Chapter 5: Protecting My Human

Wolf [On HOLD]

fighting-wolves.jpg

The two walked in the forest, hand in hand, sharing short yet sweet conversations. “So…” Kyungsoo shyly looked up at his now called mate. “Uh… J-Jongin…” Jongin looked down at his blushing mate. He smiles down at Kyungsoo. “Yes Kyungsoo?” Said boy blushed a darker shade of red, “W-what is your pack like? I mean… will they like me?” Jongin almost cooed at how adorable his mate was being. “Of course they'll love you. If anything happens, I'll be there to protect you.” Jongin smiled and kissed Kyungsoo on the head. Kyungsoo melted in the soft touch of Jongin's lips. He wanted to stay this way forever, scared to lose his warmth. He was strangely drawn to Jongin, even though they had just met. “Just stay close to me ok?” Kyungsoo could only nod, continuing the journey with Jongin. 

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

By the time they arrived, it was already noon. “Are you sure about this?” Kyungsoo whispered, “They're all staring at me…” Everyone was staring, some were snickering as the two walked by. “It's alright, I'm here for you.” Jongin patted his head, as they entered Kris’ tent. 

“Hyung, I've brought him!” Jongin said happily as he and Kyungsoo sat down. Kris entered the room, and sat across from them. “Thank you. Now young one, please tell me your name.” A small toothy grin crept onto his face. “ Do Kyungsoo… Hyung.”
 “What can you tell me about yourself?”
“I-I love roaming the beautiful, green forest, and picking flowers f-for my Hyung who lives in the forest. I-I live with my mother and father in a small cottage out in the village. I love making friends, and baking...a-and I love animals.” Kyungsoo rubbed the back of his neck, “I mean, I’m not that interesting...” Kris smiled and his lips. “Jongin. Could you please leave the room? I want to talk to your mate about... personal matters…” Jongin nodded, and stepped out of the tent. He couldn't believe how well his Hyung and mate were hitting it off. He then saw Sehun walking towards him. 

“Hyung! How are things going in there? Is Kris-Hyung… you know… happy?” Sehun whispered the last part. “Of course. He kept smiling, and I can see Kyungsoo starting to calm down.” 
“Seriously? Kris-Hyung smiling?” Sehun guffawed. “ Anyway, your mate~” Sehun leaned in closer,”What’s he like?”
 “His scent, man… it’s like he's covered with flowers and white pears.” Jongin sighed, breathing in more of his mate's scent that still lingers in the air.
“How’d you tell him? How did he take the news?”
“Ah...he was so cute…” Jongin had a dreamy look in his eyes, “He kept blushing, and I gave him some flowers, and he looked me in the eyes. I can’t explain it...he’s just…”

Suddenly, he heard a deep scream coming from inside the tent, it was the cry of his mate. His blood boiled when he barged inside to see Kris pinning Kyungsoo down on the ground, shirt in tatters, and his red cape a mess on the floor. Kris stopped in his tracks, slowly shifting back into his human form. “Oh… Jongin. I thought I told you to stay outside.” Jongin punched Kris square in the jaw, his eyes burning with fury and his sharp teeth bared. “What the hell are you doing to MY Kyungsoo?!” He growled and picked Kyungsoo up and wrapped him in his cape to cover up every and any part of his skin that showed. Kris stood up from where he lay, “What do YOU think you're doing to MY meal?!” Kris shifted back into a wolf as he pounced at Jongin, who put Kyungsoo down and shifted into his wolf form as well. Kris went for Jongin’s neck, but Jongin was quicker and knocked Kris to the ground with his giant paws. Kris snapped at him from under his grip and Jongin grabbed him by the neck, dragging him out of the tent. Jongin growled and Kris managed to bite Jongin’s ankle, causing him to whimper and draw his paw back. Kris took this chance to pounce at Jongin again, this time knocking Jongin to the ground to distract him as he ran back to the tent to finish off what he started. Kris tore through the entrance of his tent toward the small boy wrapped in his red cloak. 

Jongin growled at the pain growing in his front ankle from Kris’ bite. He shot back up when he heard the soft whimpering of a scared Kyungsoo, coming from inside the tent. He bolted towards the sound and leapt over Kris, who was mere inches away from the boy. Jongin blocked Kris from getting any closer to Kyungsoo, who lay under Jongin, tears rolling down his cheeks. Jongin growled and barked loudly at Kris. Kris gave him an icy cold glare, but that did nothing to stop Jongin from grabbing him by the neck and throwing him out of the tent. 

By now, the others had all been aware of what was going on and they finally stepped in. Kris lay on the ground, a long growl drawing out from under his breath. The others in the pack surrounded him, all of them growling as a warning to stay down. Jongin guarded Kyungsoo under him, glaring at Kris, who was still glaring at him. Chanyeol, the silvery-white wolf with blue eyes crept closer, barking at Kris angrily. The whole pack crept closer as Kris started regaining his strength again.

