∞ 1 ∞

Paradise in a Secret

They enjoyed the horrified screams of their prey; like a cat teasing it's catch, they didn't devour their food instantly. It was fun for them to show off how dangerous they were, and the looks of terror on the human faces were amusing.

 

They were what Lee Howon refused to ever be. They were the bunch that Howon despised and looked down on, despite his younger age. Not once had he done what those rabid immortals had; not once had he taken advantage of his inhuman abilities. How his kind was even real still puzzled him - it had been ages since had been turned into one of them.

 

He had been through the world wars, he had watched as the world change drastically from mechanical to automatic. He had met all types of people and tasted all types of things, but he was still unsatsified.

 

Howon decided to return to school as a high schooler, with the hopes that maybe he could find out what he had missed in life. And so he enrolled in schools, making a new social security number for himself everytime he transfered schools. He managed to stay quiet, and not become a popular kid; sure, maybe a few girls would confess to him from time to time, but with the help of a pair of glasses, he had successfully turned into a fly on the wall.

 

And so, the young boy in a navy blue school uniform scowled in disgust as he stood on the empty streets. With his sharp vision, he could see the man that was already devouring his half-dead meal. Howon shook his head and took a detour, his hand reaching into the waterbottle pocket on his backpack as he pulled out an apple juice box.

 


 

“Please welcome our new student, Cho Eunhye.” Mrs.Lee introduced Eunhye for her.

 

The whole class tried to stifle their laughs as they looked at her. It’s not like her uniform was incorrectly worn; it was just that her brown hair was tied up in a messy bun, and the fact that her fringes were almost covering her eyes that had dark bags.

 

“She looks like a homeless person,” One classmate snickered.
“I know right? She looks so disgusting.” Another laughed.
“Man, I thought we were going to have a hot chick, not some piece of dirt.” A male classmate tsked.

 

“Enough!” Mrs.Lee tapped her pen against her desk. “Be quiet! Eunhye, you can go sit in that empty desk at the front.”

 

Eunhye gratefully sat down at the desk, which was right beside the classroom door. She lifted her head to look at the chalkboard, planning to study diligently. Not even a minute into the lesson, a piece of paper hit the back of her head.

 

Blinking, she glanced back to see that everyone was focused on the chalkboard. Furrowing her eyebrows, she saw the crumpled paper on the ground. Eunhye made sure that her teacher’s back was facing her as she bent over and picked it up, quietly opening up the paper and smoothing it out.

 

“What kind of style do you have? The homeless style?
Man, you’re so ugly, did you come straight from a trash can?
Fix your hair, you look like a crazy hairy spider!
Are you sure you’re in the right class? You should go back to kindergarten.”

 

Eunhye quickly shoved the paper into her pocket as she noticed her teacher turning around. She bit her lip and leaned back in her chair; how was she supposed to react to things like this? Everyone said to ignore them, but that was easier said than done.

 

Once the teacher turned back to the chalkboard, Eunhye tossed the paper into the recycling bin beside her desk, making sure to keep her expression blank.

 

The boy sitting beside her noticed that she wasn’t affected by any of the things written on the piece of paper. He smiled slightly and felt determined to become friends with her.

 


 

Edited: 130819

Author's Note: Oh good lord, I don't know if I can edit this whole thing without giving up halfway---