Chapter 7

edits

 

 
 
Tiffany stepped out of the building and was immediately blinded. “What th—”
 
“Miss Hwang! Tell us how you’re feeling about the news being out!"
“How long have you known Kim Taeyeon?"
“How many dates have you been on?"
 
She squinted against the flashing lights and held up a hand to shield her eyes. All around her were reporters and cameramen with mics and gigantic cameras aimed at her, vying desperately for her attention. Tiffany stumbled backwards as one overly eager woman stepped right up to her.
 
“Miss Hwang! Do you have any thoughts on the situation?"
 
“Uh,” said Tiffany, pulling her messenger bag closer to her, “no, it’s all a misunderstanding—”
 
“Miss Hwang! Where did you meet Kim Taeyeon?” Another man shoved a mic under her chin. “Was it at a red carpet?"
 
“No. Excuse me, I need to get to work."
 
“What were you doing at the hospital with Kim Taeyeon?"
“Are you going to see Kim Taeyeon now?"
“Miss Hwang! When is the wedding?"
 
“There is no wedding,” said Tiffany, trying to push through the horde of shouting people. “There’s literally nothing, please move away!"
 
“Why were you at the hospital with Kim Taeyeon?"
 
She danced around a tall young man, only to find him right on her heels as she speedwalked away. “Just a check-up,” she gasped, starting to run.
 
“Check up? For what?"
 
“Bleeding, my nose—”
 
“Bleeding?” He exclaimed loudly, beckoning his cameraman forward. “Miss Hwang, you were bleeding?"
 
“No! I mean, yes, but from my nose, I’m absolutely fine—”
 
The other reporters surged forward at the young man’s words. “Miss Hwang,” said some voice, “is Kim Taeyeon sick?"
 
“She’s fine, she's not sick!"
 
Tiffany thanked the heavens that she had chosen to wear her sneakers and a pair of comfortable pants today. She kept up a quick jog but the reporters doggedly followed along. Desperately, Tiffany looked up and nearly cried in relief - she was so close to the train station. She could get through the gates really fast to lose them.
 
“Miss Hwang! Which doctor did you see?"
“Who was injured?"
“Was the bleeding internal?"
 
Tiffany whipped out her train card and beeped it hurriedly, almost jumping through the gate. She was about to run away when someone shouted, “Miss Hwang! Are you pregnant?"
 
Tiffany stopped in her tracks and turned around; she took a deep breath and looked straight into all the cameras. “I am not dating Kim Taeyeon, I was at the hospital because I had a nosebleed, I do not actually know Kim Taeyeon and I most certainly am not pregnant!” Finishing, she gave them her best glare and wheeled away.
 
--
 
 On the train, Tiffany leaned against the door to catch her breath. Her phone buzzed and she answered the call. “Sunny!"
 
“Where are you?"
 
“On the way. Just got on the train,” said Tiffany, wiping her brow.
 
“Why do you sound out of breath? What happened?"
 
“Reporters were outside my place."
 
“What? Are you okay?"
 
“I ran away from them."
 
“Jeez. How many?"
 
“I don’t know. A lot. More than ten."
 
“Wow. I guess they’re really interested in you, huh?"
 
Tiffany groaned. “Save me. I felt like I was being hunted."
 
“Did you say anything to them?"
 
“I mean, I tried to, but they heard everything wrong, so I stopped and told them I wasn’t dating her and that I’m not pregnant!"
 
“…What?"
 
“One of them thought I was pregnant! I’m so offended right now! Do I look preg—” Tiffany stopped suddenly and looked around to realize that everyone in the carriage was staring at her. “Uh, Sunny?"
 
“Yeah?"
 
“Everyone is looking at me."
 
Tiffany glanced at a young schoolgirl and winced as the girl looked away quickly, pretending to be looking at her phone. “Well, your face is literally on the front cover of the newspapers,” said Sunny in her ear.
 
“No way...” She then caught sight of a man in a suit who was also pretending to read the daily free paper. “Oh my god, you’re right. I look like a zombie!"
 
“With blood gushing from your nose? Yeah, you do."
 
