eight: determination

Boy Problems
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

#8: Determination

 

 

There’s three days before Soonyoung’s performance and too many days since Seungcheol and Jihoon shared a real conversation. They mainly give each other subtle nods or quiet and short greetings. Jihoon still hasn’t asked anyone to come with him to the show. He stares blankly at the slightly crumpled tickets sitting on his desk.

 

 

His fingers accidentally curled around it too tightly as he ran away from Seungcheol’s home two weeks back.

 

 

He sighs, realising that today is a Wednesday, knowing that his shift ends later and he’s not speaking to Seungcheol, meaning he won’t have a ride home so he’ll have to walk in the dark. He frowns as he types into the computer.

 

 

Why did their friendship turn into this?

 

 

Jihoon feels his pager buzz violently and he knows he has to give out more advice on romance.

 

 

“Hello?” Jihoon picks up, his tone flat.

 

 

“Hello, I’m here for love advice. This is Boy Problems Inc. right?” a female voice asks, uncertain and lost.

 

 

Jihoon clears his throat. “Yes, you called the right place. What’s your dilemma for today?”

 

 

There’s a deep breath before the girl starts.

 

 

“What if I like someone I shouldn’t?” she asks, a little ambiguous with her question.

 

 

Jihoon’s lips press together. “You need to be a little more specific than that. It could depend on what you define what’s right, and what’s wrong; who you thinks it’s wrong to like, etc.”

 

 

The girl’s voice is almost a whisper. “Well, this is a secret but my teacher- my art teacher, who is seven years older than me. There are many times when we’re stuck in the same room alone after school because I usually like to stay back and paint. Our relationship kind of started there. We do all the touchy things but he hasn’t mentioned anything about feelings. I’m scared because I really like him but if I say anything about my feelings, I feel like he’ll leave me.”

 

 

“Oh,” Jihoon says, a little surprised. With quick rustles, his pale fingers flip to one of the pages of the thick love advice booklet. His eyes are searching for something useful. “Well, I suggest you can try hint him. Small things, slowly build up. If you’re really scared, test him to see whether he really cares.”

 

 

“I do!” the girl exasperates with a long exhale. “He just has a way with avoiding things. His answers are like really thought out and sometimes teasing. I’m not sure what to do. I’m scared we’ll be found out as well. It’s my last year too.”

 

 

“Confess to him,” Jihoon says after a long minute of silence.

 

 

The girl seems to waver at his advice. “I-I- well I’m scared of rejection.”

 

 

So am I, Jihoon thinks before shaking his head. Why does he have to think of Seungcheol now?

 

 

“You said it’s your last year at school, right? Isn’t it time to stop hesitating? You’ll just regret everything because you know you probably won’t see him after

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter