∞ 2 ∞

Paradise in a Secret

The final bell for school rang, and Eunhye picked up her bag. Just as she was about to leave the classroom, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

 

“What’s your name?” Howon smiled as he looked at her.

 

Eunhye blinked and looked at him. After observing his face for a few seconds along with his posture, she decided that he wasn’t truly being nice. She shrugged his hand off and walked towards the door.

 

Howon was taken aback from her cold attitude. He glanced at the mirror hung up at the back of the classroom, checking to see if he had anything on his face, but he found nothing. He pursed his lips and ran after her, not wanting to give up just yet.

 

“Hold on, Eunhye!” He called out to her.

 

I knew this guy was faking it. Eunhye snorted quietly as she heard him say her name, even though she hadn’t told him when he had asked. She had obviously been introduced at the beginning of class; why would he have to personally ask her again?

 

“Lee Howon.” Howon said as he held his hand out towards her.

 

“I know, you don’t have to say it. You have a nametag.” Eunhye gestured towards the rectangular pin on his uniform.

 

“Ah… right…” He chuckled and awkwardly took his hand away to rub the nape of his neck, his ears turning a tinge of red from embarrassment. She was obviously not going to shake hands with him.

 

“May I go? I have places to be at.” She spun on her heel to leave, but Howon turned her back around.

 

“By places you mean like a club?” He chuckled. “I’ve seen a lot of people like you; appearing innocent and bullied, but in reality, they go make a bunch of money at a club.”

 

“Yeah, I go to clubs at night to make a bunch of money for myself.” She sarcastically replied.

 

“Whoa, I was right? Usually girls wouldn’t admit it… so why did you?” He raised an eyebrow at her.

 

“I don’t care, that’s why.” Eunhye scoffed and coolly walked away from him.

 

Howon chuckled to himself in amusement as he ran out to follow her, but he stopped when he saw someone violently push her into the lockers.

 

“Who do you think you are?!” The guy slapped her across the face, creating a loud echoing noise in the empty hallway. “Why did you make fun of my girlfriend when you look like a piece of yourself?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Eunhye asked.

 

 “You still have the nerve to talk back to me!” The guy roared and threw her to the ground, proceeding to kick at her repeatedly.

 

He was about to put all his strength into one kick until he was punched, and then mercilessly tackled to the floor. He groaned and lifted his head to meet his opponent, but instantly grew fearful as he saw who the culprit was.

 

“,” He muttered as he shoved Howon off of him and ran away.

 

Howon glared at the retreating back before turning to help Eunhye up. He had troubles ignoring the faint scent of blood that lingered in the air, but it wasn’t that bad. “Are you alright?”

 

Eunhye said nothing as she straightened her uniform. “I could’ve handled that by myself.”

 

“Are you kidding me? You were in such a vulnerable position that-”

 

“I can handle myself perfectly fine, thank you very much!” She unintentionally raised her voice, and quickly regained her composure after realizing she had. In truth, she really had no idea how to fight.

 

“It’s dark outside already,” Howon chuckled at her. “I’ll walk you home.”

 

Eunhye stared at him.

 

**

“We took that long? Man, it’s dark outside already. I’ll walk you home.” He smiled as he held her hand and walked with her.

When they arrived, Eunhye opened the door and was instantly hit with a strong smell of metallic copper. It wasn't the reek that shocked her, though.

**

 

She shook her head and cleared her mind of those thoughts; her parents weren’t on earth anymore. And besides, she wouldn’t care if her current guardians were killed. “Why would I walk home with a stranger?”

 

“Well… is it that hard to trust me when I just saved you?” He cheekily grinned at her, showing off his flawless set of teeth.

 

Trust. There’s that word again. Eunhye nodded and slightly limped towards the stairs, mentally cursing at the fact that she had sprained her ankle.

 

“See, you’re injured.” Howon ran in front of her and kneeled down with his back facing her. He turned his head around, still showing his friendly smile as made an offer. “I’ll piggyback you home.”

 

Eunhye nibbled on her lower lip as she stared at him. Howon recognized this as a small habit of hers, and personally found it adorable even though it ruined her lips. “I’m… not going home, I’m just going to self-study.”

 

“There’re no tests or exams coming up though?” Howon blinked as he stood up and looked at her. He saw how she stared elsewhere, obviously avoiding his gaze.

 

“See you.” Eunhye ignored him and limped off, slightly hopping as she was eager to get away from him.

 

Howon chuckled as he stuck his hands into his pockets.

 


 

Edited: 130819

Author's Note: adlfkajskdjlaghkjasjdf this is not going well OTL