Everyone froze when a sharp bark rang through the circle. Everyone turned to see Tao, who had returned from hunting and could hear the commotion from a mile away. Kris took the chance to run at Jongin with whatever strength he had left, while everyone was distracted. But he didn’t get far as Tao grabbed him by the neck with one swift move and threw him down. Kris finally gave up, he knew he would never be able to overpower his mate.

tumblr_mqc8qnkhaT1rz8onyo3_500.gif

Everything finally started to calm down in the pack again. Jongin shifted back into his hybrid form and immediately dropped to his knees to look into Kyungsoo’s face, “A-are you hurt? Oh my god...I-I’m so sorry…” He pulled the smaller into his arms. “I-is th-this type of stuff supposed to happen?” Kyungsoo nervously asked. Jongin was on the verge of tears. He knew he shouldn’t have trusted Kris, now this happened.
“A-are you able to walk?” Jongin shakily asked, lifting Kyungsoo from the dirty ground, inspecting him for injuries.
Kyungsoo chuckled softly, “I’m fine.”
Jongin lifted him into his arms anyway and brought Kyungsoo into his tent. “I-I’m fine, really! I just...was scared..” Kyungsoo wriggled out of his grip. Jongin gave him a worried expression. Kyungsoo pet his head reassuringly, “I’m fine~” he ran his fingers through Jongin’s soft hair, comfortingly. Jongin leaned in to the touch, he wanted to really know if he was alright, and in order for that to happen he needs to trust what Kyungsoo says. He whimpered and gave Kyungsoo a small peck on the nose. “Ok I believe you.” Jongin said giggling softly, “Want to go home?” Kyungsoo thought for a moment before shaking his head. “Can I stay with you… Just for a bit?” He whispered his whole sentence, but Jongin heard it clear as day. He smiled and hugged Kyungsoo, putting his face in the crook of his neck in order to smell more of his mate, and mark him with his own scent. Giggling at the cute reaction, he pet Jongin’s soft hair. While doing so, he managed to find a spot that Jongin loved most when he saw how fast his tail was wagging. 

Kyungsoo looked down at Jongin’s hand, and noticed his wrist, bleeding and swollen. “Y-your wrist!” Kyungsoo gently picked it up. Jongin slightly flinched at the touch. “Oh yea...It’s ok, it doesn’t really hurt.” Jongin chuckled. “I have to bandage it up!” Kyungsoo put some water into a bowl from a well nearby and then ripped part of his already tattered shirt and cleaned off Jongin’s wrist. He wrapped the piece of cloth around his wrist and secured it. Jongin looked at him fondly, smiling. He was so lucky.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

The two were sprawled on the hammock, laughing and making jokes. Jongin was happy to see Kyungsoo smile again. Then, he heard some rustling sounds, and out of instinct, he put an arm over Kyungsoo to protect him from whatever’s coming. His tent opened, and Tao and Sehun came in with something bundled in their arms. Jongin relaxed, but not for long as Kyungsoo was trying to cover himself, shirt still in shreds and nothing that fit the poor petite boy. Jongin walked over to the two, blocking their view of Kyungsoo. “Yes? Why did you come here?” Last part was pointed towards Tao, who had an apologetic look in his eyes. “I came here to apologize for my mate’s actions. I didn't know he was going to do this, I thought he actually changed.” He started to choke up. Tears in his eyes, he bowed. “I'm really sorry Jongin. Sehun and I wanted to make up for his actions… W-we brought you the biggest part of the hunting, and some clothes that might fit your mate.” Jongin was in shock. He couldn't believe what was happening. He forgave Tao, and led them inside. 
“Is this your mate? He's adorable.” Tao walked over to Kyungsoo, a bag in his hands. He looked at Sehun who quickly left the scene. “What’s your name? I'm Tao. I'm also Kris’ mate, but I bear you no harm. I came to apologize for his actions.” He bowed once more, “I'm really sorry.” Kyungsoo was flustered, he wasn't expecting him to bow so suddenly. “It’s alright. There was no harm done.”
“That's right, clothes! Dear, you need clothes.” Giggling like a high schooler, Tao brought out a change of clothes for Kyungsoo. “Here, Jongin will help you change,” and with that he left the tent. The two boys blushed at what Tao had said. “D-do you n-need any help?” “N-not at the moment. Th-thank you though.” The two stuttered. Jongin turned around, to give Kyungsoo the privacy he needs. 

After a while, Kyungsoo was dressed in a loose Mickey Mouse shirt, and skinny black jeans. “I'm dressed…” Jongin couldn't help smiling at how shy Kyungsoo was being. Tao and Sehun stepped in, now knowing that Kyungsoo is presentable. “You hungry Kyungsoo? We got food. Oh, I'm Sehun by the way, Jongin’s best friend.” Sehun smiled and shook Kyungsoo's hand. Kyungsoo nodded and Sehun replied with a pat on the back. “It's ok, no need to be shy. Kyungsoo, how about you go help Tao get the food ready?” 

