The Set Up

Unexpected Places

~September 13~

{Adore U Cafe}

 

“Seriously hyung? This is where you were taking me?” They came to a stop outside of the small, pastel painted building, Wonwoo unfortunately finally letting go of Mingyu’s wrist.

“Shut up. I wanted cake and you wanted to hang out.” He just shrugged, seemingly unaffected by Mingyu's negativity. Mingyu, on the other hand, huffed in annoyance. This was not quite what he'd envisioned, in fact there was a distinct lack of candles or cherry blossoms or Wonwoo staring deeply into his eyes (not that he'd really been expecting all that but he had been expecting something a little bit more, well, special).

Wonwoo noticed the other boy’s disappointment and totally didn't care, like at all. Which is exactly why he suddenly nudged his arm in an incredibly physically affectionate manner (incredibly physically affectionate for Wonwoo, for the average human it was akin to accidentally brushing against someone in a subway station, but hey, at least he was trying, right?).

“Com’on, I'll buy you anything you want?” He wiggled his eyebrows enticingly.

What the hell body? GET YOURSELF UNDER CONTROL YOU THIRSTY HO! Just because he has a godlike somewhat-attractive face doesn't mean you can throw yourself at him like this!!!” Wonwoo panicked, his inner voice was right, he was being overly eager. The other boy might be just the tiniest bit attractive (he was definitely more than a ‘tiny bit’ attractive, but Wonwoo wasn't quite ready to admit to that yet) but that didn’t give him the right to drool over him like a preteen girl.

On the contrary, Mingyu didn't think that Wonwoo was being overly eager at all. In fact, he was pretty sure that if people could actually die from happiness, then he'd be a goner. Wonwoo just told him that he'd buy him something. Not only that, but he'd buy him whatever he wanted! He couldn't stop the huge grin from spreading across his face.

“Really? You promise that you won't take that back later?” He looked so much like a puppy that the older boy just sighed in defeat.

“Yes.”

“YOU’RE THE BEST HYUNG!!!” Mingyu cried, throwing his arms around Wonwoo’s neck and pulling him in for a hug that lasted approximately 2.7 seconds (but felt like an hour) before running into the shop. Wonwoo, however, was frozen in place trying his very best to ignore the rapid thumping of his chest and the way his body suddenly felt hot. Very hot. After a moment he recovered, shaking his head before following the younger into the story. This was bad, very bad.

Today 3:39 PM

Me

> JUUUUUUNNNN

> HALP

> I'M PRETTY SURE I'M DYING

 

Princess Jun Jun

> Wht do u want Ming?

> I'm with Hao

> U better have smth pretty important to say

 

Me

> I DID IT HYUNG

> I’M HANGING OUT WITH WONWOO

> ALONE

> AT A CAFE

 

Princess Jun Jun

> SRSLY?

> This is Wonwoo from AY right?

> The 1 who’s friends w/Hao?

> The 1 he lovingly refers to as “the emo one”?

> The 1 u won't shut up about?

 

Me

> YUP

> \(^○^)人(^○^)/

> I'm so happy

> Does this count as a date?

 

Princess Jun Jun

> Circumstance?

 

Me

> We were on break and

 

Mingyu paused for a moment, trying to think of a way to word the following turn of events in a more positive, if not entirely truthful light. Smiling he picked his phone back up, he had the perfect answer

 

Me

> We just spontaneously decided to go get food together

 

Princess Jun Jun

> Y does it feel like ur not telling the truth??

> I bet you actually bugged him until he agreed 2 platonically eat lunch with u

 

Me

> …

> I actually hate you right now

 

Princess Jun Jun

> hey Hao agrees w/me

> he says “annoying Won until he takes you smwhere doesn't count as a date”

> also hi

> Minghao says hi

 

Me

> ???

> U TOLD HAO??

> U LITTLE SH*T

> I THOUGHT U SWORE TO SECRECY

> I TRUSTED U

 

Princess Jun Jun

> overreact much?

> HA! He just rolled his eyes at you

> How does it feel???

> Also I so did not tell him

> He found out on his own

> Apparently you “follow Won around like a lovesick puppy”

 

Me

> I so do not need your sass rn

> Anyways

> Does it count if he offered to pay for me?

 

Just as his phone dinged again, Wonwoo returned from purchasing their food, carrying two plates, one with a slice of caramel cake and one with a slice of chocolate.

“Shouldn't you answer that?” Wonwoo eyed the other boy’s phone as said boy hastily tried to shove it back in his pocket.

“Nah it's not important anyways.” He played it off coolly, acting as if it was nothing, when in reality he was dying on the inside.

YAAAAHHH Kim Mingyu get cho head in da game! Let's knock his socks off on this not-a-date-date!”

“Right! Good plan me! Break on three! One! Two! Three! FIGHTING!!!” Mingyu grinned reaching for his chocolate cake  as if he didn't just have an internal pep talk with himself.

“Are you okay? You're acting a little strange?” Wonwoo frowned slightly as he spoke and Mingyu practically died of happiness. Wonwoo was paying enough attention to him to notice that he was acting strange. Better yet, the older boy cared enough to comment on it. He merely grinned like a lunatic, which was starting to freak said older boy out.

In fact, Wonwoo couldn't help but think back to his initial impression of Mingyu and how he disliked him for being strangely happy all the time. He tilted his chin as he studied the boy in front of him, something was definitely up and he'd be damned if he didn't figure out what it was.

 

~September 30~

{Aju Nice Ice Cream}

 

Chan groaned, taking a moment to stretch his stiff limbs, his ridiculously sore muscles practically screaming in protest. Not only had he been working hard on a big surprise for his friends lately, but he'd also been getting very little sleep. Something about trying to juggle hours of homework with hours of practice and work was just not going very well for him [A/N *whispers I feel that before collapsing into a sobbing, incredibly stressed heap*].

“You okay?” He looked up to find one of his co workers staring at him. “I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you don't look so hot. Maybe you should go home?”

“Nah, just another-” he was cut off by a vicious cough that ripped through his body. “Late night.” He finished, convincing nobody that he was, in fact, okay.

“Are you sure you're not sick? There's a plague going around campus right now. Half my business class- well half of the kids that actually bother to show up anyways- was sick yesterday.”

“NOOOOOO! Don't get me sick Chan!” His other co worker, Taehyung practically squealed. “I have too much crap to put up with anyways. Plus I won't be able to see my Kookie!” He dragged Jungkook into a headlock, which the much stronger younger boy easily fought his way out of.

“Shut up Tae, just because he's sick doesn't mean he's going to infect all of us!” Jungkook’s point was somewhat weakened by Chan collapsing into another coughing fit, causing Taehyung to jump back from him. “Well, I'd still visit you even if you were sick, happy?

“Depends- would you take care of me?” Taehyung wiggled his eyebrows and Jungkook groaned. Chan just watched the exchange with interest. In his opinion it was ridiculously obvious that the boys liked each other (working there for five months had pretty much proved that to be true). They had one of those weird relationship dynamics hovering on the edge of friendship where they're both completely in love with each other.

“Tae, I'm so not buying you ice cream or any other kind of sweets just because ‘you're sick” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

“I THOUGHT YOU LOVED MEEEEE!”

“Nope. Besides what would Jin-hyung say if I gave a sick human candy?”

“What a wonderful idea! Great job taking care of him, Kookie!”

“You and I both know that isn't true.”

“I'm going to have to agree with Jungkook-hyung on this one,” Chan piped up. “I mean, I’ve only met Jin-hyung once but he’s definitely the responsible motherly type.”

He smiled as he thought of when he met Jin and the rest of his co workers’ friends. Jeonghan and Jisoo had also been there and while Jisoo was chatting with Hansol (who was ironically enough absent today- he was taking a sick day), Jin had been cooing over how adorable Chan was and asking him all kinds of motherly questions. Chan had never seen anyone glare as hard as Jeonghan was glaring at Jin (he was afraid that the older boy was trying to steal his child). They had worked it out in the end, but it was still funny to think about.

“SICK PEOPLE DO NOT GET A VOTE!” Taehyung practically screamed, eliciting a laugh from Jungkook and causing Chan to stick his tongue out at him.

“ to , but I'm not sick!” He insisted and the older boys eyed him skeptically. “Really! I swear!” His protests were cut off by a customer entering the shop. She was rather pretty with long brown hair and bangs. Chan couldn't quite put his finger on it, but she seemed familiar from somewhere. Shrugging off the sense of deja vu, he smiled brightly.

