Cappuccino Hearts

Unexpected Places

Seokmin POV

All things considered, it was a slow night at Mansae’s. Seokmin figured that it was probably due to the fact that the fall semester didn’t start for another few days and people had yet to fall into the stressful-panic induced cycle of getting little to no sleep and stuffing their bodies with cheap unhealthy food. It was also a Thursday, which, with the exception of finals season, was traditionally a slower night.

Seokmin had been working at Mansae’s for a grand total of nine months and during that time had seen some pretty unusual things ranging from zombie-like twenty-somethings to mental breakdowns in the middle of a meal, and, of course, his all time favorite- someone who he was convinced was sleepwalking buying a pizza (he had told Jihoon about it later, but the older boy had dismissed it as impossible to which he had insisted that he really did see it. Then Jihoon demanded proof and Seokmin had clutched at his heart and dramatically asked “Don’t you trust me??” Jihoon had of course said “no” and Seokmin had pretended to feint from the shock, leaving both of them laughing)

It was actually a pretty good job, however, all things considered. His boss was very understanding and flexible about hours and he got paid way more than he probably should. Plus he got discounted pizza and his co-workers were hilarious.

It was almost 9:00 when he spotted two familiar colorful heads of hair bouncing past the frosted windows. He smiled as his friends burst into the shop, accompanied by a boy with admittedly angelic looks and Jisoo. Ahhhh, he thought. That must be Jisoo’s boyfriend, the one he talks about all the time.

“Hey Seokmin.” Jisoo smiled and the other boys, with the exception of Jeonghan, stared at him with surprise.

“You two know each other?” Soonyoung questioned.

“Yeah, we met a couple months ago at school, Jisoo’s in my vocals class. At the time he was pretty new to Korea so I offered to help him out. We’ve been friends since.” Seokmin turned his attention to the long-haired boy. “You must be Jeonghan,” he smiled warmly, extending his hand over the counter, which the other boy took. “Trust me, Jisoo’s told me a lot about you.”

Jeonghan laughed, a light, airy sound. “It’s a pleasure.”

“Anyways, how do you guys know each other?”

“They’re our new neighbors.” Jihoon explained, and Soonyoung jumped in excitedly.

“Yeah, they said they’d buy us pizza as a welcome gift!” Seokmin laughed at the boy’s enthusiasm.

“What can I get for you?”

After a few minutes of heated debate, the group eventually ended up with two large pizzas, each with a spattering of unusual toppings. Conversation had been flowing freely and the boys were laughing frequently. Seokmin had joined them after his co-worker, Hoseok, had insisted that he’d be able to handle the “massive crowds” by himself.

“Seriously, don’t you think that Seungkwan would just love them?” Soonyoung asked Seokmin, as he also knew the soon-to-be first year. The three of them had gone to the same high school together, but Seungkwan had been in the year below them. Seokmin tapped his chin thoughtfully.

“I think you’re right, he’d definitely love that Jisoo speaks English. He’s very proud of his English-speaking capabilities.” Soonyoung and Jihoon snickered. Jihoon had met Seungkwan a handful of times when he’d visited Soonyoung and Seokmin. “You should see if he can come out.”

    “You guys would definitely love him,” Soonyoung pulled out his phone, turning back to Jisoo and Jeonghan. “He’s a bit of a character, but he’s absolutely hilarious and is just generally one of the, how should I put this, most fabulous people I have ever met.”

 

Today 9:38 PM

Me

> Water you doing right now?

 

Booyeonce

> Y?

 

Me

> At Mansea’s w/Jihoonie and Seok.

> Also our new neighbors are here

> They’re hilarious

> They also bought us Pizza!!!! ヽ(゚ー゚*ヽ)ヽ(*゚ー゚*)ノ(ノ*゚ー゚)ノ

> You should come, you’d love them!
> Jisoo speaks English ;)

 

Booyeonce

> SRSLY???

> Wish I could

> Roommate just showed up

 

Me

>The mysterious one who you couldn’t get into contact with?

> How is he?

> Is he nice?

> Will he buy you food?
 

Booyeonce

> He low key looks like Leo Dicaprio (・ω・)

> He seems quiet

> I have my work cut out for me >:)

 

Me

> Be nice

> Don’t terrorize him too much

 

Booyeonce

> I’m hurt. I’m very nice!

> Don’t you trust meeeee????

