∞ 21 ∞

Paradise in a Secret

A buzz of voices on the brink of shouting filled the room where Eunhye was sleeping.

 

“Lee Howon, I thought I strictly told you that you weren’t allowed to sleep in the same room as her.” Sunggyu’s narrow eyes glared at Howon.

 

“Don’t worry about anything happening, we’re dating, okay?” Howon sighed in exasperation.

 

“Excuse me?! That does not give you any reason to sleep in the same room as her!” Sunggyu threw the idea of keeping quiet out the window, and he was too angry to think of leaving the room.

 

Eunhye stirred at the sudden spike of voice volumes, her eyes barely opening against the sunlight that were filtered through the curtains.

 

“To make the matters worse, you were sleeping on the same damn area as her.” Sunggyu harshly said. He pointed at the bundle of blankets behind Howon, but didn’t look past him – his eyes were locked with Howon’s, and his gaze was fiery enough to burn wood.

 

 “She needed someone beside her so that she could fall asleep.” Howon remained calm.

 

“Lee Howon,” Sunggyu glared at him. “Don’t start making up lies and excuses.”

 

“Sunggyu.” Howon stood up effortlessly from the floor, not stumbling or losing his balance once. Eunhye felt the movement of the mat underneath her, and she rolled over to look at the two. To Eunhye, it was weird how he never showed any signs of exhaustion – the minute he woke up, it was as if he wasn’t asleep at all the second before. “Do you think I’d lie about something like that?”

 

“Lie or no lie, I told you to sleep in separate rooms. You’re a teen, Howon.” Sunggyu stood his ground, too angry to back down. “I specifically said to have her stay in your room.”

 

“Does my age matter in this?” Howon stepped forward, bringing himself right in front of Sunggyu. He was shorter than Sunggyu, but confidence made his height match Sunggyu’s. “I told you, she needed someone beside her so that she could sleep.”

 

“I’m your guardian, and I have a say in this. Don’t treat me as if I’m only your roommate; even if I was, I still have an opinion you should respect.” Sunggyu raised his voice, filling the room with his scolding.

 

“If someone can’t sleep because they’re having nightmares, would you let them lie in bed and stare at the ceiling for five hours until sunrise?” Howon shouted right back at him.

 

“Please don’t,” Eunhye groggily got up and pulled Howon away from Sunggyu. She hated loud sounds, and she especially hated the noise of people yelling at each other in a rage. “It was my fault for coming in here in the middle of the night. Please don’t fight over it.”

 

“At least she has some sense,” Sunggyu scoffed and rolled his eyes. “I’ll bet that if she wasn’t well-behaved, I would’ve woken up to the sounds of you two doing it on the floor.”

 

Eunhye watched as Howon tackled Sunggyu to the ground. She yelped and stumbled out of the way to avoid a flying book thrown by Sunggyu. It was war between two men, and Eunhye had no idea how to stop them.

 

“Screw you and your third Dan black belt in taekwondo,” Sunggyu spat as he barely avoided a swift roundhouse kick that almost knocked down a vase of flowers.

 

“Stop, stop, stop!” Eunhye cried out and grabbed onto Howon’s hand, trying to drag him away from Sunggyu, only to have him be punched in the jaw. She had distracted Howon and made him lose his balance, and it gave Sunggyu the chance to hit him. Eunhye let go in shock and backed away while Sunggyu relentlessly continued to assault Howon with punches.

 

Howon easily threw Sunggyu off of him once he got the right timing, and he jumped on top of Sunggyu to return the amount of swings Sunggyu had thrown. He stopped before he could hit Sunggyu when Eunhye's scream pierced the air.

 

The two brawling men halted their fight and looked up at her. They scrambled to stand up when they saw her clutching at her head and staring at them with horrified eyes, confusion spreading between them as they knew that they hadn’t hurt her at all.

 

“Eunhye?” Howon breathed out and took a step forward, which caused her to babble incoherent words and back away from him.

 

It was like a dam had been removed from a river in her memory. Everything she had forgotten – Howon sitting on the ground and looking at her, Junhyung biting her – she mentally saw them in full detail once again. Eunhye’s chest tightened as she began to hyperventilate at the thought of the truth of Howon and Junhyung’s identities, and Howon’s appearance didn’t do anything to help her at all.

 

No matter how worried Howon looked, or how hard he could try to calm her down, nothing would change the fact of his blue-hued eyes.

 



 

My condolences to the parents of the 25+ deaths from the Sewol Ferry ship accident in South Korea. My prayers go to the 281 dreams trapped in the sinking ship; I pray that you'll all be rescued. Please return safely, please come back. I don't need Infinite's comeback, or Block B's comeback, I just need all of those 281 students to come back safe and sound. My condolences the 562 parents who are in shock and are anxious. Park Jiyoung, you are a hero - you've saved many lives by giving yours in return. Jung Chawoong, you are a hero for your friends. 다들이 꼭 돌아와세요.

I hope the captain - who broke the code of conduct by being one of the first to evacuate without even making an announcement to everyone else to evacuate, and instead, told them to stay in their rooms - is punished. Even if he doesn't, karma will hit him. Hard.

 

Edited:  140417