“Hello and welcome to Aju Nice Ice, what can I get for you today?”

“Um… Can I just have a small vanilla milkshake and… Are you okay?” In the middle of ordering, Chan had broken into another coughing fit.

“Is he okay?” She looked past him, staring at Jungkook instead.

“Oh, hey Yuju! I didn't see you come in. And, to answer your question, no he is not okay. He's obviously sick but he doesn't want to admit it and go home.”

“Just a reminder- he is standing right here!” Chan groaned and the girl, Yuju, smiled.

That's it!

“Hey, are you’re a second year at Pledis, right?”

“Yeah, why?” Yuju answered, a little bit uncertainly.

“And you're a multi-media major?” He asked and she just nodded in response, causing a grin to break out across his face. “Sweet! You did a project with my hyung Seokmin last semester!” What he didn't mention was how Seokmin had excessively talked about her for about a week and a half after. It was the most Chan had ever heard him talk about a girl.

“Really? Dokyeomie mentioned it?” He didn't miss the slight pink in her cheeks as she spoke. In response, he only nodded slightly- why were these things only obvious to him?

 

~October 4~

{Gas Station Parking Lot, 5:00 AM}

 

Jisoo fidgeted nervously, taking a sip from his third hot cocoa of the day. He had already been up for an hour finalizing the plans for a certain angel’s special day. Now all that was left was for his and Jeonghan’s friends to arrive in order to finalize everything. He realized that meeting in a somewhat sketchy parking lot at 5:00 am on a Tuesday morning might be a lot to ask of their friends but it was the first of Jeonghan’s birthdays that they were actually spending together in person and he just really wanted to make it special.

Somewhat surprisingly, the first to arrive were Soonyoung and a ridiculously  sleepy Jihoon, who he was practically carrying. They were followed soon after by an oddly cheerful and awake Mingyu, an energetic Seokmin, a grumpy morning Hansol  (Seungkwan had been sleep singing again, something that really wasn't appreciated at 2 am), a lovey-dovey Jun, an attempting to evade his boyfriend’s displays of PDA  Minghao, a freshly showered Seungcheol, and Chan. A couple of others continued trickling in until eventually Jisoo smiled happily.

“Now that we’re all here, I'd just like to start out by thanking you for meeting me here despite the obvious inconvenience. I really appreciate it and I'm sure that it will mean a lot to Hannie once he finds out what you've all been through.”

“Today is a surprise. He doesn't know what we're doing, and under no circumstances will he find out. Do I make myself clear?” The onlookers shuddered as he glared at the the crowd in a decidedly un-Jisoo-like fashion. For just a brief second Jisoo had actually seemed scary.

“Good! Moving on, I'm not sure how many of you really know each other, but we’ll have plenty of time for getting to know each other later on. Right now, it's planning time!”  Seokmin let out a whoop, which Jisoo smiled at him for. He'd be darned if he didn't make this Jeonghan’s best birthday yet!

*******

2 ½ hours, 37 cups of coffee, and too many yawns to count later, they were finally done. They had long since relocated to the nearest coffee shop, leaving the gas station and frightened customers behind (for some reason several people had thought that they were a gang). Jisoo was happy, the plans were flippin’ brilliant and the gift that he'd spent over a month working on was finally completed. He was proud to say that he'd done his job as the boyfriend of an angel. He smiled brightly, staring down at his nth cup of hot chocolate- Jeonghan would just be getting up (he had an early morning class, something that he complained about a lot). The older boy would be annoyed that Jisoo wasn't there, he always was. But he'd see the note which Jisoo had left him about being having to meet with a professor and then being called into work early, he'd eat the breakfast Jisoo had made (he always made Jeonghan breakfast when he wasn't there for them to eat together), and then he'd go to his class. That would give them enough time to properly prepare everything. As if on cue, his phone dinged, he didn't even have to look to know who was texting him.

Today 7:37 AM

Hannie

> BAAAABBBBBEEEEEEE

> where r u?

