Moving Day

Unexpected Places

Jihoon/Soonyoung POV

Jihoon sighed, slinging his duffle bag over his shoulder and staring up at the building. Due to a complication with his housing application, he had been unable to secure a room in one of Pledis University’s many dorms, being forced instead to move off campus. Although he actually ended up with a pretty sweet deal (the apartment was far more spacious than any dorm room and was only a 7 minute max walk from campus) he was still pissed at the mix up. It bothered him that things didn’t go according to his plan, even though it all worked out okay in the end.

    After a few minutes of lugging his heavy bag up four flights of stairs (the elevator was currently being fixed), he pulled open the bright yellow door to his new apartment, room number 411.

    “Is that the last of it?” a voice called, it’s owner lost in an ocean of boxes.

    “Yeah,” Jihoon smiled a little as he spoke, his eyes fixed on the mop of somewhat-faded blue hair just visible behind one particularly large, if not somewhat misshapen box. “Although I still don’t see exactly why it was necessary to carry our milk in a duffle bag, Hosh.” He heard an annoyed huff as his roommate/Best Friend, Soonyoung’s, head popped up, his expression a pout.

    But Jihoonie,” he whined. “It’s not JUST milk It’s also all of our delicious snacks! By putting them in the bag they’d be more accessible in case we got hungry on the way here.”

    “Yes, hungry. In the eight minute drive from our old room to our new apartment.” Jihoon’s voice was practically dripping with sarcasm

    “Hey! Was it me or you, Wooz that ate an entire family sized bag of chips in that time” The bluenette’s eyes were mischievous as the other boy’s face flushed and he muttered something that sounded a lot like ‘shut up hosh’. “What was that? I couldn’t quite hear you?” Soonyoung cupped a hand next to his ear for dramatic effect. In response he was met with a pillow smacking him in the face. He laughed and Jihoon soon joined in.

    “I hope you realize that this means war!” He loudly declared when they’d calmed down, eagerly ripping open the closest box to him in search of ammo. The box, which was labeled “Kitchen Crap” in tidy, even lettering (that had been the work of Jihoon, Soonyoung’s handwriting was NOT that good), contained a variety of pots and pans, some of which had never been used. He grabbed one and pulled it down over his head, a crude helmet.

    “You’re so ON!” Screamed the other boy diving for cover behind the nearest box, his purple head disappearing from view. Despite the impending battle,he dragged the duffle bag with him. He’d be damned before he let Hoshi capture the delicious snacks.

    After a few hazy hours of crawling around on their stomachs in order to avoid detection, sneak attacks, ambushes, and a considerable number of pillows to the face; the boys lay on the floor in the middle of the room panting. Somehow in the midst of their war, the apartment had managed to become slowly organized and at least half the boxes were unpacked. The remaining boxes had also somehow found their way to the appropriate rooms and spaces. Soonyoung and Jihoon had been blessed with the miraculous ability to seem like they were goofing off completely while still somehow sticking to the task at hand.

    It wasn’t the only strange thing about their relationship either. As friends, they truly exemplified the saying ‘opposites attract’. Jihoon, affectionately nicknamed Woozi by Hoshi (even if he was the only one that called him that), was the more reserved of the two and could be quite shy at first, although it was a different story once he opened up to you. He also tended to be grumpier and he was someone who you really didn’t want to get on his bad side, as he could be absolutely terrifying despite his cute appearance and rather small stature. In fact, the words “Devil” and “Demon from hell” were thrown around quite a lot when his temper was concerned.

    Hoshi, as Soonyoung was nicknamed by Jihoon (even though Jihoon was also the only one to call him that), on the other hand, was extremely outgoing and cheerful, willing to make friends with anyone and everyone he met. He was also taller than Woozi, by a whopping 13cm despite his not super impressive 177cm height. He was also almost always smiling or laughing, whereas Jihoon appeared more serious. If you didn’t know them, one would hardly suspect that they would even be capable of getting along let alone being best friends.

    “Hey Hosh, it’s getting kinda late,” Jihoon said glancing at the star-shaped clock now hanging on the wall. It had been one of the handful of gifts that he’d given to Soonyoung for Christmas last year, as ‘Hoshi’ meant star in Japanese. “Do you want to get something to eat?”

    “How about Mansae’s?” Soonyoung pushed himself up off the ground. Mansae Pizza was a small restaurant near Pledis U’s campus, popular for its delicious pizza, 24/7 service (because what college student doesn’t want pizza at 4 am on a Thursday morning during finals week), and inexpensive prices. “We can probably get a discount- I think Seokmin’s shift just started.”

“Sweet!” Jihoon’s lips curved into a smile as he too peeled himself off of the floor. “Guess Mansae’s it is!”

 

Jisoo/Jeonghan POV

    Jeonghan was sprawled across the couch, watching as Jisoo nervously paced back and forth before the door to their apartment. He couldn’t help the sense of amusement that tugged at his lips, pulling them up into a soft smile, his eyes dancing playfully.

How did I even get so lucky? He thought as he drunk in the sight of the anxious 20 year old running one hand through his short, orangey-brown dyed hair.

“Jeonghan, are you even listening to me?” The other boy’s question yanked him from his thoughts.

“What?” Jeonghan shifted to a more upright position.“You were talking about our new neighbors, right?”

“What should we do?” Jisoo was obviously very stressed about the whole ordeal. “We should go over to say hi, right? That’s what neighbors do. But what if it’s weird? What if they think that we’ve just been sitting here watching them carry probably heavy boxes upstairs for a few hours? What if they think we’re horrible people for not helping? What if it’s too soon and they think we’re like stalking them or something? But what if we wait until tomorrow and they think that it’s rude that we waited so long? What if they think it’ s wei-” Jisoo’s apprehensive rambling was cut off when Jeonghan snagged his hand pulling him into his lap. In response to the contact Jisoo flushed, his face turning an adorable shade of pink. Jeonghan softly kissed Jisoo, warmth spreading throughout his entire body.

“It will be fine.” He said breaking away and leaning his forehead against his boyfriend’s.

“Are you sure?” Jisoo’s almost cat-like eyes were wide with apprehension, staring into Jeonghan’s own.

“Of course,” Jeonghan pulled back, planting a light kiss on the anxious boy’s forehead. “How could anyone not love you? Besides I’ll be there too and who could resist” he dramatically gestured to his slim figure “this?” Laughing, Jisoo playfully slapped his arm, hopping back up to his feet.

“I know I couldn’t. For some strange reason I moved thousands of miles so I could put up with” Jisoo wrinkled his nose in fake disgust “you.

“Damn straight you did.” Jeonghan couldn’t stop the pride in his voice as he tugged his boyfriend in for another kiss. But before he could place his lips against Jisoo’s, however,  the other boy pulled back, flicking him on the forehead.

“Language, Jeonghanie.” He laughed at the flustered expression on his partner’s face, darting forward to peck him on the cheek before slipping on his shoes, a pair of white converse. Jeonghan followed, still pouting a little as he pulled on his matching set of shoes.

*******

“Ready?” Jeonghan asked, eyeing Jisoo as he straightened his beige t-shirt, carefully adjusting its slight tuck in his tastefully ripped jeans. He took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as he smiled at Jeonghan.

“As I’ll ever be,” as he spoke he reached forward and rang the doorbell outside of the familiar bright yellow door. They waited for a few minutes, but to no avail. “Maybe the bell doesn’t work.” Just as Jisoo was once again reaching forward, this time his hand poised to knock, the door flew open. Standing before them in the entrance to the apartment was two boys. One of them was very short, with silky purple hair. His overall appearance could be described simply with one word: adorable. The other boy had interestingly shaped, slanted eyes and somewhat faded blue hair. Despite the obvious height difference, they were probably around the same age.

“Um… Hi?” it was the blue-haired boy that spoke first, breaking the awkward silence that had accompanied their sudden appearance. Jisoo quickly recovered, smiling warmly and elbowing his boyfriend ever so slightly, encouraging him to do the same.

“Hello! We’re from room 410, we’re your new neighbors.”

“Really? Cool! I’m Soonyoung,” the blue haired boy placed a hand against his chest, “And this is Jihoon.” The shorter boy gave a slight wave as Soonyoung introduced him. Glancing around the hallway, as if to make sure no one was listening, the boy- Soonyoung, leaned forward “He may seem like an adorable squishy, but don’t be fooled by his appearance. If you impede his ability to sleep or otherwise piss him off he will turn into the demon spawn of Satan.”

