Thirthyeighth

Single Portrait

***

Had the old woman come back? Did she need something? But she’d just dropped off some food a few minutes ago. Selina put down her bowl of rice and hurried toward the door.

“Just wait!” she shouted. “Did you need something?”

Selina pushed open her door then froze as she found herself looking up into Jiro’s face. Jiro stared down at her feeling happy and surprised. Selina found herself accidentally stepping back and letting the door close, but Jiro caught the door just in time holding it open.

“Just listen to me alright?” Jiro said.

Selina found herself speechless. What did he want? How did he know?

“Why are you here?” Selina asked.

“You once said that you’d never forgive me if I just let things go,” Jiro told, “if you don’t listen to me this time I won’t forgive you either.”

Unsure of herself Selina stepped out closing the door after her. She crossed her arms and looked around for signs of anyone that might still be outside, but the place seemed deserted.  

“Talk,” Selina ordered.

“You were right,” Jiro said grabbing her shoulders gently.

Selina stared up at him with a frown and tried to move out from his hold, but failed.

“What are you doing?” Selina questioned.

“I’m sorry I didn’t have the courage. I’m sorry I let you run forward first,” Jiro apologized, “I’m sorry I cared too much about others and I let you down.”

“You…you’re…” Selina said, but Jiro interrupted.

“Sorry I didn’t say so, but I did. I felt it too and I did like you,” Jiro said, “no scratch that I do like you and I still do. The feelings have never died away.”

Selina found her heart beating faster as Jiro smiled down at her.

“I just had to learn the hard way that cherishing the present is more important than holding onto the past,” Jiro told.

He leaned down and gave her a soft peck on the lips.

“So you don’t have to be angry anymore,” Jiro said.

Selina smiled and they kissed again.

***

Ella stared after Chun’s back. Was it right to tell him where Selina was? If Jiro had made it there first wouldn’t he be hurt? But anyway Chun wouldn’t listen to her. He was a stubborn person and he’d have to face it by himself if he wanted to make it there. As they ran pass the restaurant Chun came to an abrupt stop. He seemed to stare at whatever it was that was ahead of him. Ella walked up behind him, but didn’t stand too close to him. As she looked passed him she could clearly see Jiro and Selina. More worried about Chun she glanced at him. He would be hurt obviously, but how deep would he take it? Chun turned around and walked passed her. He’d want to be alone of course.

***

“Whoa! This room is as big as a box,” Jiro said holding out his arms in the living room. “It’s just small enough to fit you.”

Selina frowned at Jiro and smacked his chest.

“Then you can get out of here,” she said.

Jiro rubbed his hands over his chest.

“That hurt,” he commented.

“I was going to eat before you came. Did you already eat?” asked Selina.

Jiro followed Selina into the small kitchen.

“This place is really small enough for you,” he said.

Selina turned around to glare at him.

Jiro laughed nervously, “Calm down it was a joke.”

Selina ignored him turned around.

Jiro laughed as he looked down at the bowls of food, “Look at this! No wonder you gained weight.”

“Do you always speak without thinking?” Selina asked. “So what if I get fat? If you eat this you’ll get fat too Mr. Petty.”

“Ok calm down,” Jiro laughed. “You don’t understand my jokes.”

“Or are you being sarcastic?” asked Selina.

Jiro smiled as he sat down.

“You get all these free food from that restaurant? You’re pretty lucky,” Jiro told.

Selina smiled sarcastically at him.

“How’s Chun?” Selina asked out of the blue.

“Why are you asking about him?” Jiro said.

“Do I need to give you a reason?”

“Of course! If you want to get me jealous find another way! That guy and me…we’re inseparable!”

Selina stared at him blankly.

Jiro coughed and continued, “Ok don’t stare like that it gets me nervous. He’s alright. I think he wants to talk to you.”

Selina smiled upon herself.

“What are you smiling for! Don’t smile when I mention Chun because you can’t do that,” Jiro said pointing his finger at her.

