Chapter 16

The University Students

It was already an hour into practice and Wonsik has still not arrived. Hongbin was getting angry with every passing minutes. The court was filled with the sounds of balls bouncing, the screechings of the shoes, the thumping sounds as the players ran back and forth. These sounds were usually music to Hongbin’s ears but today was different. Each sounds added up to his anger as he waited for Wonsik to come. Hongbin had already sent him a text earlier because he wasn’t picking up his phone.

It was only after the practice was over that Wonsik had arrived, surprising everyone. Hongbin was beyond pissed seeing the man and on top of that, he wasn’t wearing his jersey.

“Wonsik!”, Hongbin shouted from the center of the court. He gestured Wonsik to follow him to the room that was usually used by the coach and the manager. 

Wonsik complied.

Wonsik closed the door of the room as he entered and Hongbin was standing at the other side with his hands folded.

“What’s going on, Wonsik?”, he asked.

“I think I’m going to quit, Hongbin”, he said sitting on the empty chair.

“I don’t care whether you quit or not.”, Hongbin said looking intensely at the guy. “Just answer my question. What’s going on? You haven’t been yourself lately.”

As much as Hongbin was angry, he tried to be a good friend to Wonsik who was clearly going through something.

“Taekwoon called me last night and asked me if I had seen you”, Wonsik looked up at him, surprised. “I told him, we went out for drinks and that you and Hyuk had already fallen asleep at my place.”

Wonsik lowered his head again, guilt on his face.

“When you told me you were home, I knew you were lying”, Hongbin walked up to his friend and placed his hand on his shoulder, “So, tell me Wonsik. Where were you and what were you doing?”

“I—uhh—“, Wonsik gulped. “I think Taekwoon will leave me if he finds out.”

“What?”

“I don’t know…I cannot let this happen! I cannot let him leave me.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Wonsik looked at Hongbin with eyes full of guilt.

“Hongbin, there is this girl that I met 3 months ago and she…..”

 

Hongbin punched Wonsik really hard knocking him off the chair he was sitting.

“Wonsik, I had so much respect for you!”, Hongbin said looking down at the man who was on the floor. “Taekwoon loves you so much and you do this to him? And you still want him by your side? You selfish bastard!”

Wonsik struggled to stand up. The pain on his face was too much to bear and he could taste blood in his mouth.

“Ack! What the hell Hongbin. What’s your problem?”, He said, finally standing. “This doesn’t concern you ok! It’s between him and me.”

Hongbin clenched his teeth, he grabbed Wonsik by his collar.

“If you hurt Taekwoon even a little bit, there will be no one angrier than me. I am telling you Wonsik.”, Hongbin warned him and Wonsik could see the deathly glare.

“Why do you care so much?”, Wonsik yelled, shoving Hongbin.

“Because I love him! I always have!”.

Wonsik just stood still looking at the man blankly. When he came back to his senses, Wonsik found himself getting more and more angry.

This time, Wonsik was the one who punched Hongbin and he made a cut on Hongbin’s lips. It was bleeding. He had never imagined Taekwoon with another man, so when he knew it was possible, he snapped. He was the possessive type.  

Hongbin punched him back and the two had started to fight. The fight was stopped when Hyuk barged in the room and pulled the two away.

“What is going on here?!”, It was the first time Hyuk had shouted like that. “You guys are friends!”. Hyuk wanted to beat the two up. He was probably the strongest one among the three.

“Why are you here?”, Hongbin said. He tried to stand up but was too weak to even do that, so he just laid on the floor like Wonsik.

“Why are you two fighting?”, Hyuk asked again, this time lowering his voice a little.

“Hongbin started it!”, Wonsik said.

“Me? It was you!”

“You punched me first!”

“ArgghhHHHhh! Shut up! SHUT UP!”, Hyuk had enough. “Don’t tell me it’s because of Taekwoon!”, Hyuk knew considering the fight was between Hongbin and Wonsik, Taekwoon was likely the answer.

“How did you know?”, Wonsik asked.

Hyuk sighed and looked at Hongbin. “You should tell him man.”

“I already did”, Hongbin replied.

 

Hyuk and Hongbin told Wonsik everything about how it had all started but when Hongbin was about to tell Wonsik about the night when Taekwoon slept at his place, Hyuk stopped him. He didn’t want Wonsik to hear about that since the guy was already feeling very down. Sometimes, you just have to leave some things out for it to go back to normal.

Wonsik also told Hyuk what he had told Hongbin earlier and Hyuk was shocked.

“Y—you serious?”, He asked.

Wonsik just nodded.

“But do you love her? What will happen to Taekwoon if he finds out?”, Hyuk said again.

“He is going to be mine.”, Hongbin joined the conversation. Wonsik glared at the man.

“I don’t know how I feel about her but I like being around her”, Wonsik felt guilty saying that but he was telling the truth. He liked being with the girl.

“What about Taekwoon then?”

“I love Taekwoon, that’s why I feel guilty because I cheated on him and you all know how he is right? He will forgive me for everything I have done.”

This time, Hongbin stood up and walked towards Wonsik again. Hyuk stood up to stop him but he brushed him off.

“Look, Wonsik. You have to choose between him and that girl.” He smacked Wonsik’s back. Wonsik only glared again. “They say that if you truly loved your partner, you would never fall in love with another person.”

Wonsik laughed. “You are saying that so you can take Taekwoon away from me right?”

“Yes and I would keep him happier than you” Wonsik laughed again but Hongbin was serious. There was no doubt that the man was really in love with Taekwoon.

“You have to tell him, Wonsik” Hyuk told the older man. “Before it’s too late.” It felt like Deja vu for Hyuk. Just yesterday, he had told the same thing to Taekwoon.

“I am not ready yet.”, Wonsik stood up and headed for the door. “But if somehow, Taekwoon does leave me, please take good care of him, Hongbin.”

Hongbin was a very nice and caring person inside. It was only because he was the captain that he had developed the scary appearance and character.

Hongbin smiled. “Don’t you dare let those wounds be an excuse to get sympathy from Taekwoon!”, Hongbin shouted as Wonsik left.

Wonsik could only smile when he heard that from behind the door.

 

 

So, I have already finished witing the story. There's only 4 more chapters to go! Thank you for always reading, commenting and subscribing! :)