Chapter 10

edits

 

 
 
They all sat awkwardly in Sunny’s living room, with Taeyeon and her manager on the couch and Tiffany swinging her legs back and forth on Sunny’s very, very tall kitchen stool. The owner of the apartment herself walked in with a tray of tea.
 
“This feels unsettlingly like a scene from some daily drama,” she said casually as she set the tray on the coffee table. “Please help yourselves."
 
Tiffany hopped off the stool and knelt to pour tea into the four cups. When she was done, she passed them out - but still no one said anything. She sighed, straightened up, and said, “Okay, now what?"
 
“How come I didn’t know you lived here?” Sunny frowned, sipping her tea. “I’ve never seen you around."
 
Taeyeon grinned weakly. “I either don’t leave my apartment, or I leave at ungodly hours."
 
“How long have you lived here?"
 
“Five years without being detected, and I hope it stays that way."
 
Sunny nodded. “I won’t tell a soul, neighbor."
 
“Were you seen coming into the building, Tiffany?” Mr. Jang asked suddenly.
 
“I don’t think so,” said Tiffany, frowning. “I…uh, I had a jacket over my head that night."
 
“I see. Alright. If you ladies will excuse me, I am going to make a quick call."
 
When he left the room, Tiffany and Sunny both turned to Taeyeon. She shrugged and slumped back into the couch. “Probably calling the company,” she said listlessly. “To tell them how badly we failed."
 
“Was it really that bad?” Tiffany turned to Sunny.
 
“Well, all I got from listening was that you guys are definitely deeply in love and are ridiculously excited to name your child either Kim Joowon or Kim Sejin. Also, Tiffany?"
 
“Yeah?"
 
“Your voice sounds really stupid on air."
 
“I hate you. And I can hear you laughing, Taeyeon."
 
Taeyeon moved the pillow away from her face. “Sorry, I think I’ve just lost my mind.” She giggled, then wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. 
 
“Will you get fired?"
 
“No,” said Taeyeon, shrugging at Sunny. “They’ll probably suspend my activities for a while to let everything die down."
 
“Is that…good?” Tiffany asked cautiously. 
 
“Depends on how long they choose to suspend me."
 
“What’s your guess?"
 
Taeyeon bit her lip. “Half a year? If the reactions are really bad."
 
“Damn. At least Tiffany can just wear a bag over her head and keep going to work."
 
“Hopefully the paparazzi will go away after a while,” said Taeyeon, giving Tiffany a wan smile. “They usually do, if there’s nothing to interest them."
 
“I have a proposal."
 
They turned to look at Mr. Jang as he stepped back into the room. “What is it?” Taeyeon asked, warily. 
 
“How about we confirm the rumors?"
 
They all stared. And stared. And stared some more. Then Sunny broke the silence by cackling loudly. “I volunteer to be Kim Joowon’s godmother!"
 
“ you, Sunny,” Tiffany growled under her breath. 
 
Taeyeon stood up. “What are you saying, Oppa? You’re kidding, right?"
 
“I just had a conversation with the boss and he says we should go with it. The public response is overwhelmingly positive — there hasn’t been anything like it since our pandas on loan form China had cubs."
 
Tiffany narrowed her eyes. “Why are babies always involved?"
 
“The company’s advice, Taeyeon, is that you two go for it. They’re writing a statement to confirm the relationship as we speak. All we need is your approval,” said Mr. Jang hopefully, looking between Taeyeon and Tiffany. 
 
“Hold on a second,” said Tiffany.
 
“Yes?"
 
“I don’t even know what to say.” She looked at Taeyeon’s pale face. “You’re saying we should pretend to be together? And pregnant?"
 
“Well, the company will say in its statement that the pregnancy rumor is false, but the dating part is true."
 
“And the people will believe it?"
 
Mr. Jang nodded. “If it’s an official statement from the company."
 
“This still doesn’t make sense. We can’t just…pretend to be dating! How will this solve anything?"
 
“It’s going to be very good for Taeyeon’s image."
 
“…That’s your entire reason for this?"
 
“That’s how it works, Tiffany,” said Taeyeon quietly.
 
“You’re okay with this?"
 
Taeyeon looked at her. “I don’t know."
 
“Sunny, help me out here!"
 
Her friend spread her hands helplessly. “I mean, I think it’s a dumb idea, but at the same time I don’t see any reason to not do it. From Taeyeon’s company’s point of view, it’s a bonus that you’re not ugly, Tiffany."
 
“Wow, I—”
 
“And I mean, why not? You both clearly need to get out of the house more so this will definitely help, plus your mom will be really happy, Tiffany."
 
“But—”
 
“Miss, ah, Sunny is right, Tiffany,” said Mr. Jang.
 
“Which part of it?!"
 
“Um. All of it? It was very logical."
 
Tiffany shook her head. “I can’t,” she said.
 
“Why not?” Sunny asked.
 
“Yeah, why not?” Mr. Jang tilted his head.
 
“Why not?” Taeyeon said, not looking at Tiffany.
 
Tiffany looked at her in disbelief. “You’re in as well?” When Taeyeon only stared at the floor, Tiffany threw up her hands in frustration. “Why not? Well, because, firstly, we don’t know each other. This is blatant lying."
 
“You could get to know each other,” suggested Mr. Jang. “You also don’t actually have to date, Tiffany. Just in front of the cameras."
 
“That’s lying."
 
“Tiffany doesn’t like it when people lie,” Sunny added helpfully.
 
“Well, then you guys could date for real."
 
Tiffany stopped. And took a step back. “This is not making any sense at all."
 
“What are your other reasons, Tiffany?” Mr. Jang sat down on her stool. “Tell us your concerns."
 
“I— well, I’m a normal office worker! And she’s the nation’s most popular model!"
 
“I’m a singer,” said Taeyeon.
 
“Yeah, what she said!” Tiffany crossed her arms. “It doesn’t work."
 
Sunny held up her phone. “It totally works for the twelve million people who have now voted on the baby poll."
 
“I swear to God, Sunny—”
 
“Is this about the nosebleeds, Tiffany?” Sunny rolled her eyes. “Come on, you haven’t even had a nosebleed the whole time we’ve sat here and she’s right in front of you."
 
“What about the nosebleeds?”
 
Sunny turned to Taeyeon. “Apparently, the doctor told her that she gets nosebleeds because she likes you."
 
“That is NOT what he said, Lee Soonkyu—”
 
“Okay, fine, he said that you stress her out so much she gets nosebleeds."
 
“That’s not it either!"
 
Taeyeon looked at Tiffany. “Is this true? I’m giving you nosebleeds?"
 
“No! I mean, okay, kind of?” Tiffany began to pace back and forth. “He said that I get really stressed whenever I see anything related to you and my body, uh, reacts to the stress via nosebleeds."
 
“But she’s definitely not a fan, Taeyeon. No need to worry about that."
 
“Sunny."
 
“She didn’t even know who you were, I swear, she called you Kim Something for a whole week when we got the projec—”
 
“Sunny!" 
 
Sunny took one look at Tiffany’s red face and shut up. 
 
“Am I still...stressing you out?”
 
“I don’t think so? I mean, I don’t even think the doctor made any sense because I never felt any stress. It was just the nosebleeds.” Tiffany felt her nose. “Which have stopped.."
 
“Perfect! That means no more stress, right?"
 
“Well—”
 
Mr. Jang continued to talk right over Tiffany as he took out his phone. “So there are no objections, right?"
 
“Actu—”
 
“Hello, President Song? Yes, it’s a go. Yes, they’ve both agreed. Yes. Okay. Thank you, sir.”  Smiling brightly, he pocketed his phone and clasped his hands together. “Great, it’s all set, then!"