Chun’s mansion and let Selina down. Keeping it to themselves they’d enjoyed the whole walk from the market to Chun’s house.

“Well…” Jiro began.

“Don’t you want to come in?” Selina asked.

“Well…I don’t think it’s necessary,” Jiro replied.

Selina’s face went glum for a second as she tried to understand him, “Wouldn’t be rude to let a girl walk to the house by herself?”

Jiro looked at her feeling surprised by what had just come out of mouth. They stared at each other for a few seconds then Jiro nodded. Selina smiled to herself as they walked in through the gates together. They stopped in the dark as Selina made out Chun and Ella standing together under the light. She felt her heart churn achingly as Ella hugged Chun. Why was Chun leading her into the house? Why would he even take her by the hand? Her mind swam around in circles. She didn’t want to believe what she’d just saw. Chun wasn’t supposed to leave her and be with someone else. She hadn’t even realized how selfish her thoughts were. She felt lost again as if her grandpa had passed away once more. Tears reached her eyes. She was being left alone again.

Selina took a step forward, but felt Jiro grab her arm pulling her back. Selina turned around to look at him angrily.

“Let go of me!” she said angrily.

She wanted to go in and ruin Chun’s moment with Ella.

“Selina calm down,” Jiro told recalling Chun’s words about Selina being in a weak state of mind.

“Let go of me! Jiro I said let go of me!” Selina pulled away, but Jiro grabbed her pulling her back.

They did that three more times until Selina let out a loud cry. Jiro looked down at her wondering how a good moment had changed to such a strange one. Just like how Selina’s good mood had changed to being completely possessive over Chun. He felt it wasn’t fair. Why was Selina paying so much attention to Chun when he was around too? Selina was struggling so hard against his grip he was almost at a lost of how to calm her down. He leaned forward and smashed his lips against hers. It was soothing for him and an experience he thought he’d never get again. However, Selina still struggled against him. Putting her hands on his shoulders to push herself away, but failed. Jiro felt himself going deeper and deeper into the kiss soon wishing they were somewhere else. Pulling herself an inch away from him Selina gave him a hard slap across the face. They both stared at each other lost in their own worlds.

Selina wiped her tears miserably then walked passed him. Jiro stared after her figuring if he didn’t chase her she would do something regretful.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun sat Ella down the couch and rushed elsewhere to grab some tissues. He came back and handed them to Ella. Disappointed that Chun wouldn’t wipe her tears for her she took the tissues and blew her nose.

“What happened?” Chun asked. “You look awful.”

Ella sniffed hoping that would end her sobs, “What happened a few years ago…my family did again.”

Chun’s face turned into an understanding expression.

“You shouldn’t care too much,” Chun told. “Why don’t you change your account number?”

Ella’s tears kept coming again. She trusted her family, loved them to pieces, and they didn’t even care. She had put so much of her hopes on them that it hurt so bad.

“Yea…I know,” Ella told. “I’m sorry…Selina will be back so I should leave.”

“Why don’t you stay for a bit? We can have dinner together then I’ll send you home later,” Chun suggested.

Ella got up deciding to leave, “I’ll see you again. Sorry for troubling you.”

Ella felt even worse to see that Chun didn’t make any effort to go after her. The door closed behind her and she let out a loud sob. Why? Why was everything so bad for her? She looked up into the night sky finding the first star. Would her wish for happiness come true?

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina kept looking back to see Jiro following her distantly and quietly. Annoyed she came to a stop and turned around.

“What do you want!” she couldn’t help, but shout.

Jiro stopped in front of her, “You’re just upset because Ella is with Chun.”

“So? What does it have to do with you?” she questioned roughly.

Jiro looked up into the sky as he took a breath then returned to her, “Do you like him that much?”

Selina stared at Jiro not answering. Did she? Why when she thought of it closely now her mind was blank?

“You don’t feel well do you?” Jiro asked.

Selina could feel tears arise in her eyes once more. She missed her grandpa and that empty spot in her heart ached so much. Selina looked down to the ground.

“I thought I felt better,” she told.

“It’s ok,” he said walking toward her and putting both his arms around her.

This time it was him who wanted the hug.