∞ 9 ∞

Paradise in a Secret

“Absolutely not!”

 

Eunhye cringed, running back up the stairs and into her bedroom. She had only asked to skip the field trip, yet Jina was already fueled on anger.

 

“Honey, this girl thinks she can skip school because of her class field trip!” Jina was acting like a childish tattletaler.

 

“Geez, just give her a good hit on the head and she’ll shut up.” Shin lazily waved his hand. “I’m busy watching drama.”

 

Jina grumbled death threats and curses as she filled out the field trip form. It was an opportunity to have peace and quiet in the house for two nights and three days – even though Eunhye never really made any loud noises. Jina and Shin just didn’t want to see her face.

 

“Jihoo, take this damned thing to Eunhye.” Jina threw the form at Jihoo while he walked past the living room, startling him as he tried to catch the piece of paper.

 

Curiously, Jihoo scanned the paper while going up the stairs, his expression stiffening as he realized which school was joining the trip. He frowned and quickened his pace.

 

“Eunhye, are you asleep?” He anxiously knocked on the door.

 

“Yes.” Eunhye replied.

 

Jihoo chuckled as he opened the door and closed it quietly behind him, making sure that he didn’t make too much noise. He hesitated for a while prior to sitting down beside Eunhye on her bed. “You’re really going to go on this trip?”

 

“Are you asking me as my childhood friend, or are you asking me as Jihoo?”

 

“Both.” Jihoo put his arm around her shoulder; a gesture that he always did whenever he tried to cheer her up.

 

“Can we go on a walk?” Eunhye asked with a glint of hope in her eyes.

 

Jihoo nodded and went to change into presentable clothes, a slight frown donning his face as he changed into a random hoodie from his closet. The two only went on walks whenever she was extremely bothered by something. When that happened, they would just explore the neighborhood in silence.

 

This day was different, though.

 

“Do you remember that boy that took your clothes on that rainy day?” Eunhye spoke up once they were a block away from the house.

 

“I think the name on his tag was Lee Howon?” Jihoo furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to recall the image of Howon’s uniform.

 

“How does one scare away a guy?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“He’s been bothering me since I’ve transferred schools, and he’s the most annoying thing on earth. You’d expect me to start liking him, but dramas are inaccurate with their plots.” Eunhye complained as they took a turn onto a busy street. “I have a feeling that he’s going to be bothering me non-stop when I go on the field trip.”

 

“You’re not worried about Joon?” Jihoo cautiously asked.

 

“I don’t think he’s that stupid. He won’t bring anything up from the past.” She quietly mused with a serene expression on her face. “Maybe he’ll pry Howon away.”

 

“You’re saying it as if Howon did something wrong to you,” Jihoo laughed and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Do you want to eat spicy rice cakes? Unlike the last time we went on a walk, I remembered to bring my wallet.”

 

“Jihoo, you have to stop being so obsessed with spicy rice cakes.” Eunhye rolled her eyes at him. “Just this once.”

 


 

It was the morning of Monday; to Eunhye, it was the morning of hell.

 

“Come on, don’t be so stubborn! Just two nights ago you were expressing how you wanted Joon to pry Howon away from you, but now you’re stressing over seeing Joon!” Jihoo groaned as he tried to drag Eunhye out of bed, but she clung onto the opposite side of the bed for her dear life.

 

“I was sleep-deprived!”

 

“You’ll have Howon to keep Joon away! You’ve already packed everything, and that boy’s already waiting outside for you.” Jihoo grunted as he pulled on her leg with all his might. “In normal situations, you’re supposed to have less strength than me…”

 

“Jesus Christ, will you guys just shut up already!” An annoyed Shin yelled from his own bedroom. “Get out of the house already and stop being noisy so early in the morning, you little !”

 

Eunhye flinched as she jumped off the bed and grabbed her suitcase. She pouted at Jihoo before leaving quietly, making sure that she slowly closed the front door to avoid slamming it.

 

“What took you so long?” Howon chuckled as he saw her exiting her house.

 

“What did you pack?”

 

Howon blinked, caught off guard at the sudden question. “Uh… the basics?”

 

“More like a whole pack of apple juice.” Eunhye retorted while trying to get as friendly as possible. It really wasn’t working out that well.

 

“Nope, no apple juice at all! Just one box of grape juice.” Howon grinned, feeling a bit too jumpy. He blamed his current emotional peak on the fact that he had paid another visit to Junhyung’s café the night before.

 

Taking in a big breath, Eunhye stopped walking and turned to face Howon, who had to backtrack when he realized she was no longer beside him.

 

“What is it?” He asked, a hint of confusion in his tone.

 

“Lee Howon,” Eunhye stretched her hand out towards him. “Let’s be acquaintances.”

 

 


 

 

The face I made when I read through my fic.

Okayokay if that doesn't count as the chapterly hofangs, then here he is.

 

Edited: 130824

Author's Note: Wheeeeeeeee I don't even know why I'm doing this anymore jfc, this just reminds me how bad I am.