; EXCHANGE

Unity [ MONSTA X ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth."

 

Minhyuk stared back at Jeong’s clouded, dark eyes, his facial expression remaining. He was trying to evoke a reaction from him, he told himself. After a suspended pause he exhaled a quiet laugh and leaned back.

“Even if I thought you were telling the truth, which I suspect you’re not, why would that pose any interest to me?” Minhyuk enquired.

“Because your mother wasn’t the one that left you, your father ran off with you,” Jeong revealed. “Your father needed to preserve his dynasty. Your mother on the other hand wanted nothing to do with the Blooded Shadows, she didn’t want her son to have anything to do with your father’s gang.”

“You make a compelling statement,” Minhyuk started, “Stating that my father would lie to me about her.”

“You believe I’m lying? I suppose I should expect that. I shall give a few moments before you make up your mind. I am willing to share what I know, but I require something from you in return. Although I must warn you, decide quickly or your window of opportunity in discovering the whereabouts of your mother will be gone.” Jeong stood up, straightening his pinstriped suit, his lips curled up into a smile. He stepped over towards a long bench where wine glasses and a murky bottle of alcohol rested.

Minhyuk heard the sound of the liquid being poured and refused to look in the direction. Instead, his eyes flickered towards the door. There would no doubt be some of Jeong’s members standing outside the door in case anything went wrong. They would be armed though, he thought. Even if he managed to get a hold of one of the weapons he didn’t think he would be able to get out of the building without sustaining injury.

There was a nagging feeling though at the back of his mind caused by the potential information that Jeong may know. The man moved before him, crimson liquid in his glass. He crossed his legs as he sat across from him, a look of interest framing his face. He took a lethargic sip from the rim of his cup, allowing it to rest between his fingers.

“Assuming I told you the location, when would I expect to find out the whereabouts of my mother?” Minhyuk quizzed.

“After I have it in my possession,” Jeong responded instantaneously.

“Then I can’t help you,” Minhyuk shrugged his shoulders. The older man seemed taken back by the younger boy’s response and lowered his glass down onto the table between them. “I will exchange my information for yours. I expect to receive it promptly.”

“You’re trying to bargain with me?”

“You have something I want, I have something you want. It only makes sense to exchange information at the same time.” Jeong frowned before pulling out a notebook and pen from the inside pocket of his jacket. He scratched a few words down onto the parchment before tearing it off, keeping the paper in his hand. He passed the book and pen to Minhyuk.

“Write down the location. We’ll pass over our notes at the same time. I swear, I won’t pull any tricks. Neither should you, you are still in my sector.” he said. Minhyuk stared at him with a quizzical look before he scrawled down the cemetery that his family’s vault resided at. He just had to hope that Kihyun had managed to get there first.

Following Jeong’s actions, he tore the paper from the pad slowly. He gripped the paper firmly in his hand and the two men silently watched one another. His fingers wrapped around the edge of the paper in Jeong’s hand as the man grabbed the parchment in his hand. Minhyuk could feel his heart thump heavily in chest as he released the paper.

He drew his hand back, the new note in his hand. Minhyuk peered down at the black ink messily written between the lines; the address scrawled down as promised. He his dry lip, forgetting the pain in his shoulder. He hadn’t realised who close his mother had been to him. She resided in the very same city.

“A cemetery?” Jeong exclaimed.

“Yes,” Minhyuk replied, folding his paper in half, tucking it out of sight. “My family’s crypt is located there.”

“Well then, perhaps we should go and visit your dear father,” Jeong jeered. Minhyuk swiftly rose to his feet. “It’s been some time hasn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter