one: realisation

Boy Problems
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#1: Realisation

 

 

Jihoon types away on the black keyboard. Light is shining on his face as he files in a new profile into the ‘Boy Problems Portfolio’; a site where you can freely register and ask for love advice.

 

 

Its only been a week since the start of his work placement and he’s tired of it. All these childish requests for love advice, all thirteen to fifteen in years, are repetitive.

 

 

Jihoon struggles to remember the customers’ name. “Sorry, was it Kim Ji-hye?”

 

 

There’s a small shy voice coming through his ear piece. “Yes, it’s Kim Jihye.”

 

 

“Age?” Jihoon asks, profession underlining his tone as his fingers rests on top of the keys.

 

 

There’s a silence, and Jihoon is confused.

 

 

He repeats. “Can I get your age, Jihye-ssi?”

 

 

“F-Fifteen,” the young girl replies, her voice almost a whisper and Jihoon can’t help but chuckle lightly at her behaviour; she acts like she’s doing something illegal.

 

 

Another young one; young kids these days, he thinks as he types it in, shaking his head from his small stall in amusement. Jihoon continues to ask for more personal information before they reach the final question.

 

 

“Can I get your email to enter, so we can easily verify your account. After the verification, you’ll be fully able to use it without much trouble.”

 

 

Jihye recites her email naturally and Jihoon types it in before his mouse hovers over the ‘Create’ button in relief. He glances up to check the time, excitement flooding his body when he realises it’s almost the end of his shift.

 

 

Jihoon’s a little too enthusiastic. “Perfect. You’ve successfully created your own profile, and now able to ask for any advice related to love, and your relationships. If you are in need, you can also call 1800-BOYS and you’ll be directed to an expert for advice.”

 

 

“C-Could I ask a quick question? Advice for something,” the girl inquires and Jihoon immediately grabs the ‘Love Advice’ book from the drawer beside him, prepared to open it.

 

 

Jihoon hums. “Go ahead.”

 

 

“There’s this guy I like- but my friend also likes him. However, he confessed to me just last night and I told him I’ll consider it. I haven’t told my friend yet. What should I do?”

 

 

Jihoon’s lips press together in thought. His fingers move from the book and rests on the desk. “I think you need to confront your friend. Tell her that you like him and he has confessed. If you honestly like the guy, go out with him. Don’t sacrifice your happiness for others. Think about yourself too. If she's really your friend, she'll eventually will accept it and move on because that's life. You will lose friends throughout your school life, it's normal.”

 

 

The boy can hear the girl's awed mumble at his, surprisingly, sophisticated answer. Jihoon is also surprised at himself, he’s only been here for a week and he didn’t even check the ‘Love Advice’ book. He considers it as an improvement, little burst of happiness filling him.

 

 

The girl hums before exclaiming, “Thank you! Goodnight!”

 

 

The call is disconnected and Jihoon pulls off his ear piece when he feels his phone buzz silently. It’s his alarm to notify that it’s time to go home and he jumps up from his seat, very relieved to leave. Going to the company directly from his university is a tiresome journey but he can’t really complain since he is getting paid to do this.

 

 

Grabbing his bag from underneath his small work desk, he strides over to one of his new friendly co-workers, who’s unfortunately stuck for the night. Jihoon can’t help but think about telling Seungcheol about his new friend, he wishes he could see him quickly.

 

 

He stops himself.

 

 

He’s thinking about Seungcheol again. Jihoon pats his cheeks lightly, pink dusting as he remembers his friend, Mingyu’s, words from earlier this afternoon.

 

 

“The answer’s pretty obvious. Your mind is literally filled with Seungcheol- how he would react to this, how he’d like this, or maybe how he would laugh at this. You seem to worry about him even though no one brings him into the conversation. Your conversations always somehow end up being about that guy, or at least something related to him. Isn’t it obvious that you like him? Not just as a best friend or a childhood friend, but something more?”

 

 

Jihoon shakes away the small lecture from lunch. He stops by the small stall across his.

 

 

“Hey, I’m leaving now,” Jihoon says with a proud grin. He watches as his new friend finally hangs up before exhaling loudly, followed up by a low groan.

 

 

“Lucky you! I’m stuck

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter