; CONNECT

Unity [ MONSTA X ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."

 

Changkyun’s were set on the figure in front of him, slowly flickering across their body. They were slumping their weight on one of their legs. Their clothing was tatty and not only was a cut on their face, but the fading purple and blue bruises littered their jaw. This lip was split and there were grazes on their hand.

His breathing was heavy and his eyes fleeting. They darted at either end of the street before slowly they lowered their hand from Changkyun’s lips. An elongated breath was released.

“You look awful,” Changkyun spoke deeply, “Mind telling me how you’re still alive Kihyun?”

“Really not the place or time,” the male bit back. “There have been some men congregating in their area over the past few days. I couldn’t understand what they were saying, but I did hear your name. Now, put the knife or gun away, whatever you’re holding.”

“It’s a knife,” Changkyun clarified. He didn’t know why. But in his state of shock, he wasn’t sure what else he was meant to say. Kihyun quickly pulled him down the walkway quickly, taking him towards the car he had arrived in.

Changkyun parted his lips to speak, but his voice was caught in his throat. A frown gradually creased on his forehead as he was pushed in the direction of the vehicle.

“Get in it’s not safe here,” the male ordered him as he darted around the other side. It took Changkyun a moment to gather his thoughts and pull open the car door. He slid into his seat, sliding the keys into the ignition. In the passenger seat, the beat-up boy was already riffling through the documents that Shownu had given him.

“That’s private information,” he began.

“Start driving,” Kihyun said absentmindedly. Scoffing quietly, Changkyun changed gears and turned out onto the street.

“I don’t care that you don’t believe this is the right time, but you have some serious explaining to do. Everyone thinks you’re dead.”

“I wanted to get in contact, but I don’t have a phone. I don’t have money. I didn’t know where to go. I don’t even know where anyone has gone,” Kihyun explained. “I thought maybe Minhyuk went to his mother’s place but it was empty. I have been staying in there for the last three days.”

“Where were you before then?” Changkyun questioned. “From what I’ve heard the ambush was nearly a week ago.”

“Hospital,” the boy answered. “I was being treated for smoke inhalation, cracked ribs and other obvious injuries.”

“How’d you get out?” Changkyun glanced over towards him quickly, before setting his eyes back on the road. Kihyun slowly closed the file and leaned his head back in the seat, letting out a soft breath. “Are you even wearing a seatbelt! It’s like you have a death wish.”

“I ran before the cops could interrogate me.”

“I don’t mean the hospital.”

“I was in a cell,” Kihyun uttered, “I stayed behind to tell as many people as I could to leave. I went down to the cells, searching for people. Then I encountered Jeong. He was pissed; it wasn’t pretty. He got me good.”

“Yes, I can see that,” Changkyun nodded his head.

“We fought,” Kihyun continued. “He hit his gun on the side of my head,” he gestured to where the healing scar was, “and I stumbled. Kneed me in the stomach and all but threw me against the bars.” Kihyun placed his hand against his stomach, that was when Changkyun noticed he was taking small, shallow breaths.

Changkyun felt the urge to comfort him, but he had to keep his eyes on the road. If he was honest, he didn’t know where he was taking them. He was just driving away from the location and to hopeful safety.

“Kicked me a number of times, grabbed me by the hair and shoved me into one of the cells. I don’t think he realised he didn’t lock the door, but at the time my body felt too weak to lift up. I was fading in and out of blackness. The next thing I remember was a loud crashing noise and the roar of fire.”

“The explosion,” Changkyun spoke quietly.

“I guess so,” Kihyun replied. “The cells didn’t take much damage; they’re pretty much underground and the walls are made of stone. Eventually I managed to pull myself up. The building was still smouldering and the air was filled with smoke. I managed to make it out I think. Everything is a bit hazy. I woke up in a hospital bed.”

The male fell silent, his eyes flickering towards the window. His muscles still ached and his cuts stung. Kihyun couldn’t feel each individual bruise as it blurred into one dull pain. His throat felt as though it was burning and he hadn’t eaten properly in a few days. His head throbbed by his temples and his shoulders were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter