Chapter 4: Meeting His Mate

Wolf [On HOLD]

tumblr_mv4f2zVeBt1sg5fnmo3_500.jpg

When Jongin woke up again, the rest of the pack had already fallen asleep. He rubbed his eyes, and quietly stepped out of his hammock. He stepped outside of his tent, his ears listening for any indications that someone was still awake. The only sound that could be heard was the rustling in the trees from wind and the steady breathing of the others.

Suddenly, Jongin was hit with a familiar scent. Without realizing it, he started following the sweet smell. He shifted into his wolf form to move faster and sneak away from the pack.He sniffed the air. The familiar scent hit him again- stronger- shocking him awake. It was his smell. He moved with a quicker pace, curious as to why he was still out here in the forest, but also excited to see him again.

Jongin followed the scent to a small wooden house, overgrown with green vines, and hidden by tall trees. He could make out a faint light coming from a window in the house. He sniffed around again- he was definitely here. Jongin walked around the side of the house, towards the light. He looked into a window, but no one was there. Then, the next- still no one. Then, he smelled flowers; he could hear soft breathing, he found the scent. 

Jongin crept towards the dark window, keeping his head down, his tail swinging low. He lifted his head just enough to see into the room.

There he was.

Jongin’s heart beat faster, and his tail wagged back and forth. The boy was asleep, and he looked so peaceful. The flower crown lay on the bed-side table, and he was curled up in a ball, wrapped in his red cloak. He looked cold, and Jongin wanted to just wrap him up in his arms and keep him warm.

Jongin heard him stir and snapped out of his daze. He hid his head again, until he heard the boy’s steady breathing once again.

Jongin knew he could look at his mate forever, but he had to get back to the pack before they woke up. He swiftly snuck away and made it back to his tent, before the others could find him awake.

But not without leaving something for his human.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

The young Alpha arose from his slumber once again. Stretching, he remembered his mate, and a small smile crept on his face, remembering how angelic he looked in his sleep. ‘I need to see him again. Maybe in my human form so I won't startle him.’ Jongin’s smile grew even wider as he pictured finally meeting his mate, whose name he still didn't know. When he was dressed, Sehun entered his tent. “Hey Jongin, Hyung wants to see you.” “What?! Now? How's his mood, is it better than yesterday?” Jongin asked, looking at Sehun with a worried expression, “Go see for yourself, Hyung.” Sighing, Jongin left his tent once again to see the Elder. 

Once he reached the tent, he was a complete mess. He didn't know what to expect. When the leader is angry, who knows what could happen. Taking deep breaths he entered the tent, and was met with an icy glare. “You wanted to see me, Hyung?” He said as he took a seat.
 “Yes. Now, do you know the name of your mate, or at least where he is now? I would like to meet him, and learn more about him.”

 Jongin was taken aback. He was not expecting that his Hyung would want to see his mate. Instead of thrilled, he was more cautious. Why would Kris want to see his mate, unless there was a hidden intention. He brushed off the feeling, knowing he has permission to not only see, but bring his mate to the pack. He was too happy to notice the small smirk on Kris’ face. 

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Kyungsoo woke up to a cold breeze blowing in through the window. He shielded his eyes from the bright light coming in through the opened curtains. He got up to close the window, not recalling ever opening it. When he got to the windowsill, there was a cluster of juniper branches laying there. Kyungsoo grabbed the hand full and walked into the living room to greet Suho.

“Good Morning, Hyung.” He greeted.
“Morning~” Suho smiled. Kyungsoo set the bundle of Junipers on the kitchen counter where Suho was spreading fresh jam on toast.
“ I found these on the windowsill.. And it was opened..” Kyungsoo frowned.
“Nothing’s gone. Is it?” He asked, half interested.
“..No.” Suho smirked.
“Protection.” He laughed at Kyungsoo’s puzzled  expression, “It means protection. What do ya know? That wolf really is watching over you.” Suho chuckled.
Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, “H-he found me? ...H-how do you know that’s what it means?”
“Kyungsoo, I live in the forest. Of course I’m going to learn everything there is to know about the wildlife out here.”

Kyungsoo gulped. Maybe this...thing was really trying to protect him… but why?

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Jongin was getting quite giddy, and the whole pack could sense it. He eagerly looked for his nicest piece of clothing and did his best to comb out the mess of dark hair on his head. His ears stood perked up on his head and his tail wagged happily. Sehun watched him from the entrance of his tent with a wide smirk.

“How do I look?” Jongin asked Sehun, turning in a circle to show off his outfit- a slightly tattered, navy blue, low-collar sweater, with ripped skinny jeans, and he wore his favorite wolf fur pelt around his waist. He gave up trying to fix his mussed hair and hoped it looked ok with the rest of him. He wanted to look his best for his mate. 
“Hot.” Sehun laughed. Jongin slightly jumped in excitement and could barely resist the urge to race out the door.

He gave Sehun a quick fist bump before he was out the door, making his way to the small wooden house. Of course, he couldn’t come to his mate empty-handed. He picked a cluster of snowball hydrangeas from near their territory. Then, he followed the sweet scent wafting through the air.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Jongin was grateful to know that the boy hadn’t left the forest yet- his scent still radiating from the small house. He tried to calm himself down before walking up to the door. He peeked into the small window and noticed a picture sitting on a small table beside the couch. There were two people in the picture. On the left, it was his mate, but on the right...there was a young-looking man with his arm slightly around the other. Jongin frowned.