> It’s too early to be alone

 

Me

> had to meet with my lit professor about this term’s paper

> also I got an emergency call from work

> I have to go in today

> I'm so sorry

> I really wanted to make your first birthday with us actually, physically together special

> :(

 

Hannie

> U still made me a cake tho, right?

 

Me

> Of course! :)

> DON’T HAVE ANY FOR BREAKFAST

 

Hannie

> But that's half the fun :(

> Sometimes u can be such a hassle

> ugh

 

Me

> Excuse me?

> I should tell my mom about what you just said

> Maybe then she wouldn't think you were quite so angelic

> She says “Happy Birthday” by the way

 

Hannie

> HA!!

> Ur mom loves me

> Like that would ever change

> Also tell her that I say thanks

> Also also

> HONG JISOO

> YOU MADE ME PANCAKES???

> I LOVE YOU <3

 

Me

> Happy Birthday Jeonghan :)

> I love you too

> Have a great day!!!

> xoxoxo

 

Hannie

> U too baby

> Can't wait till u get home ;)

 

Me

> Bye hannie

> Enjoy your birthday

> You deserve the best in the entire world <3

 

Hannie

> I already have the best in the entire world :)

> …

> Lol

> You’re blushing right now, aren’t you?

 

Me

> No…

> Fine.

> I am.

> But only a little

 

Hannie

> Nope

> Shua, I know u

> You’re red as a tomato

 

Me

>...

> BYE JEONGHAN

 

    Jeonghan smirked as he set down his phone, right next to the plate of red velvet [A/N DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB! Sorry I couldn’t resist] pancakes. They were sweet, heavenly, and bright red- just like his boyfriend, who he quite enjoyed making flustered. On one hand, he was disappointed that he wouldn’t be able to spend the majority of his birthday the way that he had planned (curled up with Jisoo and shotgunning cupcakes), but on the other he was happy just to be together with his boyfriend. Besides he didn’t mind spending sometime with his friends as well. The past year he had gone out with his friends, gotten pretty just a little drunk (much to everyone’s amusement), then skyped with Jisoo until 4 AM. Jisoo had found the intoxicated version of him to be adorable (he was ridiculously happy, like Seokmin happy, and found absolutely everything to be hilarious). Although he had been hoping for something a bit more special, he knew that everything would work out well in the end.

    Finishing the pancakes, he glanced at the clock. Immediately his stomach plummeted. SHEET (gosh darnit Jisoo, even affecting his ability to swear within his own head!!!). His class started in 25 minutes and he was nowhere near ready yet.

    After scrambling to get dressed and presentable (brushing his hair and tying it back in a neat ponytail) he had eventually decided to wear a simple beige fluffy sweater and ripped skinny jeans. Among his clothes, he had found a small present (obviously the work of Jisoo, that boy was so adorable), which he had shoved in his pocket before sprinting out the door.

    One of the perks of being attractive and referred to all across campus as “The Angel of the Art Department” was that a lot of people knew his birthday. Like a lot of people. So his sprint across the campus at around 7:55 AM was made somewhat more enjoyable by the fact that almost everyone was yelling “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” as he ran past. To be completely honest, he had no clue who a solid 85% (if not higher) of them were, but it still felt nice, nonetheless.

He practically burst through the door to the lecture hall, slowing to a walk. Fortunately it was one of his larger classes. One of the mandatory ones with just over a hundred people so that his professor wouldn't notice that he was late. Or so he thought.

“Nice of you to finally join us Mr. Yoon.” He quickly stammered an apology, flushing slightly before taking his customary seat in the back. It was one of his least favorite classes, something that was partially due to the distinct lack of any of his friends present as well as the fact that he hated math with a passion. Why the fudge muffins should an art major have to take advanced math?

Settling in and emotionally preparing himself for the hell that is discrete math, he pulled out the small present that Jisoo had left for him, placing the slightly battered (it was damaged in the sprint to class) box on the desk. He was too nervous, but at the same time excited, to open it. Rather than risk it, Jeonghan opted instead to intensely stare at it for 20 minutes as if expecting it to miraculously open itself. Spoiler alert: it didn't. He would have continued to stare, had his professor not called him out on his lack of attention.

Frowning slightly, he slipped the box into his lap under the desk, lest the professor see and attempt to take it from him.