 

Me

> …

> Do I have to answer that?

 

 

Seungkwan/Hansol POV

    Seungkwan shoved his phone under his pillow as the door to his dorm room opened again, his new roommate carrying another box. Objectively speaking, the boy was attractive with medium-length light brown hair that was artistically swept back from his face. He looked rather foreign as well, with a blend of Western and Korean features.

    “Do you want some help? I’m Boo Seungkwan, by the way.” He smiled, cheerfully greeting the other boy.

    “I’ll be fine, I’ve only got one more box after this.” He placed the box on his bare bed. “I’m Chwe Hansol.” Despite his foreign looks, he spoke perfect Korean.

    “Soooo… Where are you from?” Seungkwan asked and immediately wished he hadn’t, the other boy was probably sick of being asked that. In order to cover up his mistake, he barely paused as he rambled on. “I’m from Jeju. It’s a lovely place, the beaches are just gorgeous. It’s the perfect spot to visit on vacation. Have you ever been there? I don’t think many people have and I’m always surprised by that. I guess they just don’t recognize the pure awesomeness that is Jeju.” Seungkwan glanced nervously at the other boy to see how he had reacted. To his surprise, Hansol was laughing quietly.

    “I’m half American, if that’s what you’re asking. You don’t have to worry, it’s not really a sensitive subject, although it can get a bit annoying at times.” Seungkwan was about to open his mouth when the other boy smiled and started talking again. “I was born in New York, but my family moved to Korea when I was five. Plus my dad’s Korean. That’s why I speak the language so well- I’m culturally more Korean than American.” Seungkwan’s face flushed a little, embarrassed that Hansol had seen right through him. He remained embarrassed  for about .0002375 seconds before he realized what that meant. Hansol spoke English.

    “KIMBAP BE KIDDING?” He jumped up excitedly. “MY NAME IS SEUNGKWAN AND I LOVE AMERICA!” Hansol stared at him for about .0001375 seconds before bursting out laughing at his heavily accented English.

    ‘What,” He managed to gasp out between peals of laughter. “What was that?”

“EXCUSEEEE MEEEEEEE! MY ENGLISH IS VERY HIGH QUALITY!!!” By this point Hansol had fallen back onto his bed laughing as he clutched at his sides . He didn’t even know why he found it so funny. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he was running on two and a half hours of sleep or the stress from moving or any number of things, but something about seeing the part excited, part dumbfounded look on the other boy’s face had him almost in tears.

Seungkwan stared at his cackling mess of a roommate and felt himself breakout into a wide grin. This year wasn’t going to be bad at all, in fact he found himself quite looking forward to it.

 

 

Wonwoo/Mingyu POV

    This year was going to stink. No, scratch that, it was going to . Wonwoo stared at the new-trainee who was all too eager to be working at a coffee shop at 10:30 PM. True, Ah Yeah Coffee was a good place to work (it was probably his favorite job that he’d ever had) but it wasn’t worth being that happy about. Nothing was worth being that happy about at this time of night except for being curled up in bed with a good book. Learning how to make shapes in the foam of cappuccinos was certainly not one of the things that he thought should make anyone happy, let alone at 10:30.

    “Do you think you can try it on your own now?” Wonwoo looked blankly at the other boy who nodded and smiled brightly. Despite himself and the annoyance he felt at that kind of happiness when he was tired, he had to admit that the other boy was attractive. Scratch that, he was gorgeous- possibly the most beautiful boy Wonwoo had ever seen. Not that it meant anything, of course.

From what Wonwoo had seen, Mingyu was also loud, outgoing, and freakishly happy. To put it frankly, he was everything that Wonwoo hated. Sure the older boy was friends with a few others of a similar type to Mingyu, but it was a highly select group and those friendships were tried and true. There was no reason for Wonwoo to like him, but despite himself he found something oddly intriguing about the taller boy. Something that made Wonwoo want to get to know him- not that that would ever happen, of course.

*******

    Kim Mingyu was going into his second year at Pledis University, much like the rather stoic barista currently standing beside him. Jeon Wonwoo, a literature major- a rather fitting choice from what he’d seen so far of his current cappuccino mentor. Whenever he was on break, he always had his nose stuck in a book- not that Mingyu had noticed. What he had noticed was the boy’s thick, dark lashes and deep, dark brown eyes that felt like they were staring directly into your soul when he was looking at you. The other boy also had the best poker face Mingyu had ever seen and he was quite capable of keeping it in place for hours as he watched you struggle with the espresso machine. It made him wonder what the older boy was really thinking. But more importantly it made him wonder how he had never seen Wonwoo around campus before.