“What do I do? They’re literally,” Tiffany whispered, “staring at me. All of them."
 
“Do you have a hat or something?"
 
“No!"
 
There was a sigh. “Just get here fast, I guess."
 
--
 
When she finally made it to the office, Tiffany found Sunny and Yoona waiting for her at the door. “Hi, guys,” she said listlessly.
 
“I didn’t think I could say this, but you look worse than your picture in the paper."
 
“Thanks, Yoona."
 
Tiffany pulled her chair out and slumped into it, groaning. Her two friends stood on either side of her, watching her. “What now?"
 
“Are you okay?"
 
She shrugged. “I guess?"
 
“Did she contact you?” Sunny asked.
 
“Taeyeon? No."
 
“Unnie, are you two…like…”
 
Tiffany gave Yoona a look. “No, we are not dating. You know me! I just met her yesterday!"
 
“Okay, okay."
 
“All she did was drive me to the hospital and drive me home and,” Tiffany held her head, “I should’ve taken the stupid taxi." 
 
“At least you got your nose fixed, right?"
 
“Ha,” said Tiffany flatly.
 
“No?"
 
She closed her eyes. “The doctor said — oh, boy, this is hilarious."
 
“What did he say?” Sunny drew up Yoona’s chair and sat down in it. “Did he tell you what’s wrong?"
 
“He said that Kim Taeyeon makes me nervous and that’s what’s giving me nosebleeds."
 
They both blinked.
 
“Exactly.” Tiffany sighed. “He was right, I guess. She’s really giving me a lot of stress."
 
“Understatement of the year,” muttered Yoona.
 
“So, you mean that every time you see her, you’re gonna get a nosebleed?"
 
“Apparently."
 
“How are you going to finish this project?"
 
Tiffany turned her computer on. “I honestly think that at this point, my nosebleeds are the least of my worries."
 
--
 
“Hello, mom? Are you still awake?"
 
“Tiffany! I saw the news! Is it true?"
 
“No, it’s all a misunderstanding."
 
“So you’re not dating Kim Taeyeon?"
 
“No, mom. Don’t worry."
 
“Darn. Now I have to tell everyone at my taichi class."
 
“Mom? What did you do?"
 
“It was in the news over here, too, you know? You know Kim Taeyeon is popular in California too."
 
“Oh, no. No, no, no."
 
“Are you sure you’re n—”
 
“100% sure, mom. Definitely not dating her."
 
“But you’ve met her?"
 
“Yes, she came to my offi—”
 
“She’s attractive?"
 
“Well, yes—”
 
“You’re not too bad yourself, you know."
 
“Oh. Thanks, mom."
 
“So put on some make-up, Tiffany, I know you have some at home somewhere. Dress yourself up nicely and go get her."
 
“…What?"
 
“That’s how I made your dad fall in love with me, you know."
 
“Mom, no—” 
 
“Go get her, baby. I believe in you."
 
“Mom!"
 
--
 
After the phone call (Tiffany went to go hit her head repeatedly against the pantry wall) the next few hours somehow passed without a hitch. It was almost a relief for Tiffany to be holding her nose and editing more pictures of Taeyeon. At least it was familiar, she reasoned, and it was quiet and no one bothered her. “I hope I’m not getting charged for these tissues,” she said as she threw the old one away and grabbed a new one.
 
“Alright, everyone,” said their team manager. “Let’s gather in the meeting room in twenty. I’m going to go down to get Kim Taeyeon’s manager. Sunny, can you set the computer up? Hyukjun, like yesterday, print the meeting minutes? Yoona, water, please."
 
“And me?"
 
The team manager let out a long breath. “Are you okay?"
 
“I’m fine,” said Tiffany, balling the tissue up. “What should I do?” When he still hesitated, Tiffany stood up. “I’m really fine. I want to do something."
 
“Okay. Help Sunny. Set up the pictures you’ve been working on today and put them in order. We’ll discuss them during the meeting."
 
“Yes, sir."
 
 
 
 
 
 
thanks for all the comments :D i'm having fun reading what you guys think!