Better to open it now then wait he reasoned, but for some reason his hands shook as he untied the small bow. Jisoo was the best at these kind of things, giving sweet, meaningful gifts. The kind of things that might not really seem like much but show the depth of his feelings..

Carefully removing the paper, he slowly lifted the lid, peeking inside. He gasped and snapped the box shut, his face turning a brilliant red, mouth parting in a stupidly happy grin. It was a dumb gift, it truly was. The kind of small knick-knack that you might see in the dollar section of a store, but still it had meaning. A small, silver keychain in the shape of a sun. A post-it note also accompanied the gift.

“To my own little sun: Don’t get too excited yet, the main gift is still to come! <3 -J” He chuckled as he read it, it was typical of Jisoo to be this cheesy. Jeonghan couldn’t wait to see his boyfriend once class had ended.

Today 10:00 AM

Me

> On my way home now

> Can’t wait to see you! ^-^

 

Shua Bunny

> I won’t be home until later :/

> I’m really sorry but everyone at work is sick and they need me here a little longer. I feel awful about it, but it’s too busy for me to leave.

> I’ll make it up to you later, I promise.

 

Jeonghan couldn’t help the way his heart sunk when he read Jisoo’s text. It’s not his fault, he thought as he stared disappointedly at his screen. These things just happen sometimes.

 

Shua Bunny

> How’s your birthday going?

 

Me

> Pretty good

> So many people have wished me ‘Happy Birthday’ u don’t even know

> I wish I could be with u tho

> I got your gift.

> I miss u :’(

 

Shua Bunny

> Did you like it?

> I wish I could be with u too :’(

 

Me

> Ofc I loved it!

> Although I have to dispute the sun comment

> If anything, you’re my sun ;)

 

Shua Bunny

> …

> I’m glad you liked it

 

Me

> It seemed like a couple's item though

> Just sayin’

 

Shua Bunny

> No it wasn’t

 

Me

> Lol

> I’m totally right, aren’t I?

 

Shua Bunny

> No. Nope. Definitely not.

 

Me

> Be honest babe.

> Isn’t lying a sin or smth?

 

Shua Bunny

> Fine

> Maybe it is one...

> Maybe I also have a keychain...

 

Me

> I KNEW IT

> I HAVE A COUPLE’S KEYCHAIN

> HONG JISOO, MY BEAUTIFUL BOYFRIEND, BOUGHT ME A COUPLE’S KEYCHAIN

 

Shua Bunny

> Shut up

> It’s not that big of a deal…

 

Me

> Yes it is Jisoo

> You never want to do this stuff with me

> Remember the sweaters

 

Shua Bunny

> I just don’t think we need to go around wearing matching clothing in order to validate our relationship.

> Plus I feel like it makes our single friends feel lonely

> I don’t want them to feel bad because of our love

 

Me

> Lol

> Ur so sweet

> But why would wearing a sweater change anything?

> We’re practically married and they know that

> If anything it’d be the other stuff :3

> Anyways

> Thanks for the gift, ILY

> Also wht does urs look like?

 

Shua Bunny

> …

> It’s a moon

> I love you too

> I hope you have an amazing birthday worthy of the wonderful person that you are. You’ll get your real gift when I get home.

 

Me

> Does that mean what I think it does? :)))

 

Shua Bunny

> HANNIE NO

 

Me

> Ur no fun :(

 

Shua Bunny

> Sorry, but I have to go

> I promise that you’ll love it

 

Me

> Don’t leave meeeeeeeee

> Jisoooooooo

> I hate u

 

Shua Bunny

> I love you too!

> xoxoxo

 

Me

> What time will u be home?

 

Shua Bunny

> Probably around 4

> Hang out with the guys or smth

 

Me

> I don’t wanna hang out w/them

> I wanna be with u

> [insert crying emoji here]

 

Shua Bunny

> I’m sorry

> I wish I was with of you too

> See you at four

> xoxoxo

 

Jisoo couldn’t help but feel a pang of sadness after sending the last text. He felt bad for deceiving his boyfriend. It would all be worth it in the end, however, and Jeonghan would forgive him. Hopefully.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[A/N]

I know it’s late, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEONGHAN!!! ^-^

 

Also thank you so much for all the lovely comments and subscribers! They make me so happy you don't even know!