Kyungsoo nodded once more and followed Tao into the kitchen. “You know, Jongin used to be less talkative than he is now.” Kyungsoo looked up at Tao, “He would always isolate himself from the others. I've never seen him look this happy before.” “B-but he doesn't act that way,” after saying that, he saw Sehun and Jongin rough housing in their wolf form. “He seems very sweet.” “Well, we have you to thank. One day he was a lone wolf, then the next he was an excited little puppy.” He let out a breathy laugh. “Come on. I have to teach you how to make Jongin’s favorite meal.” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “Y-You d-don't mean…” Tao once again laughed, and ruffled the human boy’s hair. “No silly, we don’t eat people. Just things like rabbits and other small animals- not much different than what you eat.” Kyungsoo relaxed. “So...what does Jongin like to eat?” “Chicken. You would not believe how much he loves chicken,” Tao laughed. Kyungsoo laughed along with him. “But, thankfully, he’s not very picky. He loves food.” Kyungsoo took that to mind, but he still wanted to do something special for Jongin since he saved him. “Do we have ingredients to make Dak Galbi?” “Yes we do!” Tao clapped excitedly and looked through the cupboards and mini-fridge to get Kyungsoo the ingredients. The two chatted as Kyungsoo helped cut the peppers and Tao cut the other ingredients and mixed them in a bowl. 

Once the meal was finished, the boys set the table and everyone gathered around to eat. Kyungsoo picked up a piece of chicken, he blew on it and offered it to Jongin. Jongin ate the chicken and moaned at how delicious it was. “Kyungsoo, I didn't know you could cook! Oh my God it’s amazing!” Jongin continued to eat from Kyungsoo who was happily feeding him. Everyone else at the table also tasted the food and complimented Tao and Kyungsoo on their cooking, making sounds of delight. As soon as lunch was over, Tao and Sehun left, leaving the two alone once again. “I'll clean up.” Kyungsoo said as he picked up the dishes. “No, let me help, you've done so much for me.” Blushing, Kyungsoo nodded, allowing Jongin to clear the table. 

“Jagiya...do you want to go home? It's getting late.” Jongin sat up from where he was laying his head on Kyungsoo's lap. The boy blushed at the name, then thought for a moment. He wanted to stay with Jongin. He enjoyed the other’s presence, leaving him makes him feel empty inside. But, his parents would probably get worried because of how long he has been out. Rubbing behind Jongin's ears, he stood up and agreed to go home, but not without Jongin begging to walk him back.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

The moon had already begun to rise by the time they reached the edge of the forest, and Kyungsoo felt a tug in his heart. If he were to walk any further with Jongin, who knows what chaos will erupt in the village. “I guess I should go now.” Kyungsoo turned to face Jongin, and leaned in to give Jongin a kiss on the cheek then turned away to hide his forming blush. Jongin could only stand in sadness, watching as his mate ran down the hill, and entered one of the houses below.

From there, Jongin was left alone at the edge of the forest. He slowly walked back into the tall trees left alone at the edge of the forest. He slowly walked back towards the tall trees, picking up flowers as went. Then, he remembered Kyungsoo’s friend...Suho was it? He must have been worried about Kyungsoo. He should also apologize for getting angry at him. So, Jongin ran back through the trees and found the scent of the small house, following it.

When he got to the house, there was only one small light on in the living room and he could hear quiet chatter. He hesitantly knocked on the door, wondering if he should come back later. It only took Suho a couple of seconds to open the door, before he saw Jongin. The forest was dark now, the only source of light being the moon. Suho had to squint to see who it was. Suho’s eyes widened and he took a small step back, when he recognized Jongin, unsure if the wolf boy was still angry with him. “Yes? W-where’s Kyungsoo?” He shakily asked. Jongin immediately bowed low, “I’m so sorry for my actions earlier today, i-it was just my natural instincts. And, I promise you, Kyungsoo is safe- I just sent him home.” Suho stood still, shocked at the apology.

Then he heard another voice come up behind Suho. “Jongin? Is that you?” 
“Sehun? What are you…?” Jongin stood back up with a surprised look on his face. Suho looked over his shoulder to see the tall brunette boy standing over him. He rubbed the back of his neck “Uh...I was just walking around the forest and I smelled strawberries and followed the scent to his house... He told me he was a friend of Kyungsoo’s.” Sehun blushed. Jongin slowly nodded, still surprised to see Sehun. Suho finally spoke up, “W-would you like to come in? I-I made some strawberry cheesecake.” He nervously smiled. “Hyung, you have to try it! It’s so good.” Jongin laughed, “Ok,” he looked at Sehun, “But we should back to the pack after wards.” “Yea, yea, just come in here!” Sehun reached from behind Suho and pulled Jongin’s arm. Suho laughed at their childishness and shut the door. “We never properly met. I’m Suho, a family friend of Kyungsoo’s.” Suho smiled kindly, holding his hand out to Jongin. Jongin bowed, “Jongin. I’m Kyungsoo’s….uh..” 
“Mate. He knows.” Sehun answered for him. Jongin blushed, causing Suho to chuckle. “I could already tell, when you gave him those snowball hydrangeas. When you’ve lived this long in the forest, you learn a few things.” Jongin and Sehun laughed, because they knew that better than anyone.

The three laughed and talked, as they ate cheesecake. After that, the two got ready to leave, Sehun talking to Suho more, before being dragged out by Jongin.