Selina slapped his hand away.

“Are you always this annoying?” she asked.

Jiro smiled, “It’s how I got Ella to tell me where you are.”

“Eat after you chew your food!” Selina shouted. “It’s disgusting!”

“You should get used to it,” Jiro said. “I do it often.”

After Jiro had left and Selina had locked the door she returned to her room and sat on her bed. She thought for a long time. Was Chun having a hard time? It had been so long since he’d been with her Selina figured he must feel very empty in that big house of his. Selina turned to look at her phone debating on whether she should give him a call or not. Giving in Selina reached for her phone and searched for Chun’s name. A second later she could hear the ringing tone. It took five more rings for Chun to pick up and when he did there was only silence. Selina pressed her lips together unsure of what to say.

“I heard you were doing alright,” Selina began, “you aren’t too lonely in that big house of yours right? You should be laughing every once in a while right? Your mom is a funny person.”

Selina felt like slapping herself. Her words were pointless. What was she saying?

“I missed you,” Selina told almost quietly, “and I’m sure you are the same, but I’m sure you don’t need me around to keep living on. You promised me you’ll be there whenever I need you so you keep your end of the bargain and I’ll stay happy. Chun…take care of yourself. I’ll come visit you when I’m ready.”

***

Chun could feel a deep loneliness swell up inside him. His eyes became watery as soon as he heard her voice. Finally he was able to hear her sweet voice once more. He wanted to hug her and apologize and tell her of his feelings again. Was Selina feeling sad too? Chun closed his phone and stared into the darkness that his room brought him.

***

Selina closed her phone and silently smiled to herself. She shouldn’t be sad. Afterall it was she, herself, that had hurt Chun. Even if she felt bad about it there was no helping it. She needed to leave anyway. She had been suffocating herself in his home and they weren’t going anywhere when their relationship lacked the love and feelings it was supposed to have. Selina turned to stare out at the dark blue sky that was night now.

***

Right after work Jiro had rushed to go pick up Selina for their date. He dragged her to the movies and she dragged him to the arcade. They went to eat pizza after and went out to play some more games then took a night walk into the park then returned to Selina’s place. The next night they bought ingredients to bake cookies together which turned into a flour fight. The whole kitchen was covered in white powder and the two of them were white from head to toe. They ate burnt cookies until the sun went down and rose up again. A few more carefree dates followed after until Jiro was caught up at work with his father.

“Where have you been this past week?” his father asked. “You haven’t been returning home until early morning. You aren’t out drinking with Chun are you?”

Jiro found himself laughing.

“What’s so funny about that?” his father asked.

“Dad I asked you before right?” Jiro said.

His father stared at him blankly.

“You said grandpa didn’t like mother so you’re not going to say anything against the girl I like,” Jiro said.

His father raised his eyebrow, “You like someone?”

Jiro smiled, “I don’t think you’ll be too surprised, but you should like her.”

“Then bring her home for dinner,” his father said. “I’ll be home tonight then.”

“You got it,” Jiro replied with a smirk.

A minute later Selina was screaming in Jiro’s face.

“Your father?!” Selina asked loudly. “You told your father what?! You have to be kidding me! Why are you always trying to kill me?”

“What do you mean kill you?” asked Jiro. “Oh the roller coaster last time?”

“Don’t you speak about that incident!” Selina shouted. “How can you tell him I’m coming for dinner without my consent first!”

Jiro smiled and sat calmly on Selina’s couch.

“Just find something nice to wear and if anything bad happens…does it really matter?” asked Jiro.

Selina slapped her hand against her head, “You’re like the worst boyfriend ever.”

“Don’t say that. You’re just badmouthing yourself,” Jiro said picking his nails.

Selina smacked his head and walked into her room closing the door after him. Jiro was left with a bewildered expression on his face wondering what he’d done wrong.

“I was only speaking the truth. You are badmouthing yourself if you talk about me like that,” Jiro said with a shrug.