Chapter 21

edits

 

 

Tiffany reached absentmindedly for her ringing phone, her finger hovering over the green button for a moment as she deleted a layer on Photoshop. Once that was done, she saved her work and glanced down. 
 
Tiffany breathed out of her nose. “Mom, I’m kind of busy right now,” she said, rubbing her eyes. “Is this urgent?"
 
“Ooh. Are you out with my daughter-in-law?"
 
“No, I’m at home. They gave me a surprise project to work on and I really need to get it done. Can I call you back?"
 
“I’ll be out with your dad on a little trip these next few days. Let’s talk on Sunday."
 
“Oka—” Tiffany blinked. “Actually, I can’t on Sunday."
 
“What do I tell you, Tiffany? What do I always say to you?"
 
“Um, push-up bras are a girl’s best friend?"
 
“No, the other thing. Though that is very important as well."
 
“Use protection? Mom, that’s not ev—”
 
“No. Focus, Tiffany. Don’t get distracted."
 
“But I’m not!” Tiffany sighed. “Okay, is it to wear a button-up on first dates and adjust the buttons as necessary?"
 
“Tiffany, I am so disappointed in you. We didn’t send you to college for you to forget the most important things in life!"
 
“Mom, I have no idea what you’re trying to say."
 
“YOLO."
 
Tiffany paused. “Pardon?"
 
“YOLO, dear. You know what means, right? Or are you really that un-hip?"
 
“Yes, I know it means ‘you only live once’, Mom. I don’t want to know why you know it."
 
“Because it’s important, Tiffany. You only live once. Go out more! It’s heartbreaking to see you in the prime of your youth, spending your weekends working at home!"
 
“Actually, I’m not—”
 
“Just because push-up bras still work for you now doesn’t mean they’ll always work their magic, dear. Once you hit forty, it all goes down the drain. YOLO, Tiffany, always rememb—” 
 
“MOM! I’m going out with Taeyeon on Sunday!"
 
“...What!"
 
“Yes,” said Tiffany wearily. “I’m not staying in. I’m going out with her."
 
“Oh my god. Was it actually the push-up bra?"
 
“No!"
 
“My heart, I have to sit down first.” There was a creak. “This is wonderful. Where are you two going? Actually, I take it back, staying in is fine if you’re with her, just remember to use—” 
 
“We’re going to the Eyrie event, mom. The eye charity. There’s an annual ball."
 
“A ball?"
 
“Yes, mom."
 
“You, at a ball?"
 
“What is that supposed to mean?"
 
“Are there going to be beautiful people there?"
 
“Well, it’s a charity function with a lot of celebrities, if that’s what you’re asking."
 
“Oh, lord. We have a lot of work to do, then. Go get the dress from your closet."
 
“Huh?"
 
“The one I got you last year when you came home. The one with the low neckline."
 
Tiffany took a deep breath. “Mom, I’m being serious. I have a lot of work to finish tonight."
 
“What were you planning on wearing to the ball?"
 
“I don’t know. I hadn’t thought about it yet."
 
“Well, that’s not something you can prepare in a day, Tiffany. Think about it. It’s already Wednesday. Or Thursday, since it’s past midnight for you. That leaves you with just Friday and Saturday to go shopping if you didn’t have that dress."
 
“That’s…true,” said Tiffany slowly.
 
“And what kind of dress were you going to buy?"
 
“I don’t know."
 
“Get the dress out of your closet, Tiffany. I’ll call you back in ten minutes."
 
The line dropped. For a moment, as she stared at her phone, Tiffany was really tempted to call back immediately and say she really was too busy for this. But she knew she was more than halfway done with the poster, plus she still had a whole day tomorrow to work on it. And, to be very honest…that dress was the only thing that she owned that would work.
 
With a sigh, she got out of her cushy chair and went into her room.
 
Tiffany opened her closet, reached into the back and took out the dress. And stared at it. Was…was it always this bright shade of red? She held it away from her but no, the dress didn’t magically change color. It was still strapless and very, very red. 
 
“Oh, hell,” she said in a small voice. 
 
As she got halfway into the dress, her phone rang. Tiffany crabwalked over to her bed and fell sideways onto it, swiping to put the call on loudspeaker. “Mom, I’m not dressed!"
 
“Uh,” said Taeyeon.
 
“Oh !” Tiffany instinctively tried to cover herself up, but her elbow got caught in the dress and she fell heavily onto the floor. “Ow!"
 
“Tiffany? Are you okay?"
 
“Yep! All good!” 
 
Tiffany swore under her breath as she tried to disentangle herself from the fabric. Her hip hurt like crazy — there was definitely going to be a bruise tomorrow morning. Slowly, she got up and hurriedly pulled the dress up.
 
“What happened?"
 
“Um, I fell.” Tiffany strained to reach the zipper at the back. “All good now."
 
“What…what were you doing?"
 
“My mom wanted to help me with a dress for the ball. She told me to change into it and said she’d call me back, and I thought that it was her calling, so, um,” she in her stomach and finally got the zipper to close, “sorry about that."
 
“No worries. Should I call you later?"
 
“That might be a good idea."
 
“Got it. I’ll call you back in an hour, then."
 
“Okay!"
 
“I’ll text beforehand to make sure you’re dressed.” Taeyeon laughed quietly. “Bye."
 
When Tiffany finally stepped in front of the mirror, her face was as red as her dress; though if that was from the exertion of getting into the dress or from the embarrassing call, she really didn’t know. She smoothed down the front of the dress as she eyed herself. The dress fit surprisingly well, even after a year. Tiffany tugged on it to make sure it didn’t fall down without straps. 
 
A moment later, her phone rang. This time she made sure to check the caller ID before answering. “Hi, mom."
 
“How do I do the video?"
 
“Uh, hold on,” said Tiffany, pressing the video-call function on the phone and aiming the camera at the mirror. “Can you see me?"
 
“Yes. I can’t see me though?"
 
“Press the camera circle. Do you see it?"
 
“The camera? Oops, the call disappeared. Hello?"
 
“Go back to the call screen."
 
“…Okay, I see you. I still don’t see myself? Can you see me?"
 
“No, you have to press the button to turn on your camera."
 
“I need to take a picture?"
 
“No, it’s not the camera app. It’s the camera button on the screen right now. Do you see it?"
 
“Is it because my finger was blocking the camera? I’ve moved it now."
 
“That’s not it, mom. You need to press the button first."
 
“I don’t see a button."
 
“It’s on the—”
 
“Okay, forget it. Did you gain a little belly?"
 
Tiffany breathed in self-consciously. “Did I?"
 
“Dear, you know you can tell me if you’re actually pregnant, right? Your father and I would support you all the way."
 
“Mom, I am not pregnant. I promise you. I am not having a baby."
 
 “Pity."
 
“What did you say?"
 
“I said, turn around for me."
 
Tiffany did an awkward twist, trying to keep the camera on the mirror. “Is this okay?"
 
“I’m honestly quite amazed that it fits you better than it did last year. The chest area especially. You’ve been doing those exercises I told you about, haven’t you?"
 
“No."
 
“Well, whatever it is that you did, it’s working. I was a little worried about the neckline at first, but now I’m quite, quite satisfied."
 
“Isn’t it a little,” Tiffany narrowed her eyes at her reflection, “low cut? It’s kind of not as subtle as I’d like. Plus, it’s bright red."
 
“Perfect."
 
“But it’s an event with lots of celebrities, mom. Like, actresses and singers and models and rich people. I would stand out like a sore thumb."
 
“Baby, you are a celebrity now."
 
“But—”
 
“Listen to me. Who are you going with?"
 
“Taeyeon?"
 
“Exactly. She’s the brightest star there is out there. If you’re going with her, you’re going to have to stand out. This is perfect."
 
Tiffany’s eyebrows twitched as she glanced at the neckline again. “I still think this is a little too much,” she said hesitantly. 
 
“I think it’s very nice, Tiffany. When have I ever lied to you?"
 
“Um, that time when you said I wasn’t sunburned at all but everyone called me Lobster for a month?"
 
“High school is a different story, Tiffany."
 
“Are you sure you’re not just saying this because you’re my mom?"
 
“Sweetie, I think Taeyeon would agree."
 
She stared at herself in the mirror again before finally sighing. “Okay, then. Thanks, mom."
 
“You’re welcome, dear. Remember, YOLO!"
 
Tiffany did not know where her mom had learned the phrase and honestly, she didn’t want to know. She checked the dress one last time before struggling out of it and back into her comfy sleep shorts and baggy tee. After hanging the dress on the doorknob of her closet, Tiffany looked at the clock. There was still a good half hour left before Taeyeon said she’d call back. Back to work, then.
 
She was looking at the email from her team leader and figuring out what words to put on the poster when her phone buzzed.
 
[taeyeon: u decent? can i call?]
 
Tiffany dialed and listened to the waiting tone until Taeyeon picked up. “Hey."
 
“Hello,” said Tiffany. She saved her work and leaned back into her chair. “What’s up?"
 
“I know you said you were going to be busy, but the organizers called to ask what name they should put on your invite."
 
“Oh,” said Tiffany, sitting up. “Just Tiffany Hwang is fine."
 
“Okay. No Korean name?"
 
“Is that the norm?"
 
“Not really, I just wanted to make sure you were okay with ‘Tiffany Hwang’."
 
“Yeah, that’s fine."
 
“Okay, then. I’ll let you get back to your work."
 
“Actually,” said Tiffany before she could stop herself, “what are you wearing to the event?"
 
“Uh, I’ll have to ask. Give me a second. Unnie?"
 
While Taeyeon talked to Minjoo, Tiffany checked the fonts on the poster, trying to decide on one. Bold? Flashy? Structured?
 
“Hello? Tiffany? It’s me, Minjoo."
 
“Oh! Hi!"
 
“What are you planning on wearing?"
 
“Um, a dress. Strapless, ends midthigh. Nothing too complex."
 
“Okay, good. Color?"
 
Tiffany winced. “It’s kind of, uh, bright red."
 
“Red?"
 
“Yeah. Is that okay?"
 
“Red would look good on you,” said Minjoo thoughtfully. “Okay. I’ll put Taeyeon in a dress too, then. Or…actually, let’s go with something a little more cliché. I’ll stuff her in a suit."
 
“Uh,” Tiffany blinked at the word choice, but Minjoo was still talking.
 
“Okay, black and white. Maybe a bit of grey. Any accessories?"
 
“Just earrings, I think. Silver."
 
She heard Minjoo sigh. “Taeyeon, Taeyeon, Taeyeon, why can’t you be fashionable like Tiffany. Anyway, Tiffany?"
 
“Yes?"
 
“I’ll come with Taeyeon when we pick you up, but I trust your taste so I’ll let you pick. Just don’t change too much from what you’ve told me, okay?"
 
“Got it."
 
“Okay. Here’s Taeyeon."
 
Tiffany smiled as she heard the quiet grumbling. “She seriously thinks I’m a pet to dress up,” muttered Taeyeon. 
 
“I wish I had someone to tell me what to wear, to be honest."
 
“Hmm? But you’re good at it."
 
“For work, maybe. But for big events like these?” Tiffany took a breath. “It’s a little daunting."
 
“You’ll be fine, I know it."
 
“Confident, aren’t you?"
 
“I mean, you’re the one staring at hot models all day long. I’m sure you know what you’re doing."
 
“Speaking of which, I’m a little more than halfway done with your poster."
 
“Ooh! Which picture did you pick?"
 
“You’ll see,” said Tiffany, minimizing the file even though Taeyeon definitely couldn’t see her screen.
 
“Not fair."
 
“You’ll see it before it’s printed anyway."
 
There was a pause, and then Taeyeon giggled. “Did this one give you a nosebleed?"
 
“Shut up!"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
happy anniversary, soshi :')