“You know I can hear you, right?” Jihoon raised one eyebrow at his friend’s comment and they all laughed.

“I’m Jisoo, by the way, and this is my boyfriend Jeonghan.” Jisoo was a little bit nervous to have mentioned that Jeonghan was his boyfriend (you could never know how people would react to the fact that you were a boy with a boyfriend).

“Boyfriend?” Soonyoung stepped back, and Jisoo’s heart sunk a little. Great. Another homophobic neighbor, he thought remembering the last inhabitant of room 411. Jeonghan noticed the slight change in his expression, every so slightly moving in front of him, as if to shield him from the new boys’ judgement. Hoshi seemed to examine them for a minute before a bright smile spread across his face. “Yep. I ship it. You guys make a beautiful couple and if you could, in fact, have children, they would be part of some kind of superior race that would one day take over the world.”

...Wait what? Jisoo flushed from the strange complement, his brilliant red face, much like his shoes, matching his boyfriend’s.

“Seriously Soonyoung?” Jihoon broke in. “Was that really necessary? They probably think you’re a complete weirdo now- not that that’s not an accurate statement.” Jisoo and Jeonghan laughed, recovering from the initial shock of Soonyoung’s statement.

“Thanks, I guess,” Jeonghan brushed a loose strand of hair behind his ear, turning to Jihoon. “You guys go to Pledis University right? I’m pretty sure that you were in my History class last semester. We’re going to be third years, by the way.”

“Really? I thought you seemed familiar, although I did sleep through at least half that class. But yeah, we’re both going into our second years. I’m a music major, and Hosh is a dance major.” at Jihoon’s words, Soonyoung performed a dramatic spin which looked cool until it ended in Jazz hands. Jihoon rolled his eyes, but the other two boys smiled.

“Hosh?” asked Jisoo, sounding a little confused.

“Oh yeah, that’s just something this idiot calls me,” The blue haired boy tossed his arm around Jihoon, which the other boy responded to by elbowing him in the ribs. “It’s actually Hoshi, it comes from this thing we had to do last year for one of our classes. He’s the only person that really calls me that though, as it never really stuck.” Jisoo nodded thoughtfully.

“I guess it’s like how Jeonghan calls me Joshua sometimes.” At the boys’ confused looks he let out a light laugh before continuing. “I’m actually from the US, I’ve only been living in Korea for about 3 months now. I come from a Korean family so I have a proper Korean name, but my English name is Joshua.”

“That’s really cool! You speak fluent English right?” Soonyoung could barely contain his excitement.

Of course I do.” Jisoo smiled as he responded [A/N: he says this in english ;)]

“Ohmigosh,” The blue haired boy practically squealed, squeezing Jihoon’s arm. “We have a friend that would love to meet you. His english is ‘very high quality’” Jihoon snorted, detaching the taller boy’s hand from his arm with great difficulty, it was really clamped on there.

“Speaking of frie-” whatever Jihoon was going to say next was cut off by the monstrous sound of his stomach grumbling, his face flushing pink from embarrassment.

“Sorry, we were about to head out for some food when you came over.”

“Really? Where are you headed?”

“Mansae’s- our friend is working right now so we could probably get a discount” Soonyoung smiled at the thought of delicious irregularly low-priced pizza.

“Mind if we join?” Jeonghan asked. “Since you’re new to this neighborhood, we’d treat you. Instead of muffins, which is what this weirdo wanted to give you,” he gestured at Jisoo, rolling his eyes “pizza could be our welcome gift instead.”

“Free Food?” Soonyoung didn’t even have to glance at Jihoon to know what he was thinking, a huge grin breaking out across his face. “Of course you can come!”

And so the boys got ready to head to Mansae’s, pausing only for a minute while Jeonghan grabbed his wallet. Seeing as the next bus to the pizza joint wouldn’t arrive for another 20 minutes, which was longer than the time it took to get there by foot, the boys decided to walk, Jisoo ardently defending the concept of giving muffins as gifts the entire way there.