Chapter 4

The University Students

Taekwoon’s class at 2 was language class and he did not know anyone from there. Language classes were general education subjects where students from any department could take it to complete some of their credits. He was the only one from his department in his class.

After leaving the library, avoiding yet another weirdo, he decided he will just head straight to his class.

He had about 15 mins more before his class started. He reached near the door and saw that some of his classmates were already inside the class. It has already been a month since the start of the new semester but he still hasn’t talked or befriended anyone. He entered the class and headed to his seat which was at the center of the 4th row. He was never really the type to sit so much in front. If he had a choice, he would have chosen seats at the back where he could calmly observe his class without being seen by anyone but when the semester had started, he hadn’t attended the first class so when he did attend it on the 2nd, the professor had already assigned seats and his was, unfortunately, at the center of the 4th row.

Taekwoon thought that his seating area would be very bothersome as he was in the center and he thought that people would ask him a lot of questions and that he would be the center of attraction but it wasn’t like that. Nobody barely asked him anything or gave him attention. He actually liked it like that and from the area he sat, he could see and hear the professor just fine. He liked being in that class because it was one of those classes where he never really had to put a lot of effort into talking and mingling with other students. The professor would just give them assignments and let them work themselves. He felt very relaxed and calm in that class.

What Taekwoon did not know was that, there was actually a guy who sat in the center of 6th row who would always look at him. His name was Hakyeon and he was from the college of journalism and communications. This semester was the first time Hakyeon had seen Taekwoon and it was love at first sight for him. During the 2nd meeting, when Taekwoon first barged in the class surprising everyone, Hakyeon was immediately star struck by his beauty. He looked like a small child when he apologized to their professor for being late and when he was asked to introduce himself to everyone in front of the class, he saw a slight disappointment on his face that made him even more curious about him. He was a very mysterious man for Hakyeon and he wanted to know what Taekwoon was thinking. It’s been over a month now and Hakyeon still could not come up with the courage to talk to Taekwoon. He found him very intimidating at times but there were also those moments when he would see Taekwoon looking at his phone and smiling at the screen. He always wanted to know what made him so happy that he would smile like that.

And today when Taekwoon came in 15 mins earlier to class, Hakyeon could not help but be happy. Taekwoon usually arrived late and he would always be scolded by the professor. Sometimes Hakyeon wanted to protect Taekwoon from the prof who always picks on him when he is late. He did not want others to notice Taekwoon like he had and he certainly did not want them to like him. He wanted Taekwoon for himself. Hakyeon had promised himself that before this semester ends, he would certainly be friends with Taekwoon. He made a fist and thought to himself. ‘I can do this!’

Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon who was now taking out things from his bag to get ready for the class. The prof came in after a while and started with his lectures. It went on and on and when the class was about to end, their prof gave them an assignment that was supposed to be done in pairs. Thinking it was a good chance for him to make a move, Hakyeon quickly went towards Taekwoon ignoring all the people who asked him to be their partner.

“Hey”, Hakyeon said cheerfully. “Do you already have a partner?”

“Umm no?”, Taekwoon gave him a nervous smile.

“Do you want to work with me then? I don’t have a patner too.”

“Umm sure. If you don’t mind.”, Taekwoon was happy that it was actually Hakyeon who asked him to be his partner because going around and asking someone to be his partner was something he would have never done.

“Ok then. Should we start discussing about the topic already?”, Hakyeon asked.

He did not want to lose this opportunity.

“Sure. Here?”, Taekwoon looked at him.

“Oh do you want to go to the main library?”

“NO!”, Taekwoon quickly responded surprising the other man. “I am sorry. Let’s just discuss here.”

Hakyeon nodded and they sat down at Taekwoon’s table. They discussed their topics and Hakyeon even made schedules on when to meet and work on the assignment. There was actually no need to make schedules but he just wanted to do so that he can know when Taekwoon was free. When they finally finished, Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon and was about to ask him something when Taekwoons phone rang.

“Hello?”, It was Wonsik.

“Taekwoona, thank you for the food. It was delicious. Do you still have extra classes later?”, he asked. Hakyeon tidied the table and was putting his stuffs inside the bag.

“I am done with classes now. Where are you?”, Taekwoon asked.

‘I think he is busy. Maybe next time.’, Hakyeon thought.

“I am at home right now but I will be heading to the basketball court at 5 later. I have a match. You wanna come?”, Wonsik wanted him to. “We can leave home together after that. But if you are tired, it’s ok. You can go home and rest.”

Taekwoon was very happy that Wonsik had invited him after so long. They had both been very busy that they haven’t really spent time together.

“I will come Wonsik. I will see you there. Byee”, Taekwoon smiled at the phone before turning off.

“Love you”, the other man replied.

Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon and smiled at him. “Well, I need to go. Thank you for the hardwork.” Taekwoon stood up. Just when he was about to exit the room, he turned back surprising Hakyeon who was still staring at him.

“I am Taekwoon, by the way and you are?”, it was silly that the two hadn’t introduced themselves. Taekwoon did not have to since Hakyeon aready knew about him.

“I am Hakyeon.”, He smiled. He was very happy that Taekwoon asked his name.

“Ok then Hakyeon, it was nice to meet you. I hope we get along well.”, Taekwoon smiled and left.

Taekwoon was awfully talkative right now but he knew why, he was just happy that he would be getting to spend some time with Wonsik.