    Sure they probably ran in different social circles, but Mingyu doubted that he could of missed someone as perfect as Wonwoo. He didn’t know why the word ‘perfect’ popped into his head while thinking about Wonwoo. Sure objectively speaking he was good looking, heck Mingyu would even go as far as to call him hot- smokin’ hot, but the word perfect still surprised him. Nevertheless, he pushed it from his mind as he focused on the task at hand, attempting to somehow draw (?) a heart in the foam of a steaming cappuccino. It was proving to be far more difficult than it looked.

13 minutes, 3 sighs from Wonwoo, and 1 spilled drink later, Mingyu had been through 17 cappuccinos and still had no success.

“That’s it, I give up.” Wonwoo declared staring at the 17 cups of cooling beverage sitting before the taller, slightly coffee-soaked boy. “Don’t ever try Cappuccino art. Just get me or Minghao to do it.”

“I’m sorry. I honestly tried my best, I swear.” Mingyu looked absolutely miserable, almost like a puppy that had just been scolded.

“Whatever.” Wonwoo sighed once again and tried to ignore the pang of guilt that he felt in his chest as the other boy seemed to grow even more depressed. “Could you cover the register for a bit? I just need a break for a minute.” Mingyu nodded enthusiastically, a bit of brightness returning to his face at being entrusted with something as serious as the register.

Once in the break room, Wonwoo practically flung himself into a chair. The skinny, pointy-eared boy sitting across from him, looked up from his phone and smiled.

“What is it now hyung?” Minghao laughed at the older boy’s dramatic sigh.

“I swear to god that boy’s going to be the death of me. I mean 13 minutes? It’s just a heart- two curved lines.”

“Who, Mingyu?” Wonwoo nodded and the younger boy smiled knowingly. “It didn’t seem to bother you when you taught me, and that took nearly twice as long.” It was true the chinese boy was good at many things, but cappuccino art certainly wasn’t one of them. It had taken him well over twenty minutes to learn the heart and nearly an hour to perfect the tricky flower. It had taken Jeon Wonwoo all of 10 minutes.

“I don’t know, he’s just so happy, all the time. It’s kind of weird- I mean it’s basically 11 o’clock.” Minghao raised an eyebrow and muttered something in chinese. “What?” Wonwoo asked. The fair-haired boy smirked.

“Is that really why you’re so worked up?” Wonwoo nodded. “Really? You're so hyper-aware of Mingyu because he's happy all the time? It has nothing to do with how attractive he is?”
    WHAT?” The black haired boy sputtered, his face turning bright red. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Seriously? Because even though he's not personally my type, I know that boy’s hot, like really smokin' hot.” Wonwoo choked on the water he had been attempting to drink in order to cool himself down.

“I’ve got to get back to work!" Wonwoo jumped up, suddenly in a hurry to leave, despite the fact that his break had lasted less than 5 minutes. "What if he can’t handle the register on his own? What would Jin-hyung say if he was here, leaving a newbie all by himself like this!” Wonwoo rushed from the room and Minghao chuckled to himself as he heard a certain someone begging their hyung to “let them try the heart thingy just one more time” as the door shut. Still smiling, he turned back to his phone where he had just received a text from a certain someone in Mandarin.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[A/N]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOI SEUNGCHEOL!!!!!  \(^◇^)/

I know this chapter isn't all that long, but I really wanted to get something up today for our dear leader's birthday! (Yes I know it's like hecka early but I have work tomorrow/today... I guess it's past midnight and I don't know if I'll have time to write during the daylight hours, so yeah)

I know that this isn't my best in terms of writing, but hey, at least it's something, right? I feel bad because some of the members haven't even shown up yet *cough* Jun, Seongcheol, and Chan *cough*! I feel especially bad since I posted this today because of Coup's Bday, but he's not even in it yet! *Sigh* They'll all be there next chapter, I promise. You'll also get to see more of the inter-character relationships and get to know who-knows-who a bit better (seriously who's ready for some Junhao action ;)????) I'll also try to make it a bit longer as I feel like all the first two chapters have been kind of short.

Thanks for all the support it really means a lot!!!

#HappyScoupsDay