Jongin had guessed that this was where his mate was always going, when he came through the forest. He had hoped that the boy was visiting family, but...this man in the picture didn’t look like family. Jongin tried to ignore the weird feeling in his stomach, and lightly knocked on the door. 

“Could you get that, please?” Jongin could hear from inside the house, and when the door opened he was greeted with a petite figure looking up at him with wide eyes.

Jongin froze for a moment. Here he was, standing right in front of him. He was a lot shorter than bJongin. He had big, dark eyes, smooth, pale skin, and big pink lips. Jongin forgot where he was, the boy was so breathtaking. 

The boy’s eyes, however, grew even wider when he spotted the two large ears on Jongin’s head, and the long tail, swinging at his legs. He let out a gasp before taking a step back. “Wh-what are you?” The boy looked worried and Jongin cocked his head to the side. Then, Jongin finally realized what the petite boy had meant. His eyes widened and his ears went flat as a dark pink blush grew across his cheeks. 
Jongin couldn’t speak all of a sudden, he stuttered,”I-I…” 
“Who is it, Kyungsoo?” A voice called from behind the boy. 

The boy in front of him looked into Jongin’s eyes and his eyebrows raised. “Y-you…” he stuttered. Jongin could see the recognition in the boy’s eyes and he smiled. Finally he took the flowers from behind his back and pushed them out towards the boy in front of him. The boy stared at the flowers and then at Jongin, who was looking down and blushing. He took the snowball hydrangeas and blushed.

“Kyungsoo-” The voice cut off. Then, “...Bound to you.” 
The two looked at the man. “Wh-who are you?” Jongin narrowed his eyes.
The man looked at Kyungsoo “Is this…?” 

Suddenly, Jongin pulled the boy away from the unknown man. He gave a low growl and the man’s eyes widened. “H-hey, what’re you gonna do with Kyungsoo-” Jongin bared his teeth.
“Y-yah! What are you doing?” Kyungsoo called from behind Jongin. Jongin turned to look at his mate. He looked worried, Jongin felt bad. “B-but-” “No! I don’t know who you are and what you want, but you c-can’t come here and attack my friend!”  Kyungsoo had a mixed expression of frustration, anger, and worry. He didn't understand why his mate was acting this way, especially when he was trying to protect him. But he felt he was doing something wrong. “K-Kyungsoo...I’m..” Jongin wiggled his ears and looked deep into Kyungsoo’s eyes, “Don’t you recognize me?” Kyungsoo’s face softened. “I-I think so…” He looked at the flowers in his hands. Then his head shot up. “You-” Jongin nodded his head excitedly. “You’re the one who’s been…” Jongin smiled wide and nodded his head, his tail wagging. Kyungsoo blushed. “W-why?” Jongin’s face became serious, “You’re my...mate.” Jongin blushed. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened more, “I’m..your.. Oh.” Kyungsoo’s face grew as red as his cape. “My pack leader wants to meet you. I-It’s actually unusual...for a wolf’s mate to be human..and I was scared you would run away..” Jongin rubbed the back of his neck, “B-but you didn’t.” Jongin’s heart was beating fast and he could hear Kyungsoo’s beating just as fast.

“I knew there was a reason why I felt so safe around you that last time.” Kyungsoo blushed, “I-I don’t even know your name…”Kyungsoo said very quietly, but Jongin heard it clear as day.
Jongin blushed and bowed, “I-I’m sorry! M-my name’s Jongin.” 
Kyungsoo found it cute how flustered Jongin was getting and couldn’t resist putting his hand on Jongin’s head, feeling his surprisingly soft hair. Jongin leaned into the touch and Kyungsoo felt his soft ears twitching under his hand.

“Soft…” Kyungsoo was dazed, the wolf boy’s hair was so soft and felt so calming to run his fingers through. Jongin s his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist and pulled him close, taking in his scent. Kyungsoo was snapped out of his daze by the touch, and he blushed red when he realized what he had been doing. “S-sorry!” Kyungsoo covered his face and blushed. Jongin pulled him closer, running his hand up Kyungsoo’s back and through Kyungsoo’s hair.

“Why did you try to attack Suho?” Kyungsoo pouted. Jongin tilted his head in question and Kyungsoo pointed toward the house. Jongin blushed, “I-I was..protecting you. He was going to.. t-take you away from me…” Jongin pouted cutely. Kyungsoo looked at him in disbelief, “Did you think Suho was my..? No!” Kyungsoo blushed and Jongin was confused. He continued, “Suho’s like my..my brother! Or my grandpa…” Kyungsoo mumbled the last part quietly. Jongin’s blush grew deeper in color, “O-oh..” Kyungsoo giggled and wrapped his arms around Jongin’s neck, “You’re so cute!” He couldn’t help it.

They stood like that for a while. “Oh!” Jongin remembered. “So, will you come to meet my pack?” he asked, a hopeful look in his eyes. Kyungsoo thought for a moment, then he hesitantly nodded his head. Jongin’s face brightened, and he slightly jumped happily. 

“Just...stay close to me, ok?”