Chapter 3: Grandpa's House

Wolf [On HOLD]

Bdind2TCMAAWh5C.png

V: Kyungsoo rushed up the steps of his grandfather’s home.
Jk: To clear up, he’s not actually a grandpa, he's a grandpa-like figure. 
V: Whatever, Author-nim wasn't clear. 
Jk: Just continue...
V: He knocked on the door excitedly, still wearing the flower crown the wolf had given him. Kyungsoo couldn't hold in his excitement any longer. He was dying to tell Suho about what happened on his journey through the forest. Suho awoke from his nap on his couch and groggily rubbed his eyes and opened the door to the giddy Kyungsoo.

“Grandpa! You wouldn't believe what happened to me today!” Kyungsoo said in a sing-song voice as he entered the house. “How many times do I have to tell you to call me Hyung, not grandpa. I'm only two years older than you.” Suho sighed at his dongsaeng. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sat down on the couch. “You don’t act like it. So on my way here, a wolf came up to me. He stared at me for the longest time. I was scared, yet I wasn't? I don't know if that makes sense, but I felt safe. I gave him a biscuit and a slice of your cake, too. He made me run through the forest, and took me to his cave. Then, he gave me a flower crown out of these beautiful azaleas.” Kyungsoo held the flower crown up so that Suho can inspect it. “Kyungsoo... do you know what this flower means?” Kyungsoo gave Suho a confused look and shook his head.
“I’ve heard that usually people give these to their first love.”
“O-oh,” Kyungsoo blushed.”I-I doubt that there was any meaning behind it. I mean, it was just a wolf...right?”

Suho was quiet for a moment. “W-why are you so quiet all of a sudden, Suho?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at the elder. Suho shifted awkwardly, “Actually...There’s quite a few untold stories in this forest.” Suho sat on the small sofa next to Kyungsoo. “There are stories of strange, human-like creatures that roam at night. I..hear them, they howl and travel in groups-”
“Suho, that’s called a wolf.”
“No Kyungsoo. They aren’t just wolves. They walk and talk like us.” Suho looked Kyungsoo in the eyes with a serious expression. The younger’s eyes were wide in interest,”Kyungsoo, did anything else happen?” 
“No, hyung. Are they dangerous?”
“They seem harmless. Sometimes they pass by, but they’re always in wolf form and always in a hurry. I’m pretty sure there’s a pack nearby here.”

Kyungsoo looked down at his lap and played with the end of his cape, thinking about the information he was given. “So..what you’re saying is, that wolf..wasn’t just a normal wolf.”
“What I’m saying is, I think that flower crown has a deeper meaning behind it.”
Kyungsoo’s face turned pink as he realized what Suho meant. “I-I don’t know what to say...Mom always said to be careful in the woods..”
“It doesn’t seem like you need to worry about that anymore,” Suho chuckled. “It looks like someone’s out there protecting you already.”
Kyungsoo’s face turned redder than his cape. Suho laughed at his reaction, pet Kyungsoo’s head, then stood up to take his basket.”Anyways. What did you bring for me?” “The usual. Bread, some of mom’s pastries, biscuits, and I found some more flowers for your crafts.” Suho made a delighted sound. “Thank you~” He walked to the kitchen, leaving Kyungsoo on the couch. He looked out into the forest, thinking of what Suho had said and about the wolf he had met. “What could he have wanted with me? If I had stayed any longer, would he have eaten me?” Kyungsoo thought aloud. “But…” He touched the flower crown on his head. He blushed again. 

“H-hey, Suho,” he called. “Can I stay the night?”

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

They had been talking for a few hours, and by now the sun had set. They ate cookies and drank tea that Suho made, while talking about life and friends.
“How’s your friend, Baekhyun?” Suho took a sip of his jasmine tea, legs crossed, looking up at Kyungsoo. “Same as usual. Annoying. Really happy about who the hell knows what. Although...lately he’s been acting different.” 
“What do you mean by different?” Suho raised an eyebrow.
 “I mean… He's happier than usual, and he's been a bit secretive lately.” Kyungsoo said while taking a sip of his tea. “I try not to think about it too much.” Suho nodded in understanding, “Hopefully, it’s nothing shady.”
“Hmm. So what have you been doing? I mean, is there much to do out here in the forest?”
“Oh, not much. But the scenery is great out here. I see all kinds of things.” Suho smiled.

 A long, awkward silence fell upon them, and they both sipped their tea quietly.

Suho stood up, taking his empty teacup and plate with him, and disappeared into the kitchen. Kyungsoo finished the last of his tea and took one last glance out the window. The fireflies danced around in the trees. The moon shone bright in the sky and Kyungsoo swore he heard wolves howling. He yawned, “Hey Suho? I think I’m gonna sleep now, it’s getting late…” Kyungsoo set his dishes on the kitchen counter, and Suho hummed a goodnight, before he made his way to Suho’s spare room. 

Kyungsoo carefully placed the flower crown on the bedside table. He frowned when he noticed the flowers starting to wilt. He lay on the bed, with his hood wrapped tightly around him and stared at the flowers, thinking of the wolf in the forest. Without realizing it, he slowly drifted off to sleep, clutching his red cape, and the bright golden eyes guarded him in his dreams.