Chapter 7

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mrs Min’s breath hitched in at the sight of him; she’d learned all of the children’s names so far, but one hadn’t come up. The one she had spoken to on the phone.

He joined the rest at the table, playing idly with the soft toy he had brought with him. It was a small dragon, red in colour and with felt flames coming out of its mouth, which the boy absentmindedly. Yoongi watched his fingers as they religiously trailed from the mouth to the end of the flame, then running off the end to start again.

He snapped back into reality when Hyori’s delicate voice brought everyone’s attention to her.

“Okay everyone, you’ve all met Mrs Min and her son now,”

“He’s called Yoongi, Mrs Lee!”

Hyori chuckled at the interruption, “yes I know sweetheart. Well Mrs Min, and Yoongi,” she emphasised his name, whilst smiling sweetly, “have brought a very special gift for everyone, but I need you-“

She was interrupted again by excited chatter and screams as they all tried to guess what it was. A cake, a bouncy castle, some more crayons, a computer, a giant soft toy, and a Frisbee were some of the many guesses that they heard before the small boy in the bunny jumper shouted, “a dragon!” with the most excited and joyous face anyone could imagine. Hyori and Mrs Min looked at the young boy with a large smile on their face, happy to see him joining in with the group, despite his previous nerves. Yoongi, on the other hand, was completely gobsmacked; had this boy really just suggested that they had brought a dragon with them?

“Unfortunately, I haven’t got any of those items, although a dragon on a bouncy castle may be fun to watch,” Yoongi’s mother smiled happily, as the table erupted into laughter. When they settled down again, she started to speak to them.

“As Miss Lee was explaining, we have brought gifts with us, but they are not physical presents. There won’t be any wrapping paper or ribbons,” the children sighed softly, but carried on listening intently. “However, there are envelopes that you may all open, but you must promise not to open them until everyone has one, okay?”

“I promise!” was the answer that rang throughout the room, as they all started to chatter quietly. Yoongi’s mother took her purse off of her shoulder, ping it to reveal 19 envelopes; 18 for the children, and one for the organisation. She had known how many children there were when she had called, so had used that information to create 18 cards.

“As I give them out, I want you to write your name on the envelope, that way you can ensure that it belongs to you, okay?” A shuffle was heard as the children got themselves ready to receive their envelopes. Hyori handed the pens out that she had prepared, making sure to give the boy in the bunny jumper a purple pen; Yoongi noticed this, as the boy gave the woman a large grin in return.

Once everyone was ready with their pens, Yoongi’s mother handed out the envelopes. A quiet flutter of pen on paper could be heard, before they all replaced the caps and waited for the next instruction.

“Okay everyone, you can open the envelopes now! Make sure you don’t lose it!”

The sound of the glue coming unstuck from the paper clouded the room, as envelopes were pulled open by small hands. At first, there was silence as the children read the cards, holding the other smaller envelope (which had been tucked inside the cards) in their hands. Then there was a flurry of paper as the small envelopes were opened to reveal a slip of paper and £100 in notes.

Their joyful screams could be heard 100 miles away, as they all showed the people next to them how much they had; they all had the same amount, so the screams got louder as they celebrated.

Yoongi’s mother was smiling from ear to ear before she felt a weight around her legs. She looked down to see a very excited young boy, with dishevelled hair and a dragon tucked under his arm, hugging her, his eyes radiating the happiness that he felt in his heart.

Yoongi looked at the boy in shock; he had expected happy screams and shouts, it had happened in the previous buildin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter