Chapter 11

Written In The Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jaejoong's condition began to worsen despite receiving treatment, Kim Tae Hee knew that at a certain time, she's going to lose her boyfriend permanently. For this reason, she already steeled herself to accept whatever will happen in a future without him. She also promised, not only to herself but also to her lover, that she will always take care of their precious child and won't let anything happen to her. However, that didn't happen after Jaejoong died. Tae Hee failed to do what she's ought to do as a mother because of the depression that blanketed her heart and soul. The innocent baby who was supposed to be her source of strength, became a memory she wanted to get rid of in order to save herself from the pain of losing the man that she loves. Due to this cowardly decision, Jessica Kim grew up believing that she truly is an adopted child of the wealthy Kim Jong Shin. She grew up thinking that her life story before she was adopted was like those of the children she met at the convent. Therefore, when it was finally revealed to her that the biological family she's been looking for has been with her all along, Jessica was utterly confused and angered. The young heiress felt betrayed by the people she valued a lot. She thought that Mr. Kim and Tae Hee are like those people who values a penurious person like her, not someone who are masking their mistakes with a kind deed.

"She hates me. She hates me so much eomma," Tae Hee uttered for the nth time while crying in her mother's arms. It's been almost a day since Jessica stormed out of CEO Kim's mansion. And until now, her daughter hasn't come back to her grandfather's place nor did she respond to anyone's calls and text messages. The only way for her to know the girl's condition was through the reports made by either Yuri and Sooyoung, or the bodyguards who constantly updates the worried Kim Jong Shin.

The wrathful look in Jessica's tear-stained face was what kept flashing on Tae Hee's mind since that time her daughter left the mansion. It's an image of her that was too painful to bear for a mother who regrets everything that she has done after her lover died.

"It's my fault," Tae Hee continued to express regretfully. "If I stayed by her side no matter how much she reminded me of her dad, none of these could have happened. I would be living happily by now, listening to her calling me her mom. It is I who ruined everything, eomma. I deserve this."

Mrs. Kim shushed her inconsolable daughter and gently patted her back. Her husband just sat silently by her side, not knowing what to do in order to help his daughter. "Everything will be fine Tae Hee," Mrs. Kim assured the crying woman. "One day, our Jessica will learn to forgive you and everyone who lied to her. Just don't give up on her this time. Show her how sincerely sorry you are for the decision you made in the past. Don't let anything stop you in pursuing your daughter's acceptance. Jae will guide you in this difficult time. Although your decision was upsetting for him, I know that he won't let you handle this problem alone. And we're here too. We'll always be here to help you, Tae Hee."

Kim Tae Hee burried her face further in her mother's arms as she wailed louder, hoping that it will help lessen the pain caused by Jessica's hatred towards her. Meanwhile, at the second floor of Kim Jong Shin's mansion, the old businessman sought comfort in the confines of Jaejoong's bedroom. Just like everyone else downstairs, he also feels dejected because of the reaction of his grandchild to the revelation of her true identity. Even if Tae Hee took all the blame to herself, Kim Jong Shin knows that he's also at fault for being possessive of his remaining successor. "I'm sorry son," he said while holding the portrait of his eldest child. "If I didn't agree to Tae Hee's request...or, if I didn't become selfish and coward when she was finally ready to take care of Jessica...your daughter will not be experiencing the pain she's going through right now. I'm also responsible for her suffering. It is I who made the situation worse for her and her mother. So I'm so sorry for hurting your precious daughter, Jaejoong."

Mr. Kim held the photo closer to his chest and cried. He repeated his apologies again and again. But as long as Jessica doesn't come back and forgive him, the pain in his heart will always remain.

---

"Are you feeling better now?" Yoona asked while caressing the cheek of her girlfriend who's still curled on their bed and thinking of everything that took place at the mansion. Jessica didn't answer such query so the doe-eyed girl proceeded with another question. "Are you hungry? It's already lunchtime. Yuri and Sooyoung-ssi prepared lunch before they left."

Jessica's eyes flicked when Yoona mentioned that her father's adopted sisters left the apartment. Though they also kept the secret from her, she doesn't blame them for doing it. They were just following orders, just like what Krystal and her parents did. "Where did they go?" Jessica asked in a weak voice.

"They went home to get some clothes. They'll be back this afternoon. Krystal is still here. She left earlier to go to her aunt's house but she came back after an hour. She wants to talk to you Sica. Is it alright if I'll let her in?"

The broken girl just nodded weakly so Yoona got up to call Krystal. When the latter has entered their room, Yoona excused herself to give the two a chance to talk in private. A deafening silence reigned between them first before the younger one mustered the courage to say what's on her mind.

"How are you, unnie?" Krystal asked but the older girl just remained mum while looking at her. "I'm sorry if you have to go through this. I wish there's something I can do to help you, unnie." It was only after these genuine words that Jessica said something in return.

"You don't have to do anything Krystal. You don't need to say sorry either. If there's someone between us who needs to apologize, it is me because I'm the reason why you needed to break up with Yuri." Krystal shook her head in disapproval of such statement and held Jessica's hand.

"It's not your fault, unnie. You didn't do anything to separate me and Yuri. It was solely Mr. Kim's decision because during that time, he still was not ready to tell you who you really are. Unnie, I know that you're feeling betrayed because of what he and your mother did. But I hope that you'd still be able to forgive them. Maybe not now, but later." Before she left the room, Krystal placed a photo album beside her once foster sister. "It belongs to your father. According to my mom, your dad loves taking pictures of you every week and compiling it in this album. He asked mom to give it you a month before he died."

For several minutes after Krystal left, the photo album remained unscanned. Until came such time that Jessica decided to see the memories kept in that book. There were photos not only those depicting her developmental milestones, but also of her interactions with her parents and the Jung couple. The shots were mostly candid and below every picture was a caption handwritten by the young Kim Jaejoong. At the back part of the album was an envelope enclosing a compact disk which contains a video recorded by her dad.

"Hello, Jessi," he began with a weak smile on his face. "By the time you see this, I'm no longer on earth to perform my duties as your father. I'm sorry if I couldn't be there for you, to watch you grow and guide you. How I wish I could stay longer. Everyday that's spent with you and your mom is a memory that's worthy to remember...and a memory that always gives me strength to fight back. But I know that my life story is only until here and that there's nothing I can do to change my fate. Therefore, I am thankful that even for a short period of time, God gave me a chance to experience the happiness of a father by blessing me with a daughter like you.

Jessi, the way you were conceived is something that may not be acceptable for some people. They might criticize you for that reason, but I hope that you won't let it affect you. I also hope that you could forgive me because it was my dream to be a father of my own child which caused you to be conceived artificially. I may not have succeeded in fulfilling my dreams because of the little time I have to live, but being a father to you made me feel like I achieved everything that I want in life. I felt so blessed especially during the first time that I held you in my arms.

I love you so much, Jessica. You and your mother are the most precious people in my life. Please do take care of your mom. Understand her in times that she becomes weak because of what happened to me. I am not gonna leave you, my precious angel. Though I am not there physically, please know that you always have me by your side to guide you."

Watching the video message of her dad made Jessica cry a river of tears. She misses her father so much. Even though she cannot remember their precious memories together because she's only a baby when he died, Jessica can feel how much her father loved her. She can feel how happy she was while resting in her father's arms.

"I wish she didn't have to go through this," Yoona said dejectedly to Krystal. Both of them were standing by the door and hearing Jessica's cry. It breaks Yoona's heart to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter